Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

VitalSigns posted:

The comments on that article are hilarious

"Look there are way more important things to worry about than gay marriage"
"Oh great then you'll stop opposing it so we can concentrate on more imp--"
:byodood: "Never!! The Lord God will judge us all for your iniquity, sinner!

Oh yeah, well oil and water don't mix. Polar with polar, non-polar with non-polar. Natural law says you have to be gay. So quit sinning, breeder :science:

Rule #1 of the Internet is to never read the comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are a couple of Southern states that give married couples the ability to sign 'contracts' or whatever that make it impossible for a no-fault divorce. There's a name for this but I forget what it's called.

Haha why would you sign something like that? It's like the anti-prenup "I just know this marriage is going to work out, so let me make sure I'm extra-super-hosed-over if I turn out to be wrong!"

Oh hey, could I get a put-option on my life insurance instead of the usual version? When I die, I want the company to actually charge my family a million dollars so it'll give me a strong incentive not to die.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

Haha why would you sign something like that? It's like the anti-prenup "I just know this marriage is going to work out, so let me make sure I'm extra-super-hosed-over if I turn out to be wrong!"

Oh hey, could I get a put-option on my life insurance instead of the usual version? When I die, I want the company to actually charge my family a million dollars so it'll give me a strong incentive not to die.

The term for it is covenant marriage. Only allowed in four states (AR, AZ, KS, and LA) it's another stupid religious idea that's been allowed to seep it's way into society. Making it harder to get out of a relationship does wonders to make sure that people are forced to be chained to their abuser/rapist, as whatever lovely god the idiots who came up with this idea intended.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

farraday posted:

According to gravity everything is attracted to everything else, so both heterosexuals and homosexuals are clearly deviants.

A basic rule of occultism is that like attracts like, ergo, gays are magic!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rkajdi posted:

The term for it is covenant marriage. Only allowed in four states (AR, AZ, KS, and LA) it's another stupid religious idea that's been allowed to seep it's way into society. Making it harder to get out of a relationship does wonders to make sure that people are forced to be chained to their abuser/rapist, as whatever lovely god the idiots who came up with this idea intended.

You... you do understand that this is what all marriages were like before the 50s, and in some states up til 1985 right? It's not a new idea.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

VitalSigns posted:

The comments on that article are hilarious

"Look there are way more important things to worry about than gay marriage"
"Oh great then you'll stop opposing it so we can concentrate on more imp--"
:byodood: "Never!! The Lord God will judge us all for your iniquity, sinner!

This is what's so stupid. If a god was judging people after they died, why bother harassing them while they're alive?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

effectual posted:

This is what's so stupid. If a god was judging people after they died, why bother harassing them while they're alive?

I always enjoy asking people who go on about gays how many divorced people they have in their church. "Wow your church is pretty tolerant what with all those hard-hearted sinners who get divorced in the eyes of the lord. That's a liberal, sort of modern church."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

My biggest issue with the "can't we worry about more important things" is that we could. If it's so unimportant just let gays have rights and be done with it, and you'll never have to talk about it again.

Oh but no, we can't do that. We have to fight against this unimportant distraction from the issues as hard as we can every step of the way, no quarter asked none given. For some reason.

But jeez, why are liberals so obsessed with this meaningless gay stuff?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It just instinctively makes me laugh every time somebody says a human rights matter isn't an "important matter". Because you know if that same person was suddenly thrust in a situation where his marriage wasn't legally recognized, his voting rights weren't recognized, he was banned from giving blood, he was judged by the color of his skin, he made much less money than everybody else in his workplace despite being more qualified, people told him what he could and couldn't do with his body, etc. etc., that same person would think it was an important matter.

It just always astounds me how people can think something doesn't matter until or unless it affects them. Even in 2014.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Install Windows posted:

You... you do understand that this is what all marriages were like before the 50s, and in some states up til 1985 right? It's not a new idea.

I do, and never contended it wasn't. It is a religious idea that's being snuck back into law after all the blood and tears expended to remove it and gain some level of freedom.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rkajdi posted:

I do, and never contended it wasn't. It is a religious idea that's being snuck back into law after all the blood and tears expended to remove it and gain some level of freedom.

