Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

e: and is it worth leaving the OS open to casual piracy?
The piracy thing is a complete red-herring.

The real reason why there's a "piracy problem" on Android as compared to iOS is that Android doesn't require applications to be signed through a Google-owned CA, and thus, Google can't revoke certificates used by pirates to resign applications for third-party distribution. And that's a conscious decision by Google to maintain Android as open ecosystem.

Again, iOS allows sideloading of apps outside the App Store too. However, all iOS apps must be signed with an Apple-issued certificate, and Apple can and does revoke those certificates if they're used for piracy or to otherwise side-step their distribution policies. See GBA4iOS as an example.

(There's also a secondary problem that Google doesn't sufficiently vet Play Store apps for cloned apps, which Apple does as part of their review process.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Are all iOS developers so nice that they give you websites to download their paid applications for free along with instructions for setting your time back to when a certificate was valid?

As opposed to on Android where you can search (on Google!) for an apk and install it immediately.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

As opposed to on Android where you can search (on Google!) for an apk and install it immediately.

AHAHAHHAHAH The piracy argument! Oh boy, let me buckle up for this.

How about we agree that Apple and Android are different because of reasons and move on.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

How about we agree that Apple and Android are different because of reasons and move on.
I was distracted by ELB!'s sudden inclusion of Apple into an argument about how Android handles unknown sources, sorry.

The unknown sources option shouldn't be there regardless of what Apple does.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The unknown sources option shouldn't be there regardless of what Apple does.

From now on your Windows PC can only install apps from the Windows Metro Store.

EDIT: Wait. I have a different argument.

Alright, bear with me.

You get angry because that option allows pirates to steal app developers revenue. Now, let's not get in to the argument that each pirated copy is one lost sale because that's a whole other thing.

However, you would prefer a scenario where they are guaranteed to lose 30% of their revenue to Google. They also loose 100% of revenue from regions that do not have the Google Play store access (China) and from devices that aren't part of Google's CTS.

Now, I get that the Play Store and CTS make the app situation less painful for users, and that's great, but that's not the point. Having that option doesn't immediately hurt devs. Infact, like all DRM methods, it mainly only ends up hurting paying customers because pirates work around it anyways.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 23, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If you mean "buy things on the Play Store" then yes, there really aren't many people doing that.

Are there any exceptions other than "I want this indivisible bundle of games for less money than they would be individually through normal channels even if I have to go through extra steps to install them and keep them updated?"

e: and is it worth leaving the OS open to casual piracy?

1) buy bundle, 2) hit download and install in the app is way fewer steps than 1) buy bundle 2) go look up all the games in the play store and buy them individually.

The humble system isn't ideal by a long shot, but it's easy and it works. Which is why it Works. If you're going to argue that it's unnecessary with the current system, you'll need a better alternative than 'go buy it all yourself and also arrange a charity donation'.

Shame they can't arrange something with Google like they have with Steam, really. It's basically the same deal

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You get angry because that option allows pirates to steal app developers revenue. Now, let's not get in to the argument that each pirated copy is one lost sale because that's a whole other thing.

However, you would prefer a scenario where they are guaranteed to lose 30% of their revenue to Google. They also loose 100% of revenue to regions that do not have the Google Play store (China).
I'm not angry about anything, I guess I just like to argue? I'll agree that pirated copies don't necessarily (or even usually) mean lost sales. My point was that the option shouldn't be there as it only serves to facilitate piracy as well as one specific case for getting bundles of games for a slightly lower price.

The developers aren't losing 30% of their revenue. They're paying Google for hosting, payment processing and appearing in the Play Store.

baka kaba posted:

1) buy bundle, 2) hit download and install in the app is way fewer steps than 1) buy bundle 2) go look up all the games in the play store and buy them individually.
Why are you looking them up at all? Shouldn't you just get games that you want? There's no need to buy the bundle if you're getting them through the Play Store unless you really want to give to their specific charity and don't have a better way to do it.

