Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
The Trials forums have a bunch of that kind of stuff. That's where I learned the workarounds for my particular performance issues but, as magimix's experience shows, they may not work for you. I've seen a bunch of posts that say "keep letting us know about issues," so they at least seem to want to support the game.

As is usual with this sort of stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if they can't and/or won't disclose exactly what's been fixed/not fixed/whatever until they're certain as to what will actually BE fixed/not fixed/whatever in a patch. Promising a bunch of fixes which don't end up happening, or promising a hard date for a patch that may or may not actually be possible to meet would probably cause more harm than good as far as reputation goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
If their response to the issues around Evo is anything to go by, they will not spare a single gently caress to fix the performance of Fusion. Luckily the Fusion port isn't as dreadful as the Evo one was on launch.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Even a general "Here's when we're planning on adding in user-created supercross/give you more options in track central" message would go a long way.

The game has been out for a month now and there's still no "RedLynx picks" or the option to choose how to view the track list.

May I never bitch about GTA V's launch ever again.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

GTA V Online still doesn't have heists, and Rockstar goes out of their way to remove fun with just about every patch. You can spend $100 from your irl credit card for video game money, though!

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Yeah, I wasn't trying to handwave that or anything. Hell, I never knew those little notification things were such a hassle for games to deal with. Just suggesting what worked for me, since I was having the same issue (seemingly random performance drops/stabilizations for non-fixed periods of time). As I edited into my previous post, this got the game running at a solid 60FPS on my old rear end i5-750/GTX-670 based system at 1080p with the default "high" settings, fullscreen. I do have to turn it down a bit while streaming because encoding/sending the data eats up enough CPU to cause stuttering. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem like it'll help your issue.

In handsight, my post was way, way pissy (I blame old age). Sorry about that. There was good information in your post, and hopefully it'll benefit others at the least. Sometimes I stick with it to see whether or not I can race effectively in slo-mo. Short version: No I can't. It is curiously challenging :haw:

I'm in a wierd place with Trials at the moment. Since I've sacrificed two DS4s to this game, I'm somewhat nervy about using my third for Trials until I at least get the other two RMA'd. I spent some time instead mucking around, seeing how playable I'd find things if I used face-buttons for gas instead of the trigger.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
HAHAAaaa! Getting 'digital-gas' plats now. Suck it, fragile triggers :colbert: But can I improve on my currently-poor Extreme PBs without recourse to the right-trigger? :ohdear:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

magimix posted:

HAHAAaaa! Getting 'digital-gas' plats now. Suck it, fragile triggers :colbert: But can I improve on my currently-poor Extreme PBs without recourse to the right-trigger? :ohdear:
I've been using digital gas since Trials HD destroyed my right hand years ago :v:

Pretty much anything but the slow long hill climbs can be done with the button (rapid tapping only works so much for so long). If you're good enough with bike control to keep momentum up then it reduces the need further. I've played a lot of the previous games with an arcade stick too (rider movement is digital isn't it?) but pretty sure most of my best times have been with a controller with analog mixed in here and there.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

japtor posted:

I've been using digital gas since Trials HD destroyed my right hand years ago :v:

Pretty much anything but the slow long hill climbs can be done with the button (rapid tapping only works so much for so long). If you're good enough with bike control to keep momentum up then it reduces the need further. I've played a lot of the previous games with an arcade stick too (rider movement is digital isn't it?) but pretty sure most of my best times have been with a controller with analog mixed in here and there.

My feathering props aren't so bad with buttons in any case, so I'm adapting quite well. Got my first Extreme plat earlier (yes, it was for the easy one :argh:), and spent some time racing some great Rabbit-only custom tracks (nearly 9000 tracks on PS4 TC - and they aren't *all* "impossible stairs" or "don't move" ones! :haw:). It is coming together, but there is still work to be done.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Do the previous games have the same Portal-style 'post apocalyptic robots put innocent people through insane tracks' stuff in the background as this one does? The dialogue's absolutely brilliant (at least the first time you hear it).

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Steve2911 posted:

Do the previous games have the same Portal-style 'post apocalyptic robots put innocent people through insane tracks' stuff in the background as this one does? The dialogue's absolutely brilliant (at least the first time you hear it).
No, this game's the first one with any kind of story as far as I remember. I didn't really play HD, but Evo was definitely just "crazy motorcyclists do loving awesome things on highly improbable and incredibly deadly stunt tracks."

Edit: tehsid, I finally tried your track out! I like it, though I only ran through it once. I'll try to go back and set a solid time on it soon. That starting backflip to bunnyhop is pretty cool, actually.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 13, 2014

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Steve2911 posted:

All the reviews I read said it was dreadful so I turned it off before starting the game :shrug:

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

David Pratt posted:

All the reviews I read said it was dreadful so I turned it off before starting the game :shrug:

I had it on for a bit, then decided I didn't really want to hear the voices over and over again with every inevitable retry, so switched it off. I haven't really missed it, I've never felt like previous trials games have been missing anything by not having a story.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Maw posted:

I had it on for a bit, then decided I didn't really want to hear the voices over and over again with every inevitable retry, so switched it off. I haven't really missed it, I've never felt like previous trials games have been missing anything by not having a story.

