Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It seems like a very arcadey, couch multiplayer kind of game. I wouldn't expect it to sell well on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

XboxPants posted:

Thanks. I see what I was saying but yeah, that "half as successful" quote was just silly.

The great thing is that probably doesn't even rank in the top 10 doofiest XBP ouya comments.

Suspicious Dish posted:

It seems like a very arcadey, couch multiplayer kind of game. I wouldn't expect it to sell well on PC.

That and no online. Despite the PC having the functionality for couch gaming to match consoles for years, most people would probably rather just use a console.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 30, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

raditts posted:

The great thing is that probably doesn't even rank in the top 10 doofiest XBP ouya comments.
That is actually probably my favorite one.

So, I wonder what our old OUYA enthusiast, James Andrew Coote (he who somehow dropped his OUYA out of a tree, which will never stop being funny to me), has to say about OUYA now!

His most recent blog post on OUYA is from January:
http://www.crystallinegreen.com/?p=1091

quote:

Without being an expert in video games retail, I’d guess OUYA would likely have to pay for additional in-store space that would otherwise be taken up by more profitable trade-in games from other consoles.

That may just be the price of getting a foot in the door of the mainstream market, something OUYA need to do (combined with the launch of OUYA 2.0), if they want to be more than just a tiny niche/fringe player in the video games industry.
Yes James, they would have to pay for premium space. If only they'd hire you, they could immediately be successful.

edit: I have changed my mind, please read his game idea where you use the oculus rift to get naked:
http://www.crystallinegreen.com/?p=1127

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 30, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

theflyingorc posted:

That is actually probably my favorite one.

edit: I have changed my mind, please read his game idea where you use the oculus rift to get naked:
http://www.crystallinegreen.com/?p=1127

The man reinvented strip poker but made it rapey-er

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also lol I presume he's straight and his first game was against another dude alone with a third dude watching

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Cardboard Box A posted:

Ah thanks.

Then only $7,000 of that gross was from the Ouya. So....
Man, you are having a really tough time comprehending these numbers

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Can't beat 'em? Join 'em!

quote:

A new cloud-based game streaming service has launched on Ouya.

Provided by Playcast Media, the service allows players to stream 'triple-A' titles through their console without having to download them.

The service is similar to offerings from other companies such as OnLive and Sony's upcoming PlayStation Now.

A selection of games are currently available to play for free on the service as part of a limited beta period. Currently it appears that Lego Batman 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction are the only offerings available on the Ouya store, but further games are promised in the coming weeks.

According to Playcast, publishers signed up for the service include EA, Ubisoft, Konami, Warner Bros, 2K, Namco Bandai, Square Enix, Capcom, Codemasters, Disney, Sega, Atari and THQ.

At the time of writing, Playcast has yet to provide any additional information on the service, such as a timeframe for it coming out of beta or a pricing structure.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

raditts posted:

Despite the PC having the functionality for couch gaming to match consoles for years, most people would probably rather just use a console.

Play couch coop on PC regularly and Towerfall is a ton of fun. Some PC coop titles I've tried suffer from poor controls (that recent Sonic kart racer is awful) or a complexity that doesn't suit drunken gaming, but Towerfall has the right balance of accessibility and depth and hasn't gone all hosed up yet. Shame there aren't more like it.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

Man, you are having a really tough time comprehending these numbers

Just to make it clear. The guy himself estimates he made $100k from the OUYA version.

That is rather respectable given the lovely install base etc. Then again it was basically one of the only games on the system worth buying so...

And yeah, it is really more of a couch game than PC game.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Bringing triple a titles back to television.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Some PC coop titles I've tried suffer from poor controls (that recent Sonic kart racer is awful)

Translation: "I tried to play it with mouse and keyboard like some kind of weirdo".

It played exactly like the 360 version (I.e. great) if you use a 360 controller as God intended.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

randombattle posted:

Bringing triple a titles back to television.

I initially read this as "triple a titties" and was really confused for about twenty seconds.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
redtube

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Shame there aren't more like it.

Windjammers, Samurai Gunn, Nidhogg, Sportsfriends (which is itself a 4-pack of Hokra, JS Joust, Super Pole Riders, and BariBariBall), Crawl (which will be out soon), etc. There are a lot of really great 2-4 player couch co-op games.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

Windjammers, Samurai Gunn, Nidhogg, Sportsfriends (which is itself a 4-pack of Hokra, JS Joust, Super Pole Riders, and BariBariBall), Crawl (which will be out soon), etc. There are a lot of really great 2-4 player couch co-op games.

Yeah, it's pretty much a burgeoning subgenre right now. If you're looking for more go out and search, there's a bunch of great poo poo happening right now. #IDARB & Gang Beasts are another couple that are on the way. Towerfall nails that "simple, but not too simple" sweet spot pretty hard but every one of those others ones are worth looking into as well, especially if you're just looking for something to mix things up.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Midjack posted:

I initially read this as "triple a titties" and was really confused for about twenty seconds.