So really the process is this:
HB
1) buy bundle
2) enable unknown sources (once per device)
3) install HB application from Play Store (once per device)
4) select games for install and wait for download (I'm guessing you can do this in a batch)
5) tap "install" prompt (once per game)
6) tap "install" prompt any time there's an application update

GP
1) buy each game individually, which also installs the game
2) applications update automatically unless permissions change, in which case there are two taps

baka kaba posted:

Shame they can't arrange something with Google like they have with Steam, really. It's basically the same deal
I completely agree!

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

This is getting really boring can we just talk about cool apps please? Thanks!

Recently installed App Eater. It's a really good app for quickly mass uninstalling apps, and I recommend it to anyone with a bunch of apps on their phone that they'd like to get rid of.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Why are you looking them up at all? Shouldn't you just get games that you want? There's no need to buy the bundle if you're getting them through the Play Store unless you really want to give to their specific charity and don't have a better way to do it.

Well you said you buy from Humble Bundle, but only for stuff that's available on Steam, so why do you do that? Why not just buy the games you want on Steam, and donate to charity yourself, like you're saying Android users should?

People like the bundles, for various reasons, and if they wanted to buy the games piecemeal and make separate donations they could, but obviously something's working with this bundle system. It's really not a hassle to hit install when you want to install a game. Hell, if you're pushed for space, it's a lot easier to find and install a game this way than it is to trudge through the Play Store's 'everything you've ever installed' list.

Nothing's perfect, but it works fine for the most part, and saying 'no don't do that' isn't going to convince many people

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Well you said you buy from Humble Bundle, but only for stuff that's available on Steam, so why do you do that? Why not just buy the games you want on Steam, and donate to charity yourself, like you're saying Android users should?
Because I can install the games through Steam, which I already use, instead of through a redundant application that makes use of a hole in the OS that shouldn't be there. I already agreed with you that it would be great if HB tied in to the Play Store the way it does Steam.

Also I don't actually install any Steam games, I just buy them and then never get to them because I'm too busy arguing on the internet.

dik-dik posted:

This is getting really boring can we just talk about cool apps please? Thanks!

Recently installed App Eater. It's a really good app for quickly mass uninstalling apps, and I recommend it to anyone with a bunch of apps on their phone that they'd like to get rid of.
What's the difference between using this and going to Apps in Settings and removing them from there?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Also I don't actually install any Steam games, I just buy them and then never get to them because I'm too busy arguing on the internet.

I think this is partly why the bundles work so well - adding to the backlog pit one at a time is uninspiring

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Because I can install the games through Steam, which I already use, instead of through a redundant application that makes use of a hole in the OS that shouldn't be there. I already agreed with you that it would be great if HB tied in to the Play Store the way it does Steam.

What's the difference between using this and going to Apps in Settings and removing them from there?

If you have root, it's a lot quicker. You just tap all the apps you want to get rid of and click "uninstall," and you're done.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's not really a security mechanism.

Really? What screen is it on, again?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Is there a widget or app that will cancel Navigation? I'm using Nova Launcher to oversize specific widgets so I can do things no look with huge buttons on my home screen. If there was one task I'd have to do while driving it would be to cancel whatever navigation I'm currently using because I'm close or something. I can't really look at the phone to see the little X in the notification area so I'm looking for some kind of widget or app I could hit quickly to cancel whatever is currently going.

Any ideas?

Also, is there a way to get Google Now to focus on the search field automatically? I'm kind of doing workarounds with mapping the Home button to Search but if it would just automatically focus that would be much nicer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Whizbang posted:

Really? What screen is it on, again?

He's right though, it isn't.

Unless your device is already so compromised that it can create touch events without your intervention, it isn't extra security because you still have to click the install button like you would with any other app.

The piracy argument is just a non-starter because anyone who REALLY wants to pirate would just use ADB to install the apps anyways. That's like babytown frolics in the world of pirating applications. It's no barrier whatsoever.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

brc64 posted:

The app fails to launch if root is detected. It's viewed as a security risk. There is an endless debate regarding this, but the fact is, we released an update that effectively breaks the app for a substantial Android user base and we're getting slammed for it in the Play Store.