Yeah, I had that stuff on while initially grinding out track access, but then turned it off along with the music. Unless you coast over a track in fairly sedate manner, you'll not have much opportunity to pay attention to that stuff in any case. It was never going to work well in a game where you might be insta-restarting every few seconds while grinding medals.

Still, that they made it an audio-only thing means it doesn't disrupt the flow of the game, and that you can turn it off means it won't drive you spare. All things considered, it could have been a whole lot worse!

Still, for me it is broadly indicative of why, for all that I like Fusion, it doesn't wow me like Evo did. What little that is new isn't core to the experience, nor especially worthwhile on its own merits. FMX is kind of a bust, and the ATV really is the 'anti-Trials' to far as enjoyable and versatile racing goes. Then there are the various regressions from Evo to Fusion; features not there at launch, design changes (to Track Central for example) that have made things worse, and little details that I miss (for example, you cannot set rivals in Fusion).

There is scope for refinement over time, and we all know about the DLC plans, but until we *see* that stuff, we can't take it for granted that there will be a decent balance of challening tracks therein. I've a very real concern that much of the DLC will be new FMX tracks or ATV tracks, will introduce new vehicles that are kind of pointless, or Trials tracks that too much fall into the Beginner, Easy, and Medium tiers.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I know I've been incredibly negative about Fusion so far, but I do have some hope that the DLC can turn things around.

The two Trials Evolution DLC packs contained some of my favourite Trials levels ever, and the difficulty curve was pretty much bang on. They're tougher than the main game, (so the toughest medium courses definitely edge into Hard etc) but not ludicrously so.

Plus, they introduced the BMX bike.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I really wish the evo dlc would have come to pc.

Heck, I'd buy it again if they released trials evo gold on ps3.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Maw posted:

Yeah, pretty much the same. I left them on long enough to fault my way through most of the tracks and hear the clips, then turned them off after that; haven't looked back. It reminds me of 343's brilliant decision to give a canon reason for "why do blue spacemans shoot at red spacemans?" in Halo 4's multiplayer. The answer: Nobody gives a gently caress.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

FYI it appears on the PC version that they patched the announcers voices. Now they will play one time, get interrupted if you die, and won't play again unless you restart the entire level.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

FateFree posted:

FYI it appears on the PC version that they patched the announcers voices. Now they will play one time, get interrupted if you die, and won't play again unless you restart the entire level.

They are most annoying due to restarting. When your setting times that's every time I screw it up.

Switched them off ages ago, do they actually say anything of importance? Im assuming there will be some long easter egg that will take years to find.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

FateFree posted:

Yeah, most of the time I'm restarting the entire level anyway so that hardly helps. I don't really mind them though.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Bigsteve posted:

They are most annoying due to restarting. When your setting times that's every time I screw it up.

Switched them off ages ago, do they actually say anything of importance? Im assuming there will be some long easter egg that will take years to find.
Usually if George mentions something about reporting sightings of Big Nuts the Squirrel, there's a hidden squirrel on the level somewhere.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just bought this on a whim and then realized I've never played a Trials game. On a scale of 1 to 10 how much will I regret this purchase?

Hopefully the learning curve is decent.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Thumbtacks posted:

I just bought this on a whim and then realized I've never played a Trials game. On a scale of 1 to 10 how much will I regret this purchase?

1, maybe 2 if you're the kind of person who throws controllers when you get frustrated.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Thumbtacks posted:

You'll figure out the basics of the game really fast; it can be boiled down to throttle, brake and lean, but the nuances of how the three mechanics interact with each other and the track/bike are their own learning curve. Watch some replays to see how others that are faster than you beat the tracks for some ideas.

edit: be sure to add yourself to the PC list in the OP if you play on PC, and friend everybody on there through uplay, there's some really skilled goons on all three consoles

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
I feel like the 'digital gas' thing is starting to come together. After a bumpy period of getting used to things, I've started get plats again, and have improved some PBs on the extreme tracks. Next thing you know, I'll be abandoning the left-stick too! :haw:

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Finally defeated Inferno IV! feels good man

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

magimix posted:

I feel like the 'digital gas' thing is starting to come together. After a bumpy period of getting used to things, I've started get plats again, and have improved some PBs on the extreme tracks. Next thing you know, I'll be abandoning the left-stick too! :haw:
I'd probably have done that by now if the 360's dpad didn't suck so much :v:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

japtor posted:

I'd probably have done that by now if the 360's dpad didn't suck so much :v:

Hey now, the 'transforming DPAD' on the silver controller isn't so bad :colbert: But joshing aside, the DS4 does have a real nice DPAD. Last time a played PC TF, I was somewhat dismayed to see that my props with the 360 controller are starting to weaken. It is finally happening! If I play PC TF again, I'll most likely use my DS4.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Looking more and more forward to the day when x bone controller will work on PC because of the dpad patent by Nintendo finally running out so gamers can use functional non-lovely dpads for once outside of Nintendo's realm.

