Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

MissMarple posted:

1 regular dice - Avg ~4.0 per roll of regular dice. Expected damage ~20
2 regular dice - Avg ~4.5 per roll of regular dice. Expected damage ~25
1 regular, 1 doubler - Avg ~6.0 per roll of regular dice. Expected damage ~35
1 regular, 1 neverfail, 1 doubler - Avg ~12.0 per roll of regular dice. Expected damage ~70

The progression curve is pretty strong, it's actually a pretty good evolution of your power, but it's not well communicated. And as I said you can apply a lot of fuzzy logic to work out whether you should roll the "I could fail" dice again or not.

That being said, whilst the game is mechanically "ok", it can lead to incredibly bursty enemies (the AI should have a hard cap it stops at). The short loop of fighting things doesn't give you enough time for regression to the mean to kick in and so streaks of luck for either side become decisive. This isn't helped by the progression curve being deliberately slower than the difficulty curve so your choice is to grind or pay to match it.

Also fundamentally because you are rolling dice it is heavily luck dependent. They should (and might already) box their results to stop you getting streaks of failure, and the AI from getting streaks of success.

I'm not defending the game as being worthy of playing, I stopped at around the same point you are, but I think that it's core mechanic basically works but is just badly presented and plays into the fact that people don't respond well to probabilities.

I deleted this when I started getting a lot more 1s as soon as the option to spend real money for resurrections opened up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

So my season pass for Republique shat itself and I did in fact get charged for episode 2.
Coupled with it dropping my file on reinstall this time I am completely done with it, 'free' season or not.

The thing is a loving mess.
It will say you're not going to be charged when restoring your season pass after which it promptly throws the cost at you, you say okay and it then says 'no, you don't have to pay after all', you download the drat thing and when it's done go to get episode two and another price tag comes up.
You assume 'hey, it didn't charge me after the fact last time!' and apprehensively say yes.
Then the season pass you have does gently caress all and you just paid for the episode after all.

The 'you' in the scenario is me and I am not happy about this.

Do not get this game.
There looks to be every chance you'll throw money at them to get content you've already paid them for because they have no idea how to handle restoring purchases (or how to have their season pass actually function but that'd have been less of an issue if it didn't also look like I was having to rebuy the pass too).

Goddamn.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
They probably should have done some research on what's possible within the very narrow confines of what iTunes Connect lets you control for IAP and giving out copies of your game before promising a season pass and console/PC style DLC.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I've been playing wayward souls and my biggest complaint is I don't like the controls. It's very difficult for me to trigger the special actions.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

mike- posted:

I've been playing wayward souls and my biggest complaint is I don't like the controls. It's very difficult for me to trigger the special actions.

On an ipad? They'll be fixing that in the first patch. I have it on my iphone as well and I find a lot easier to do the special attacks.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

loudog999 posted:

I think I read somebody giving some Shadowrun Returns tips earlier in this thread, but now I cant find them. I just bought it on sale and am about to start.. does anyone have any tips for beginners? Tips like what to level up to now screw myself in the end is mostly what I am looking for. Thanks

It doesn't matter what you pick, just stick with what you think sounds cool. You can hire runners to cover your weaknesses, whatever they are. Don't spread yourself too thin, of course.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It doesn't matter what you pick, just stick with what you think sounds cool. You can hire runners to cover your weaknesses, whatever they are. Don't spread yourself too thin, of course.

This. The game isn't too difficult as long as you don't try to be everything at once. anyone still playing 2048? I need tips

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Truecon420 posted:

This. The game isn't too difficult as long as you don't try to be everything at once. anyone still playing 2048? I need tips

Yeah, play threes instead.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Truecon420 posted:

Go up then left then up then up then left then up than left forever.

If you can't go left go right. Then go left again.

unlurked
Jan 20, 2006

Set phasers to HURT!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I'm stuck on a level 24 Arid planet mission. I'm supposed to destroy five robot factories, only four ever spawn :(

We are very sorry! I've submitted version 1.0.1 which fixes this and adds other small improvements and fixes, it should be out within five days.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Anybody else playing the soft launch of Rovio's new RETRY? The Finnish are loving sadistic.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Sammus posted:

Wayward Souls is so completely awesome, it's my go to game at work now, and I've never been happier to throw money at an iOS game dev.

bunnielab posted:

Picked up Wayward Souls and while I do see why people like it, it doesn't do it for me. It is too difficult to play causally and too repetitive to really devote a lot of time too when paying full attention too. I'm starting to think I should just give up on ios games, other then adventure games and turn-based wargames stuff, nothing I have tried has really captured my interest. Maybe it is a lack of nostalgia but the 8-bit look and difficulty-as-a-selling-point trends don't do anything for me.

