Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

It sounds like a situation where Nintendo of America would change the code if they could but any decision like that has to go through Super Conservative Nintendo of Super Conservative Japan. I think their response in the news today was something like "We don't put social commentary in our video games" which is like the most stereotypically conservative response you can make.

The response the actual director (not a PR person) of New Leaf gave to Wired about the skin-tone issue in the Animal Crossing series some weeks ago was also the most corporate way of saying "Yeaaaaah we'll probably have an option for that in the future but there's nothing we can do about changing it in New Leaf now."

quote:

When I asked whether future versions of Animal Crossing might allow users to change their skin tone, particularly for the international audience, Kyogoku didn’t answer specifically but said that they wanted the game to be accessible to players worldwide and allow them “to represent and express their individuality, so there are a variety of things we are planning on doing to facilitate that in the future.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think their response in the news today was something like "We don't put social commentary in our video games" which is like the most stereotypically conservative response you can make.

That's seriously how they responded? They could have just said that the game is the same as the Japanese version and leave it at that but that's an extremely dickish answer.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Liquid Penguins posted:

nintendo pretending gays don't exist

What are you talking about?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

expecting them to patch in gay relationships at this point seems a little naive. sure it would be nice (and probably something that should have been in from the start) but it would require extensive development and testing time for what will likely be little return. asking them to add it in to future games is a much more reasonable request. of course, reasonable isn't the style most gamers choose to roll with.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

forbidden lesbian posted:

You can't have gay people in Tomodachi Life.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

forbidden lesbian posted:

Tomodachi Life doesn't let same-gender characters be in relationships. So its not "Nintendo pretending gays don't exist" its more "They didn't program that feature, which sucks"

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TARDISman posted:

You can't have gay people in Tomodachi Life.

Well there goes my dreams of Waluigi and Hitler being an item

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

My problem isn't so much that they didn't patch it in, but that their response what so lovely. "We don't want to make a statement." You're already doing, that, guys!! The response for darker skin stones in Animal Crossing is much better.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

JordanKai posted:

I already feel sorry for all the Ruby losers that are going to have to live without Mega Ludicolo in their lives.

Now watch them make the Ludiconite exclusive to Alpha Sapphire, like the Houndoominite in Y and the Aggronite in X.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This, specifically, was their response:

quote:

Nintendo never intended to make any form of social commentary with the launch of Tomodachi Life. The relationship options in the game represent a playful alternate world rather than a real-life simulation. We hope that all of our fans will see that 'Tomodachi Life' was intended to be a whimsical and quirky game, and that we were absolutely not trying to provide social commentary.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
A playful alternate world (with no gays in it). I was looking forward to seeing that game but I absolutely cannot justify spending even a dollar on it. At least mario kart is coming??

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There isn't a response they can make that will make anyone happy though. Sure, they can say that patching the Japanese code is above their capabilities, but then people will say that's an excuse. Or even better, ask why NoA even exists if they can't just patch over stuff. They can just apologize, which seems like the easiest solution until you realize that people are going to bitch anyway. Then they can do what they did, which people bitch about being a lovely excuse.

The common thread in all of this is bitching fans. They are going to bitch one way or another, because they want a thing and aren't going to get it. I think NoA will pass along the feedback, and even if Japan doesn't do anything about it they've already been made aware of similar issues after Animal Crossing. Until then, people are going to complain. Not saying they're not entitled to giving feedback, but holy crap it feels like every game that comes out nowadays can't go a month without something pissing someone off.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

majormonotone posted:

My problem isn't so much that they didn't patch it in, but that their response what so lovely. "We don't want to make a statement." You're already doing, that, guys!! The response for darker skin stones in Animal Crossing is much better.

The Animal Crossing response was made after the game had already been out internationally for over half a year, so they were probably more comfortable saying stuff concerning future releases aside from the usual PR spiel.

They're already taking a big gamble by bringing Tomodachi over here in the west and the PR department probably thought that response was the best one, even if it turned out to have blown up in their faces judging by the responses on twitter and elsewhere.

The ironic thing is that the guy behind the #Miiquality campaign specifically stated in his first video to not boycott the game when it comes out. Being a longtime Nintendo fan himself he knew how the numbers game was played and if the game garners low sales after the effort put into bringing it over the old men back at NCL will just assume the western audiences doesn't want that type of game anymore. They won't necessarily correlate a large drop in sales to a boycott.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Liquid Penguins posted:

Big losses, a lazy pokemon cash-in, and nintendo pretending gays don't exist. What a lovely day to like nintendo. :/

Nintendo Japan's never had a problem with gays.

