Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
As I said, gamers will buy literally anything marketed at them.

How about a magical wristband?

Or a $30 water bottle?

Or maybe even a lovely looking green and black neck strap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tracula posted:

Don't they have a pretty big presence at PAX though? I think on Retsutalk they mentioned seeing a bunch of ads for them everywhere.

Cards Against Humanity are just as obnoxious and unfunny only they do it by being disaffected and ironic instead of extreme and in your face. Like for Black Friday they actually charged $10 more because haha gently caress kkkonsumerism (please buy our cards) (also be sure to post this on your social media of choice so we get tons of free publicity for our toothless stunt)

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Cards Against Humanity are just as obnoxious and unfunny only they do it by being disaffected and ironic instead of extreme and in your face. Like for Black Friday they actually charged $10 more because haha gently caress kkkonsumerism (please buy our cards) (also be sure to post this on your social media of choice so we get tons of free publicity for our toothless stunt)

All hail King Aspergers!

(it's you, you're the king)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Source your quotes etc.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Haha he doesn't like the thing you guys.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Adam Bowen posted:

All hail King Aspergers!

(it's you, you're the king)

Are you really calling someone a sperg because they don't happen to like a company's marketing ploy? I mean, I think Cards Against Humanity is okay in small doses but even I get tired of their disaffected, tongue-planted-firmly-in-cheek pseudo-irreverence. The Pwnmeal thing is cute as a gag though.

VV - Fair enough.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I'm calling him a sperg because the concept of humor seems to confound and infuriate him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yea Cards Against Humanity was really hurting for publicity and name awareness when that joke happened last year.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The GIG posted:

Haha he doesn't like the thing you guys.

People with a very personal investment in the cold and calculated marketing of Apples to Apples For People Who Aren't Clever Enough For Innuendo are also terrible at basic human interaction? Surely there is zero correlation between the two.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm calling him a sperg because the concept of humor seems to confound and infuriate him.

Again, that's a large portion of the posts ITT

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

There's also the Gunnar Optiks gaming sunglasses: http://www.gunnars.com/

I got a free pair because they were promoting them at my work. They gave me a headache and made everything in every game look yellow. I ended up selling them on Amazon for nearly full price, so hey, free money.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's happening.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The thing that makes me mad about Cards Against Humanity is that I didn't think of it. Seriously what a simple goddamn idea it's just apples to apples with racier cards.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

AugmentedVision posted:

Again, that's a large portion of the posts ITT

More like a large portion of the posts in every gamers.txt thread that's ever been on this forum.

Or any other ______.txt thread, really.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There's also the Gunnar Optiks gaming sunglasses: http://www.gunnars.com/

I got a free pair because they were promoting them at my work. They gave me a headache and made everything in every game look yellow. I ended up selling them on Amazon for nearly full price, so hey, free money.

Holy gently caress are those all expensive. The names on all of them are completely retarded too.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

It's happening.

Hey, I see at least 4 different european countries represented here, what more diversity do you want? :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Earlier in this thread, somebody mentioned Ultrawinkle on The Escapist Forums. If you want crazy gamers.txt, you should look up the dude going by the handle CommanderPonyShep (also known as EternalNothingness)

He has an unhealthy obsession with Sonic, Capcom, Mass Effect and MLP, and constantly bemoans the sidelining of side characters whenever a protagonist takes center stage.
Here's a thread about him explaining why Capcom isn't making Megaman Games

quote:

Because it cranked out too many similar sequels and spin-offs that stagnated the living crap out of its core essence. You could say that it's like the polar opposite of Sonic the Hedgehog: Where Sonic changed the gameplay so much that he was no longer recognized for its speed, Megaman stuck so close to his roots, that he stayed the same and started stagnating.

And yet, both Sonic and Megaman appear in Smash Bros. 4, despite the fact that they had a history of crapping out inferior sequels and spin-offs that try to one-up Mario, but fail due to either changing too much like with Sonic, or not changing at all like with Megaman. At least with Mario, while it cranked out many sequels, it wasn't as much as Megaman and Sonic. Plus, the Mario franchise almost always finds a nice middle-ground between making changes to improve itself, and staying true to its original roots.

Hell, while we're at it, let's compare Sonic and Megaman with Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty, respectively. Like Sonic and Megaman, AC and CoD had also been releasing tons of sequels and spin-offs on an annual basis. Like Sonic did with his own speed, Assassin's Creed abandoned its own stealth and platforming based roots to focus on dumb and unnecessary features, such as economics and raising apprentices who rarely do anything for the player (sort of like Sonic's friends, right?). And like Megaman, Call of Duty stuck so true to its roots, that it started stagnating to death as well.

You might as well say that Assassin's Creed has become the new Sonic the Hedgehog, and that Call of Duty has become the new Megaman. After all, AC is all about free-running the same way Sonic was about fast-running. Meanwhile, Call of Duty involved just as much shooting as Megaman, but through a first-person perspective, with real-world weapons instead of fictionalized ones, and against other real players instead of robot-masters.

This guy has severe issues, and he's become a running joke on the escapist forums for a few years. One time he got a suspension for inflicting his inflation fetish on users by posting a bunch of fanart of fat sonic characters. He also has a twitter handle where he once harassed Lauren Faust nonstop for nearly two months uninterrupted.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 13, 2014

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Famethrowa posted:

Hey, I see at least 4 different european countries represented here, what more diversity do you want? :colbert:

You do realize that there exist underprivileged minorities other than black people, right?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

AugmentedVision posted:

You do realize that there exist underprivileged minorities other than black people, right?

