Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

The Cleaner posted:

Interesting how you assume more hardware will fix the problem.

That's been his approach since the beginning.

He doesn't want to put in the sweat and hours to get good, so he hopes flipping and buying more stuff will do the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
A Mustang turns you into Steve McQueen, it will work.
So, when's a Rytm headed your way, waffles?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

So....the Beatstep is going back to the shop; Within an hour of mucking about with it I could tell I wouldn't get much use from it.

It's well made, feels very solid and is surprisingly heavy. But it's buggy. For example you can switch between MIDI CC control and Sequencer mode with a button press which should be fantastic; unfortunately if you use an encoder to set the cut-off frequency on a VST, switch to SEQ mode and alter the pitch using the same encoder, then switch back to MIDI CC mode the cut-off will jump to the SEQ encoder's value if you so much as touch the encoder. Also, the encoders are way too slow and the software adjustments have no effect. No doubt this is all fixable but it's annoying.

The main thing though - I've been spoiled by Automap. With the Beatstep the amount of faffing about creating, storing and switching presets as you move between VSTs is something I've no patience for any more :corsair:. A combined sequencer/MIDI controller is appealing but in use the Beatstep is like going back a decade in user friendliness.

So, not for me. I suspect it will be more suited controlling a purely hardware setup where there's no hassles integrating with a DAW and whatnot.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Analog Heaven Midwest video from the recent annual meet. Awkward robot farts abound.
The northeast meeting is approaching (note the reschedule!). Marlboro area goons, or Bostonians who can take the rail to ~Acton, that need to hitch a ride, toss me a PM.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

He doesn't want to put in the sweat and hours

Don't forget tears as you constantly tell yourself that you don't like what you make. Or is that just me?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there anything else on the market like Reaktor? I've been using it to scratch my NES/8bit itch and it's a lot of fun.

If Nord came out with a Modular G3 tomorrow I would buy it, just so I can do all the design on a computer and not have to drag it with me to perform. Also dedicated control surfaces would be nice (yeah, yeah, BCR2000).

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

sliderule posted:

Is there anything else on the market like Reaktor? I've been using it to scratch my NES/8bit itch and it's a lot of fun.

SynthEdit is the only thing I know of that's similar. I haven't used either enough to know the merits and demerits, but you could check it out. (I think there's a really lenient demo available.)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

utamaru posted:

Beats! Picked it up yesteday and I've been very happy. Some of the sounds are kind of poop, but hey! Can't wait to take a soldering iron to this thing.

The kick really is amazing. I also like the hats, PCM sounds, and the individual delay effect

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

net work error posted:

Don't forget tears as you constantly tell yourself that you don't like what you make. Or is that just me?

No no, this is by design. First you'll make stuff that you hate while you're making it, but you're building off of something which is good. Next you'll make something you love and build off of it, only to come back to it a few days/weeks later and hate it. Then you'll make something you love, then still love it when you come back to it.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

The Cleaner posted:

Interesting how you assume more hardware will fix the problem.

Actually it's less that and more that I've been having problems with certain frequencies just not turning up on the KRKs that show up when I get a mix into my car. I've never actually looked into buying a sub because I know drat well that I don't need one, just that it would at some level make monitoring bass frequencies easier. To an extend I also miss the University of Texas EMS monitoring setup. :v:

HotCanadianChick posted:

That's been his approach since the beginning.

He doesn't want to put in the sweat and hours to get good, so he hopes flipping and buying more stuff will do the trick.

So where did this come from? Because this is probably the single most assholeish post I've ever read in this thread and you've been kind of on a passive aggressive fuckstick posting streak for a little bit. I think it's blisteringly obvious that you and I have different approaches to music, but you don't see me being a dick to people in this thread.

I've talked about it with Renderful a bunch, actually: I have very limited time to actually make music. I recognize that I am not nearly in the same league as most of the posters in this thread when it comes to composition. But I really love synthesis, and what time I get poking knobs and trying to arrange something is seriously the most relaxing time I get to myself which doesn't require me to go hiking for hours. I don't have any visions of myself as the next synth-music god who is going to be touring the world or even actively making something other people want to listen to. What I do hope to get out of this is that I'll thoroughly enjoy myself.

loving around with synths is the only hobby I have that costs money. In general I'm a startlingly cheap person who lives minimally enough that most of my possessions can fit in a single carload with room left to spare. There are synths that I want to play around with, and if I can get them at a price I can afford within the same pool of money I set aside at the beginning I'd allow myself to gently caress around with synths with, then I'll grab them when they're cheap. If I don't like it and I can sell it for more then I paid for it (which so far has net me ~1500 over where I started), then I'll do that.