Mother 3 was full of them, for instance.

Majora's Mask had those guys playing catch.

In 3DS Freakyforms, one of the voice options is labeled "Okama" (effeminate gay person). Not sure what it is in English.
By the way, Freakyforms is a hugely underrated classic.
I still play the crap out of it. The original and the sequel have got the most playtime by hundreds of hours. I think only New Art Academy and the dearly departed Swapnote are the only other games with hundreds of hours played. The best 20 bucks or so spent ever.

Some stuff I'd made recently:
Meat Bun's Hedgehog

Louis Wain cat

Supermarine Spitfire, around Mark IV? (I made a bunch of WWII planes.)

Three figures can be shown together at the swap screen.

And, wow, Pokemon remakes.
How about that.
I wonder how much of my text they will retain.
I seem to recall GF being insistent on retaining the original experience while working on the Red & Green GBA remakes.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 8, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KennyMan666 posted:

Every time something Pokémon related is announced I just get disappointed that it isn't Pokémon Snap 2.

Pokemon Snap 2 would actually make so much sense on either 3DS or WiiU or both. You could use the gyro controls and the screen for a fully augmented reality pokemon safari experience. It would be magical :allears: But Nintendo...

Aston posted:

Can you imagine this with 3DS gyroscope controls? :allears:

Ah you beat me to it. Yeah, it would be perfect.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

I think this has to do with Tomodachi Life not having the ability to allow Mii's pursue same sex relationships. It does sting, but Animal Crossing does show progress on this front. It's still a legitimate gripe though.

When it comes to big losses, Keep in mind Nintendo has big banked bucks and isn't really worried about anything, especially with the Wii U going to get some much needed love in a few weeks.

When it comes to the next pokemon games being a "cash in" :fuckoff: Some of us have been waiting for this version to get a remake. Most of our games internal batteries are drained and we can't participate in all the things it has to offer. Seeing one of the best regions revamped in 3D, the possibility of online contests, berry mixing, and other revamped bonuses combined from X and Y. This has the possibility of being polished even moreso than Emerald was.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I just don't understand why this round of Pokemon remakes, as opposed to the the first two sets, are getting decried as "cheap lazy cash-ins".

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

jivjov posted:

I just don't understand why this round of Pokemon remakes, as opposed to the the first two sets, are getting decried as "cheap lazy cash-ins".

Because water routes and trumpets

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

jivjov posted:

They werent ALL decried as cheap lazy cash-ins? Along with every single non-completely 100% new IP game that Nintendo ever releases?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Nostalgia value decline. More people played RBY/GSC as kids than RSE and haven't played since, these people also think Johto was a good region and want a Pokemon MMO.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

jivjov posted:

Every other game Nintendo releases get decried as a cash-in or milking a series. ORAS (weird acronym now) isn't any different in that regard.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Ugh, Nintendo is remaking the wrong Pokemon games again. My main problem with X/Y is that everything's just so dang slow! It seems like there's been a fairly recent trend to "modernize" JRPGs but, as usual, Nintendo is behind.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The Machine posted:

Ugh, Nintendo is remaking the wrong Pokemon games again. My main problem with X/Y is that everything's just so dang slow! It seems like there's been a fairly recent trend to "modernize" JRPGs but, as usual, Nintendo is behind.

What do you mean by slow? The battles are some of the fastest in the franchise.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This, specifically, was their response:

That's a perfectly reasonable response, not sure why people are in up in arms. Sometimes a game is just a game. :shrug:

And Ruby/Sapphire are my favorite era so yea, that is bought day loving 1.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

What do you mean by slow? The battles are some of the fastest in the franchise.

Yeah, seriously. What about Pokemon isn't "modernized", exactly? What's your idea of a modern JRPG?

People will manage to find ways to bitch about Nintendo, the remakes are a Good Thing- the losses, however, are not.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Nothing will ever be as slow as Diamond and Pearl battles. Absolutely glacial.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Emerald was the first pokemon I played where I could actually understand what was going on and where I was supposed to go so personally I'm kind of excited for these remakes despite not liking x and y all that much

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Saagonsa posted:

Emerald was the first pokemon I played where I could actually understand what was going on and where I was supposed to go so personally I'm kind of excited for these remakes despite not liking x and y all that much

The worst thing about X/Y was the lack of content, so if this retains all the features of RSE and adds new ones, I'm all in for it.

