Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Steel Diver is fun except for getting TKed by japanese people in 75% of the matches :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nothing in particular, I've just barely heard anything about it. I know it has RPG combat sections, which seemed kinda out of place, I expected something mega-casual.

It is a simplified blend of Animal Crossing and Rune Factory. None of its parts are complex save for the fact that there is an metric asston of things to collect like items for recipes and quests, some of them you have to run a level multiple times ala Monster Hunter hoping they will drop. You run a café and pretty much become Yen Sid's apprentice because friendship is magic or some horseshit, helping a few Disney worlds drive out rear end in a top hat ghosts. I guess in that way it becomes Animal Crossing Hearts, just sans the JRPG murkiness with more Japanese Disney-ry substituted in. I've been enjoying it, but I do like busybody fantasy life sims.

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW

Jackard posted:

I dunno, the game constantly throwing new characters at you and not providing enough story missions to use any of them seems like a bigger problem to me.

Who plays FE for the story missions?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BlueDestiny posted:

Steel Diver is fun except for getting TKed by japanese people in 75% of the matches :saddowns:

I'll never understand why that game allows friendly fire, its like Nintendo doesn't understand the kind of dregs that play 90% of online games.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Tell me about Hori screen protectors for an XL, I ordered a set and it arrived yesterday.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Level-5 Yokai Watch has really started to take off in Japan over the last couple of months, and now this... thing, is going viral:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyKLQXOj0ts

Ok Im sold whens it coming to America

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Party in the UAE posted:

I assume the people who bought the last twelve games. Well, bought the last five and pirated the other seven since most of them were never localized. :v:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

BlueDestiny posted:

I don't know why, but I've rarely - if ever - been TK'd, unless by colorblind idiots. Like me. Sorry!

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Gutcruncher posted:

Ok Im sold whens it coming to America

Going by Inazuma Eleven's example...I'd say about four more years to keep in line with IE's five year gap between JPN -> US release.

I'm still hoping that we can get the rest of the IE games here in a somewhat reasonable time frame, but I still wouldn't be surprised if nothing comes of it. (Which it likely won't. :negative:)

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
My R button on my launch 3ds is starting to go and I've decided to just upgrade to an XL. Does anyone know any stores which have sales or good deals on units? I don't mind paying 200 too much, but I wouldn't mind saving some cash as well!

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Original_Z posted:

My R button on my launch 3ds is starting to go and I've decided to just upgrade to an XL. Does anyone know any stores which have sales or good deals on units? I don't mind paying 200 too much, but I wouldn't mind saving some cash as well!

i believe walmart has em for $170 with a free game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

C-Euro posted:

Tell me about Hori screen protectors for an XL, I ordered a set and it arrived yesterday.

If you have them already why don't you just look at them yourself...?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

You should put them on your 3DS. That's what I did when mine arrived and it worked out pretty well.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I feel like Link Between Worlds really demonstrates the divide between Zelda fans. For those of us that grew up with the 3D Zelda's it's good but not the second coming or anything. I think that's because I define a good Zelda game by the world and the characters, which I would say are the two weakest parts of LBW. Like, Majora's Mask only had a few dungeons but I loved it because of how drat interesting the setting was. Fans that grew up with the 2D Zelda games on the other hand seem to prioritize a sense of exploration and discovery more.

I'm liking LBW a lot, it really is an excellent game (just got to the Shadow Temple which is awesome) but I wouldn't say it's quite as good as it was hyped up to be, for me at least.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

PantsBandit posted:

I feel like Link Between Worlds :words:

New Zelda is great, until it gets too easy halfway through the Dark World, then it's just good. The dungeons should have used a progressive difficulty system where they get harder based on how many of them you've beaten, that way they could still use the "do them in any order" gimmick.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Party in the UAE posted:

The older games in the series are entirely story missions.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LBW is a nice challenge on Hero Mode. It's a shame you have to beat the game once on normal before you can play it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

New Zelda is great, until it gets too easy halfway through the Dark World, then it's just good. The dungeons should have used a progressive difficulty system where they get harder based on how many of them you've beaten, that way they could still use the "do them in any order" gimmick.

The lack of gradual progression in dungeons is a shame, but I felt like the puzzles at least did some creative stuff within the constraint of having only the dungeon item and turning into a painting. Overall I think LBW is a good Zelda on the whole, although renting could have been handled better.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What I really liked about LBW's puzzles was not necessarily that they were challenging, but rather that the solutions were often varied and could be solved by a couple of methods. As a result almost every item got use throughout the game rather than just for one dungeon (except for maybe the sand rod I guess). I was constantly surprised how much mileage they got out of the flattening gimmick in particular; they did a lot of fun stuff with that one.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Hey, I've come in the way of some funds and I was thinking of getting another game to play on my 3DS, so I was wondering if people could give me an idea of how Azran Legacy and A Link Between Worlds stack up. My favourite game back on the DS was Unwound Future so I'm really inclined to get another Layton game, but I could also go for something with a little more replay value than my current line up (Pokemon X, Super Mario 3D Land (I am apparently the only person in the world who didn't like this), Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies) so that's where Zelda's coming in. I'm a big fan of both series, so I'm really just looking for reasons not to get one over the other.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Captain Pissweak posted:

Hey, I've come in the way of some funds and I was thinking of getting another game to play on my 3DS, so I was wondering if people could give me an idea of how Azran Legacy and A Link Between Worlds stack up. My favourite game back on the DS was Unwound Future so I'm really inclined to get another Layton game, but I could also go for something with a little more replay value than my current line up (Pokemon X, Super Mario 3D Land (I am apparently the only person in the world who didn't like this), Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies) so that's where Zelda's coming in. I'm a big fan of both series, so I'm really just looking for reasons not to get one over the other.