The Tempest is a good example; I know some people can make incredible stuff with the Tempest (or literally any synth) but the people who are doing it have more patience for that particular piece of gear than I do, especially in light of how much money it cost. The decision to replace it with the A4 was one that made sense to me from a monetary perspective and from the perspective of "this can fill the same groovebox-y role but sounds better (to me) and is a lot cheaper)."

So I'm not you. gently caress, I'm not talented when it comes to composition at all. My only formal musical background is actually in synthesis, I really enjoy it, and at the end of the day the world of synths is a minefield of people like me and passive-aggressive pissing into the wind isn't going to change the fact that I'm hardly an outlier and that a good solid half of muffwiggler is in the same boat I'm in just with a much larger financial investment. Some people just like synths not as objects of pure fetishization with the intentions of making some magnum opus they can share with the world but because they're goddamn fun. Meanwhile, I'll take the little bits of time I'm able to fire up the synths and keep loving around bit by bit maybe not until I'm good, but until I'm having fun.

Now can we move the gently caress on? I'm fine eating however many Wavestation jokes get thrown my way and fully acknowledge that I deserve the hell out of the gear flipping jokes and I'm not going to bitch about that, but it's getting a bit lovely lately.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

sliderule posted:

If Nord came out with a Modular G3 tomorrow I would buy it, just so I can do all the design on a computer and not have to drag it with me to perform. Also dedicated control surfaces would be nice (yeah, yeah, BCR2000).

Max 4 Live (Live-specific version of Max): https://www.ableton.com/en/live/max-for-live/

Max (more than just music): http://cycling74.com/products/max/

Bidule: http://www.plogue.com/products/bidule/

UNRELATED EDIT:

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Now can we move the gently caress on? I'm fine eating however many Wavestation jokes get thrown my way...

I'm sorry I didn't say something about the Wafflepile earlier. Be nice, guys. We all have a shared love for this stuff.

I also support a moratorium on Wavestation jokes.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 17, 2014

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

While I think the comment was out of line, I can see the frustration with the seemingly endless array of posts about trading/buying/selling to achieve this/that/the other thing. Wafflehound, the answer to your problems will almost literally never be buying more gear. It will always be spending more time with what you have and learning how best to apply it. Literally not buying new poo poo will get you so much more at this point in terms of production values/etc. If you want to just buy/sell constantly and thats fun for you then ok great, but accept that the results you get from constantly rotating gear will never be satisfying because you haven't spent years getting used to your instruments. It's not a content, there is no perfect formula, there isn't a set, static formulaic value to each thing that can be increased and tweaked with just acquiring more.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
C'mon Waffs, don't let it get to you.

All you need is a little basic knowledge about mixing/composing and some practice.
Just try to improve on your sound design before buying or flipping anything for a while.
Because it gets easier if you are fully acquainted with your synths and speakers.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 17, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
A wise man once told me: "give no fucks what others think, buy what you want, don't post self loathing crap, don't rag on others, try new things, be your own person, get away from the internet, make some drat music, and always show love". That wise man was Lyndon Baines Johnson, our 36th president.

In related news: I'm possibly going to be building a Shruthi XT with a 4PM filter. After having an Ambika and playing with every filter type Mutable Instruments makes except for the 4 pole I think I'm ready to move on to just a single Shruthi. I had a Yellow Magic for a while and it sound was good enough but I really hated programming on the 2x20 LCD display. The XT enclosure and control boards should fix this problem. Since an SMR-4 Shruthi comes with the XT kit I might end up having an extra Shruthi to screw around with (or if anyone is looking to buy one just give me a shout, I'm going to put it in one of those fancy metal enclosures).

Also of note: I'm wondering if anyone here has used the Line6 POD HD effects units before. I've got a POD X3 and I'm getting more into using the amp modeling algorithms to enhance my synth sounds. The trick is to set the Room to 0 or otherwise tweak the amp settings so you're getting a "dry" signal with no added presence effects. I'm wondering if the sound quality on the HD models is miles ahead of the other POD units or if the HDs are just a cosmetic upgrade more or less.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

toadee posted:

Wafflehound, the answer to your problems will almost literally never be buying more gear. It will always be spending more time with what you have and learning how best to apply it.