A cool drat horse posted:

Yeah, seriously. What about Pokemon isn't "modernized", exactly? What's your idea of a modern JRPG?

Pokemon XIII: Looker Returns

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I just realized that there was no 3rd version of X/Y! What the hell is going on here!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Pureauthor posted:

ORAS (weird acronym now)

I think we should refer to the Gen III remakes as OARS considering all the water routes in those games.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

I just realized that there was no 3rd version of X/Y! What the hell is going on here!

Maybe this'll be like Gen 3 where the third version came out after the remakes?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Will these pokemon remakes keep the half 3d/2d bs?

I love the 3d but the latest game with its switching back and forth was the first 3ds game I could play with it on, on.

Also I skipped that Gen so which one should I buy? That whale looks pretty sweet.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So I bought Conception 2 on a whim, didn't play the demo or anything and thought oh hey, Its an Atlus game, so it can't be all bad.

I sold it an hour later.

On the bright side, the new Kirby game is really fun.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

JordanKai posted:

I think we should refer to the Gen III remakes as OARS considering all the water routes in those games.
As a fan of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure I'm perfectly fine with these being called ORAS.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alteisen posted:

That's a perfectly reasonable response, not sure why people are in up in arms. Sometimes a game is just a game. :shrug:
I don't blame NoA, I think all the irritation should be focused at NOJ. But saying "doing this would be a political statement and we don't make political statements" is a political statement. The PR game is pretty difficult. There's no response that would make people happy but NOA probably could've put the onus back on NOJ instead of making it sound like they made the creative decision themselves. When in reality their hands were most likely tied.

I dunno about "a game is just a game", I mean it is a game about relationships. It seems really tone-deaf to only allow one type of relationship. But Japan is ultra-conservative and this is a Japanese game from a family-oriented, conservative company. Which makes it sound like I'm providing an excuse for them.. I'm not, I just know WHY this is how it is, I still think it sucks.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 7, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bombadilillo posted:

Will these pokemon remakes keep the half 3d/2d bs?

I love the 3d but the latest game with its switching back and forth was the first 3ds game I could play with it on, on.

Also I skipped that Gen so which one should I buy? That whale looks pretty sweet.

It's kinda a bit early to say, since we know nothing about what the version exclusive stuff will be other than the regional mons in RS.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I don't blame NoA, I think all the irritation should be focused at NOJ. But saying "doing this would be a political statement and we don't make political statements" is a political statement. The PR game is pretty difficult. There's no response that would make people happy but NOA probably could've put the onus back on NOJ instead of making it sound like they made the creative decision themselves. When in reality their hands were most likely tied.

I dunno about "a game is just a game", I mean it is a game about relationships. It seems really tone-deaf. But Japan is ultra-conservative.

Would shifting the blame back towards NoJ really be a good idea though? I mean it seems like NoA'd be biting the hand that feeds them if they went with that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Situations like this just seem so strange to me because it's like...who is there to get mad at? When people say "Nintendo doesn't think gay people exist" what does that even mean? "Nintendo" is just a corporation, they don't think anything. Is it the executives who likely had no impact on the development of this game? The developers themselves who were just trying to make a fun game and probably didn't even think about people being offended at not having the option to engage in homosexual relationships? I mean there isn't anyone who had any malicious intent, nobody really on the other side of the anger.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

Would shifting the blame back towards NoJ really be a good idea though? I mean it seems like NoA'd be biting the hand that feeds them if they went with that.
Doesn't have to be mean or antagonistic, just saying "We don't really have a say in those types of decisions" is all you really have to say.

PantsBandit posted:

Situations like this just seem so strange to me because it's like...who is there to get mad at? When people say "Nintendo doesn't think gay people exist" what does that even mean? "Nintendo" is just a corporation, they don't think anything. Is it the executives who likely had no impact on the development of this game? The developers themselves who were just trying to make a fun game and probably didn't even think about people being offended at not having the option to engage in homosexual relationships? I mean there isn't anyone who had any malicious intent, nobody really on the other side of the anger.
Hmmm I mean a lot of ignorance is not born of malice. That they didn't think to have the option already says a lot about what is institutionalized over there.

I'm not particularly upset over this by the way, just offering some perspective.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So Kirby Triple Deluxe is really loving fun. I am loving this game. :allears:

• Locked thread