Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yx7ceqlMA4&t=33s

Funkmaster General posted:

Am I blind or something? I watched the video and didn't see any noticeable effect while he was tricking. In fact in a couple of places it almost looked like it was slowing him down.

All I could think while watching that video was, "I'm really glad I'm not autistic."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Is RedLynx planning on adding in some of the removed features?

Just spent a solid hour trying to beat one of the extreme levels. Would've been great to pull up a leaderboard replay and put it in slow motion but haha - that feature is gone too!

What utter cunts.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 2, 2014

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Aaah, gently caress that first jump on Inferno IV.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Inferno IV is a complete rear end in a top hat. This piece of poo poo right here, no matter how many youtube videos I watch, I can't do:

I've probably spent 1,000 faults on it, the one time I got past it I was at 450 and like 25 minutes though :sigh:

I resorted to trying for gold medals on the other extreme tracks for now. I really like Frost Bite (I think is the name), the second to last track.

PirateNipple fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 2, 2014

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I haven't made it through inferno either. I hit 500 faults on those making GBS threads barrels. If I manage to luck over the first obstacle and make it back to them I'm trying this

http://youtu.be/ysJ97Xdcr0A?t=1m52s

Which you've probably already seen. It looks like the only semi reliable way to make it over. Anyone seen a guide for the very first obstacle on inferno 4? That little hop destroys me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
My 360 says I have like $55 in credit apparently, and I don't plan on getting a PS4/XB1/new computer any time soon, so is there any major reason I should stay away from the 360 version? I saw some people mention pop in earlier but does it affect the gameplay at all? I remember it during restarts in Evo but I never had a problem with it there, and didn't really mind anything in the demo tracks.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
It's definitely worse than Evo, but it doesn't break the gameplay or anything. Every once in a while there will be a tree in the background without the textures loaded so it looks like an ugly blob, or the textures take a couple of seconds to pop back in some places when you reset to the previous checkpoint or to the start. I didn't find it to be too bothersome.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
DVR or whatever quality from the Xbox is pretty lovely.

This sort of thing is getting annoying though: http://1drv.ms/R94Yui

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The 360 version is still super playable and the core Trials mechanics are mostly present and accounted for.

Be forewarned that, as of now, the 360 created tracks aren't anywhere near as impressive as those on the Xbone or PS4 communities.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Narcissus1916 posted:

The 360 version is still super playable and the core Trials mechanics are mostly present and accounted for.

Be forewarned that, as of now, the 360 created tracks aren't anywhere near as impressive as those on the Xbone or PS4 communities.

I guess it was just a blind hope, but man, I really wish they could have wrangled a truly global Track Central. It benefits no one at all - not the players, nor the franchise owners - to split the community so. No one wins. Similar with the leaderboard stuff. As much as I am not a 'social gamer' more than anything I want unified player communities from this gen. I want my Trials rival to be whoever is slightly better than me, regardless of platform.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Am I reversing time? I laughed at this when it happened and decided to share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6WptnxNvvE

edit: I felt pretty :coal: when I got the achievement for a 5-second endo on that green box at the start

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 3, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

mr. nobody posted:

Am I reversing time? I laughed at this when it happened and decided to share

Ha, that trick was required to clear a lot of Ninja difficulty tracks in Evo.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

magimix posted:

I guess it was just a blind hope, but man, I really wish they could have wrangled a truly global Track Central. It benefits no one at all - not the players, nor the franchise owners - to split the community so. No one wins. Similar with the leaderboard stuff. As much as I am not a 'social gamer' more than anything I want unified player communities from this gen. I want my Trials rival to be whoever is slightly better than me, regardless of platform.

I'm with you on that, I was really hoping to see a universal Track Central. I mean I understand there would be a lot of work that would need to go into it to make it happen and so it was very unlikely to begin with (assuming it was possible at all), but at the very least it would be cool if there was a way for the highest rated custom tracks to be ported over to every platform or something like that.

homewrecker fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 3, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Dominic White posted:

Ha, that trick was required to clear a lot of Ninja difficulty tracks in Evo.

I don't think those existed on the PC version. (edit: forgot about track central, I didn't go in there much)

I thought my accidental move was a fluke not a possible mode of getting over poo poo, mind blown. There's been times I've landed like that on a corner and janked my way to the next checkpoint but never as an actual non-crash move. This one was crazy to me because of how far down the rider/bike dipped before coming up.

Totally realistic!

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 3, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

mr. nobody posted:

I don't think those existed on the PC version. (edit: forgot about track central, I didn't go in there much)

oh sweet jesus how

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQqXwm6_VU8

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Jesus that track. I cant say I had even seen that. Then again, it's miles out of my skill level. I'm like a solid bronze-silver on extremes on Evo.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

I never really got much into the shared tracks so while unfortunate it's not a huge deal. And I bought it before seeing this post anyway v:shobon:v.

