Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Level Slide posted:

aerosol... beer?

beer you huff because drinking it is too much of an effort and the taste might be bitter to baby-man's delicate taste buds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Didn't Jack Tretton leave Sony a few months back? Hopefully they find someone more inept to do the conference because Tretton was always pretty good, Olympic pool of sweat aside.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Starting to wonder if games are being made by people who actually played videogames or are they being made by people who think games are art and fun is supposed to cost extra.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Artix posted:

Didn't Jack Tretton leave Sony a few months back? Hopefully they find someone more inept to do the conference because Tretton was always pretty good, Olympic pool of sweat aside.
poo poo. I guess we'll always have the memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2QHnCwtP7g

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Artix posted:

Don't worry, they'll shove Mark Cerny out there.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Taint Reaper posted:

Starting to wonder if games are being made by people who actually played videogames or are they being made by people who think games are art and fun is supposed to cost extra.
Art can be fun. Too bad games aren't art.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Accordion Man posted:

Art can be fun. Too bad games aren't art.

I remember why I hated Gone Home, I was expecting some modern Day Myst/Riven like game set in a regular setting and all I got was a single house loaded with crap and the puzzles weren't even that good.

But people declared it as art and that prompted them to make a $130 edition of a 5 minute videogame.

Whoever is running the videogame train better stop or they're going to windup with a ford explorer through their torso. I had more fun with the Stanley pariable, a game that cost half as much and didn't bog you down with trifling pompous bullshit.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Justin Godscock posted:

Destiny's $500M bill just blows my mind. Hollywood doesn't spend that much on movies and has made every attempt to cap budgets after a Pirates of the Caribbean sequel clocked in at 300M. This is literally how creative downfalls start, with someone being given a blank cheque and they take advantage of it. What the hell are they spending it on?

You said it OP: expect a fuckton of DLC and especially micro-transactions because no way is Activision just going to rely on finicky-as-gently caress gamers to pay off that bill.

Apparently the mentality is that "$500M, even though it is almost 2 times the budget of GTAV, is money going into developing a lasting third Activision franchise next to Skylanders and COD". However, its hard to find the optimism for THE BETA BEING CONFIRMED FOR JULY 7TH when Bungie is spending all this money while remaining tight lipped about any details for the game they haven't already "leaked" over the course of a few years.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Personally I always hated Myst and I loved Gone Home. I would say I'm killing gaming, but its obviously doing an exemplary job of that all on its own.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I won't mind Destiny DLC if it's expansion packs that contain new zones and vehicles or something. But if it's armor and weapons and poo poo that's DLC then forget it.

Zones and Areas are fine, but once you make players able to buy weapons with real money it always goes downhill fast in any videogame.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I was under the impression they were going to go for an MMO expansion model with Destiny. Those early dev diaries when they were talking about 10 years of Destiny sounded a lot like a WoW or Everquest model where you buy the game, then buy expansions over time to keep you playing. Considering it's basically a Halo MMO anyways, I just kinda figured that's what they'd do, content-wise.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Orgia Carnaval posted:

You are thinking of the VGX, good sir, which would have been a great celebration of video games had that dastardly Joel McHale not been there to ruin it.

Oh okay, apparently VGX ended up getting rolled into E3 for me, because looking it up a lot of the stuff that happened there I could have sworn happened at E3.

Also I take it everyone here has given up on the Last Guardian?

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

Crabtree posted:

Apparently the mentality is that "$500M, even though it is almost 2 times the budget of GTAV, is money going into developing a lasting third Activision franchise next to Skylanders and COD". However, its hard to find the optimism for THE BETA BEING CONFIRMED FOR JULY 7TH when Bungie is spending all this money while remaining tight lipped about any details for the game they haven't already "leaked" over the course of a few years.

So they spent $500 million to re-create Borderlands with Halo-themed design?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

bobtheconqueror posted:

I was under the impression they were going to go for an MMO expansion model with Destiny. Those early dev diaries when they were talking about 10 years of Destiny sounded a lot like a WoW or Everquest model where you buy the game, then buy expansions over time to keep you playing. Considering it's basically a Halo MMO anyways, I just kinda figured that's what they'd do, content-wise.

So it's going to fall flat on it's face cause ever game that isn't WoW that has tried that has crashed and burned in a pretty spectacular way

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

This is why aerosol beer is a thing because you're dealing with such lazy no effort shits like these. This is what brought down Rome.

So in this metaphor the external forces that are placed in our controlling military structure but not assimilated culturally as they were in the past is twitch.tv streams?

