Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

goons make the world go round

Gonna make a Lil B rap about having "that goon money" brb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

:tipshat:

Thanks, and any mods I would do would of course be after I got a stock version up and running... just planning for the future is all. Never though of just increasing the size of the side panels but it makes sense with the case not being 1 unit with a cover/back panel. And hey, if you ever do end up wanting/needing to sell it I'm sure I could hide one more synth from the wife.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Any comments to an ESX as a good sampler? I have an EMX and I like the UI, and I'm looking to make something more ambient / glitchy with it. I know it's no Octatrack but I'm looking for something reasonably priced :)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Any comments to an ESX as a good sampler? I have an EMX and I like the UI, and I'm looking to make something more ambient / glitchy with it. I know it's no Octatrack but I'm looking for something reasonably priced :)

They seem to be super well liked as far as grooveboxes go. I know they're kind of a go-to in the psytrance world, for that that's worth, though the SD versions are definitely not cheap.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Hey Wafflehound, maybe this is good for your kick problem?

Plugin Boutique's BigKick

The demo sounds pretty decent..?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

For the record, it wasn't me. It's pretty funny though.

I know it wasn't you, you're not the passive-aggressive type. :)

Still hilarious though.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

A Winner is Jew posted:

:tipshat:

Thanks, and any mods I would do would of course be after I got a stock version up and running... just planning for the future is all. Never though of just increasing the size of the side panels but it makes sense with the case not being 1 unit with a cover/back panel. And hey, if you ever do end up wanting/needing to sell it I'm sure I could hide one more synth from the wife.

Sure thing. I'm probably going to order the XT kit in the next few days. I'm debating whether or not to buy the 4PM PCBs, extra enclosure, and preprogrammed chips now or when I have enough time to assemble a parts list for the 4PM build, but if you wanted to buy the Shruthi in the next month or so I could get it together sooner. Let's talk.

WorldWarWonderful posted:

What do you think about the EMX soundwise? I've been looking into getting one just for fun if I can find one for around $200 but people either incredibly despise the sounds or find them relatively charming. The videos I've listened to make it seem not so terrible but I can't say for sure since I haven't played with one yet. I tend to like derivative cheapish sounds synth stuff (this is coming from a guy who bought a Roland D2 for the cheesy 505 sounds).

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

net work error posted:

Don't look at it as a waste, look at it as someone keeping the forums alive via spite. :)

Oh, it's waste, alright.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

sofullofhate posted:

I'm trying to solve it with what I've got, but that actually looks decent. For some reason I feel like their demo video is slightly underwhelming, like the kicks are standing out in a weird way. Either way, it looks like a house version of Bazzism, and I love me some Bazzism.

Also, I think I am starting to figure out why people use sample pack, since I threw this together in a couple of hours:

https://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/acid-electro-house

The pattern is off my a 16th :(

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Radiapathy posted:

Waldorf Nave is insane. If that thing were a hardware instrument, I'd be all over it.

It was a hardware instrument; it was called the Waldorf Wave. :v:

:smith:

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

The Cleaner posted:

Interesting how you assume more hardware will fix the problem.

The above line was meant to be a setup, to what I assumed would be a half-hearted joke. "Need another 303 haw haw!" or something cheesy. 2 angry pages too late, but just know I was just kidding/teasing when I posted that dude.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sure thing. I'm probably going to order the XT kit in the next few days. I'm debating whether or not to buy the 4PM PCBs, extra enclosure, and preprogrammed chips now or when I have enough time to assemble a parts list for the 4PM build, but if you wanted to buy the Shruthi in the next month or so I could get it together sooner. Let's talk.

Well, I was more referring to if you needed to sell it because of bills or you don't like it or something to try and sell it here first. I'm totally capable of building it and actually want to since it's good practice for not only the volca beats snare mod I might end up having to do, but also because I'm going to take my 99 MIM strat from my main guitar and turn it into a sound design guitar... and then get a Gibson with P90's for my new main. Really the only hurdles for me to start doing this is that I'd have to get new solder equipment (all my solder stuff was trashed 10y ago when a pipe burst in the garage at my moms house where it was stored) and I'm saving up for both an A4 and a trip to Europe with the wife which are both much larger priorities for me right now.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

What do you think about the EMX soundwise? I've been looking into getting one just for fun if I can find one for around $200 but people either incredibly despise the sounds or find them relatively charming. The videos I've listened to make it seem not so terrible but I can't say for sure since I haven't played with one yet. I tend to like derivative cheapish sounds synth stuff (this is coming from a guy who bought a Roland D2 for the cheesy 505 sounds).