It's not snuck in, as near as I can tell all the covenant marriage states added it in at the same time or within a few years of legalizing no-fault divorce for most marriages.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Install Windows posted:

It's not snuck in, as near as I can tell all the covenant marriage states added it in at the same time or within a few years of legalizing no-fault divorce for most marriages.

The first state to allow convenant marriages was LA in 1997 according to wiki. That would be well after no-fault was put through. It's a huge issue to me, since it's obvious on its face that it's about keeping marriages together instead of keeping both people fully realized. Who wants to pad your marriage stats if it means people are stuck with someone who makes them miserable at best, and criminally attacks them at worst?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

effectual posted:

He has to protect us from sucking all these dicks. If He didn't intervene, there'd be nothing to stop them! From sucking dicks! All of them!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

rkajdi posted:

Who wants to pad your marriage stats if it means people are stuck with someone who makes them miserable at best, and criminally attacks them at worst?

Yankee spotted

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

Yankee spotted

Close. Rural border stater, but college educated in DC.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

rkajdi posted:

The first state to allow convenant marriages was LA in 1997 according to wiki. That would be well after no-fault was put through. It's a huge issue to me, since it's obvious on its face that it's about keeping marriages together instead of keeping both people fully realized. Who wants to pad your marriage stats if it means people are stuck with someone who makes them miserable at best, and criminally attacks them at worst?

For anyone who was curious: Louisiana apparently passed no-fault divorce in 1979, so rakajdi's correct about them being pretty unlinked unless someone wants to argue 18 years is close :v:.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

quote:

...natural laws assert that only opposite magnetic fields can attract., while same poles repel. they can't bond. That is natural.

Does this mean if my wife and I get divorced, each of us becomes a new married couple?

Divergence of B is zero, bitches.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

mdemone posted:

Lies!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Does this mean you can divorce your spouse if you no longer find them attractive?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

:psyboom: I...I think I have to re-evaluate some stuff.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Nobody in Oregon will defend the gay marriage ban in court, so the openly gay judge hearing the case has to do it himself. Thought you'd all like a laugh.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Nobody in Oregon will defend the gay marriage ban in court, so the openly gay judge hearing the case has to do it himself. Thought you'd all like a laugh.

I laughed.

Someone should buy that judge a beer, in the name of judicial process.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mdemone posted:

Does this mean if my wife and I get divorced, each of us becomes a new married couple?

mdemone posted:

:psyboom: I...I think I have to re-evaluate some stuff.

Well let's not chuck out Maxwell just yet. Remember when everyone assumed that priests were perfect sexual monopoles that had safe industry applications in altar boy training...

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Well let's not chuck out Maxwell just yet. Remember when everyone assumed that priests were perfect sexual monopoles that had safe industry applications in altar boy training...

Their monopoles were the problem.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

mdemone posted:

Late, but check out what the strong nuclear force is. Orders of magnitude stronger than that pansy electromagnetic force, its purpose is to bind similarly-charged protons in the nucleus. You know, so any element other than hydrogen is possible

That's right. Without like attracting like, the universe as we know it could not exist.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Late, but check out what the strong nuclear force is. Orders of magnitude stronger than that pansy electromagnetic force, its purpose is to bind similarly-charged protons in the nucleus. You know, so any element other than hydrogen is possible

That's right. Without like attracting like, the universe as we know it could not exist.

Psh, where I live it's nothin but hydrogen all day every day

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Well, this is a new one. A state is getting their marriage ban challenged via lawsuit filed...by a church. The United Church of Christ filed suit, along with 12 clergy members and a group of gay couples, against North Carolina's ban on gay marriage. The lawsuit argues the ban violates the religious beliefs of denominations and congregants who support the recognition of gay nuptials, and clergy who want to perform them. This is the second lawsuit filed against NC's ban, the first coming earlier this month from the ACLU.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The state Attorney General's slow-walking the ACLU case because the 4th Circuit decision (likely overturning the ban) is expected in a few months, so I wouldn't expect the UCC one to go anywhere either.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sweeney Tom posted:

Well, this is a new one. A state is getting their marriage ban challenged via lawsuit filed...by a church. The United Church of Christ filed suit, along with 12 clergy members and a group of gay couples, against North Carolina's ban on gay marriage. The lawsuit argues the ban violates the religious beliefs of denominations and congregants who support the recognition of gay nuptials, and clergy who want to perform them. This is the second lawsuit filed against NC's ban, the first coming earlier this month from the ACLU.