SpaceDrake posted:

So just sayin', you guys should expect a lot of E3 magic this year. It should be absolutely amazing.

And yeah Valve doesn't do E3 anymore because they basically hate tradeshows. They talked about it at their Steam Dev thing, which was sort of The Anti-Tradeshow.

Nine times out of ten, E3 is an expensive waste of time for everyone involved. It's a giant circus that costs a lot of money and developer hours that could be better spent on other things. Everyone, players and producers, would be better off if it went away.

But I do love watching game companies make fools of themselves so I hope it sticks around.

pentyne posted:

They've made a game that would have to sell 20+ million copies to break even.

A lot of heads are going to roll.

The only likely way (not even sure fire way) to sell those numbers these days is to be the latest entry in a mega hit series that hasn't been milked into oblivion. A new IP has to be hyped to the moon to sell two million copies. No matter how good the game is, this is going to go badly.

bpc908 posted:

Predicting Nintendo winning E3 again this year

They're going to "win" E3 in the sense that you win a game of global thermonuclear war.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
By the way I found the magic moment I was talking about from the E3 2012 3DS showcase.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I remember how everyone talked about how Sony totally won the E3 and console war poo poo with the ps4. I haven't really heard any news about any of the new generation consoles since they release. What big games came out for the PS4 that makes it better than the other two consoles?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

No, the AAA game developers and publishers are tech fetishists. This has always been a problem in the industry but as development costs for using that tech has skyrocketed the actual game portion of games has become more restricted. People who design for tech tend to not account for the needs of gameplay.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I remember how everyone talked about how Sony totally won the E3 and console war poo poo with the ps4. I haven't really heard any news about any of the new generation consoles since they release. What big games came out for the PS4 that makes it better than the other two consoles?
Barely anything is out for any of the next-gen consoles. Even if you include the fake-next-gen Wii U which has been out since 2012. Sales-wise, the PS4 is going nuts, but it's not because of any particular amazing game. Infamous Second Son was the first major title to come out for PS4, and Titanfall was the first major title to come out for Xbox One. And those were both in March.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Barely anything is out for any of the next-gen consoles. Even if you include the fake-next-gen Wii U which has been out since 2012. Sales-wise, the PS4 is going nuts, but it's not because of any particular amazing game. Infamous Second Son was the first major title to come out for PS4, and Titanfall was the first major title to come out for Xbox One. And those were both in March.

The price tag also helps, being $100 cheaper is very nice for a lot of people given comparable specs regardless of "lol always online" like everyone thought was the difference-maker.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

They didn't charge an extra $100 to place a mandatory NSA spy device directly in your living room. That's how low the bar is.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Like Christmas come early :neckbeard:
Ha, beat me to it. I knew exactly what you were referring to. Ah yes, the reason everybody bought a 3DS, 5-minute minisodes of trash!

I joke, but apparently the studio is self-releasing DVD sets later this year :laffo:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

caelxii posted:

So they spent $500 million to re-create Borderlands with Halo-themed design?

Depends on if they can even do Borderlands right. So far it seems to understand not making loot something to be fought over, but to think about "post game" content beyond where the theoretical 10 year game will currently stop by the end of this year. Unfortunately, I don't know anything else of significance like what Raids or PVP will really be like. Most of the game is still hush-hush until E3 because building hype.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
This is it motherfuckers

this is the year

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I agree, this will be the year Last Guardian is finally announced for cancellation.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

gently caress, YOU loving JINXED IT NOW WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO WAIT FOR PHANTOM PAINS gently caress TO FINALLY HAVE REAL BIG BOY GAMES ON THE SYSTEM.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Last Guardian will end up being given to Platinum Games' and will become about the small boy and his griffon killing um... did anyone ever know what that game was about besides it being Team Ico?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Games hyped at the 2012 E3 keynotes...