It sounds kind of awful and it takes a fair bit of effort to get the sound you want out of it, and due to that everything you put together has the same "sound", but I love picking it up and cobbling together a few patterns. I mainly got it to get used to step sequencing and as a drum machine for my eventual A4 purchase, but I think I'll also get a sampler so I can sample A4 percussion and sell the EMX. I picked it up for 300 CDN and I can't say I'd pay much more than that.

I don't make house so it's difficult to discuss its merits, but I really like just using it. It also kind of helps that if you have external synths, it can output five midi channels, so you could, in theory, pick up a few of those Struthi boxes and go to town. I picked up the FMDrive VST a while back and as strange as it might sound, I use my EMX to control it. I always used to go for my OP1 when sitting on the couch or in front of the computer but now it's always my EMX.

Is there a point to getting the ESX SD over the older edition? The exernal media doesn't add storage; it only gives extra storage for backing up the device's memory (which has remained unchanged over the two versions). I see one for 250 and it looks like it'd be a good thing to pretend to be Amon Tobin with.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Well I emailed Akai and the sales / support lady says the Rhythm Wolf will be out in June

edit: this is possibly what it sounds like: https://soundcloud.com/tindra/akai-rhythm-wolf

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 18, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

Well I emailed Akai and the sales / support lady says the Rhythm Wolf will be out in June

edit: this is possibly what it sounds like: https://soundcloud.com/tindra/akai-rhythm-wolf

I refuse to believe that's the only demo in the world currently. :mad:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
So, an update regarding my Waldorf Microwave: the guy I bought it from doesn't accept returns and depending on how he responds, I may have to take this to arbitration with eBay.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

VoodooXT posted:

So, an update regarding my Waldorf Microwave: the guy I bought it from doesn't accept returns and depending on how he responds, I may have to take this to arbitration with eBay.
Buying vintage stuff online is too drat risky. Out of 7 synths I bought in 2012, only TWO of them worked as described. Thing is, this poo poo's so old, the seller can just say, "well it was working fine when I shipped it," and who am I to say that it didn't finally crap out in transit.

I feel for ya though, man.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

VoodooXT posted:

Besides the XT, that's one of the best synths. Raw, totally unique sound and plenty of modulation options. It's worth it to get it fixed. Also, it might be a weird software thing, like updating the o.s. may magically fix it. Don't be pissed, you got a piece of magic, just one that's going to cost more than you initially expected. It's still worth it though, and this gives you a chance to do some preventive stuff like get caps and batteries checked and replaced.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Radiapathy posted:

Buying vintage stuff online is too drat risky. Out of 7 synths I bought in 2012, only TWO of them worked as described. Thing is, this poo poo's so old, the seller can just say, "well it was working fine when I shipped it," and who am I to say that it didn't finally crap out in transit.

I feel for ya though, man.

Yeah. The guy who sold it to me said it was in excellent condition though when I prodded him about when he last used it, he gave me a vague answer along the lines of "it was in storage for a really long time". I've had fairly good luck with buying synths off eBay; it's how I got my Access Virus KC, Waldorf Blofeld Black, and Roland JD-990 and they all work fantastically.

Sizone posted:

Besides the XT, that's one of the best synths. Raw, totally unique sound and plenty of modulation options. It's worth it to get it fixed. Also, it might be a weird software thing, like updating the o.s. may magically fix it. Don't be pissed, you got a piece of magic, just one that's going to cost more than you initially expected. It's still worth it though, and this gives you a chance to do some preventive stuff like get caps and batteries checked and replaced.