I know this was from two pages ago, but what the gently caress did they expect would happen? A very large number of Android devices are rooted, and silently breaking an app for rooted phones is stupid. :psyduck:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

robodex posted:

I know this was from two pages ago, but what the gently caress did they expect would happen? A very large number of Android devices are rooted, and silently breaking an app for rooted phones is stupid. :psyduck:
Is that really the case, or are the tiny minority of rooted users just exceptionally whiny?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I was distracted by ELB!'s sudden inclusion of Apple into an argument about how Android handles unknown sources, sorry.
The point I was making is that both iOS and Android allow apps to be sideloaded, and thus, pirated. It's that on iOS there is an additional control mechansism that, effectively, restrict sideloading (and piracy) to folks who pay at least $99/yr, whereas Android has no such additional control. Thus, while piracy is still technically possible on iOS, the barrier to entry is high enough that, jailbreaking aside, it's not a massive problem.

Yeah, sure, you could remove the sideloading capability and require that all apps be published and installed through the store. Doing so puts a serious burden on folks producing apps as they would have limited means to effectively test them (and it still wouldn't be effective on Android unless Google were also to put serious effort into policing the store). There's also no point, because, as Apple demonstrates, if your real goal is to curb piracy there's more effective mechanisms.

robodex posted:

A very large number of Android devices are rooted, and silently breaking an app for rooted phones is stupid. :psyduck:
It's not a large number, but it's a vocal minority and with the Play Store's bias towards lengthy 1-star comments the complaints are going to be quite visible.

However, root detection is pretty much just theater. Once a device is rooted, it doesn't require much more effort to "hide root" to all but a whitelisted set of apps. I don't think it's something that SuperSU does yet, but it very well could in the future. If the app critically depends on the device being attestable, that's getting near KNOX territory.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Is that really the case, or are the tiny minority of rooted users just exceptionally whiny?
I'm currently working on a public-facing mobile banking app which detects root and I can confirm that it's definitely this. When we released the app, our Play page was just full of one star reviews whining about root. After a few days these mostly died out because those users went away and the more typical customers start to leave good reviews but it takes a long time for the overall rating to increase. People are always much more inclined to leave a bad review than a good one, and this definitely seems to apply to spergy XDA rooters most of all.

Like the other poster, one of the big issues we had was that the previous release didn't detect root because it was just a webview that loaded the website so the bank didn't care.

It's also definitely true that root detection is stupid and can be worked around with enough effort. Though doing stuff at the NDK level can make that effort disproportionate. See RootCloak Plus for an example and there's still a bunch of apps it doesn't work on.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 24, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I'm currently working on a public-facing mobile banking app which detects root and I can confirm that it's definitely this. When we released the app, our Play page was just full of one star reviews whining about root. After a few days these mostly died out because those users went away and the more typical customers start to leave good reviews but it takes a long time for the overall rating to increase. People are always much more inclined to leave a bad review than a good one, and this definitely seems to apply to spergy XDA rooters most of all.

Like the other poster, one of the big issues we had was that the previous release didn't detect root because it was just a webview that loaded the website so the bank didn't care.

It's also definitely true that root detection is stupid and can be worked around with enough effort. Though doing stuff at the NDK level can make that effort disproportionate. See RootCloak Plus for an example and there's still a bunch of apps it doesn't work on.
This is infuriating for no other reason than financial institutions caring about whether I've rooted my phone but not caring that the password for their site is limited to 8 alphanumeric characters without special characters that are mapped to the keypad for old-school telephone access. (This is actually common in America if it's not over there.)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

This is infuriating for no other reason than financial institutions caring about whether I've rooted my phone but not caring that the password for their site is limited to 8 alphanumeric characters without special characters that are mapped to the keypad for old-school telephone access. (This is actually common in America if it's not over there.)
This bank also made us replace the keyboard with one that is built into the app because "security". Which has some basis in logic except that they also made us do it on iOS :bravo: .