I can't speak to replay value per-se, but in addition to the 165 story puzzles, Azran Legacy has daily download puzzle delivery for the next ~310 days (with about 70 download puzzles already released), and they're just starting to get challenging. It's a good time to jump in.

A Link Between Worlds was fantastic, but I finished it in a few weeks (while trying to take my time through it, finding all the hidden items, etc), and I sold it afterwards. I don't regret playing it, but if you're OCD about puzzles like I am, Layton has a better time-to-dollar ratio.

Edit: Also, Azran builds more on the previous two games than Unwound did with its trilogy, so if you care at all about the story in Layton games beyond the level of "huh, neat" then you might want to play Last Specter and Miracle Mask before it. They're both great games in their own rights, even though Miracle Mask has some flaws.

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 16, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Nate RFB posted:

What I really liked about LBW's puzzles was not necessarily that they were challenging, but rather that the solutions were often varied and could be solved by a couple of methods. As a result almost every item got use throughout the game rather than just for one dungeon (except for maybe the sand rod I guess). I was constantly surprised how much mileage they got out of the flattening gimmick in particular; they did a lot of fun stuff with that one.
Yeah, honestly the painting gimmick really added a lot to it. It sometimes made it possible to cheese boss fights, but some of the puzzles they had surrounding it were great.

I think the hardest part of the game for me was the Thieves Hideout. I just got completely stuck at a really silly point in it, and spent half an hour running back and forth. Actually, that and I got stuck in the Ice Dungeon for a while.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Well I was going to use the BestBuy gift card I got by purchasing my XL to get Fire Emblem but they didn't have it in stock so I'm just downloading it from the eStore. Which means I can use the gift card for Bravely Default once I finish off the stuff I have backed up already :getin:.

Now I just wish the store would stop giving me error codes while I'm trying to download the thing!

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Amazon has Tomodachi Life for preorder. Gamestop is charging $5 over retail as usual.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

glassyalabolas posted:

Amazon has Tomodachi Life for preorder. Gamestop is charging $5 over retail as usual.

It kills me that it's literally one cent below free shipping.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

glassyalabolas posted:

I want to get this even though I have no idea what's going on.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

I want to get this even though I have no idea what's going on.

Literally everyone interested in this game.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It's gonna have a digital release too right? This is like animal crossing in that I always want it on my DS to check

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Constable Lemon posted:

It's gonna have a digital release too right? This is like animal crossing in that I always want it on my DS to check

No doubt about that. Nintendo's been good about the Digital releases.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Constable Lemon posted:

Yeah - Tomodachi Life/Collection is one game you probably do want to go digital from. It works best as a daily 10-20 minute excursion even more than Animal Crossing does.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'm not sure I understand the point of archers in Fire Emblem. So you can attack from a square away and they can't counterattack so that's cool I guess but you're still going to be stuck there after you make your move and then the guy you were attacking is just going to hit you the next turn anyways and he's probably going to do way more damage. Unless you're just only supposed to attack with them when the enemy is one hit from death?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

PantsBandit posted:

I'm not sure I understand the point of archers in Fire Emblem. So you can attack from a square away and they can't counterattack so that's cool I guess but you're still going to be stuck there after you make your move and then the guy you were attacking is just going to hit you the next turn anyways and he's probably going to do way more damage. Unless you're just only supposed to attack with them when the enemy is one hit from death?

Yeah, they're not that great outside of some fairly specific circumstances. Most of what they do can be done with a javelin or hand axe instead. They do extra damage to fliers, so that's something.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

They are just bad.

Intsys seems to think they're good though. Back in the day they'd have crappy stats to compensate for being locked to two range.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Thuryl posted:

They do extra damage to fliers, so that's something.

So does wind magic, which can attack at point blank too. Even the archest of archers wasn't worth keeping an archer.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Put your archers behind someone who can soak up the hits. Make an impenetrable line of knights and rain arrows on anything dumb to engage them.

Edit: Works for mages, too!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Good to know. I guess Mr. Effeminate Ladies Man is going to be taking a hike.

Sarchasm posted:

Put your archers behind someone who can soak up the hits. Make an impenetrable line of knights and rain arrows on anything dumb to engage them.

Wouldn't this just be a waste of knights though? Unless you moved the whole group along as a battalion.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

PantsBandit posted:

Good to know. I guess Mr. Effeminate Ladies Man is going to be taking a hike.

Wouldn't this just be a waste of knights though? Unless you moved the whole group along as a battalion.

I tend to hole up in chokepoints where I can form an offensive line. Obviously you don't want to march across an open field with knights surrounding an archer.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Mario Golf trailer and ads from Japan. The official site says 10 courses and 126 holes. That's 4 full courses and 6 half courses. It's the same amount of holes as Toadstool Tour. DLC confirmed but not explained. If they're just selling the back nine I'd rather pay $40 up front for a narrower, complete game than have a wide sampling of Mario themed half courses that are useless for tournaments and match play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yfwSZnkfpE
Ad #1
Ad #2

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW
Archers suck, dark knights 4 lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I kept Noire a Sniper for 3 range attacking, which is fun. She also has Lethality.

• Locked thread