Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Twin-Linked Flamethrowers, Dual-Fusion Welders, Microfiltering, Purify the Colony, but do the Great Train Robbery first.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Purify the Colony
Exterminatus! Beware the alien, the mutant, the infested. :black101:

GKirby
Jun 19, 2008

I DID IT ALL FOR THE GAMBIT
Buy Advanced Construction.
Research Orbital Depots.

And lets do The Great Train Robbery, because, well, you know.

(I don't know if you'll allow this in voting, but if Safe Haven wins, I choose to Purify the Colony.)

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

my dad posted:

Micro-filtering and save the cash.

Great Train Robbery.

Seconded or thirded or whatever.

ExodusPrime0
Feb 1, 2010

Poil posted:

Seige Breakers, Micro Filtering, and The Great Train Robbery. Seems like a good choice to me.

I'll back this decision.
Regarding the Haven mission, I've always been one for protecting the colonists. Just sits right in my book.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ExodusPrime0 posted:

Regarding the Haven mission, I've always been one for protecting the colonists. Just sits right in my book.

Happy endings are over rated. Sometimes you just need to watch everything burn and build a pile of corpses.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Right Now, the purge ending makes more sense, it's also more fun. The ending of the game makes it kind of a dickpunch though.

The other non-canon mission is more fun than it's counterpart as well.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Kurieg posted:

Right Now, the purge ending makes more sense, it's also more fun. The ending of the game makes it kind of a dickpunch though.

On the other hand you get the very awesomest unit from the canon one (assuming given what is said in HotS that we don't help that unfriendly lady).

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Wait, but the canon one is way more fun than the non-canon one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Laughing Zealot posted:

One thing about the colony mission choice here, Blizzard declared at some point which one is canon: Defending the colony is the canon choice.

Well, now that you say that, :black101: CLEANSE THE PLANET OF THE FILTH :black101:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Feinne posted:

On the other hand you get the very awesomest unit from the canon one (assuming given what is said in HotS that we don't help that unfriendly lady).

Yeah, the canon path is not helping the unfriendly lady. Which is a pity because the post-battle cutscene is amazing.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Looking good there, Tychus, but... I don't know, there's something... off about you. Wait: zoom and enhance!

It's a kitty!

Goddamn, I cannot unsee this.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kurieg posted:

You're nuts.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
Voting Closed!

Upgrade:

Siege Breakers - 14

Save our money - 12
Maelstrom Rounds - 6
Thermite Filaments - 2
Twin Linked Flamethrower - 1
Dual Fusion Welders - 1
Advanced Construction - 1

Research:

Micro-filtering - 30

Orbital Depots - 2

Mission:

Great Train Robbery - 31

Purify - 3
Protect - 1

Raldan fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 15, 2014

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)

Xoidanor posted:

Are you going to be showing off both the endings of Haven or will you put that off until the campaign is done?

I'll probably be showing off the alternate missions after we make our choice. I think it's better than waiting until the whole campaign is done.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Siege Breakers are one of the mercenary contracts that I always pick up because they are a) in-loving-credible and b) available way quicker than normal siege tanks unless you started the mission teched up enough to make them.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Feinne posted:

Siege Breakers are one of the mercenary contracts that I always pick up because they are a) in-loving-credible and b) available way quicker than normal siege tanks unless you started the mission teched up enough to make them.

Yeah, having a pair of big rear end guns to help defend early game can make or break you sometimes. Especially if you suck at SC2 like I do. I just can't break out of the mindset of small elite forces... I find it a bit of a pity that the promotions in game don't actually do anything to the stats of a unit, because that marine that killed 100 things should be pretty drat good at it by the end of the mission. Though it is kinda fun to see that marine go up the ranks.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Now that I'm caught up with the LP I can comment on how much I love seeing players destroy Brutal difficulty. I always had trouble if I lost concentration on Normal, and barely dipped my toes into the waters of Hard, so it's very impressive and kinda cathartic, whether it's this LP or one of Raelcun's AGDQ/SGDQ speed runs. Using the barracks trick to let your siege tanks murder all the Protoss is amazing to me because I could never pull it off even without the stacked odds of Brutal.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I tend to run this when I've got air units and use them to spot for the laser drill on the enemy buildings.

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011

Feinne posted:

I tend to run this when I've got air units and use them to spot for the laser drill on the enemy buildings.

You don't need air units when you have floating barracks. :colbert:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

ArkhamPraetor posted:

It's irritating when you plop your overlord down on a nice safe scouting spot and the other guy floats his rax up so his marines can shoot it.

But it is nice if it was a rax they walled in with. :zerg:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

CrazySalamander posted:

It's irritating when you plop your overlord down on a nice safe scouting spot and the other guy floats his rax up so his marines can shoot it.

But it is nice if it was a rax they walled in with. :zerg:

That's why you shoo the overlord away with one or two marines and build away from it. :smugbert:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

ArkhamPraetor posted:

You don't need floating barracks when you can scanner sweep and take out all their pylons :colbert:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
So watching When Cheese fails made me want to watch more competitive Starcraft, preferably with less awful commentators. Does anyone have recommendations of where to find good matches, preferably somewhere that doesn't spoil the result?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Patrick Spens posted:

So watching When Cheese fails made me want to watch more competitive Starcraft, preferably with less awful commentators. Does anyone have recommendations of where to find good matches, preferably somewhere that doesn't spoil the result?

Well, you have a few options.

Pretty soon there will be the GSL super tournament, which is basically going to be the best of the best slugging it out in Korea. I'm not sure if VODs will be available, and I assume that they will be broadcasting at times that are most convenient to Korean viewers.