I genuninely don't think it ever is the answer to my problem. I also don't tend to post as much "oh god what am I doing" with the synths that I have learned really well which I've kept for a long time.

Again, I'm not really trying to make the argument that the criticisms are wrong, just that there's no need to be an rear end in a top hat about it (not you, obviously). I also think you're probably overestimating how much of my posts are about buying things vs. general gear lusting, which is something we're all pretty guilty of here. Other than the 101 I have been selling my synths en masse in preparation for my upcoming move (not because I just inherently want to flip them), so there's literally no way I can be posting about buying a whole bunch of stuff when most of the money from selling synths is still cash.

Sjoewe posted:

C'mon Waffs, don't let it get to you.

All you need is a little basic knowledge about mixing/composing and some practice.
Just try to improve on your sound design before buying or flipping anything for a while.
Because it gets easier if you are fully acquainted with your synths and speakers.

The only synth I own right now that I don't have a really good sense of is the A4, which I'm definitely loving around and learning with. The 303 is kind of self evident and I can make the Phatty do whatever I want it to since I put a ton of time into learning it. Right now what I've been trying to work on a lot (and thanks to a bunch of people in this thread for specific advice) has been mixing and compression. Composing is still my weak point, but I'm trying to learn more music theory at the same time, but composing is something that's definitely going to take me more time than EQing and compression. Doesn't mean I'm not working on it.

Actually, on a related note, does anyone have any suggestions for practicing composition stuff on the go? It's easy enough reading about theory, but it's hard to practice that stuff unless I'm actively sitting at my desktop (it's actually one of the reasons I'm loving the A4 right now, I can try my hand at composing stuff away from a computer). I don't know if any of you with a more formal background know of any good tricks though.

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

A wise man once told me: "give no fucks what others think, buy what you want, don't post self loathing crap, don't rag on others, try new things, be your own person, get away from the internet, make some drat music, and always show love". That wise man was Lyndon Baines Johnson, our 36th president.

For a really bad poster you're a really good poster. :love:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

In related news: I'm possibly going to be building a Shruthi XT with a 4PM filter. After having an Ambika and playing with every filter type Mutable Instruments makes except for the 4 pole I think I'm ready to move on to just a single Shruthi. I had a Yellow Magic for a while and it sound was good enough but I really hated programming on the 2x20 LCD display. The XT enclosure and control boards should fix this problem. Since an SMR-4 Shruthi comes with the XT kit I might end up having an extra Shruthi to screw around with (or if anyone is looking to buy one just give me a shout, I'm going to put it in one of those fancy metal enclosures).

I'm actually really interested in know how this goes since a Shruthi XT is still on my list of future purchases I'm actually planning on making instead of just what I'm lusting after, especially once I read up on the SDE mods for it and would probably do at least the core 3 and filter shape SDE mods down the line. I'd also love to know if you think there would be enough space to possible add a second filter board mounted internally once you get the build underway since the only two filter boards I'm interested in are the SMR-4 and Digital ones, and having 1 XT unit to control both (A/B switched obviously) would pretty much be perfect, even if I had to forgo the SDE mods.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Actually, on a related note, does anyone have any suggestions for practicing composition stuff on the go? It's easy enough reading about theory, but it's hard to practice that stuff unless I'm actively sitting at my desktop (it's actually one of the reasons I'm loving the A4 right now, I can try my hand at composing stuff away from a computer). I don't know if any of you with a more formal background know of any good tricks though.

Either get an OP-1, 2-3 of the Volca's or an ipad/iphone with some instruments on it (anything with a sequencer, some sounds, and the ability to record) and take them with you and just write when you're inspired. When you do that, don't worry about things sounding 100% the way you want them to, just record ideas/noodles/sketches and then make a habit of transferring them to your main system once you're able to and maybe once a week go back to them and see which ones you can further develop and which ones were poo poo (this is what will actually help you a ton with composition). Really, composition is way more about what sounds good to you than always following laws of music theory (they're more like guidelines really) so having an instrument you can record with always on you is your best bet.

