Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Power of Pecota posted:

Am I playing Rumble wrong or is his lategame scaling pretty weak? I tried him for a while after the new skin was announced (he was the first top laner I really liked) and maybe it's just because I moved to Mundo and Jax afterwards but the last few times I've played Rumble I've done great in laning phase but can't really transition that to later success.

What do you usually build on him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I'm kind of sad about the recent rune changes. Sounds like to me that it's going to take a long time for me to rebuild my rune pages. All I really care about are normals and I basically planned on only using 1 rune page ever because :effort: and now even that 1 rune page is updated. :negative:

If I wanted just 1 general page for everything, though I main support and I try to play support as often as I can when not in bot-games, what changes should I make to the following skill page?

9 flat armor seals.
9 hybrid penetration marks.
9 flat magic resist glyphs.
3 HP quintessences.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 10, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That's probably still a solid rune page that serves your needs. If you want an optimal support page though you'll need flat health seals and flat armor quints now.

That will be 7153 IP please.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 10, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mierenneuker posted:

That's probably still a solid rune page that serves your needs. If you want an optimal support page though you'll need flat health seals and flat armor quints now.

I thought the consensus was that flat health seals were only worthwhile for mids? The main thread moves way too fast but someone posted about a guy who did the math on reddit posting his findings.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The problem is that health en masse is much easier to itemize for than armor on a lot of champs, especially early game when you're trying to build the items that make your champion work competitively. That being said, there's never been a better time than now to go HP yellows, and runes should be used for early game power 90% of the time anyway.

saiyr
May 23, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

I thought the consensus was that flat health seals were only worthwhile for mids? The main thread moves way too fast but someone posted about a guy who did the math on reddit posting his findings.

I think that was speaking of non-tanky support runes, where defensive quints aren't used. Check this post:

Libertine posted:

I flip flopped my yellows and quints for almost all of my support pages for HP Yellow and Armor Quint. The Armor Quint is probably one of the most stat efficient quints in the game now, and flat HP and armor yellows are about the same.

So whereas before you'd have 13 armor / 78 hp for 9x yellow 3x quint, now you can get:

9 armor / 78 hp from the same setup, or 13 armor / 72 hp from flipping them. And every champion gets the 4 bonus armor. I'd rather have 17 total armor and 72 hp at level 1 than the alternative, and if you are running like Taric for example you can still run a full armor page no problems.

That extra armor boost from the quints is basically the equivalent of getting 2-3 points in Armor tree in a hybrid defense/utility build, and now since you can do that off just the rune page, I don't think I'm going to run a 14/16 or 16/14 page ever again, just going 21 utility every time with an off-tree.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

rabidsquid posted:

With the buffs to health seals you now get better results with them + armor quints than the opposite (which was common on supports previously).
e;f,b by the Libertine knowledge bomb on this

My understanding is that health is better for bottom lane in general because it features a lot of mixed damage (all the supports do magic damage with their abilities). I may be totally wrong on this.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 10, 2014

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

rabidsquid posted:

The old standby for support was flat armor yellows, MR blues, and HP quints, with reds to taste depending on who you were playing. Now, if you mix up your yellows and quints, you can actually get more HP and the same amount of armor using the same slots -- I think it's 1 HP quint, 2 armor quints, and 5 armor yellows/4 HP yellows. 3 armor quints and 9 HP yellows also gives you more effective HP than 3 HP quints and 9 armor yellows. Mind you, AP or poky supports will probably do better with armor yellows and AP or AD quints, since they're not going all-in as often.

I personally just remade my tank support page with armor reds, HP yellows, MR blues, 2 armor quints, and an HP regen quint. I start Ruby Crystal instead of a support item, and I walk into lane with over 800 HP and just as much armor as before the changes, with the HP regen to help tide me over till I can buy more sustain.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I only have two rune pages and I am not level 30 yet, and I want to pick up a bunch of runes while the sale is still going. I've got 2x AD quints, 2x AP quints, 1x lifesteal quint, 9 armor yellow, 9 AD red, 9 mpen red, and 9 MR blue.

I mostly play ADC, so I was thinking of picking up 1 or 2 more lifesteal quints. I also picked up Udyr so I was thinking of maybe grabbing some attack speed marks. Quints too? How good are hybrid pen runes? Move speed quints?

Basically what are some not obvious runes I should pick up during this sale.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

rabidsquid posted:

I only have two rune pages and I am not level 30 yet, and I want to pick up a bunch of runes while the sale is still going. I've got 2x AD quints, 2x AP quints, 1x lifesteal quint, 9 armor yellow, 9 AD red, 9 mpen red, and 9 MR blue.