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

This bank also made us replace the keyboard with one that is built into the app because "security". Which has some basis in logic except that they also made us do it on iOS :bravo: .
I would leave a bank that offered such a mobile experience and I can't believe I'd be alone in that. I mean my bank's mobile app is ugly but I would consider something like you're describing as not even being usable.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Reminds me of all the apps that get hammered in 1 star reviews because they don't work with ART.

gently caress these people so hard.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

brc64 posted:

The app fails to launch if root is detected. It's viewed as a security risk. There is an endless debate regarding this, but the fact is, we released an update that effectively breaks the app for a substantial Android user base and we're getting slammed for it in the Play Store.

Good, I hope that your company fixes it's stupid decision.

The only way to install stuff from outside of the Play Store should be through ADB.

Other reasons to install apps from outside the store:
  • You want to use one of the apps that Google have removed from the app store for their own reasons.
  • You want to block ads.
  • You want to run the new "Something" forum app!
  • You want to run a beta or nightly build of Firefox.

My phone is a computer, I want to do whatever I want with it without having to connect it to a PC, ever. An iOS style lockdown does not help me one bit.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

That's all a bunch of nerd poo poo that you could do through ADB. Nerd.

e: If you're blocking ads that means you already have root so you can do whatever you want at that point.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 24, 2014

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Sereri posted:

Is there a way to allow me to pull down the notification bar on the home screen if I have a pin? Stock N5.

Nope, thats by design. Next best thing would be a lockscreen widget like this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roymam.android.notificationswidget

RE: Sideloading/Play store vetting debate stuff I skipped past- Seems pointless to debate for so many pages since the Android engineers themselves are philosophically opposed to the concept:

quote:

Further, I personally outright reject the fundamental position of not allowing applications on to a platform before they have been reviewed for some "quality" standards is a good approach. I think these mobile platforms are going to be central to the future of our computer industry... do we really want a world where one vendor is restricting what apps we can provide on our computing platforms because of some nebulous "quality" bar? If you look at such a concept in terms of desktop computers, or the web, it seems crazy. I don't think it make any more sense for mobile platforms.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/105051985738280261832/posts/HsA8VwsYPZx

quote:

You know this check box to allow installation from untrusted sources? For me this checkbox means "this is my device and I know what I am doing".

Android got this. Mac OS has it. Windows 8 has this (well they don't have a check box but they don't block unknown sources in the first place). Windows RT? iOS? Nope.

Most users don't care, but if those devices weren't ours anymore, I'd feel like computing would fundamentally change for the worse. Which is why I would be very sad if in some hypothetical future those two OSes split the market.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+AdamWPowell/posts/aB1rZWBWWAb

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

"this is my device and I know what I am doing"
Which would make sense to make it ADB (and root, I guess) only. Right now the checkbox means "I want to install this application that may or may not be pirated that I downloaded from somewhere" 95% of the time and "I'm a big sperg" the rest of the time.

I'm not against the ability to sideload, only that it can currently be done by people who don't know what they're doing. If someone does know what they're doing, they'll be able to use ADB to install whatever they like.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Which would make sense to make it ADB (and root, I guess) only. Right now the checkbox means "I want to install this application that may or may not be pirated that I downloaded from somewhere" 95% of the time and "I'm a big sperg" the rest of the time.

I'm not against the ability to sideload, only that it can currently be done by people who don't know what they're doing. If someone does know what they're doing, they'll be able to use ADB to install whatever they like.

Honestly I think the number of people who pirate apps but have not rooted their phone is probably pretty small. I don't know of course, but I would think the kind of person that would pirate apps would insist on root, ad blocking, etc. In that case, I don't think allowing unknown sources would have much of an effect on piracy or security, really. Maybe I'm underestimating the number of people who type "anger birds apk" into Google, though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

You're not going to stop the determined people, so don't try. What this does stop is a typical user who doesn't even know what operating system his phone runs from downloading malware from somewhere, going "whatever" to the warning prompt and then installing it.

