Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
There's no chance in hell they force him to sell against his will. He'd destroy them in court

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hey look Mark Cuban is takin' exactly the "hey he's a scumbag but you gotta protect the sanctity of ownership, boy how rude of them to go into his private conversations" line that one would expect.

Man first Kim Kardashian's career and now this TMZ is an amazing force for good in the world :)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I didn't know the local TV deal was on the line for all of this. That raises the stakes for the NBA quite a bit. Not so much for Sterling since the Clippers have had some pretty awful TV deals in the past, but that could hurt the overall value of the league.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Jota posted:

There's no chance in hell they force him to sell against his will. He'd destroy them in court

Pretty much this. I predict a 1 year ban and 1 million dollar fine.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
This sounds weird but isn't 1 million dollar fine seem really really low? I mean, Cuban gets fined 100k for complaining about refs. One million just feels low.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Would Bill come out and say that if he had no factual backing whatsoever? I tend to ignore him but here I am inclined to listen.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

The Bomani thing is Real Cool.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

MourningView posted:

The politcal environment is not so bad that people in great enough numbers to actually hurt the league are going to side with Sterling and boycott the product as a result, particularly since I would guess most virulent racists are probably not big fans of a league that is like 80% black. And I still doubt they take the team away, they'll just give him a huge suspension and fine.

I'm not talking about virulent, hardcore KKK type racists, I'm talking about your average, run of the mill, white Romney voter. So really it's a more insidious type of thing that's born partly of racism, partly of hysteria, and partly of idiocy. I know there are loads of sports fans like this that even cheer black players as long as they are "classy" and "play the right way". Stripping someone of an asset for their beliefs (even if they are lovely) is like a hot button issue for these people. Hobby Lobby went to the Supreme Court last week because the "government was trying to make them pay for abortions!" and Chick-Fil-A had lines out the door when they became "a good, Christian company". There are poo poo loads of these people out there, and they have lots of money - money the NBA wants. Many of them left the NBA post Jordan, but there are still some taking their kids to the Pacers game or whatever. Even if they aren't the primary fans, they might be bankrolling someone who is a fan, like their children or grandchildren. All I'm saying is that if the NBA did something really drastic, I wouldn't be surprised if it became a talking point for Hannity or some other right wing shill. Is it possible that some 2 bit Congressman looking to make a name for himself in an election year starts beating the drum? I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying it's a real risk at this point in time given the divisive nature that has evolved over the last few years. I guess I don't have a lot of faith in the public at large right now, so I can't help but worry that people will be dumb and this could turn into an us vs them type thing.

I am with you though, and don't think that the NBA tries to strip the team. Aside from the problems I suggested, the legal mess would take a while to sort out and could make other owners skittish.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

thompson posted:

Would Bill come out and say that if he had no factual backing whatsoever? I tend to ignore him but here I am inclined to listen.

Sorta, This doesn't seem like something he would make up. I wouldn't be surprised if he heard this from Jalen, who for sure has sources.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Dexo posted:

Sorta, This doesn't seem like something he would make up. I wouldn't be surprised if he heard this from Jalen, who for sure has sources.

Yeah I'm not so sure Bill himself has any sources that high up, but he and Jalen are best buds and Jalen Rose would definitely have the type of sources who could get him the right info.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

BigBoss posted:

That's not the only problem. The political environment (and by extension the opinions of the people in the USA) is pretty devisive right now. Trying to forcibly separate a man from a billion dollar asset that he owns because he said some racist poo poo could lead to a lot of "PUNISHMENT OF A SOVEREIGN CITIZEN FOR THOUGHT CRIMES? ONLY IN OWEBUNGLE'S AMERICA!" type punditry and hurt the league overall. Let us not forget that a large portion of the country is Ma and Pa Kettle types buying a KD jersey for their grandson. It could backfire on the NBA and alienate a lot of fans.

The people who try to gin up those kinds of boycotts typically are part of the demographic who weren't buying NBA merchandise anyway.

Various middle-America Christian organizations used this tactic for protests that generated a lot of media attention in the '80s and '90s (and they still try it today), but companies eventually realized that those people weren't watching their TV shows or patronizing their stores anyway. That came from a combination of studying their businesses, studying actual spending habits, and hamfisted protests that were clearly astroturfing.

If anything, taking out Sterling would get people to spend more money on the NBA, because people will be happy that they did something. If that happened right now, at this time in the playoffs, it'd be a huge boost for the league for the extremely casual fan and the non-basketball fan.

Rick posted:

I didn't know the local TV deal was on the line for all of this. That raises the stakes for the NBA quite a bit. Not so much for Sterling since the Clippers have had some pretty awful TV deals in the past, but that could hurt the overall value of the league.