Feel free to add me to the 360 user list!

mr. nobody posted:

I thought my accidental move was a fluke not a possible mode of getting over poo poo, mind blown. There's been times I've landed like that on a corner and janked my way to the next checkpoint but never as an actual non-crash move. This one was crazy to me because of how far down the rider/bike dipped before coming up.

Totally realistic!
Didn't get the PC version of Evo but I think it was there for Trials 2 way back, and definitely was a trick in HD and Evo on 360. Basically as long as you can hook the ledge between the tire and fender you have a good chance of recovering, it's also a trick for some platforms you might be having trouble with reaching and some other uses. Basically the stuff you see in the :ninja: track videos, you can apply that to similar situations in the regular levels at times.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's the same guy pulling off the rear wheel thing on inferno 4 with the rabbit bicycle. This guy's videos seriously shocked me. How in the gently caress.

http://youtu.be/I_bbYysCHQk?t=20s

Ok this is ridiculous - backwards wheelie precision hops.

http://youtu.be/nXmA3mLTRSI?t=6m31s

Alright I quit. I just keep finding crazier poo poo.

http://youtu.be/w3DjhBhX2r0

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 3, 2014

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Jeeeeesus Christ! Mind Blown....

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
On Nicovideo videos like this get the tag 人間卒業試験, or "graduation from humanity exam".

edit: when making a track like this, how do you even know that it's possible to complete? Is there some automated way, or do you just have to test it yourself?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 3, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
What's Uplay used for in the 360 version? (or any version for that matter if it's used for the same stuff)

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Its amazing how stupid little usability things detract from the PC experience. Even though the game is fun as hell you have to wonder how certain things got through without being tested. For example:

1) The hilariously slow loading screen for choosing a bike. The only way I figured out that it was loading something is because I went to the bathroom and came back.

2) Exiting the game. I should be able to press escape over and over and end up at the main menu where I can leave. But instead if brings me to a menu that makes me press enter to go forward before I can press escape again to get back the menu.

3) The announcer's voice. I actually wanted to hear them talk, but having them loop over and over when you reset a track is the most annoying thing in the world. So I shut them off, and then when I get to a training track I'm just sitting there in silence.

Hopefully they fix these little annoyances.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: when making a track like this, how do you even know that it's possible to complete? Is there some automated way, or do you just have to test it yourself?

Pretty sure that you can't put up a track without clearing it yourself, which is how it sets the default score tiers. I think it makes the developers time the gold standard, and beating that gets Platinum.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

japtor posted:

What's Uplay used for in the 360 version? (or any version for that matter if it's used for the same stuff)

Pretty much the same as any uplay game. Some achievements get you uplay points. You can spend uplay points earned across any game on goodies. In this case, goofy helmets for your rider.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dominic White posted:

Pretty sure that you can't put up a track without clearing it yourself, which is how it sets the default score tiers. I think it makes the developers time the gold standard, and beating that gets Platinum.
Ah, that makes sense, and it answers some other questions I had as well.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Here's a custom track I just uploaded for PS4, go play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_FaLXJWn60

Author name is Piratenippie (with a i instead of an L) if you want to search for it

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

PirateNipple posted:

Here's a custom track I just uploaded for PS4, go play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_FaLXJWn60

Author name is Piratenippie (with a i instead of an L) if you want to search for it

The video is private. What are you trying to hide!? :argh:

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

magimix posted:

The video is private. What are you trying to hide!? :argh:

oooooooooooooops thanks

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Aww man, now I wish I was playing on PS4. I love tracks set in "The Bike Dimension," as my stream viewers have come to call the Warp Zone sections. I don't even know why, since they're such low detail compared to real-deal tracks, but the surreality of a magic warp dimension which exists solely to challenge insane motorcyclists pushes the right buttons.

In other news, the PC leaderboards are now officially getting hacked times. Some hackers are being "clever" about it, posting times which beat the legit #1 by a second or so, but there's others who have the #1 spot with a time of .112 seconds. PC players, if you see a time which looks questionable in ~3rd place behind some clearly impossible times, check the replay. If it stops immediately after the "3, 2, 1" with "Replay data is incomplete," it's hacked. Near as I can tell, the replays (to keep file-size down, etc) function the same way a Halo replay did: It's just a file of inputs played back in real-time by the game engine instead of an actual recording of gameplay. Basically, if a time is phony, there won't be any instructions to play back.

This may (read: I'm not a programmer, nor do I work for Ubisoft or Redlynx so this is guessing) be why slow-mo got the axe, and why rewind doesn't exist - I'm guessing it was part of the cause of the replay desyncs that plagued the series for a long time. No idea until someone at Redlynx gives the real reason.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Finally picked it up on the PS4 so you guys are all getting requests from scudly.

This makes about the 3rd game they've put out that I've double-dipped on, goddamn you redlynx you always end up taking my loving money :argh:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The lack of slow motion is really, really poor. I could honestly give a rat's fig if it caused the desyncs, you don't just remove it.