Microsoft

Gears of War Judgment -- 79 on Metacritic
Halo 4 -- 87
Tomb Raider -- 86
Resident Evil 6 -- 67
South Park: The Stick of Truth -- 82

Sony

Beyond: Two Souls -- 70
Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale -- 74
Assassin's Creed III: Liberation -- 70
Call of Duty: Declassified -- 33
Wonderbook: Book of Spells -- 72
God of War: Ascension -- 80
The Last of Us -- 95

Nintendo

Nintendoland -- 77
Arkham City: Armored Edition -- 85
Sing Party -- 60
New Super Mario Bros. U -- 84
New Super Mario Bros. 2 -- 78
Ninja Gaiden 3 -- 69
Paper Mario Sticker Star -- 75
Wii Fit U -- 72
Lego City Undercover -- 80
Scribblenauts Unlimited -- 73

EA

Dead Space 3 -- 78
Need for Speed: Most Wanted -- 84
Crysis 3 -- 76
Medal of Honor: Warfighter -- 53

Ubisoft

ZombiU -- 77
Rayman Legends -- 90
Far Cry 3 -- 91
Assassin's Creed III -- 84

So there you go. Only 3 titles with a Metacritic of 90 or higher. When you consider all these games had their reviews bought and sold, to only have 3 with consensus acclaim out of an entire E3 class is pretty sad.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

When you consider all these games had their reviews bought and sold, to only have 3 with consensus acclaim out of an entire E3 class is pretty sad.

after doing this shtick for nearly 10 years, i can't say i've ever been offered any sort of monetary or material gift in exchange for a higher review score. nor have i ever spoken to any of the ad or marketing people at any of the publications i've worked for. come to think of it, i've never talked to anyone who's said they've received gifts or cash in exchange for positive coverage

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 7, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DARPA Dad posted:

after doing this shtick for nearly 10 years, i can't say i've ever been offered any sort of monetary or material gift in exchange for a higher review score. nor have i ever spoken to any of the ad or marketing people at any of the publications i've worked for.
Sounds like a blown opportunity to me!!

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
you're telling me

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

This is not gonna happen and you know it. It is ok man, let it go...just let it go. :smith:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Faith of the heaaaaaaaaaaart

Warp drive by 2060 is more loving likely

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Also, Ico was the original bad art game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Adam Bowen posted:

Also, Ico was the original bad art game
Shadow of the Colossus definitely aged better. Ico is kind of like prince of persia viewed through vaseline.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Sure, the gameplay isn't very good but my precious video game waifu makes it art.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DARPA Dad posted:

after doing this shtick for nearly 10 years, i can't say i've ever been offered any sort of monetary or material gift in exchange for a higher review score. nor have i ever spoken to any of the ad or marketing people at any of the publications i've worked for. come to think of it, i've never talked to anyone who's said they've received gifts or cash in exchange for positive coverage

Why is the standard game journalist defense "I never got any money" as if people were saying that they were getting envelopes full of cash? Is it deflection or do they just not understand the concept of payola?

Also, you should be managing the sites. That's apparently where the real money is like the explicit $750,000 Microsoft gave to Polygon.com.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The official debut of Kinect in 2009 when it was called Project Natal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gup50W7r33c

I still can't believe this happened. I feel like Microsoft had a chance to do a "Hey, huddle up, gang," moment backstage right after this went down and brief all their employees working the show - "Guys, we hosed up, and hosed up bad out there. IGN, G4, if any spiked-haired turd with an attitude and a microphone asks you a goddamn thing about Natal, tell them it was a Tim and Eric style bit making fun of what Sony and Nintendo are doing. Say we botched the humor, Natal is still in development and that isn't actually what we're betting the entire future of our division on, pretend like that peripheral and those games don't exist. Talk about Halo, we'll regroup when we're back in Seattle and we can get through this."

They had that opportunity, yet clearly somebody in a position of power thought that "Our most obnoxious dev made our $150 peripheral that no one asked for gently caress up royally the second we introduced it" wasn't a bad sign. I'm extremely eager to see where MS takes things this year, given that they are in full-on panic mode.

And that's just one company! Who knows what kind of flailing we'll see across the board. Anybody know the Vegas odds on Ubisoft showing something non-game related that is never mentioned again?

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 7, 2014

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I'll be happy with some news on The Division and a release date for GTA5 on the PC :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

I still can't believe this happened. I feel like Microsoft had a chance to do a "Hey, huddle up, gang," moment backstage right after this went down and brief all their employees working the show - "Guys, we hosed up, and hosed up bad out there. IGN, G4, if any spiked-haired turd with an attitude and a microphone asks you a goddamn thing about Natal, tell them it was a Tim and Eric style bit making fun of what Sony and Nintendo are doing. Say we botched the humor, Natal is still in development and that isn't actually what we're betting the entire future of our division on, pretend like that peripheral and those games don't exist. Talk about Halo, we'll regroup when we're back in Seattle and we can get through this."
Don't forget MILO, the virtual kid that you talk to with the power of Kinect!! Peter Molyneaux's finest hour of bullshit, enabled by Microsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY

• Locked thread