I mostly play ADC, so I was thinking of picking up 1 or 2 more lifesteal quints. I also picked up Udyr so I was thinking of maybe grabbing some attack speed marks. Quints too? How good are hybrid pen runes? Move speed quints?

Basically what are some not obvious runes I should pick up during this sale.

Here are what I feel are the bare minimums for each slot:

Quints: 3 AP, 3 Move Speed, 1 AD, 2 Lifesteal - Lifesteal is pretty much mandatory for ADCs, and you can even get all 3 if you really want. Movespeed is fantastic - it's the default for most junglers and is good as a specialty page for some kiting laners like Ryze or Teemo or Vladimir or Darius. Not only is it an important stat to have early if you're running around the map, it's also relatively hard to buy in the shop.

Reds: AD, Attack Speed, Hybrid Pen - Attack Speed is still best in slot on most junglers because of how much faster it makes the first clear. Hybrid Pen is likewise the best red for pretty much any AP mid because everyone uses autoattacks, and it only gives like 2.5 less magic penetration than straight MPen reds. MPen reds are like a quarter of the price, though, so they're really not THAT bad if you don't want to spend so much on runes right away.

Yellows: Flat Armor. Just armor, really. Flat HPs are basically a sidegrade that gives you a small advantage in some matchups and isn't as good against poky lanes or when you have a lot of sustain. And again, armor is a quarter of the price, so only buy HPs if you can afford it and have enough pages to be able to set specialty pages for different matchups. I also like MP regen yellows on some of my mids, but the same applies -- you don't want to take MP/5 yellows against a Zed or Riven or something.

Blues: Flat MR is the safe choice for two rune pages. You can usually afford to get scaling MR on ADCs, and I like 6 CDR blues on some champs (5% CDR) for a nice 10% total CDR with masteries at level 1.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Trip Report: Got comfortable with Nocturn and Feral Flame. The Yi I was jungling against went the same route. Really opened my eyes over how important farming and counterjungling is. By the end of the game I had 24 FF stacks while the Yi only had 23 Wriggles stacks.

This really helped me with keeping on top of buff timers and understanding when a good time to counter jungle is.

saiyr
May 23, 2004
Maybe a stupid question here. I was watching Phreak's Ashe commentary (http://www.twitch.tv/phreakstream/c/4034930) where he says that he actually clicks minions for numerical health so he knows when he can last hit. Do people actually do this? Seems very painful to do. The only time I've ever clicked a monster is to smite it.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
I never look at health numbers when last hitting. That seems insane to me, I can't look up to the health bar in the upper corner and then back to the actual lane and hope to click in the right place.

The only time I occasionally look at the health numbers is for early smites against red/blue buffs and I think there might be potential for a smite battle.

I feel like I steal more than my share of dragons/barons, and I don't look at the numbers for that, it changes too fast to be useful, especially with somewhere between 4 and 6 other champions doing damage to the objective.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I look when I'm in the jungle. The only reason I don't look in lane is that I'm too lazy to figure out how to calculate the damage of each AA. It's really helpful, and I would suggest doing it.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

saiyr posted:

Maybe a stupid question here. I was watching Phreak's Ashe commentary (http://www.twitch.tv/phreakstream/c/4034930) where he says that he actually clicks minions for numerical health so he knows when he can last hit. Do people actually do this? Seems very painful to do. The only time I've ever clicked a monster is to smite it.

I usually do it for a couple creeps when I've gotten some new items or just when it's been long enough that the creeps have gotten reasonably stronger just to take note of how much damage I do relative to the creeps' health at that point in the game.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

saiyr posted:

Yeah I don't think Phreak actually does this, at least not when he's streaming. That was probably just one of those "sounds cool" things. I know I don't and I'm pretty sure most people don't.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

I look when I'm in the jungle. The only reason I don't look in lane is that I'm too lazy to figure out how to calculate the damage of each AA. It's really helpful, and I would suggest doing it.

I look when I'm in the jungle too, but only for my smiting. Everything else I try and feel out, but having that smite number down precisely every time is a huge boon when jungling.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Speaking from personal experience, find a resolution you like (1366x768 I prefer for some reason over 1920x1080) and then just eyeball pixels. That's all you need to lane.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yeah I don't think Phreak actually does this, at least not when he's streaming. That was probably just one of those "sounds cool" things. I know I don't and I'm pretty sure most people don't.

I do it if I haven't played in a while. Phreak may have large stretches of the week where he is too busy to be playing League. It's important to get into a rhythm early in lane so your farming is easier throughout the game and looking at minion health in the top right is a surefire way to tell if you're going to kill it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

exethan posted:

I do it if I haven't played in a while. Phreak may have large stretches of the week where he is too busy to be playing League. It's important to get into a rhythm early in lane so your farming is easier throughout the game and looking at minion health in the top right is a surefire way to tell if you're going to kill it.