I can take down most of Trials' Hard levels without too much problems, (with the occasional roadblock, like king of the hill in the original HD) but usually struggle mightily with extreme levels. I've beaten a handful across the three main games.

And the inability to slow down a replay to see precisely when a pro does a bunny hop makes the levels much, much tougher.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Narcissus1916 posted:

The lack of slow motion is really, really poor. I could honestly give a rat's fig if it caused the desyncs, you don't just remove it.
If it's causing a major feature of your game to work unreliably a large percentage of the time, requiring a hard reset of the game to maybe have it work properly for a few tracks, then yes, you do. I liked the feature, too, but I like replays working 100% of the time a lot more.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Or you actually do the spade work to get the feature working properly. We're talking about slow motion here, not some hitherto unknown core part of the engine.

I'm bitter because while I expected a "different" game, I didn't expect that slow motion would make replays almost useless on tougher tracks, or that local supercross is gimped to the point of uselessness.

I'm also bitter because, naively, I thought some review somewhere would mention all of these omissions. I've seen one or two reviews mention the lack of supercross levels, but I haven't seen a single review to mention that you've got to pull up a youtube run on your computer if you want to watch a replay in any sort of helpful manner.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 4, 2014

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Unless they're written by experts for experts, reviews very rarely go into that sort of depth. They're almost always tailored for a general audience who wont notice the difference or care about these fairly buried changes. Most of the reviews for Dark Souls 2 boiled down to 'it's really hard and sometimes it's pretty'.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Narcissus1916 posted:

Or you actually do the spade work to get the feature working properly. We're talking about slow motion here, not some hitherto unknown core part of the engine.
Maybe, just maybe, it's not as simple as you assume it is. You know, considering this is the first time replays have ever been 100% working and not 50-75% broken, and all.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm also bitter because, naively, I thought some review somewhere would mention all of these omissions. I've seen one or two reviews mention the lack of supercross levels, but I haven't seen a single review to mention that you've got to pull up a youtube run on your computer if you want to watch a replay in any sort of helpful manner.
You could have asked here, or maybe the official forums before purchasing. Reviews are, like the poster above me said, notoriously poo poo at mentioning little changes in game sequels.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 4, 2014

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
The rubber on the left analog stick of my Dualshock 4 has started to rub off. Those extreme tracks with difficult bunny hops right after a checkpoint are to blame, I still haven't beaten Inferno IV :smith:

On another note, I made my first track earlier, search for the creator "coolfrog" on PS4 if you want to give it a try! The track is named something stupid like Test 1

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I'm really struggling with all of the tracks that are Hard/Extreme but I am slowly improving as I start to get the hang of the physics in regards to jumping and climbing.

Can someone explain to me why I would want to use the Rabbit over the Pit Viper? I played the PC version of Trials Evolution and I don't think the Gecko was even in that version (or if it was then I never unlocked it) so the comparisons someone posted earlier in this thread just went over my head.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

homewrecker posted:

I'm really struggling with all of the tracks that are Hard/Extreme but I am slowly improving as I start to get the hang of the physics in regards to jumping and climbing.

Can someone explain to me why I would want to use the Rabbit over the Pit Viper? I played the PC version of Trials Evolution and I don't think the Gecko was even in that version (or if it was then I never unlocked it) so the comparisons someone posted earlier in this thread just went over my head.

When it comes to your standard medal hunt, I wouldn't use the Rabbit over the Pit Viper.

Generally speaking (very generally, to be sure; rule of thumb and all), Pit Viper is what you want for the Hard and Extreme tracks. It has a balance of power and agility that those tracks are balanced for. The Rabbit is not without its charms however; it understandably lacks in raw power, but is *astonishingly* agile and grippy (like loving glue, man). It can do poo poo the Pit Viper can only dream of. Some people I have talked to have gotten on better with the Rabbit than the Pit Viper on extreme tracks, but I nonetheless advocate PV over R.

In Evo 360, the Gecko was a bike in one of the DlC packs, if I recall. Evo Gold, though lacking the DLC tracks, got the Gecko as part of its basic line of bikes.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Not sure if this has been posted, but I just got to Ice Climb and I was curious to see what a true expert looks like. Well holy poo poo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwEkgOEAOlY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

hostile apostle posted:

Not sure if this has been posted, but I just got to Ice Climb and I was curious to see what a true expert looks like. Well holy poo poo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwEkgOEAOlY

loving hell :stare:

As poo poo at it as I am (and I *wish* I was just fishing for compliments), that track is a favourite of mine. It kicks my arse so loving hard. That video just cements my opinion that top-tier riders are aliens, robots, or alien-robots.

Fake edit: The bit at 4:50... Really? loving, realy?! :argh:

Actual edit: In hindsight, I'm not being generous enough. The entire run... Really? loving *really*?! :argh:

magimix fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 4, 2014

• Locked thread