One of these goons is right. One is wrong. I guess i'll have to spend the bucks and find out.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Nevermind.

ZephroDyne
Feb 14, 2007

(*ΦωΦ) <I am nekocat
Sega released some new F2P game called Dragon Coin. Its an unholy marriage between coin dozers (my guilty pleasure) and PaD-styled monster collecting.
It's basically PaD with a coin dozer as your main interface. The trappings are all there. Fusing, evolving, tiered dungeons, special dungeons, limited inventory you can extend with premium currency, friends and friend abilities, and so forth.
I found it pretty entertaining though. They're giving out premium currency since its newly launched so its a good time to give it a whirl if you're inclined.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

One of these goons is right. One is wrong. I guess i'll have to spend the bucks and find out.

I like wayward souls, but it is much more of a bullet hell than I was expecting. Surviving and winning is 80% avoiding bullets.

Each enemy telegraphs their moves pretty well, so you got to used to their timing and taking pot shots when you can.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ZephroDyne posted:

Sega released some new F2P game called Dragon Coin. Its an unholy marriage between coin dozers (my guilty pleasure) and PaD-styled monster collecting.
It's basically PaD with a coin dozer as your main interface. The trappings are all there. Fusing, evolving, tiered dungeons, special dungeons, limited inventory you can extend with premium currency, friends and friend abilities, and so forth.
I found it pretty entertaining though. They're giving out premium currency since its newly launched so its a good time to give it a whirl if you're inclined.

Next hot trend is Pachinko/RPG/Pokemon.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Let's talk Wayward Souls. I love this game. I hate the way it works on my Air - the shield is worthless - I have been seriously injured so many times when instead of pulling up the shield it makes a swing instead. Aaaaaaaaa. Fix it Kepa please, before I go insane.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Feenix posted:

Next hot trend is Pachinko/RPG/Pokemon.

If someone made Peggle more RPGish I swear to god I would probably never play any other game again

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

HiriseSoftware posted:

Anybody else playing the soft launch of Rovio's new RETRY? The Finnish are loving sadistic.

Only out in Canada, Finland, and Poland for some weird reason.

And I checked out Record Run from Harmonix and it's okay I guess. Looks nice but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to it and for some reason it keeps telling me my music is protected so it can't use it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

ZephroDyne posted:

Oh no, I love it already. :ohdear:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

So did that angry bird RPG ever come out of soft release? It looked kinda fun, ultimately I'm not going to waste the time to make a Canadain account for a F2P RPG.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

McDragon posted:

Oh no, I love it already. :ohdear:

Someone needs to make a lost of what monsters are worth keeping or rolling for because I feel like I'm playing with poo poo.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Shwqa posted:

So did that angry bird RPG ever come out of soft release? It looked kinda fun, ultimately I'm not going to waste the time to make a Canadain account for a F2P RPG.

Just so you know it's SO easy to switch regions on an account. On your iPhone/ipad click settings, click on App Store, click on your username, click "change billing information" & change your country to Canada (with a payment method of "None" selected) & that's it. Takes 30 seconds to do, 30 seconds to switch back to US.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
What's the controls like on KotoR?

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

porktree posted:

Let's talk Wayward Souls. I love this game. I hate the way it works on my Air - the shield is worthless - I have been seriously injured so many times when instead of pulling up the shield it makes a swing instead. Aaaaaaaaa. Fix it Kepa please, before I go insane.

Yeah sensitivity fixes for iPad (and most likely customization of it in options) will be in the first update.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Valicious posted:

Commands (battle/skills) are given through simple enough on screen buttons while movement is handled using swipes.
Right and left turns the camera. Up and down moves you forward and backward based on the camera orientation.

It's relatively painless.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Valicious posted:

On the iPad my experience has been pretty good. The whole "pause at the start of combat" mechanic from the original PC version makes it very forgiving. Swiping to move can be mildly annoying when turning around but the controls are surprisingly good over all. On the iPhone I found it a little more cramped but totally playable on the go.

The ability to designate one of your save games as your cloud save and use it between devices is also very cool. The bulk of my play is on the iPad at home but it's a neat option to have.