I mean after the first attack on a creep you should know about how much damage you do to it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey, I just played my first match as Garen and died a whole bunch, would you guys mind looking over the replay and telling me what I did wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yin9d6eudnlqr4l/Turtlicious%20-%20Garen.lrf

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Hey, I just played my first match as Garen and died a whole bunch, would you guys mind looking over the replay and telling me what I did wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yin9d6eudnlqr4l/Turtlicious%20-%20Garen.lrf

I will look over this later tonight if no one else has.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Looking at it now. Didn't notice earlier but from I can see already.

1. CS harder. CS'ing gives gold and gold is the second most important thing in this game. Objectives are higher.

2. Ignite/Heal is probably not the pick of summoners for Garen top. Teleport/Flash or Teleport/Ghost should work. Teleport is just really good on top laners.

3. Keep an eye out for minion aggro. Early on, minions attacking you will cause tons of damage. Just because they're minions don't assume they do nothing. Also, respect tower damage. It doesn't stop hurting until you've beefed up significantly. Maybe once you've got your sunfire you can do dives, but don't risk it. Dives are delicate things. At L12, don't worry about diving. Get used to tower damage first in bots.

4. Don't pick a fight with a fed enemy. Unless you've got some overwhelming advantage elsewhere (2v1, fed enemy is really low) don't risk it. Levels give AD, HP, Armor and a lot more. Having a level advantage makes you significantly stronger, especially in the early game. Both you and that Pantheon were significantly behind. Shouldn't have tried to fight that Garen in lane.

Stopped watching at 10 minutes. Someone else want to take over from here?

Mysticblade fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 27, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Am I playing Ziggs wrong, or is he just a really lovely matchup for Nidalee? Because when I played earlier I got my rear end handed to me, because every spear that would hit would be almost an instakill, and once her ult popped, gg.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Uh you should shove her as soon as you step into lane because you're Ziggs, and by the time she's 6 you should have your chalice pieces so you can just jump away if she tries to cat you. Dodge spears.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I'm terrible with his W, so yeah, that explains it. :downs:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I'm terrible, so yeah, that explains it. :downs:

We can tell you how the matchup works, but you still have to execute

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Oh cool, I needed a reminder of why I stopped playing for a while, thanks

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Oh cool, I needed a reminder of why I stopped playing for a while, thanks

Not sure why you're salty about that, since he's kind of right. Even if we give you tips for every possible thing that could happen in the matchup you still need to be able to make it happen in-game.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Trynd tips please. I haven't played LoL in years (I prefer Dota) but I've been loving around with it lately since some of my friends play. I've been solo queing Trynd and despite generally doing fine in lane and out csing my entire team easily I constantly die and feel horribly ineffective. Help me not be inexplicably terrible at this game.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012
Tryndamere's Ult keeps you from dying for a limited amount of time, making you incredibly good at towerdiving and splitpushing. A well-fed Tryndamere can push separate from his team and when they collapse on ult, ult and get away still. If your team is even halfway decent, they should be pushing other lanes while you distract. In terms of just skills, you're at your best in a team comp with a lot of CC, where you can spin in and throw down a bunch of autos. He benefits a lot from attack speed, crits, and attack damage, because of his passive. I asked a few friends and they suggested a Zeal for a good first item.

Your spin can take you over some walls on Summoner's Rift for good escapes. Look for thin spots in the walls when you're being chased and you can put some distance between yourself and your pursuers.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mysticblade posted:

Looking at it now. Didn't notice earlier but from I can see already.

1. CS harder. CS'ing gives gold and gold is the second most important thing in this game. Objectives are higher.

2. Ignite/Heal is probably not the pick of summoners for Garen top. Teleport/Flash or Teleport/Ghost should work. Teleport is just really good on top laners.

3. Keep an eye out for minion aggro. Early on, minions attacking you will cause tons of damage. Just because they're minions don't assume they do nothing. Also, respect tower damage. It doesn't stop hurting until you've beefed up significantly. Maybe once you've got your sunfire you can do dives, but don't risk it. Dives are delicate things. At L12, don't worry about diving. Get used to tower damage first in bots.

4. Don't pick a fight with a fed enemy. Unless you've got some overwhelming advantage elsewhere (2v1, fed enemy is really low) don't risk it. Levels give AD, HP, Armor and a lot more. Having a level advantage makes you significantly stronger, especially in the early game. Both you and that Pantheon were significantly behind. Shouldn't have tried to fight that Garen in lane.