Yeah, but the fact that there are literally zero non-white people in the diversity lounge is still pretty loving ironic and shows why it was such a terrible idea.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, but the fact that there are literally zero non-white people in the diversity lounge is still pretty loving ironic and shows why it was such a terrible idea.

Looking at the insignia for the lounge, I think it's about a different diversity. :gay:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

JGBeagle posted:

Looking at the insignia for the lounge, I think it's about a different diversity. :gay:

Yeah, I'm actually pretty sure that's exactly who its directed at, unless Gabe Mike managed to piss off people of color when I wasn't looking.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 13, 2014

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

JGBeagle posted:

Thank you for saving me hassle of having to spell it out.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Their stated purpose was "a resource for PAX attendees to find information related to issues surrounding women, LGBTQ, people of color, disabled people and mental health issues in gaming".

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

AugmentedVision posted:

No poo poo. It's just funny that they call it "diversity" when in reality it's "white people of differing sexual orientations."

I love explaining stupid jokes :smithicide:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

A group made mostly of queer white men in a area walled off from everywhere else is still nowhere near the picture of diversity you want us to think it is.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The diversity lounge is a great idea, now all the bros from #TeamRape can conveniently stalk and harass everyone on their list in a single convenient location. The days of disorganized Dickwolf flash mobs are long gone!

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

The GIG posted:

A group made mostly of queer white men in a area walled off from everywhere else is still nowhere near the picture of diversity you want us to think it is.

It's a lot loving better than just straight white males. This entire thread is full of people making fun of homophobia, racism and misogyny, and now you're making fun of attempts to rectify that, because its not "diverse enough"? Sorry it's not up to your personal standards of diversity. I'm sure your circle of friends is much more diverse.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

AugmentedVision posted:

It's a lot loving better than just straight white males. This entire thread is full of people making fun of homophobia, racism and misogyny, and now you're making fun of attempts to rectify that, because its not "diverse enough"? Sorry it's not up to your personal standards of diversity. I'm sure your circle of friends is much more diverse.

Considering I'm a black bisexual in a lower income area and I am kinda pretty active in activism in a hilariously conservative and backwards state, yeah, it kinda is more diverse.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

AugmentedVision posted:

The point is that it's the exact opposite of what should be happening. They're basically saying "Hey all you different people, come sit in this room instead of out with the rest of us :smug:"

I mean I'm sure they had the best intentions but it comes off as absurdly ignorant of what the actual problems are.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

The GIG posted:

Considering I'm a black bisexual in a lower income area and am I kinda active in activism in a hilariously conservative and backwards state, yeah, it kinda is more diverse.

Sorry for assuming. I take it EVERY person ITT making fun of the diversity booth is also an outlier and doesn't overwhelmingly hang out with people of their own race, sexual orientation, and possibly even gender?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

AugmentedVision posted:

Christ you're insufferable.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

The Shortest Path posted:

The point is that it's the exact opposite of what should be happening. They're basically saying "Hey all you different people, come sit in this room instead of out with the rest of us :smug:"

I mean I'm sure they had the best intentions but it comes off as absurdly ignorant of what the actual problems are.

Well that can be said about every single diversity initiative ("why is the college LGBT club hanging out together instead of out mingling with the straights?"), and is a complex issue that probably won't be solved in gamers.txt.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

AugmentedVision posted:

Well that can be said about every single diversity initiative ("why is the college LGBT club hanging out together instead of out mingling with the straights?"), and is a complex issue that probably won't be solved in gamers.txt.

It's an issue that cannot and will not be solved in the gaming industry of all places, and that's why a lot of the stupid arguments about it are what get laughed at in threads like this.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

The Shortest Path posted:

Yeah, their intention was to provide a safe space where minorities could hang out together. In practice, it looks like the guy with a history of intolerance is saying "Hey, go hang out in this walled off area where you won't gay up our convention" and in the worst case it puts them all in one convenient place for drunk assholes to come harass them. I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm not sure it was a good idea in the end.

Unrelated:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

The Iron Rose posted:

Christ you're insufferable.

Eh, he's going out of his way to threadshit and/or troll. Give it a few more days and he'll probably have earned himself some red text or the kitty cage.

Oh christ. Didn't this guy ask this question before or bring it up in a dozen different ways on gamefaqs? I seem to recall some insane obsession with Lightning's feet from one guy who would not stop talking about it at all.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Tracula posted:

Eh, he's going out of his way to threadshit and/or troll. Give it a few more days and he'll probably have earned himself some red text or the kitty cage.
Yeah, articulating arguments that disagree with the general consensus is "threadshitting". Love how you say that while quoting a guy who actually posted a zero-content threadshit post.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Those clubs are set up as a safe place for people to hang with other people like them without having to worry about ridicule and is usually maintained by people of the group the represent. The lounge reeks of being a shallow make good PR stunt that offers no benefit other than to say "Look we totally care!" by a bunch of dudes who royally hosed up and a lot of who they're trying to attract recognize it as such.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
That gamers.txt is coming from inside the thread!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

AugmentedVision posted:

Yeah, articulating arguments that disagree with the general consensus is "threadshitting". Love how you say that while quoting a guy who actually posted a zero-content threadshit post.

Calling the in-action gamers.txt insufferable is exactly on content, though. That's kind of what the thread is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

AugmentedVision posted:

All straight cis-male white shitlords are basically rapists and slave-owners. Any attempt they make to understand or help solve the problems of minority groups are actually just for their own benefit. When a person is born with a penis, light skin, and a sexual attraction to females, he is also completely incapable of empathy. What part of that don't you understand?

• Locked thread