Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Veyrall posted:

I have actually no idea what the gently caress you're even talking about.

So, is this LP going to cover Heart of the Swarm? I can't remember if it's already been mentioned.

Taken directly from the OP

The LP

I will be covering Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty and its expansion Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm. The LP will be primarily focused on the campaign, played on Brutal difficulty. Each update will include a video, and possibly voting to determine the next missions/upgrades. Updates on how the voting will work will be given once the LP reaches that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Craving StarCraft, but want something a little bit different?

Join me tonight, as I cast a clan war between SA's own team rip zeez against Did You See That?! Gaming.

[zeez] vs [DuSt] goes down at 8 PM EDT tonight (a little under three hours from now) on the official rip zeez twitch!

I'm not sure who will be cocasting with me tonight, but it should be a good time!

Note: I'm not planning on clogging the thread with clan wars in the future, but given the recent interest in multiplayer StarCraft 2, I thought it would be nice to do a one-off advertisement. We are planning on doing an official multiplayer component to the LP--this is not that!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Oh hey Episode eight is still unlisted.

Gonna requote myself, since it was at the bottom of the last page.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)

RareAcumen posted:

Oh hey Episode eight is still unlisted.

Thanks for that, fixed.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Kurieg posted:

Well, he started off as a whiny suicidal nobody who thought his father was a monster. Then we showed him that while his father was a monster, he made large strides towards redeeming himself and his race from their past sins and became a Hero in death.

Of course he's got the attention span of a kumquat and at some point forgot about the "Honor, in all things, never forsake it" part and short circuited the his logic to "POWER = HEROISM" and proceeded to turn half his race into horrifying tentacled monstrosities but it wasn't Demons so it's okay.

Not to turn this into WoW Chat but this is mostly true. The issue is that his 'descent into evil' has been punctuated by him nuking an alliance city into radioactive magic vapor and loving up an entire continents ecosystem for the next hundred years at least. There's a big long quest line where you find out all this shady poo poo he's done and people he's murdered and when you bring it to light they're just like "Well yeah he's evil but he's the warchief now whatya gonna do :shrug:" When the alliance finally stormed into Orgrimmar and forcibly dethroned him they showed their might to the world by... imprisoning him and giving the city back to the Orcs.

Thrall's magical girl wedding was already a bit over the top but I think even the Horde players are getting tired of Metzin's unsatiable orc-lust, considering we've got an expansion where the plot is 'Once again Garrosh escapes the consequences of his actions and makes an even better horde for you to fight us to gush lore about for the next two years.'

Basically Metzen loves his themes of corruption and redemption and will defy all logic and reason to ensure they get to play out, he also loves Orcs.

Orgrimmar was only a setback!
Dear Blizzard. You have all the money. Please hire someone else to write your games kthx.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

Orgrimmar was only a setback!
Dear Blizzard. You have all the money. Please hire someone else to write your games kthx.

The funny thing is, if my memory serves, they do have a bunch of somewhat talented/well known writers in their credits for games.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Hey guys, is the magistrate from the precursor campaign meant to be the player character?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The_Frag_Man posted:

Hey guys, is the magistrate from the precursor campaign meant to be the player character?

Probably not.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

General Duke's the only character in that campaign that appears elsewhere, I think.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

So is there anything really good we want on either research tree? Something that makes Seige tanks... Seigier?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Ultra Capacitors are basically the 'make damaging things deal more damage' research option. There's a research option that creates a unit that can repair mech units from the air, and a research option that makes mech units self-heal, but that's it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

So is there anything really good we want on either research tree? Something that makes Seige tanks... Seigier?

Tech reactors from the protoss tree. Make two siege tanks from a factory at a time. Also, hercules dropships for ferrying mech armies around.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

For me, Warcraft Lore ended with the Death of Archimonde and the Alliance, Night Elves and Orcs looking at each other and going "… I'm tired of war. How about peace for the next couple of centuries?". Anything after that is fan fiction. :colbert:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Tech reactors from the protoss tree. Make two siege tanks from a factory at a time. Also, hercules dropships for ferrying mech armies around.

But the alternative to Hercules Dropships is Predators, and dropships are really not all that great in campaign outside of the missions where you're spoon fed them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

But the alternative to Hercules Dropships is Predators, and dropships are really not all that great in campaign outside of the missions where you're spoon fed them.