You heard it here first, OUYA is expanding into the adult entertainment market.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Morglon posted:

You heard it here first, OUYA is expanding into the adult entertainment market.

That would un-ironically be the most/only profitable move they could make.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax
redtube

redtube

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Munin posted:

Just to make it clear. The guy himself estimates he made $100k from the OUYA version.

That is rather respectable given the lovely install base etc. Then again it was basically one of the only games on the system worth buying so...

And yeah, it is really more of a couch game than PC game.

If he sold 7,000 copies at $15, he made about $70k after OUYAs cut(and before taxes). Which I wouldn't mind making that kind of money off a fun game I made, and it was certainly a lucrative move for him, he only got that much after the company threw their full advertising weight behind him. It's like that only 4-5 developers total made an amount of money on the system that they wouldn't have made much, much more working a minimum wage job during the hours they spent on the game.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

If he sold 7,000 copies at $15, he made about $70k after OUYAs cut(and before taxes). Which I wouldn't mind making that kind of money off a fun game I made, and it was certainly a lucrative move for him, he only got that much after the company threw their full advertising weight behind him. It's like that only 4-5 developers total made an amount of money on the system that they wouldn't have made much, much more working a minimum wage job during the hours they spent on the game.

I wonder if the awareness of the game he got off it wasn't more useful. Like, I bet that $70k was enough to fund him as he ported it to some other platforms, but if people didn't know it was a good game that wouldn't have been nearly as helpful.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

XboxPants posted:

I wonder if the awareness of the game he got off it wasn't more useful. Like, I bet that $70k was enough to fund him as he ported it to some other platforms, but if people didn't know it was a good game that wouldn't have been nearly as helpful.

I suspect this is the case. He's also now made a bit of a name for himself (I know he was an indie developer of "note" before, but this was still great personal PR). If one person benefited from the OUYA, it was Matt Thorson.

Probably doesn't make up for the people who spent 3-4 months of time working on a game that only sold like 200 copies (Secret of Universe Alpha).

It's also worth noting that OUYA gave everyone $13.37, so you could get towerfall for $1.63 if you wanted it.

...ouch, it might be less than that - Secret of Universe Alpha has 28 reviews with a score of 3.5 stars. It's O-rank is 328 out of the 769 titles currently on OUYA.

I know I said it a thousand times, but people basically funded the opportunity for a re-do of the Xbox Live Indie Games section, except I think it is overall people did better on XBLIG.

edit: The game with the most reviews is Amazing Frog we live in the stupidest possible universe.

(XBMC has more reviews, but is not a game)

double edit: Also, I found a guy doing a Kickstarter for an OUYA review series. Which he started 5 days ago. I do not know how you could possibly think that was a good idea.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/588784967/nevermore-studios-video-series

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 2, 2014

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Imagined posted:

Translation: "I tried to play it with mouse and keyboard like some kind of weirdo".

It played exactly like the 360 version (I.e. great) if you use a 360 controller as God intended.

Alternative translation: I was using controllers, because come on it's a racing game, and all four of us agreed the UI was getting in the way.

I'm sure the game is great and all but it wasn't working for a bunch of drunken idiots with short attention spans. If we're not having fun within a minute of the game loading it gets rejected. FICKLE.

sleepwalkers posted:

Nice, thanks for the suggestions, will check 'em out. Crawl looks like the good poo poo!

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 2, 2014

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

We may have a new contender in the "worst console wannabe" space.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/02/report-comcast-preparing-deal-allowing-customers-to-stream-ea-video-games/ posted:

Comcast Corp may soon allow customers using its butt-connected X1 cable box system to buy games from Electronic Arts Inc through their televisions, according to five sources briefed on the plans.

[...]

Comcast would make the games available on X1, a video operating system with apps and an interface that is considered the most sophisticated in the cable industry, the sources said. It features Internet applications, viewing recommendations and voice control.

[...]

Under the agreement now being hashed out with Electronic Arts, Comcast will offer action, sports and casual titles from EA’s portfolio, including potential titles such as “FIFA,” “Madden,” “Monopoly” and “Plants vs. Zombies,” the people said. The game offerings have not been finalized.

Customers will be able to turn their tablets into controllers to play the games. Revenue share terms and the exact release date have not been decided.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ah yes, Comcast, my trusted and valued source in electronics and entertainment

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

gschmidl posted:

"butt-connected"

You just outed yourself as a "cloud-to-butt" extension user. :yosbutt:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

quote:

X1 cable box system
Hmmmmm :crossarms:

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013
So apparently the Washington state attorney general filed a lawsuit against a couple guys who didn't deliver on their Kickstarter project, for violating the Consumer Protection Act. It's still a long shot, but if this case goes through, people seeking crowdfunding might become legally liable for failing to ship the backer rewards that they promised.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Colosmicon posted:

So apparently the Washington state attorney general filed a lawsuit against a couple guys who didn't deliver on their Kickstarter project, for violating the Consumer Protection Act. It's still a long shot, but if this case goes through, people seeking crowdfunding might become legally liable for failing to ship the backer rewards that they promised.