I'm pretty sure MLB got a lien on the Dodgers' TV rights in the Frank McCourt situation. The NBA might try to do the same thing here.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I wonder what locking Sterling out of the club of owners would do to him? Like, I'd suppose the owners could remove him from league decision making and owners meetings and stuff that he enjoys, as well as not letting him go to games. Of any owner, his base enjoyment of owning the team seems more like a status thing than as a cash investment.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

soggybagel posted:

This sounds weird but isn't 1 million dollar fine seem really really low? I mean, Cuban gets fined 100k for complaining about refs. One million just feels low.

It is low for Sterling. But because someone is really rich you can't just say "I fine you eleventy billion dollars!" If its really outrageous like that or they try and take his team, he'll take them to court and win.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BigBoss posted:

I'm not talking about virulent, hardcore KKK type racists, I'm talking about your average, run of the mill, white Romney voter. So really it's a more insidious type of thing that's born partly of racism, partly of hysteria, and partly of idiocy. I know there are loads of sports fans like this that even cheer black players as long as they are "classy" and "play the right way". Stripping someone of an asset for their beliefs (even if they are lovely) is like a hot button issue for these people. Hobby Lobby went to the Supreme Court last week because the "government was trying to make them pay for abortions!" and Chick-Fil-A had lines out the door when they became "a good, Christian company". There are poo poo loads of these people out there, and they have lots of money - money the NBA wants. Many of them left the NBA post Jordan, but there are still some taking their kids to the Pacers game or whatever. Even if they aren't the primary fans, they might be bankrolling someone who is a fan, like their children or grandchildren. All I'm saying is that if the NBA did something really drastic, I wouldn't be surprised if it became a talking point for Hannity or some other right wing shill. Is it possible that some 2 bit Congressman looking to make a name for himself in an election year starts beating the drum? I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying it's a real risk at this point in time given the divisive nature that has evolved over the last few years. I guess I don't have a lot of faith in the public at large right now, so I can't help but worry that people will be dumb and this could turn into an us vs them type thing.

oh for gently caress's sake can we not do this in the sports forum?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

MourningView posted:

oh for gently caress's sake can we not do this in the sports forum?

By this, I really hope you mean gigantic block paragraphs without line breaks.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

poopzilla posted:

It is low for Sterling. But because someone is really rich you can't just say "I fine you eleventy billion dollars!" If its really outrageous like that or they try and take his team, he'll take them to court and win.

How do you reconcile that with Lester Munson's opinions for ESPN.com?

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10852199/challenge-donald-sterling

Lester Munson posted:

Q: Is it possible for Silver and the NBA to terminate Sterling's franchise ownership?

A: Yes. Under the terms of Paragraph 13 of the constitution, the owners can terminate another owner's franchise with a vote of three-fourths of the NBA Board of Governors, which is composed of all 30 owners. The power to terminate is limited to things like gambling and fraud in the application for ownership, but it also includes a provision for termination when an owner "fails to fulfill" a "contractual obligation" in "such a way as to affect the [NBA] or its members adversely." Silver and the owners could assert that Sterling's statements violated the constitution's requirements to conduct business on a "reasonable" and "ethical" level.

Any owner or Silver can initiate the termination procedure with a written charge describing the violation. Sterling would have five days to respond to the charge with a written answer. The commissioner would then schedule a special meeting of the NBA Board of Governors within 10 days. Both sides would have a chance to present their evidence, and then the board would vote. If three-fourths of the board members vote to terminate, then Sterling would face termination of his ownership. It would require a vote of two-thirds of the board to reduce the termination to a fine. Terminating a franchise would obviously be a drastic remedy, but the potential of the termination procedure gives Silver and the other owners vast leverage in any discussion with Sterling about an involuntary sale of his team.

Q: Sterling is notoriously litigious. Can he go to court to stop Silver from punishing him?

A: Not effectively. When Silver issues his punishment to Sterling, the decision is final. The constitution provides in Paragraph 24(m) that a commissioner's decision shall be "final, binding, and conclusive" and shall be as final as an award of arbitration. It is almost impossible to find a judge in the United States judicial system who would set aside an award of arbitration. Sterling can file a lawsuit, but he would face a humiliating defeat early in the process. There is no antitrust theory or principle that would help him against Silver and the NBA. He could claim an antitrust violation, for example, if he were trying to move his team to a different market. But under the terms of the NBA constitution, he has no chance to succeed in litigation over punishment.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
Simmons posted a link to this article, which is pretty useful.

Basically, it sounds like we can put an end to the "allegedly" stuff soon, because the NBA can require him to answer whether or not it is his voice on the tape, and refusing to co-operate or lying in response could be a fast track to losing the franchise.

If Sterling admits that he made the statement, that immediately puts him in jeopardy of a fine of up to $1m and an indefinite suspension (which could be a stealth lifetime ban). If the NBA pushes a bit, they can interpret his behavior to involve another section of the rules to push the fine up to $2.5m and start taking draft picks away.

