Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Ooh, now Ben Stein's on there. Let's see if he openly applauds the return to the Gilded Age again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm watching In the Blood, wherein a mildly annoyed Gina Carano beats the poo poo out of people in the Caribbean, including Danny Trejo and Luis Guzman. Filmed with handycams and edited in iMovie, by the director of Seal Team Six: The Raid on Osama Bin Laden. I paid $7 for that.

Now I could and probably should be watching Orphan Black for free, but this still seems to be a better use of my time than CNN. Just wish I had something harder than beer.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

DivisionPost posted:

I'm watching In the Blood, wherein a mildly annoyed Gina Carano beats the poo poo out of people in the Caribbean, including Danny Trejo and Luis Guzman. Filmed with handycams and edited in iMovie, by the director of Seal Team Six: The Raid on Osama Bin Laden. I paid $7 for that.

Now I could and probably should be watching Orphan Black for free, but this still seems to be a better use of my time than CNN. Just wish I had something harder than beer.

I'm debating whether I want to wait for Joel McHale to come on (he's the host).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Huh, I thought Review ended on a pretty strong note actually. :shrug:

Not as good as Sex House or Porkin', but still.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Michael Pitt on last night's episode of Hannibal. :stare:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

muscles like this? posted:

Michael Pitt on last night's episode of Hannibal. :stare:

It's perfect casting. He's the only handsome goodish actor I know who somehow looks worryingly like a pig.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Precision, what happened to your review of Metal Hurlant Chronicles? Did you collapse before the ending?

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Calculate the amount of time you have spent watching TV. You type in the name of tv shows and number of seasons you've watched, and it tallies up the total time.

http://tiii.me/

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Simstim posted:

Calculate the amount of time you have spent watching TV. You type in the name of tv shows and number of seasons you've watched, and it tallies up the total time.

An embarrassing amount.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Simstim posted:

I'm in the process of filling this out right now. I see a large number getting larger. It's scaring me.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I'm just trying to remember how much TV I've watched. That's the scary part.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Gonz posted:

I'm in the process of filling this out right now. I see a large number getting larger. It's scaring me.

The same, I'm trying to remember not just dramas I've watched but also educational programs like Planet Earth.. I haven't even gotten into cartoons yet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well 8 seasons of 24 is 8 days of TV by itself, and I've rewatched every season, so...

And that's only 1 show :gonk:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Simstim posted:

The same, I'm trying to remember not just dramas I've watched but also educational programs like Planet Earth.. I haven't even gotten into cartoons yet.

I'm just going down several lists online of all shows broadcasted on American TV since the late 70's and adding ones that i've seen to the list. All genres except game shows and late night, because I have no clue how many of those i've watched. Same goes for Sesame Street when I was a child.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I counted every show. 24 days of tv. Oh dog. That's quite a bit.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Well, to the best of my knowledge, i've racked my brain for all the TV programming i've watched in the last 30-some odd years, and i've come up with 526 days, 2 hours and 49 minutes.

*falls to knees; weeps*

EDIT: And that doesn't count ESPN Sportscenter, sporting events in general, late night talk shows, game shows or time spent during my youth watching Sesame Street.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 4, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Ravane posted:

I counted every show. 24 days of tv. Oh dog. That's quite a bit.
I'm at 93 and I'm at a loss at what else I have watched but ended up forgetting about.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
The entire run of MST3K is 14 days, 18 minutes.

I've watched it through in its entirety at least 3 times.

There's no way I'm doing this for every show. That right there tells me all I need to know.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

A bulk of my number is Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise), Law & Order (Vanilla, SVU and Criminal Intent), Homicide: Life on the Street, every season of 24, WWE Raw and WWE Smackdown, WCW Nitro and WCW Thunder, Stargate: SG-1, The X-Files, COPS, the modern day Doctor Who series and Unsolved Mysteries.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 4, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I wonder how much loving time I spent watching Pokemon and Dragonball Z when I was younger...

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Me at age 12.

Dad: I think you should stop spending so much money on Dragonball Z poo poo.
Me: Why!? I'll love this show forever!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I didn't start watching TV seriously until I was 18, and by then I was already an old man.

I wonder how many hours I've logged in reading.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I wonder how much loving time I spent watching Pokemon and Dragonball Z when I was younger...

Every episode of Dragonball Z and Pokemon equals 22 days, 14 hours and 45 minutes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gonz posted:

Every episode of Dragonball Z and Pokemon equals 22 days, 14 hours and 45 minutes.
Hahaha holy gently caress. I didn't see every episode of Pokemon but I definitely saw every episode of DBZ, a lot of them more than once.

And I've seen every episode of Seinfeld at least 10 times. And I've seen every episode of South Park at least once. And every episode of Home Improvement. And every episode of Fresh Prince Of Bel Air. And every episode of Full House. And every episode of Futurama. And the entire series of Breaking Bad like 3 times.

Christ, I don't even want to add all this up :negative:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

lelandjs posted:

When watching timeshifted content I usually skip through ads (I love the 30 second skip button on my TiVO) but I will sometimes to go back and watch them if something catches my ears/eyes. The Gary Busey Kindle TV ad and the iPad ad where they're playing Gigantic, for instance. I'll never buy an iPad or Kindle TV though, so I can't say that the ads I choose to watch have any effect on me beyond distracting me from my TV show for 30 seconds at a time.

I just want everyone to know who doesn't already that that song is about big black dick. It was inspired by a movie where a married white woman has an affair with a black teen and the narrator of the song is watching this couple have sex.