The amount of rooted users seems a lot larger than it is because there will be a lot more of them on discussion/enthusiast sites and they all feel the need to tell you about needing sd cards to store all anime they're torrenting on their colossal rooted smartphones with whatever kernel and 5 spare batteries and a case that extends a half inch in every direction. They'll also have a signature that lists every piece of consumer electronics they've owned and how they modified it.

The stupid thing is that's the group that's arguing with me on this and it doesn't even affect them.

Sair
May 11, 2007

I'm not rooted and I sideload stuff. There, I'm arguing with you and you're wrong. This conversation is dumb.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
IFTTT is finally out for Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ifttt.ifttt

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

This looks sweet. Thanks!

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

Is it just me or is it throwing up a lot of "something went wrong" errors for anyone else?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

I realize you can do [b]a lot[/b[ with IFTTT, but what are you guys using it for specifically? It's always fun to see what people automate.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

leonje posted:

Is it just me or is it throwing up a lot of "something went wrong" errors for anyone else?
Yeah it is. I've been using IFTTT for ages and this is the first time I've seen this happen. Might have something to do with an influx of new users.

Tigren posted:

I realize you can do [b]a lot[/b[ with IFTTT, but what are you guys using it for specifically? It's always fun to see what people automate.

Here's some of the shared ones I use:

Personal recipes include a high priority notification (via Pushover) if there's a big earthquake in a specific area (using the USGS RSS), if the UV index rises above 4 in my area, automatically tweet "happy new year" every year, and... a few others I don't remember by heart and can't look up right now because IFTTT just went down again.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
A whole mess of questions!

Speaking of automation, I just recently took a promotion where I have to be on call. I sometimes sleep through phone calls, and can't roll the dice on this. What is the best way to make my phone just absolutely obnoxious, but only on days when I'm on call?

I have Tasker, does Tasker have integration with Google Calendar such that I could make it check to see if I'm on call with my Calendar, and then find a way to make my ringtones and dialer etc. just absolutely obnoxious?

Additionally, what dialers do people like over TouchWiz Dialer? Because its weird interface is starting to grate on me, and with the VZW S4 4.4.2 update impending, I'm getting ready to customize the poo poo out of my poo poo.

Finally, is there a way to install an alternate messaging program such that it actually handles the messages, instead of intercepting them from messaging? I use another program called CADPage that intercepts text messages from my 911 dispatch, but my understanding is it is incompatible with other messaging apps, because those intercept messages first. With root I suppose I could sub in an alternate messenger in system, but that seems like a lot of dangerous and potentially OS breaking poo poo I don't care to deal with.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Paramemetic posted:

I have Tasker, does Tasker have integration with Google Calendar such that I could make it check to see if I'm on call with my Calendar, and then find a way to make my ringtones and dialer etc. just absolutely obnoxious?

Yes, Tasker can do this. If you have your on call times scheduled in your calendar you can use those calendar events as your profile and then have the action be to set your ringtones to whatever obnoxious poo poo you want and crank up the volume.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is there a way to set separate ringtones for SMS? I'm on a Nexus 4 using 4.4.2 and I use Hangouts.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is there a way to set separate ringtones for SMS? I'm on a Nexus 4 using 4.4.2 and I use Hangouts.
Hangouts -> Settings -> SMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I've installed Apex launcher in order to get rid of the Widget Tab in the app drawer, but I also want to limit the number of homescreens to one. I go to Apex settings > Homescreen settings > Manage screens where I can remove the unnecessary screens, which works fine when I press the back button.

However when I press the Home button there are 5 screens again. Can anyone tell me what's happened? I'm pretty unfamiliar with android so it's probably just an Apex setting somewhere.

Also can I uninstall the gallery app if I use Google Photos?

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 25, 2014

• Locked thread