It's been a fun walk down memory lane replaying it so far. Going dark side is so much fun. Running around being a murderous evil rear end in a top hat at every opportunity.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Sad lions posted:

So my season pass for Republique shat itself and I did in fact get charged for episode 2.
Coupled with it dropping my file on reinstall this time I am completely done with it, 'free' season or not.

The thing is a loving mess.
It will say you're not going to be charged when restoring your season pass after which it promptly throws the cost at you, you say okay and it then says 'no, you don't have to pay after all', you download the drat thing and when it's done go to get episode two and another price tag comes up.
You assume 'hey, it didn't charge me after the fact last time!' and apprehensively say yes.
Then the season pass you have does gently caress all and you just paid for the episode after all.

The 'you' in the scenario is me and I am not happy about this.

Do not get this game.
There looks to be every chance you'll throw money at them to get content you've already paid them for because they have no idea how to handle restoring purchases (or how to have their season pass actually function but that'd have been less of an issue if it didn't also look like I was having to rebuy the pass too).

Goddamn.

I invite you to check out the poo poo show that is their Kickstarter comments- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan/comments

Basically, it was the announcement of a PC version that served as the catalyst for general gaming sites posting about the Kickstarter and people backing the game based on it being playable on their PC. Still no sign on that, and they just posted it's not going to hit until between episodes 3 and 4 on iOS... Despite the fact that there were more backers for the PC reward tier than the iOS reward tier.

Additionally, swag isn't shipping until after episode 5.

It's been fascinating watching all these big Kickstarters try to manage expectations after promising the moon to hit their goals.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Valicious posted:

The turret mini game is terrible: tap to fire, drag to turn.

The rest is fine.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

goferchan posted:

Just so you know it's SO easy to switch regions on an account. On your iPhone/ipad click settings, click on App Store, click on your username, click "change billing information" & change your country to Canada (with a payment method of "None" selected) & that's it. Takes 30 seconds to do, 30 seconds to switch back to US.

Thanks for this.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Ugh
Just bought KotoR and the sound doesn't work on my 4S. What is the deal with making games with obscenely small text these days? I couldn't play Tiny Dice either because of that.
$10 down the drain.
iOS really needs to implement something similar to a ten minute return policy like Google Play.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Valicious posted:

Ugh
Just bought KotoR and the sound doesn't work on my 4S. What is the deal with making games with obscenely small text these days? I couldn't play Tiny Dice either because of that.
$10 down the drain.
iOS really needs to implement something similar to a ten minute return policy like Google Play.

When you get your iTunes receipt click the "Report a problem" link, it's pretty trivial to get a refund.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Valicious posted:

Ugh
$10 down the drain.

Did you REALLY think that a game designed for consoles wouldn't be small as poo poo on your 4S?

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

Did you REALLY think that a game designed for consoles wouldn't be small as poo poo on your 4S?

I've seen lots of other games change the font spacing and layout to make the text size bigger.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
I am loving Kiwanuka (http://appshopper.com/games/kiwanuka). I love the art, reminds me a bit of Monument Valley. One of the posts here says it's like Lemmings, so I was a little worried because I hate Lemmings, but it's not really like it at all. The puzzles can be really tricky for such a simple mechanic (stack people up to use as a bridge).

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Valicious posted:

I've seen lots of other games change the font spacing and layout to make the text size bigger.

An 11 year old game for monitors 400x the size of your phone has text too small?

I'm sorry, muffin.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Zigmidge posted:

An 11 year old game for monitors 400x the size of your phone has text too small?

I'm sorry, muffin.

It's not that weird to complain about it. If the interface is going to be cramped by design then redesign the interface or don't release the game.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I've played KoToR fine on my 4S and iPad with sound after they added cloud saves. Maybe a reset or reinstall will fix it?

Yeah the text size is a bit ridiculous, maybe a bit more effort in making games universal than shrinking everything down in resolution?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Sharzak posted:

It's not that weird to complain about it. If the interface is going to be cramped by design then redesign the interface or don't release the game.

Or don't buy it? Or do 5-10 minutes of research to see if the UI is in line with the Geneva conventions and then don't buy it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Playing on my iPhone 5s was ok but I definitely prefer my iPad 3rd gen for it. I could certainly muddle through on the phone but the controls are smoother on the tablet.

Text size didn't bother me on the 5s but maybe the extra screen size makes a difference?

• Locked thread