The only other way I can think of is trying to write things using a pen and paper, but back when I could actually read music to the point of sight reading fairly complex parts in school I tried to write music that way and literally 100% of what I tried to compose in that manner was total bullshit and a complete waste of time as opposed to 90% being bullshit actually sitting down at my performance synth and computer so I really don't recommend that. Now that I've gotten back into the swing of things and really focused on the parts of theory that applies to what I want to do I would say it's only 70% of what I write currently being total bullshit so hey... baby steps man.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

Either get an OP-1, 2-3 of the Volca's or an ipad/iphone with some instruments on it (anything with a sequencer, some sounds, and the ability to record) and take them with you and just write when you're inspired.

Since I'm not going to buy an OP-1, any suggestions on apps for the iPad? I usually have that with me and can noodle on that a bit.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Has anyone actually heard the Rhythm Wolf yet? It's been over a month.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Since I'm not going to buy an OP-1, any suggestions on apps for the iPad? I usually have that with me and can noodle on that a bit.

I would love to know this too since I don't really have anything portable.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

treasureplane posted:

No :( I'm sure it'll actually exist maybe eventually but for now it's looking mighty vapor-y.

Re: iPad chat, not to be that guy but wouldn't the iPad thread have the best answers?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

net work error posted:

No :( I'm sure it'll actually exist maybe eventually but for now it's looking mighty vapor-y.

Re: iPad chat, not to be that guy but wouldn't the iPad thread have the best answers?

I'm 100% sure that the ipad thread could give me a list of synth apps, but I'd rather ask people who know their poo poo which ones are good. I mean, a cursory search shows me a ton of different synths from big names, but I don't know which are actually faithful versions or worth messing with.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I actually don't have an ipad (yet) and so I'm limited to just my iphone, but for me it's Nanostudio if I want to actually write things or Figure/Alchemy if I just want to gently caress around, Alchemy for sound fuckery and Figure for noodling fuckery.*

For ipad apps though, I'd start here since those reviews are usually pretty solid, but aside from that I've heard great things about the new Gadget from Korg.

*Those are for composition, no loving idea where to start when it comes to just instruments.

treasureplane posted:

I'm actually holding off on getting a volca beats until the audio demo comes out since it's one of the other for me... and while you can fix the volca's snare into something usable I'd rather not have to resort to soldering things just yet.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 17, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

treasureplane posted:

I'm legit disappointed this might turn out to not happen.

net work error posted:

There's an iOS music app thread by our own FLX
The PPG, Korg and Moog apps, and Sunrizer are the ones I play with the most.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Startyde posted:

There's an iOS music app thread by our own FLX
The PPG, Korg and Moog apps, and Sunrizer are the ones I play with the most.

Yeah that's the one I meant. Should've posted it instead of assuming people knew I meant within this forum :doh:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Apparently Caustic was also on iOS all along, so check that out I guess. It's optimized for low processing power as gently caress, so not everything in it sounds great, but it has a shitload of toys to try out and even a modular synth. Has mixer, effects, decent step sequencer for everything.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

A Winner is Jew posted:

I'm actually really interested in know how this goes since a Shruthi XT is still on my list of future purchases I'm actually planning on making instead of just what I'm lusting after, especially once I read up on the SDE mods for it and would probably do at least the core 3 and filter shape SDE mods down the line. I'd also love to know if you think there would be enough space to possible add a second filter board mounted internally once you get the build underway since the only two filter boards I'm interested in are the SMR-4 and Digital ones, and having 1 XT unit to control both (A/B switched obviously) would pretty much be perfect, even if I had to forgo the SDE mods.

If I remember correctly, the SDE mods add some neat features but I don't think they were the most musical sounding things in the world. The SDE stuff was talked about maybe a year or two ago on the MI forums but I haven't heard or seen much about it for a while now. There might have been some firmware changes in the Shruthi that addressed or added some of these features in the software but I am not 100% about this.