As much as I want to see OUYAcorp punched in the grundle, making Kickstarter-type project creators legally liable to deliver is probably the quickest way to ensure that no one can crowdfund without an existing corporate structure in place. That's fine for the Double Fines and Veronica Mars of the world, but it really puts a huge burden on the little guys if some guy who didn't get his fetish playing cards fast enough is going to be able to actually sue instead of just threatening it every other post.

Example: I just kickstarted some Arkham Horror dice from a guy who is basically pooling people's money together in his apartment and sending out for manufacturing at a bulk rate. I don't think those type of things are viable anymore if he's potentially on the hook for $2,000 per ~$15 dice order.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

What Fun posted:

As much as I want to see OUYAcorp punched in the grundle, making Kickstarter-type project creators legally liable to deliver is probably the quickest way to ensure that no one can crowdfund without an existing corporate structure in place. That's fine for the Double Fines and Veronica Mars of the world, but it really puts a huge burden on the little guys if some guy who didn't get his fetish playing cards fast enough is going to be able to actually sue instead of just threatening it every other post.

Example: I just kickstarted some Arkham Horror dice from a guy who is basically pooling people's money together in his apartment and sending out for manufacturing at a bulk rate. I don't think those type of things are viable anymore if he's potentially on the hook for $2,000 per ~$15 dice order.

Even if the only penalty was "you have to refund people if you can't deliver" it'd still be a pretty huge problem. Since companies probably wouldn't know they can't deliver until after they've spent a significant portion of the funds, and no longer can just easily refund pledges.

Yeah it'd probably result in people putting more effort into their business plans, but it'd also cut down in risky interesting campaigns. And that's kinda the best part of KS.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hah, your move Big Thre-- oh.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I've barely been keeping up with this thread at all but is Towerfall fun?

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
You guys think consumer protection is a bad thing because some lovely amateur Kickstarters might never see the light of day? :psypop:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

A Bystander posted:

I've barely been keeping up with this thread at all but is Towerfall fun?

I think that it's not as good as Samurai Gun.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Nauta posted:

You guys think consumer protection is a bad thing because some lovely amateur Kickstarters might never see the light of day? :psypop:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

The problem you're having is that you think Kickstarter is a website where consumers buy things. It's not. If there's protection needed there, it would be something to make sure the campaign people actually spend the donations on what they've said they're going to spend it on.

If someone makes a good faith effort to succeed with the project, and they spend the money raised as promised, and they still fail, and thus can't give the rewards or even refunds, where's the criminal act?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

randombattle posted:

Don't know what that is, but if it's good, that's a shame, I guess.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

XboxPants posted:

The problem you're having is that you think Kickstarter is a website where consumers buy things.

The problem is that's what 95% of people who visit kickstarter think it is though, and if you look at it, it technically is a site for pre-ordering products more often than not.

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.

randombattle posted:

This. After reading in this thread ages ago about how Towerfall was so amazing, I bought it on Steam to try it with some friends. After ten minutes of trying it out we went to Samurai Gunn because it it approximately twenty-five times more enjoyable to play.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

SilverWingedSeraph posted:

This. After reading in this thread ages ago about how Towerfall was so amazing, I bought it on Steam to try it with some friends. After ten minutes of trying it out we went to Samurai Gunn because it it approximately twenty-five times more enjoyable to play.

From what I've seen of Samurai Gunn, Towerfall has a lot more depth to it than Gunn. Not the item bullshit, but the basic mechanics are much more layered. Which is not to say at all that it's better; some of the best games ever made are quite simple. Depth does not equal quality.

But it does man that while you can get a pretty clear picture of everything that's going on in Samurai Gunn in 10 minutes, the same is not true for Towerfall. There are a lot of techniques and subtleties that aren't obvious at first (catching arrows, double-jumps, etc). A lot of people seem to warm up to Towerfall over several sessions, rather than just jumping straight into it and thinking it's great, like Gunn. And maybe that makes it a worse game. But it's probably a mistake to write it off as uninteresting after only 10 minutes.

Rudager posted:

The problem is that's what 95% of people who visit kickstarter think it is though, and if you look at it, it technically is a site for pre-ordering products more often than not.

It sure is a pet peeve of mine when people use the word "technically" to mean the exact opposite of what it actually means. "Technically" and "effectively" are not interchangeable.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 3, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

XboxPants posted:

It sure is a pet peeve of mine when people use the word "technically" to mean the exact opposite of what it actually means. "Technically" and "effectively" are not interchangeable.

So answer me this then mister English, did you back the kickstarter because you wanted it to succeed or because your wanted a "dev kit"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rudager posted:

So answer me this then mister English, did you back the kickstarter because you wanted it to succeed or because your wanted a "dev kit"?

Because I wanted it to succeed, that's the only good reason to back any Kickstarter. I was certainly hopeful I'd get a system out of it, but that wasn't the main reason I backed. Feel free to go back and check my previous posts, I've said this many times.

edit: I looked one up.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532967&userid=91732&perpage=40&pagenumber=21#post416986089

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 3, 2014

• Locked thread