EDIT: ^^^ drat you, I was just posting that!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Goddamn I would love to read that NBA Owners Contract. It sounds amusing as poo poo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

I'm sure Jalen knows more players, but I would guess Simmons is way more plugged in when it comes to people in the league office. He definitely has sources, but he's also prone to exaggerating stuff.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Politicalrancor posted:

I wonder what locking Sterling out of the club of owners would do to him? Like, I'd suppose the owners could remove him from league decision making and owners meetings and stuff that he enjoys, as well as not letting him go to games. Of any owner, his base enjoyment of owning the team seems more like a status thing than as a cash investment.

The potentially long game is to starve the franchise of revenue, hoping that Sterling would eventually not pay his bills, then strip him of the team for not paying his bills. If the NBA essentially cuts the Clippers off from league revenue, and from other sources of revenue, and Sterling doesn't pay his bills, the NBA could eventually seize the franchise.

BigBoss posted:

Stripping someone of an asset for their beliefs (even if they are lovely) is like a hot button issue for these people. Hobby Lobby went to the Supreme Court last week because the "government was trying to make them pay for abortions!" and Chick-Fil-A had lines out the door when they became "a good, Christian company".

There may be tons of those people out there, but they aren't spending money on the NBA and wouldn't spend money on the NBA anyway, Sterling situation or not. It is literally a non-issue for the NBA.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

illcendiary posted:

3/4's of the owners would have to agree to strip him of his team. I really don't think they want to open up that Pandora's box, most of the other owners are just as big scumbags as Sterling is.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Owners aren't gonna vote another owner out for doing a "bad thing" in private. Cuban already covered his rear end with his comments about this yesterday when he said slippery slope like 30 times.

They've got no problem condemning him, but once you start loving with the man's property over something he said it gets tricky. These guys are all pretty much seedy in one way or another, and they don't want to set precedent for removing an owner based on some sort of lovely viewpoint. If they set a precedent here the who's to say that they won't be next? They're a brotherhood and they're going to look out for their own interests above all else.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

poopzilla posted:

3/4's of the owners would have to agree to strip him of his team. I really don't think they want to open up that Pandora's box, most of the other owners are just as big scumbags as Sterling is.

That's fine, and I agree. You just also seem to think he has legal recourse if that did happen, and the article I posted seems to indicate otherwise.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Owners aren't gonna vote another owner out for doing a "bad thing" in private. Cuban already covered his rear end with his comments about this yesterday when he said slippery slope like 30 times.

They've got no problem condemning him, but once you start loving with the man's property over something he said it gets tricky. These guys are all pretty much seedy in one way or another, and they don't want to set precedent for removing an owner based on some sort of lovely viewpoint. If they set a precedent here the who's to say that they won't be next? They're a brotherhood and they're going to look out for their own interests above all else.

That's why Sterling was suspicious of Magic.

In all seriousness, their own interests are better served by booting the racist slumlord owner. Revenues go up when there's a second marquee team in LA, TV rights deals go up, ticket sales go up, merchandising revenue goes up...it's in their best financial interests that the Clippers are a popular team.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

this reminds me of the scene in lincoln where lincoln has to convince all of the white dudes to vote yes

^
|

a white dude

AsInHowe posted:

That's why Sterling was suspicious of Magic.

:henget:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There's a paper trail on Sterling being a racist scumbag going back at least ten years, and the entire team is in open revolt. A million dollars or whatever isn't going to cut it.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

poopzilla posted:

Why? I mean the NBA fining him a billion dollars would be stupid. But why can't they fine him 10 million dollars?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Why? I mean the NBA fining him a billion dollars would be stupid. But why can't they fine him 10 million dollars?
can we make reading the Lester Munson summary mandatory to comment now?

the maximum fine is 2.5 mil

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The only way the other owners are going to vote him out is if league-wide sponsors step up and say they're backing away from the league as long as Sterling's a part of it.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
$5 Mil fine and indefinite suspension per TMZ

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

ChampRamp posted:

Lame

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

ChampRamp posted:

:smugmrgw:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Congratulations everyone, we've solved racism!

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ChampRamp posted:

drat look at that mushroom cloud holy poo poo!!!!!!

*yawn*

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Indefinite Suspension is code for Sell your loving Team

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Allow the players currently signed to get easy out routes to other teams/free agency, take away all future draft picks, watch as Sterling signs a team full of guys that look like Henry Rollins.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

illcendiary posted:

This is not an accurate opinion. Sterling would absolutely have grounds to challenge the decision in that there hasn't been any direct evidence that he did not ethically run his team. These kinds of disputes get challenged in court frequently. If you have a dispute over your HOA and the board rules against you, judges set that aside all the time and it's effectively the same thing.

If they terminate his ownership there would be a lengthy legal battle that I have a hard time seeing Sterling losing.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Allow the players currently signed to get easy out routes to other teams/free agency, take away all future draft picks, watch as Sterling signs a team full of guys that look like Henry Rollins.

The Wisconsin basketball team just becomes the Clippers.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Detroit_Dogg posted:

*Bill Lambieer's phone starts ringing off the hook*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

kansas city clippers

• Locked thread