I never found Predators useful. They're good at killing swarms of light units as I recall. You know, the same job that firebats, hellions, and one later campaign-only unit are designed for. Hercules dropships can be useful for shuttling a big mech army around some maps.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah predators really aren't as good as they seem. They were a bummer for me too when I was playing trough the game. They fill the exact same niche as Helions, they're just not as reliant on good micro to be efficient. At least the dropships open up the possibility of cool plays.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Tech reactors from the protoss tree. Make two siege tanks from a factory at a time.

Oooh, get that. More Protoss research.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, unfortunately predators aren't that great, but they're unique to the campaign and I want to see if Raldan can actually use them as something other than "Strictly worse than ultralisks in every way"

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Oooh, get that. More Protoss research.

It's the top tier of Protoss research, we'll get there soon enough.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

At least the Predators look cool. Robot panthers!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Speedball posted:

So do Firebats and they're better in every way.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Speedball posted:

Yeah, but the hercules has a sick accent.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
I like the Herc for the ability to drop full armies quickly on the enemy. Mind you, the heal bus is great, but in the end the Herc just can carry more.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Zebrin posted:

I like the Herc for the ability to drop full armies quickly on the enemy. Mind you, the heal bus is great, but in the end the Herc just can carry more.

Well, when we have medics, the Hercules is the only real troop transport choice

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Depending on the order you play the missions the herc can be available before the heal bus, and can be used quite amusingly in some missions.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Poil posted:

Depending on the order you play the missions the herc can be available before the heal bus, and can be used quite amusingly in some missions.

Yes, having troop projection of "gently caress you I have four tanks on that unreachable ledge" is very effective. Especially when it is in sight of their base or resources.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
:siren:Update:siren:

Source Video (No Commentary)

It's been a bit busy for me due to the end of the semester (and Dark Souls 2), but with the end of finals, we should be able to keep a more consistent schedule from here on out, as well as making a few of those bonus videos I've been promising.

Joining us for the Protoss missions will be our resident Star Man, who conned me into putting him into the LP because I joined him in a few of his Descent II videos.

Raldan fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 11, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm so sorry.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)

Star Man posted:

I'm so sorry.

You promised us a picture of Dr. Hanson. You better deliver...

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Raldan posted:

Joining us for the Protoss missions will be our resident Star Man, who conned me into putting him into the LP

Protossterous.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
As a relative newcomer to StarCraft II, would it be too much hassle for a cut commentary version of the videos? It's just a little distracting trying to listen to the voice acting with two or three people talking at the same time.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)

Zanziabar posted:

As a relative newcomer to StarCraft II, would it be too much hassle for a cut commentary version of the videos? It's just a little distracting trying to listen to the voice acting with two or three people talking at the same time.

Sure, it's not much work for me. I haven't been making them videos because I didn't know if anyone wanted them. I'll post them whenever I get a chance to upload them.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Since it was asked in the video, yes, Warcraft 3 did have the Blink skill. It was exclusive to the Night Elves Warden hero, and functioned more or less like the version Zeratul and the Stalkers have here: a short-range teleport move.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

Raldan posted:

Sure, it's not much work for me. I haven't been making them videos because I didn't know if anyone wanted them. I'll post them whenever I get a chance to upload them.

Awesome, that's greatly appreciated. I was hesitant to ask given that the whole process of doing an LP is arduous and time - consuming.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Interestingly Zeratul keeps both of those moves in Heroes of the Storm, Blink is one of his basic skills and a big AoE Void Prison is one of his possible ultimates. He's good at wreckin' poo poo but kind of fragile, as you'd expect.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)

AradoBalanga posted:

Since it was asked in the video, yes, Warcraft 3 did have the Blink skill. It was exclusive to the Night Elves Warden hero, and functioned more or less like the version Zeratul and the Stalkers have here: a short-range teleport move.

I heard someone say that the blink ability was first introduced in the custom map DotA before making its appearance in Warcraft III: TFT. I never played DotA, so I don't actually know if that's true or not.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
And the dumbest addition to the updated design of Starcraft signature characters: Infested Kerrigan's evolved chitinous high heels. :smith:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

J.theYellow posted:

And the dumbest addition to the updated design of Starcraft signature characters: Infested Kerrigan's evolved chitinous high heels. :smith:

Look, Abathur is just trying to live vicariously through Kerrigan since he doesn't have proper legs.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

J.theYellow posted:

I groaned out loud when I saw this onscreen.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

J.theYellow posted:

You say that now..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Raldan posted:

I heard someone say that the blink ability was first introduced in the custom map DotA before making its appearance in Warcraft III: TFT. I never played DotA, so I don't actually know if that's true or not.
Like you, I have never played DotA, so I am also in that same position.

• Locked thread