Once I have the XT case in front of me I can give a better assessment but judging how the case looks compared to the Shruthis I've played with, there won't be a lot of extra room for another filter board. You could probably commission a custom case to house everything (you could buy the XT kit and just get new, taller side panels cut by fcd72 on the MI forums). I know it's definitely possible to wire more than 1 filter board to a single Shruthi control board cause someone built this monster with 4 filter boards:

The Digital filter is another example of a fun thing to play with that doesn't quite have musical qualities either (though maybe you're going for this kind of wacky sound given you want to do the SDE mods too). SMR-4 is a great sounding bread and butter board, the most accessible of all the filters, but in my opinion it's nothing special either. I'm sure creating the Shruthi you're talking about is completely possible, it's just a matter of how much engineering you're able to accomplish on your own (or from the helpful folks at the MI forum). There might be complications using multiple filters with the standard XT kit (due to the expansion port on the Shruthi being used up by the control surfaces) but again I am very intermediate with a lot of this electronics stuff.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

There's this: http://bit.ly/1nsInDz

But you should consider an OP-1 cause they're awesome.

treasureplane posted:

There was one video I remember seeing from Musicmesse where one of the Akai reps was demoing the sounds but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 17, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Waldorf Nave is insane. If that thing were a hardware instrument, I'd be all over it. Like Animoog I guess part of the appeal is the cool display, which wouldn't translate so well to standalone hardware- but really you can make some cool and interesting sounds with it. Text-to-synth, for example.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I actually got Animoog when it was on sale for like five bucks, it's a fantastic synth and I keep getting tempted to see if I could control it through Live and bounce the audio. I'm actually more looking into composition apps than synths though. I'll take a look into the suggestions as well as the other thread, thanks.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Speaking of Akai, what's the "best" value MPC? The new ones are all DAW based which isn't going to work for me. I see the 1000 mentioned a lot but I see 2000XL's and 2500's routinely go for the same price.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

It doesn't get nearly enough love so I'll mention Nanoloop. I use it on my phone quite a bit for sketching out ideas; also if you feel like buying even more hardware, you can get it on gameboy cart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9kRjljOJXs

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
The old ones are very appealing and have that ledgendary AKAI 12-bit sound going , but I'd get a new one, because just being able to slot in a memorycard makes all the difference when you're really into sampling. Or you could upgrade and older model with a CF-card reader, like I did with my S5K, but that requires some handywork.

Talking about sampling and samplepacks. I'm looking for a pack with lush string & organ chords and something with some cool, non-orchestral stabs.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Actually it's less that and more that I've been having problems with certain frequencies just not turning up on the KRKs that show up when I get a mix into my car. I've never actually looked into buying a sub because I know drat well that I don't need one, just that it would at some level make monitoring bass frequencies easier. To an extend I also miss the University of Texas EMS monitoring setup. :v:

So where did this come from? Because this is probably the single most assholeish post I've ever read in this thread and you've been kind of on a passive aggressive fuckstick posting streak for a little bit. I think it's blisteringly obvious that you and I have different approaches to music, but you don't see me being a dick to people in this thread.

I've talked about it with Renderful a bunch, actually: I have very limited time to actually make music. I recognize that I am not nearly in the same league as most of the posters in this thread when it comes to composition. But I really love synthesis, and what time I get poking knobs and trying to arrange something is seriously the most relaxing time I get to myself which doesn't require me to go hiking for hours. I don't have any visions of myself as the next synth-music god who is going to be touring the world or even actively making something other people want to listen to. What I do hope to get out of this is that I'll thoroughly enjoy myself.

loving around with synths is the only hobby I have that costs money. In general I'm a startlingly cheap person who lives minimally enough that most of my possessions can fit in a single carload with room left to spare. There are synths that I want to play around with, and if I can get them at a price I can afford within the same pool of money I set aside at the beginning I'd allow myself to gently caress around with synths with, then I'll grab them when they're cheap. If I don't like it and I can sell it for more then I paid for it (which so far has net me ~1500 over where I started), then I'll do that.

The Tempest is a good example; I know some people can make incredible stuff with the Tempest (or literally any synth) but the people who are doing it have more patience for that particular piece of gear than I do, especially in light of how much money it cost. The decision to replace it with the A4 was one that made sense to me from a monetary perspective and from the perspective of "this can fill the same groovebox-y role but sounds better (to me) and is a lot cheaper)."