I'm not sure how that sells iphones, but I do enjoy the commercial.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of interesting to see cable networks decide that they can swear if they really want to. For example, both USA and Adult Swim have decided to open the "poo poo" floodgates, letting new shows say poo poo as much as they want unbleeped.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Its kind of interesting to see cable networks decide that they can swear if they really want to. For example, both USA and Adult Swim have decided to open the "poo poo" floodgates, letting new shows say poo poo as much as they want unbleeped.

Same goes for Syfy and FX/FXX as of late (moreso Syfy; there's at least 10 uses of "poo poo" per episode on Continuum).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"poo poo" is used on Conan on TBS all the time.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I don't think that cable networks have ever cared about people saying poo poo, but gently caress is still a hard no. It's almost to the point of parody, actually--Breaking Bad was full of violence and swearing but AMC refused to let them use the word gently caress and blurred/bleeped it when it was shown or a character said it. It's not like the show used the word in a gratuitous manner, either; the two times I recall were a punchline and as a reaction to a situation where using the word was pretty much the only thing the character would have said.

It kinda bothers me that most networks just straight up refuse to let characters say gently caress. Swearing is a huge part of culture today that shows that are otherwise very authentic suffer from neutered dialog. I'd much rather they have the characters swear and then censor it. Or maybe on shows that feature other "objectionable" content (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Fargo, Hannibal) just turn a blind eye to swearing altogether.

Oh and while we're on the subject, networks in general need to get less prudish about sex. Bryan Fuller had to edit a sex scene in Hannibal in post to hide the fact that a male character was thrusting while on top of another man. Seriously, NBC? You have no issue with back muscle angels or human cellos but you draw the line at a dude humping another dude?

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 4, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

lelandjs posted:

Oh and while we're on the subject, networks in general need to get less prudish about sex. Bryan Fuller had to edit a sex scene in Hannibal in post to hide the fact that a male character was thrusting while on top of another man. Seriously, NBC? You have no issue with back muscle angels or human cellos but you draw the line at a dude humping another dude?
I'm sure I'm oversimplifying things here, but "America" probably explains most of it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Simstim posted:

Exactly how much of my life I've wasted just watching TV is up there with 'total amount of money I've spent on booze' for things I never actually want to know about myself. ~*~Blissful ignorance~*~

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know why any of this is shocking to people. Studies suggest that Americans spend anywhere between two to four hours a day watching television. Even if you're on the low end and only watch two hours a day, by age 25 you would have spent two full years of your life in front of the television. And with tablets, cell phones and all that poo poo increasing our screen time exponentially, its likely that many of us will spend more than half our lives staring at a screen.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 4, 2014

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

VDay posted:

Exactly how much of my life I've wasted just watching TV is up there with 'total amount of money I've spent on booze' for things I never actually want to know about myself. ~*~Blissful ignorance~*~

Same. I went to that site and put like four shows in and then decided gently caress that.

Irish Joe posted:

I don't know why any of this is shocking to people. Studies suggest that Americans spend anywhere between two to four hours a day watching television. Even if you're on the low end and only watch two hours a day, by age 25 you would have spent two full years of your life in front of the television. And with tablets, cell phones and all that poo poo increasing our screen time exponentially, its likely that many of us will spend more than half our lives staring at a screen.

Sure. My question is: do ereaders count? Because I read a shitload and just got a kindle. :ohdear:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Jesus christ there's a lot of shows on tonight

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Metal Hurlant Chronicles is nothing like I was expecting. There's no linearity. It's just a lovely version of the Twilight zone, and in fact, some episodes (like episode 2) are just total rip-offs of Twilight Zone episodes.

Episode 2 is a mediocre rip off of Time Enough At Last.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, I don't think that cable networks have ever cared about people saying poo poo

They really have though.

Up until really recently, only a few networks (eg. FX, AMC) let a few of their flagship shows (eg. Archer, Breaking Bad, TWD) say 'poo poo' on a regular basis. There were one-ofs here and there, but by and large it was still usually bleeped or muted.

For whatever reason, that suddenly changed in the past 6 months. Adult Swim especially doesn't seem to care anymore and it started with 'Rick and Morty.' Even the most recent season of 'The Venture Brothers' had poo poo censored. However, ever since R&M, they've let all their new episodes use poo poo uncensored.

Same is with Syfy. Continuum was censored for the first two seasons, but they are letting it go this year. I'm pretty sure Being Human said poo poo a few times in its last season as well. BBC-A is another one, they used to censor even James May saying 'cock' on Top Gear, but now they let all the language go.

I think the networks saw that the highest rated shows on cable really didn't bother to censor anything and it wasn't scaring off advertisers.

Meanwhile, Comedy Central still usually bleeps 'poo poo' on the Daily Show and Colbert.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 4, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Epi Lepi posted:

I just want everyone to know who doesn't already that that song is about big black dick. It was inspired by a movie where a married white woman has an affair with a black teen and the narrator of the song is watching this couple have sex.

I'm not sure how that sells iphones, but I do enjoy the commercial.

That commercial makes me actively hate Apple. I don't know why, there's just something about it that is terribly cloying and a disservice to the song or whatever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

USA started doing it a couple of years ago with Suits and while any show produced before doesn't swear (even if they had seasons afterwards,) shows that have premiered since have.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Wasn't it a very big deal years ago when South Park had an episode where they (meaning cable tv) could finally say 'poo poo' uncensored?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
As I recall, the weird thing about that episode was they originally didn't say poo poo all that much, but they ran into issues with the censor that were only ameliorated when they decided to say it over 100 times. Apparently once you went from "a lot" into "ridiculously a lot" suddenly the point you're making overrides people being scared of The S Word.

• Locked thread