I love the sound of the Microwave. The OS is already updated to the last update (2.0) and the guy said to try reseating the chips. :shrug:

I actually asked one of my coworkers today about anyone around where we live who can repair/service Waldorf Microwaves and he gave me the name of a place. I'll give them a call next week and see if they still service them though it's going to be a drive just to have them take a look at it since they don't do quotes over the phone. I'm really glad to know this guy since he's a semi-famous and influential music/synthesizer guy who used to work with Daft Punk.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I'd give it a shot anyway. They are socketed, just lightly press down on the center in a circle motion if you don't have an IC puller. Filters might need to be recalibrated.
Vintage synths are like classic cars, cream puffs are rare, everyone thinks their poo poo is gold and if you don't wrench on them yourself it can get expensive. Though, our expensive is pretty drat cheap in comparison.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

sofullofhate posted:

The best kick is a Buzz plugin.

Deadmau5 built his career on this kick, and the dimension of variation that can be had from it is crazy.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

snorch posted:

The best kick is a Buzz plugin.

Deadmau5 built his career on this kick, and the dimension of variation that can be had from it is crazy.

I've used Kick XM plenty when I was on buzz and it really is a nice machine, but the most comprehensive system I've seen so far is the Nicky Romero thing. You aren't limited to (somewhat malleable) adsr envelopes but you can actually have free form envelopes, and they made the x axis logarithmic so you have awesome precise control over the crucial initial milliseconds while keeping an overview of the big picture.

The problem I see with parametrized envelope generators is that you really have to combine shapes to get some very basic sounds out of a pitch envelope. One of my favourite bassdrum types is the hard trance kick that starts with an initial sharp decay in the pitch curve, then has a softly sloping plateau and a second, longer decay phase that leads into another plateau and finally into the release toward the base frequency. To parametrize that properly, you need more than ADSR.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A MIRACLE posted:

Fuuuuuck, this sounds so tight. I am totally buying one of these sooner or later (hopefully sooner).

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I love Acid Tracks so goddamn much why can't the 303 fairy come wahh :cry:

edit: Acid House in general kicks so much rear end

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

poo poo, I'm actually considering picking one up now.

Made this last week: http://weeklybeats.com/#/toneless/music/untitled-retro-thing

Avoided the issue of sounds gelling I mentioned a few pages back by keeping everything simple. I feel like I need some reference point to build from for writing melodies though.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Last jam session, I had to fill in for the bassist with the DX7IIFD. My experience with the unit did not lead me to think that it was very capable of bass sounds. It always seemed a bit thin in the bottom end to me.

I was surprised to hear it plugged in to the bass amp. It really shows how much my home setup needs a subwoofer. I had a bank of bass instruments pre-loaded thanks to my attempting to prep the unit with an array of sounds, and all of the patches sounded a lot better than my initial impression.

FM synthesis: A+++ would bassjam again.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Spent part of yesterday building a nice round-robin drum kit based on Hammond Auto-Vari 64 samples that I found in the KB6 drum samples library.

Weirdly enough just this morning I got an email from the KB6 guy saying they just updated the archive with the following samples:

quote:

There are 15 New Machines:
> Dave Smith Instruments Tempest > Elka X-1000 > Eminent Solina Rhitmix > Kawai K4 > Keytek MPD 40 > Korg 01-W > Roland MC-909 > Roland E-10 > Roland U-110 > Roland U-220 > Wersi Prisma DX5 > Yamaha DD-6 > Yamaha DD-65 > Yamaha SHS-200 > Yamaha SY-85...
and 3 Updates:
> Alesis D4 > EMU ProCussion > Roland TR-505...

I could easily spend my entire musical "career" doing nothing but building vintage drum kits. I love this poo poo so much.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

sliderule posted:

FM synthesis: A+++ would bassjam again.

Bass monsters, especially with an algo that just has a raw sine pooped out.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Radiapathy posted:

Spent part of yesterday building a nice round-robin drum kit based on Hammond Auto-Vari 64 samples that I found in the KB6 drum samples library.

Weirdly enough just this morning I got an email from the KB6 guy saying they just updated the archive with the following samples:

I could easily spend my entire musical "career" doing nothing but building vintage drum kits. I love this poo poo so much.

I got that email too but can't freaking remember my login information. I'm pretty sure my thought when I bought the initial access was "I'm never going to use this again I'll just make something completely absurd up". This also happens to come at a time when I've got samples ready to be chopped for my Tempest, MC-909, and RS-7000. I'll have to see how his samples compare to mine (if I can ever get back on their server).