So I'm not you. gently caress, I'm not talented when it comes to composition at all. My only formal musical background is actually in synthesis, I really enjoy it, and at the end of the day the world of synths is a minefield of people like me and passive-aggressive pissing into the wind isn't going to change the fact that I'm hardly an outlier and that a good solid half of muffwiggler is in the same boat I'm in just with a much larger financial investment. Some people just like synths not as objects of pure fetishization with the intentions of making some magnum opus they can share with the world but because they're goddamn fun. Meanwhile, I'll take the little bits of time I'm able to fire up the synths and keep loving around bit by bit maybe not until I'm good, but until I'm having fun.

Now can we move the gently caress on? I'm fine eating however many Wavestation jokes get thrown my way and fully acknowledge that I deserve the hell out of the gear flipping jokes and I'm not going to bitch about that, but it's getting a bit lovely lately.

Sorry for coming across assholeish, I still <3 you dawg.

Though I wasn't being entirely serious, that post was actually intended more as a poke at your post worrying about spending so much time obsessing over kicks: it's ok to spend a lot of time focusing on getting something right; this is one of the more time consuming hobbies there is, and doing things well just plain takes a lot of sweating over knobs. The good news is, if you keep on grinding away and trying to get things perfect, eventually you'll have stuff so ingrained that you can dial up a perfect kick (or bass, or lead or whatever) that will sit beautifully in the mix - but getting to that point is a long road full of half finished mixes and abandoned stems.

Just remember, in the end, it's you, not whatever hardware you have, that determines what you make; you are ultimately the biggest limit on what you make, and the sooner that really sets in, the sooner you're free to really start pushing the limits and developing your own unique style.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 17, 2014

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

Speaking of Akai, what's the "best" value MPC? The new ones are all DAW based which isn't going to work for me. I see the 1000 mentioned a lot but I see 2000XL's and 2500's routinely go for the same price.

I would recommend a MPC 1000 or 2500 with JJOS installed. The MPC 4000 is also feature packed and comes highly recommended.

A couple of things to be aware of with the 1000. First, there is a generation of 1000s made with pad sensors that will fail. Akai fixed this in newer generations with an entirely different pad assembly. The best way to tell for sure if a 1000 has the new pad sensors is by pulling the outermost corner of a corner pad out of the frame. You can't do that with the old bad pads.

Second, the stock tact switches on the 1000 and 2500 are garbage and will eventually fail. Fortunately, higer quality replacement switches are easy to find and aren't too difficult to install even for a beginner at soldering.

With that said, JJOS really opens up the 1000 and 2500 and tact switch problems aside, I've had a lot of fun making music on the MPC 1000.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

HotCanadianChick posted:

HotCanadianChick's av

Whoa, somebody got pissed.

Anyway, about the Microwave I just bought, from what I've been reading around on the Waldorf mailing list, losing a voice is an uncommon problem and could potentially be from a failing CEM3389 or Texas Instruments op-amp. In either case, they're a bit of a bitch to replace so I'm asking the guy I bought it from if I can just return it to him and get a refund.

I guess some things are just not meant to be. :smith:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

VoodooXT posted:

Whoa, somebody got pissed.

The irony about it is someone seems to think I'm berating people for not being rich (I haven't bought any new music gear in years, excepting the $50 copy of Geist I just ordered the other day, because I just can't afford to splurge on gear anymore) and have been participating in a huge derail in an AI thread where I (and others) have been mockingly belittled for not being able to afford a 'real' car (all in fun, of course).

I love it when the internet gets so mad they waste money on dumb poo poo like avs that don't even really make sense, instead of just closing the browser and doing something productive.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Sound design question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvkwTsTrWeM around 29:30 or so. Its the industrial swooshy noise... is it as simple as a reversed hi hat trail with lots of reverb on it? Can't seem to figure it out.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Don't look at it as a waste, look at it as someone keeping the forums alive via spite. :)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
For the record, it wasn't me. It's pretty funny though.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

net work error posted:

Don't look at it as a waste, look at it as someone keeping the forums alive via spite. :)

goons make the world go round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I actually got Animoog when it was on sale for like five bucks, it's a fantastic synth and I keep getting tempted to see if I could control it through Live and bounce the audio. I'm actually more looking into composition apps than synths though. I'll take a look into the suggestions as well as the other thread, thanks.

BeatMaker 2 when it's on sale for $5. Pretty awesome overall. It's similar to the Maschine software, I would say. Has MIDI and AudioBus/audio capture support(I think they've added it natively now?). Plenty of built in sound packs, and they update the software still.