I came here to post that :argh: I never expected a church to go trolling, especially in NC.

http://equalitync.org/latest/news/nc_clergy_bring_legal_challenge_to_amendment_one/

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I came here to post that :argh: I never expected a church to go trolling, especially in NC.

http://equalitync.org/latest/news/nc_clergy_bring_legal_challenge_to_amendment_one/

Most wouldn't see this coming. I found out about it from the gay pastor at my church. :unsmith:
Not all churches are socially regressive poo poo holes. Some actually take the "care for the outcast and downtrodden, the rich can take care of themselves" teaching to heart.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
As an atheist, I admittedly don't pay attention to the internal divides of religious faiths. I will, however, welcome all pro-gay denominations as we fight for social progress. "Enemy of my enemy," and all that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nth Doctor posted:

Most wouldn't see this coming. I found out about it from the gay pastor at my church. :unsmith:
Not all churches are socially regressive poo poo holes. Some actually take the "care for the outcast and downtrodden, the rich can take care of themselves" teaching to heart.

A good friend of mine's sister recently graduated from seminary and is an openly gay episcopal priest. It's pretty awesome.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

AYC posted:

As an atheist, I admittedly don't pay attention to the internal divides of religious faiths. I will, however, welcome all pro-gay denominations as we fight for social progress. "Enemy of my enemy," and all that.

Nope. They are still idolators, worshipers of a false god. Once our homo-agenda is ascendant in these United States, they too will be forcibly sodomized and their church given over to unspeakable sexual depravity the likes of which have not been seen upon this earth since antediluvian times. :twisted:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Wow

quote:

UPDATE: The owner has responded to a JMG reader. From the comments of this post, this is his message: "We recently posted five 3" stickers on the front entrance to our shop. Two of these stickers are negative and prohibitive in there message. We will not serve people that are foul-mouthed, nor will we serve people that flaunt their homosexual lifestyle in our place of business and/or request us to produce promotional products that do so. Matthew Lombard, Owner."

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2014/04/kentucky-print-shop-no-gays-wanted.html?m=1

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Well, I'm certainly never taking my business to this print shop. I mean, how hard can it be to center five identically-sized stickers?

Edit: the spacing makes me think that there was a sixth sticker that was removed. Given its position in the pattern, I'd bet that it was another prohibition. Who wants to guess what other group/action/thing was also excluded?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

They updated their website with following disclaimer

quote:

Notice: We recently posted five 3″ stickers on the front entrance to our shop. Two of these stickers are negative and prohibitive in their message. After some public confusion as to the meaning of one which depicted a rainbow flag, we’ve replaced them with a clarification.

“While we will serve all customers who treat our place of business with respect, we reserve the right to refuse to produce promotional products that promote ideas that are not in keeping with our consciences. This includes, but is not limited to content promoting homosexuality, freemasonry, the use of foul language, and imagery which promotes immodesty.”

Who knew bigots hated freemasonry

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Grundulum posted:

Edit: the spacing makes me think that there was a sixth sticker that was removed. Given its position in the pattern, I'd bet that it was another prohibition. Who wants to guess what other group/action/thing was also excluded?

Some Danny Trejo looking dude was coming up and they ran out and pulled off the "crossed out mexican flag" one before he could see it

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So, you need facial hair to enter the premises?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Edible Hat posted:

So, you need facial hair to enter the premises?

Or a burqa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Who knew bigots hated freemasonry

Well Jack Chick has at least one tract talking about how freemasonry tricks people into secretly worshiping Satan without them knowing it which sends them to Hell.

• Locked thread