There is sort of a "main" SC2 season, where the three regions (America, Europe, Korea) play their league championships. Broadly speaking they are divided into two leagues, where the lower one feeds into the upper one (For AM and EU, Challenger -> Premier; for KR, Code A -> Code S). Each region broadcasts games at times that are most convenient for their region, so you could find a good game most any day during the main season... it just finished last weekend, though. WCS: AM is running their qualifier tournament for Challenger right this minute if you want to check that out.

If you are interested in seeing a team league, Proleague is ongoing, and has some incredible games. In individual leagues, you have brackets, best of X series, etc. In Proleague, the teams roundrobin, and play players on specific maps with matches announced ahead of time. PL games tend to be much better planned than individual leagues, as a result, and the games can be quite a bit different. On still a third hand, the Proleague casters are absolutely insufferable.

If you would like to see something closer to home, zeez, Something Awful's SC2 team is participating in the SC2CTL in both the Advanced (Plat/Diamond) and Competitive (Master/GM) leagues. If there is enough interest, I would be happy to cross-advertise when streams for [zeez] events are going live in this thread. Raldan and I have been known to cast a large number of [zeez] events, sometimes with random [zeez] guest stars. We aren't as good as the professionals, but you could root for your ~local heroes~!

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
I would just like to add that if you want to see good SC2 games, the WCS website contains the videos for all their matches at http://wcs.battle.net/sc2/en/videos

There is a switch on the top right to turn off spoilers, and you can watch a ton of great games there. I suggest watching the WCS Korea Code S games, as those generally have both good quality players and good casters.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It'd be tricky to do so without spoiling the results but you could track down last year's WCS finals on youtube pretty easily most likely. The final match especially was... interesting.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Day 9 and Total Biscuit do a thing where they upload as many videos as there should be games, and if it's over in 3 then game 4 and 5 are just a random length of silence.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Raldan posted:

I would just like to add that if you want to see good SC2 games, the WCS website contains the videos for all their matches at http://wcs.battle.net/sc2/en/videos

There is a switch on the top right to turn off spoilers, and you can watch a ton of great games there. I suggest watching the WCS Korea Code S games, as those generally have both good quality players and good casters.

Had a quick look at some of the matches there: does no one play Zerg? Unless I'm reading things wrong, it looks like the most recent match featuring Zerg is 8 months old. Strikes me as a bit weird.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
I think the race filter does not work on that website. When you filter by race there aren't any videos within the last 8 months. If you don't know any of the players, I guess you're just going to have to hunt around for zergs. You shouldn't have too much trouble just selecting some random games and finding a zerg.

Edit: If you want some specific zerg players, you could search for Jaedong, Revival, Scarlett, Snute, Hyun, to name a few.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I thought there was something odd there. Then again, the meta for these kind of games gets weird as hell sometimes, so I was honestly starting to wonder if all the big names favoured Protoss and Terran exclusively. Thanks for giving me some suggestions.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm loving the LP but I've never played StarCraft so I'm not too familiar with the story and characters. Is there a decent LP of the first game and/or Brood War with a non-irritating LPer? The ones I've found on YouTube all seem to have that "now I want to stab something" quality.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

I'm loving the LP but I've never played StarCraft so I'm not too familiar with the story and characters. Is there a decent LP of the first game and/or Brood War with a non-irritating LPer? The ones I've found on YouTube all seem to have that "now I want to stab something" quality.

I can't say there is offhand but I know there's a person on two on SA who want to do one sometime in the future.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Man the new voice actor for Zeratul just doesn't have the same character as the original.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I felt pretty much the same way about the Adjutant.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I miss the Adjutant being a actual cyborg instead of a robot/AI. Don't mind the new voice much though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I mainly miss the SC1 style conversations. More than two people in most conversations and the writing felt much better than SC2's, which tends towards the melodramatic even without getting into what Metzen has said is the real focus of the Starcraft 1 and 2 storyline.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Honestly for me the Zerg campaign has better characters and thus better conversations. Even if you don't like how Kerrigan acts in a few of the scenes she's got some pretty great interplay with some of the... entities that are hanging about at different times.

Fred Tatasciore is doing Zeratul now (also Swann), his original VA Jack Ritschel seems not to have done anything since Brood War so maybe he's just not doing voice work anymore. Most people who aren't Mengsk and Raynor have new voice actors, which is sad but not really surprising given how much time passed between Brood War and Wings of Liberty.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 16, 2014

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Feinne posted:

Honestly for me the Zerg campaign has better characters and thus better conversations. Even if you don't like how Kerrigan acts in a few of the scenes she's got some pretty great interplay with some of the... entities that are hanging about at different times.

Fred Tatasciore is doing Zeratul now (also Swann), his original VA Jack Ritschel seems not to have done anything since Brood War so maybe he's just not doing voice work anymore. Most people who aren't Mengsk and Raynor have new voice actors, which is sad but not really surprising given how much time passed between Brood War and Wings of Liberty.

Fred Tatasciore isn't doing any more voice work because he's passed away.

EDIT: Nevermind, got the wrong guy!

SoggyBobcat fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Reminds me a bit of people complaining about the new actor playing Spartacus in... the Spartacus series, not realizing that the previous actor died of cancer.

The only time that more than two people are speaking with each other are in certain dialogues directly before or after a mission. I think this has something to do with how you can miss certain characters due to not having done their mission/sided with their enemy, and since you can have so many variations on when you do which mission, they had no choice but to make most conversations for two people only. They obviously did not have the problem in SC1 or Brood War, where the story was entirely linear.

• Locked thread