Stopped watching at 10 minutes. Someone else want to take over from here?

Thanks for the crit! I posted earlier but I guess the forum ate it. :shobon:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

SC Bracer posted:

Not sure why you're salty about that, since he's kind of right. Even if we give you tips for every possible thing that could happen in the matchup you still need to be able to make it happen in-game.

Because he put it in a really dickish way? Look at the quote in his post.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
I would build BorK before Zeal on Tryndamere. Generally I go BorK, Shiv, and then either IE or Last Whisper depending on how much armor they have.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Hey noobie league friends, I, Daunte Vicknabb, am streaming some League of Legends. Come in and ask me questions about stuff, or just talk to me about beer and other cool person things. I don't really care!

https://www.twitch.tv/dauntevicknabb

Austrian Mook not allowed.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Can someone explain to me how support synergy works? For example, I've seen a lot of guides that say "Oh Leona works well with so-and-so because of her initiate", but by that logic, wouldn't she work well with every ADC?

I guess my question is, should I memorize these things or can I look at their kit and make an educated guess?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
You can eventually look at kits and make that guess. It depends on a lot things like how an adc or support lanes. For example, a high synergy lane is Caitlyn/Karma because they both have stupid amounts of poke. Don't worry about memorising these things. It'll come with time and experience.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You should try to read up a bit on what the general goal of each support/carry is. They all have different power spikes and certain combos have glaring weaknesses in exchange for a certain strength, and you have to know what that strength IS or you're not getting what you need out of the matchup and there's no reason to play it.

Leona is a champion that is very binary as far as supports go. You are either standing there, not fighting, or you are going ham and getting in their ADC's face and fighting (this is laning anyway). Since going all in is a core tenet of what makes Leona work, being behind is pretty much not acceptable at all. Therefore, Leona pairs well with all adc, but excels with the carries who have a brutal early game as well (which they obviously trade for other things as well.) In addition, Leona derives a lot of damage from her passive, which can be applied with her gap closer, stun, shield AoE, and ult, but can only get 1 stack at a time on an enemy. Since she can use multiple skills in quick succession, she maximizes her bursty nature when she works with a carry that can constantly deal damage so she doesn't have to waste passive procs. Champions like Corki, who just poo poo constant damage, or Twitch, who has a true damage DoT that applies with a single auto, work very well. Champions with bully strength like Miss Fortune also work because MF needs just that 1 stun and some damage from the support to do her job and blow up whoever.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

parara posted:

Can someone explain to me how support synergy works? For example, I've seen a lot of guides that say "Oh Leona works well with so-and-so because of her initiate", but by that logic, wouldn't she work well with every ADC?

I guess my question is, should I memorize these things or can I look at their kit and make an educated guess?

What Bond said is all true. Generally, take a look at who you are playing and think about what their strengths and weaknesses are. For example, Nami is a cool fish lady who can beat the poo poo out of anyone in a sustained damage trade but doesn't have much in the way of burst. A synergistic pick would be something like Ashe, who has a high damage nuke in Volley and a potential followup crit(and even moreso if you build Shiv Ashe, which is my favourite way to build her) because it helps smooth out the weaknesses and also works very well with Nami in that her slows will help land bubbles.

Synergy isn't just what your weaknesses are, but it's also the strengths. If you are playing what amounts to a kill lane with support Fiddlesticks and Lucian you can say that's a relatively synergistic lane. It's not very good at sustain, but the idea is you can kill one person extremely quickly so it doesn't really matter. I'm not saying that's the best lane, just that Fiddlesticks tends to pair well with aggressive bursty carries because they can make a ton of use out of his kit to make kills happen very easily.

In general, you want to partition the supports such that more passive supports are put into one category, burst supports in another, all in supports, sustain supports in another, and et cetera. If you see someone pick something like a Vayne they probably want to farm, so picking a passive or a sustain support is the good way to go.

Also note that just because a support lends itself well to passive gameplay doesn't mean they are inherently passive: Janna is a passive support, and lends herself well to keeping a lane pretty calm. However you can also go loving hurricane on people, flash in, Q, W the other guy, ult, then run in and exhaust their carry and shield yours and pick up an easy double kill. Part of lane synergy isn't just studying the theory, it's also studying how your lane partner plays and adjusting to suit that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Thanks for the help all, appreciate it! I've mostly been playing Sona and Karma and picking them... whenever I felt like it, not so much based on what champ the ADC would pick. (not level 30 yet so I have an excuse. Sort of.)

I'll start paying more attention and get some practice in on different supports so I know a bit better re: what makes a good lane match-up.

• Locked thread