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I got that email too but can't freaking remember my login information. I'm pretty sure my thought when I bought the initial access was "I'm never going to use this again I'll just make something completely absurd up". This also happens to come at a time when I've got samples ready to be chopped for my Tempest, MC-909, and RS-7000. I'll have to see how his samples compare to mine (if I can ever get back on their server).
FWIW, it's a generic user/pass that you should find in the first email he sent you when you bought the samples.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Ahh yes, so it is. Thanks for the reminder (the email was hiding in my starred items with a generic title)

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Today I bought a Vortex keytar and a scatter-knob machine. I feel dirty.

The salesman was super happy to show me the scatter knob first.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Hey so there was that big kerfuffle a couple pages ago and I just wanted to post that it knocked me out of a little block I'd been dealing with these past couple months. I was sort of stuck on "if I didn't [play it myself/make the patch myself/synthesize it/make it from MIDI notes] it isn't really "my" music", and I was letting that get in the way of just making all the garbage I have in me and creating whatever I can using whatever tools I have.

It made me realize that in the end, if I produce some music that fits together and inspires me to continue working on it, it's a success, no matter how I came there; and if I didn't succeed in making something like that, then at least I learned one way of not making good music. And it doesn't matter if the specific things I'm doing are making progress in exactly what I want, because there's a set of more meta-skills that I'm improving that will help me everywhere.

So thanks for the argument :)

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Dessert Rose posted:

It made me realize that in the end, if I produce some music that fits together and inspires me to continue working on it, it's a success, no matter how I came there; and if I didn't succeed in making something like that, then at least I learned one way of not making good music. And it doesn't matter if the specific things I'm doing are making progress in exactly what I want, because there's a set of more meta-skills that I'm improving that will help me everywhere.
Amen, brother. (get it)

There is a limit though, somewhere. I can't necessarily define where the limit is, but I can say that Washed Out crossed it, for example:

Washed Out - Feel It All Around (2009)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DkslcOhytU

Gary Low - I Want You (1983)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEVpQKGjn-c

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 21, 2014

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Call it the Duchamp urinal limit

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Dessert Rose posted:

Hey so there was that big kerfuffle a couple pages ago and I just wanted to post that it knocked me out of a little block I'd been dealing with these past couple months. I was sort of stuck on "if I didn't [play it myself/make the patch myself/synthesize it/make it from MIDI notes] it isn't really "my" music", and I was letting that get in the way of just making all the garbage I have in me and creating whatever I can using whatever tools I have.

So thanks for the argument :)

Yeah, I realized that I went from sperging for thirty hours on the perfect kick to making this in an afternoon (which I'm still working on and need to make less remix-y) and some of it was sampling out elements of percussion from older vinyl and mixing it with premade as poo poo claps/kicks. I EQed things enough that they're probably not recognizable on their own and I'm actually happy with where it's going, which is totally new for me.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

minidracula posted:

I know this is a VST (boo! hiss!) and I'm a dirty software person (kill the heretic!), but has anyone here looked at and/or played with Scope?

Synthtopia page on it

Actual Glitchmachines product page

The first YouTube video (from the Synthtopia page) is a pretty good general overview, without getting into patching details. He covers that in another video.

For only $49, and with the modular sample library, and the flexibility, I'm terribly tempted...
Apologies for the self-quoting, but for anyone else who was interested in this, it seems Glitchmachines just renamed it, possibly due to the naming issues some posters/commenters brought up on Synthtopia? So now it's called Quadrant, and can be found here: http://www.glitchmachines.com/products/quadrant/

I know this because I just went to their website to buy it and couldn't find it, had a :psyduck: moment where I thought they pulled it entirely, then clicked around and found this.

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
Welp, bought a second-hand Virus TI2 Desktop. It'll be my first piece of synth hardware. Owning a Virus has been one of those things I dreamed about since I was in high school. Now I just gotta wait for it to show up from my family in the States. It's my first step down a horrible and debilitatingly expensive road, I'm pretty excited!

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
drat good choice for a first piece of gear! I love my Virus C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

drat good choice for a first piece of gear! I love my Virus C

Same here, Virus C brother. :hfive: