Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's not as if it's an especially pretty game or anything.

I'm not going to white-knight Game Freak here, but at least in battles, the Pokemon have ridiculously high-polycount models. It looks very nice but it might be a bit in the way of overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Wonder what new Mega Evolutions we'll be getting this time to go with Mega Kyorg and Mega Groudon.

Fully expecting a Sceptile and Swampert mega evo, as well as one for Rayquaza, but a decent amount of Hoenn stuff got them in X/Y already.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not going to white-knight Game Freak here, but at least in battles, the Pokemon have ridiculously high-polycount models. It looks very nice but it might be a bit in the way of overkill.

I was more thinking of the overworld stuff, which doesn't look bad but can't compare to say, Yokai Watch.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Well yeah, the lack of 3D in the overworld is dumb and inexplicable.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
European boxarts

US ones are similar except the use the usual white background.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kurtofan posted:

Edit: Alpha Sapphire :smug:

I already feel sorry for all the Ruby losers that are going to have to live without Mega Ludicolo in their lives.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 7, 2014

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Europe gets red and blue boxes :toot:

Is that Mega Kyogre/Groudon on the box? The lines on Kyogre look different.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

JordanKai posted:

I already feel sorry for all the Ruby losers that are going to have to live without Mega Ludicolo in theor lives.

Get both games :retrogames: or GTS trade. Train it up and then play this on loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAHHFc-gIeI

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It's definitely a different form of Kyogre, all those blue lines are red on a normal one. Also the glowy yellow stuff isn't usually there either.

It's less noticeable on Groudon, since it just looks like a normal Groudon with some artistic license taken to it, but the black spikes and underbelly are also usually white and grey respectively on a normal one as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah I don't even like pokemon that much, but purely from a technical standpoint their models are fairly detailed and their animations in particular are really top notch.

However, you can 3D during the pokemon battles but not in the overworld, right? So pokemon models aren't the issue then. That's probably just a matter of the world camera or something they didn't want to deal with some 3D perspective clipping issues or something.

Thing is they released the 2DS and they have things saying "little kids shouldn't use the 3D" so at that point for a game like pokemon its kinda okay to not be fully 3D and at that point its just Game Freak being efficient with their development time.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Spiffster posted:

Get both games :retrogames: or GTS trade. Train it up and then play this on loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAHHFc-gIeI

Goddammit, now I want a Colosseum/XD remake. The first games to actually do something legitimately new with the Pokemon formula and everyone poo poo on them for not being a traditional "Get the 8 badges, blah blah blah" format.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Artix posted:

Goddammit, now I want a Colosseum/XD remake. The first games to actually do something legitimately new with the Pokemon formula and everyone poo poo on them for not being a traditional "Get the 8 badges, blah blah blah" format.

gently caress another remake, I want a new game that does something interesting. Colosseum and XD were great but we don't need them again.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm not sure why they'd go for Mega Kyogre and Groudon when they already have Mega Latios and Latias for Gen III legendaries,and I'm not sure why they have mega-evolutions when they already have a unique held item that powers them up.

What I'm saying here is where is mega Heatran

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Aston posted:

I'm not sure why they'd go for Mega Kyogre and Groudon when they already have Mega Latios and Latias for Gen III legendaries,and I'm not sure why they have mega-evolutions when they already have a unique held item that powers them up.

What I'm saying here is where is mega Heatran

It's not confimred that these are Mega Evolutions. It may just be an alt form or the like. It's not like we haven't seen them before.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Am I weird if I say I'm not as excited for this release? After x/y I guess I'm a little cautious about a 3ds game so soon.

If there's lots of post game content, I'll be interested for sure. That was my main issue with Y. I dunno I think a x2y2 would have a ton of content than another remake.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

gently caress YEAH! I missed you, babies!

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Am I weird if I say I'm not as excited for this release? After x/y I guess I'm a little cautious about a 3ds game so soon.

If there's lots of post game content, I'll be interested for sure. That was my main issue with Y. I dunno I think a x2y2 would have a ton of content than another remake.
Depends what they do. There was stuff Hoenn had that Kalos didn't, like the biggest and most involved battle frontier in the series and arguably the most interesting contests in the series. There's also cool poo poo that featured in one game before vanishing from the series like the World Tournament.

And HG/SS did add a decent amount of extra content that wasn't there in the originals, so the Pokemon Development B team does have a precedent for that sort of thing.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I never played Gen 3 and I'm very surprised to hear that it's supposedly the best gen? I thought Gold & Silver were regarded as the best (due to the day/night cycle and other changes).

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

gmq posted:

I never played Gen 3 and I'm very surprised to hear that it's supposedly the best gen? I thought Gold & Silver were regarded as the best (due to the day/night cycle and other changes).

I dunno about that, I always thought the consensus was that 3 was the worst. It was definitely my least favourite as a kid but still a lot of fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

gmq posted:

You may find that different people have different opinions :eng101:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

gmq posted:

I was crazy nostalgic for Gen 2, and then I played it and realized it was hot garbage that only worked because it was such a step up from how broken gen 1 was. Gen 6 is almost certainly the strongest, and 5 before it. Crazy how that works.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can't wait for the remake, but is this the first time the remake is from a game that you can still technically get the pokemon from that game still? It would be interesting if they had some special code if you managed to get any pokemon caught in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and bought over to Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

gmq posted:

no this is pretty much right.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Can't wait for the remake, but is this the first time the remake is from a game that you can still technically get the pokemon from that game still? It would be interesting if they had some special code if you managed to get any pokemon caught in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and bought over to Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby.

The Pokemon are marked if they came through the Bank and then have a Hoenn location, so it's possible. Although all other important information is lost in all the transfers, such as date captured so someone could transfer a HGSS Hoenn starter for the same effect, or just hack one into any other Gen V game.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Mega Breloom please.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Pokemon is a series where literally every generation brings improvements to the gameplay mechanics.

Not to say they can't cock it up. Diamond/Pearl was terrible for its slow-rear end battles and one of the worst regions to traverse in Pokemon history. Water has nothing on poo poo like Defog and that loving Victory Road.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Every time something Pokémon related is announced I just get disappointed that it isn't Pokémon Snap 2.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

KennyMan666 posted:

Every time something Pokémon related is announced I just get disappointed that it isn't Pokémon Snap 2.

It's sort of a miracle that Pokémon Snap had any success when it came out, given it's concept. Releasing another one today would be throwing money into a fire.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Mega Crawdaunt is pretty obvious. That dude looks hard as gently caress already.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Crawfish posted:

And HG/SS did add a decent amount of extra content that wasn't there in the originals, so the Pokemon Development B team does have a precedent for that sort of thing.

That's why I'll still read reviews for this. Wasn't black/white 2 technically b team?

A team tends to have the premier game that introduces new pokemon, region and mechanics. B team gets to focus on game content. I loved the amount of post-game content in black 2. It's still the most played Game (by overall hours) on my 3ds according to the Stat tracker.

I finished Y and looked at the post game content and decided it wasn't worth doing. Overall, while I did have fun playing Y, I only played it less than a third of the time spent in black 2.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Big losses, a lazy pokemon cash-in, and nintendo pretending gays don't exist. What a lovely day to like nintendo. :/

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think the only reason I'm excited about these remakes is that it allows GameFreak to fix the mess that these games originally were.

At least, they should. Water routes, crappy/non-existent rivals, and better selection of Pokemon to choose from, these are all things that need to be addressed. I personally could not stand Ruby/Sapphire due to these issues. Just felt like a boring stroll from sea route to sea route, with an occasional cameo from Team Magma/Aqua.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Liquid Penguins posted:

a lazy pokemon cash-in

Let's be honest. What wasn't a lazy cash-in after Ruby and Sapphire?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Getsuya posted:

I find it hilariously ironic that, after posting a glowing review of Project X Zone based on my impression of the first 6 levels (actual, not Prologue levels) I immediately ran into the first two levels set in the .Hack world which appear to be the point where the game suddenly turns into a grind-tastic snore fest.

Haha mate get out while you still can (picture credit to ImpAtom)

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Liquid Penguins posted:

Big losses, a lazy pokemon cash-in, and nintendo pretending gays don't exist. What a lovely day to like nintendo. :/

Well, if Animal Crossing is anything to go by, transvestites are a-ok in Nintendo's eyes. :v:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

gmq posted:

Gen II has a lot of nostalgia going for it, but the pacing in those games is terrible. HG/SS were really good remakes, but that almost makes the annoying and grindy parts stand out even more.

I sat out Ruby/Sapphire because it just didn't interest me, so I'm curious about maybe finally playing these games. Gen III definitely seems like the generation that gets poo poo on the most, but it's also the one that has the most passionate defenders.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Crawfish posted:

Wonder what new Mega Evolutions we'll be getting this time to go with Mega Kyorg and Mega Groudon.

Fully expecting a Sceptile and Swampert mega evo, as well as one for Rayquaza, but a decent amount of Hoenn stuff got them in X/Y already.

Mega Spinda, Mega Luvdisc, Mega Kecleon and Mega Castform.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Rexroom posted:

Well, if Animal Crossing is anything to go by, transvestites are a-ok in Nintendo's eyes. :v:

yep

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Liquid Penguins posted:

It sounds like a situation where Nintendo of America would change the code if they could but any decision like that has to go through Super Conservative Nintendo of Super Conservative Japan. I think their response in the news today was something like "We don't put social commentary in our video games" which is like the most stereotypically conservative response you can make.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

KennyMan666 posted:

Can you imagine this with 3DS gyroscope controls? :allears:

• Locked thread