Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I see your fast civic and raise you a yugo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

13 INCH DICK posted:

Well it started going limp around about 85 or so and once I crossed the 90 threshhold it had gone full turtle on me

I think we've got a new thread title contender here.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Reminds me of my '84 Skyhawk. The 86 BHP pushrod engine was bad enough on its own, but mine also had an utterly wretched 3 speed auto to boot. It only exceeded the 85 MPH speedo once, on a BIG downhill on the interstate just north of Boston. It was still wheezing :v:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Panty Saluter posted:

Oh poo poo, 13" snapped and drove off a cliff

I hear The Price is Right yodeler music in my head...

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I can only picture something like this happening:

Only with "Someone going 90mph in that is not long for this world" kind of reasoning.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Well, did you see some pretty serious poo poo, or is that a metric speedo? :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Guy I know had a little Suzuki Sierra 1.0L and got pulled over by a cop for doing 145kph in a 110 zone- Got let off cos the cop was convinced his speed gun was faulty cos theres no way a 1.0L Sierra could get over 100kph.

Apparently they will with a BIG hill and a tailwind!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://youtu.be/s6B4hVLBm1g

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
GUYS LOOK WHAT I FOUND

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Pssh http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4416728975.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

13 INCH DICK posted:

GUYS LOOK WHAT I FOUND

You should just strip off every part, everything you can fit into yours. Hell grab the motor too. You never know what you'll need down the line.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Take the whole thing, pull out all the bits for spares for your daily driver, and then use the remaining chassis as a base for some kind of absurdly overpowered car with a v8 dropped in.

Then once that's done mess with teenagers in lovely sports cars by revving your engine at them until they want to race and then absolutely destroying them. :getin:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just spent $200 at pick n pull and I don't give a gently caress :whatup:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

13 INCH DICK posted:

Just spent $200 at pick n pull and I don't give a gently caress :whatup:

So you did take the whole thing then. How'd you get it home? Trailer rental? A bucket?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Slung Blade posted:

So you did take the whole thing then. How'd you get it home? Trailer rental? A bucket?

Pack tarantulas!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Slung Blade posted:

Tucked the car under the bottom tray of my tool box.

Today's haul: NLA 1200 Radiator, gas hatch struts that still work and hold the hatch up, motherfucking DOOR hinges to replace the blown out terrible hinges on my driver's door, 12" rim and tire, instrument console, door panels in mint shape I'm gonna hit with some vynil dye to make them black, corner lights, spare gas cap, working vacuum advance canister for my distributor that actually holds vacuum unlike the one I have that slowly bleeds down, some other odds and ends.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Is that junk car hood cooler looking than your cars hood? Cause that's a boss looking hood.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That's the later style hood, and someone had taken the vent insert trim.

My hood is the earlier flat 1200DX style with no vent scoops and I kinda like it.

In the winter when my car was frosted over, the frost melted around my hood vents first because they're functional :3:

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I like your hood better. I wonder what they would want for the whole car.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

c355n4 posted:

I like your hood better. I wonder what they would want for the whole car.

More horsepower, legroom, you know

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Started dismantling the gauge cluster and it appears the odometer and trip meter work in this one, I spun the little wheely bit around by finger a whole bunch and moved the trip meter from 000.0 to 000.2. The only down side is the gauge face of this one is sun blasted and while mine doesnt work the face is mint. I shudder imagining trying to remove the speedo needle though, don't know what I'll do yet. Gonna pull mine out tomorrow and inspect it, and because I'll have the dash out I'll do the door hinges at the same time.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I know I took apart a DA cluster at one point (90-93 Integra), and was even able to reset the odometer (without the tell-tale silver lines showing up between the numbers). Before anyone flips their poo poo, this was a spare cluster I'd picked up from eBay - I needed basically everything in the cluster except the speedometer. I want to say the speedometer unscrewed from the printed circuit board, which gave me a lot of room to get inside (it was still a cable-driven speedo).

The tl;dr is you probably don't want to pull the needle. The one time I did that on a Honda ended in a very $painful$ trip to the dealer..

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I don't know if this helps at all but when 8ender was restoring his bikes there was a few places selling reproduction decals to go over a damaged or faded gauge face. Might be worth a search to see if something exists for old Hondas.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
On miatas I think they said to use a fork to remove the needle, but aren't they not "keyed" to the shaft?

You could always go to a speedo repair place and ask them to swap faces...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ranger speedos aren't keyed but the way people swap them usually is to hook up a battery to get it to point at a specific speed (doesn't matter what it is, just note it) and then when reinstalling the needle, hook the battery up and aim the needle at that same speed.

Probably won't help much on a mechanical speedo, unless you want to rig up the shaft to something you can spin at a constant, repeatable speed :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
This dash is so easy to pull god drat.

e: 12 minutes to it being loose, if I wanted to pull it all the way out maybe 20 to unhook the HVAC

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 13, 2014

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god how did this get here i am not good with cars

Little bit of rounding out in the top hinge pin.

Ditto with the bottom. The door spring is missing on mine and note the wear on the door stop.

'New' going in.

It's loving hard hanging a door on your own.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
you ain' lived till you've hung 60-70s caddy doors.

protip: lots of rope and a engine hoist.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
pfff, Wranglers don't need doors and neither does your Civic. Pull 'em off and bolt a set of these on so the popo stay happy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Parts Kit posted:

pfff, Wranglers don't need doors and neither does your Civic. Pull 'em off and bolt a set of these on so the popo stay happy.

Pretty sure cars are required to have their doors if they're not easily removable by design like the Wrangler's are.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Fucknag posted:

Pretty sure cars are required to have their doors if they're not easily removable by design like the Wrangler's are.

Yeah, it varies, but lots of codes expect the door opening to have a sill so your feet don't come out and some form of factory design for doorless operation. I've seen Cherokees driving around without doors and I cringe a bit at the thought of what happens if they roll (they usually have a decent lift and larger tires).

I can't think of any vehicles other than Jeep predecessors, CJs, Wranglers, and postal trucks that actually qualify.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Fucknag posted:

He removed them, ergo they are easily removable. :horse:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I have a working odometer and trip meter! The guts of the 2 units were actually completely different and incompatible so even though I got the needles off okay, I still wound up having to use the faded display plate because the screw holes were ever so slightly differently spaced and wouldn't work. I did however notice the old gauges had a glass face and the new gauges had plastic so I swapped the glass into the rubber gasket for the plastic and I'll just hang onto the other guts and tinker to see if I can get it working.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

EightBit posted:

I can't think of any vehicles other than Jeep predecessors, CJs, Wranglers, and postal trucks that actually qualify.

Old Land Cruisers for one. For early Broncos and Scouts there were popular fiberglass door inserts to make a sill for driving around doorless.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Eagerly awaiting the "70s Civic, only 26k original miles" post on Craigslist. :f5:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

EightBit posted:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Trevor Corey, smokes.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Drove to work and the odometer and trip meter both appear to be reading accurately, using google maps information about known distances from my house to work and it's within 1/10th of a mile. Might be able to actually get some MPG information now, although I just have this feeling like I'm getting half what I should be.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Made vapor barriers and installed the door cards just to feel like I have an interior, these will look treat once I hit them with some Vinyl dye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

13 INCH DICK posted:

It's loving hard hanging a door on your own.

I could've helped you out if you'd come down. Let me know next time.

And then you could've returned the favor by helping me swap my doors and trunk.

• Locked thread