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 16, 2014

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Here's another track I've made for PS4, go play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vF9ejz7iQA

Title is Frosty Failure, author is Piratenippie (i, not an L).

I put a lot of work into the visual flair for this one, I really like the look of that Frost Bite extreme track and mimicked it.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Frosty Failure indeed. Regardless of doing very badly, I enjoyed it a lot. Very good work.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Looking at the replay I got to the last obstacle with 16 faults at 5 minutes :negative: (and 7 of those were on the second obstacle :doh:)

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

PirateNipple posted:

I put a lot of work into the visual flair for this one, I really like the look of that Frost Bite extreme track and mimicked it.

Looks cool, hopping on to try it out now. :)

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

PirateNipple posted:

That is a real nice track! :thumbsup: I really like the variety of obstacles you have, and you have some 'variations' that I don't commonly see much, so it feels pretty fresh too.

Edit: I'm below the plat-time now; if I can just get rid of these drat faults :argh:

Edit: You win this time, "Frosty Failure", but I'll be back... :stare:

Edit: Bits of it remind me of of a wintery 'Out of the Pit'; shades of inspiration from Trials Evo perhaps?

Edit: I've said it before, but gently caress it; I'm bowled over by the quality of so many TC tracks, and so soon after Fusion's release.

magimix fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 16, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

PirateNipple posted:

I can't play it, because I'm on the PC version (why can't it be universal? so stupid, gamers just want to play games with other gamers, game companies, play nice) but it looks like one I'd never finish due to the uphill bunny-hop followed by another uphill hop (at 1:07).

What I'm saying is your replay of your track looks like it was a well-made track!

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 17, 2014

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Thanks for playing it everyone

magimix posted:

Edit: Bits of it remind me of of a wintery 'Out of the Pit'; shades of inspiration from Trials Evo perhaps?

That's one of my favorites for sure, I like hill-climby type tracks a lot

mr. nobody posted:

I can't play it, because I'm on the PC version (why can't it be universal? so stupid, gamers just want to play games with other gamers, game companies, play nice) but it looks like one I'd never finish due to the uphill bunny-hop followed by another uphill hop (at 1:07).

What I'm saying is your replay of your track looks like it was a well-made track!

It's dumb because they have 4 platforms' worth of track central now, sounds like XBone is the most popular platform followed by PS4, 360, and then PC. They're supposed to be taking the best from each platform and featuring them on the track central menu, at least I think that's what the 5 or 6 that are featured are.

PirateNipple fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 17, 2014

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I wish I had an xbone just so I could play this game. My PC is dogshit and I got burned on the last Trials game that came to the PC because of how absolutely awful it ran. Don't really want it on the 360 either, because all my friends would be on the xbone.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PirateNipple posted:

That's one of my favorites for sure, I like hill-climby type tracks a lot
Oh god Out of the Pit destroyed me for so long cause I suck at hill climbs. I only 0 faulted it a few months ago (...I think I did it at least) when I got back to playing Evo for a while. I very much have a love-hate relationship with them. It's fun going higher and higher with all the little technical bits (which you seem to have captured the essence of quite nicely from the video), but goddamn I have a ridiculous amount of trouble with them.

quote:

It's dumb because they have 4 platforms' worth of track central now, sounds like XBone is the most popular platform followed by PS4, 360, and then PC. They're supposed to be taking the best from each platform and featuring them on the track central menu, at least I think that's what the 5 or 6 that are featured are.
Oh neat, I haven't even checked that stuff out yet at all.

Good Dog posted:

I wish I had an xbone just so I could play this game. My PC is dogshit and I got burned on the last Trials game that came to the PC because of how absolutely awful it ran. Don't really want it on the 360 either, because all my friends would be on the xbone.
Screw them, you have Trials specific friends on 360 right here :colbert:

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Good Dog posted:

Fusion (except for the garage menu slowness which isn't a big deal really, just annoying since except when changing bike/clothes you don't need the models to load text is fine) runs really well on PC, certainly better than the terrible port that Evo was. Too bad no demo currently so you can't test it before buying.

There is also no skill range left out of the PC Uplay friends list, plenty of goon times to challenge.

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 17, 2014

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Yeah, the garage and bike-selection stuff is so wierd. Its takes so freaking long to load! Why? Why does it take so long?! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
While I think that the ATV as an addition is bunk, and that FMX is disappointing (though could be refined), the track challenges are definitely an addition to the game that is pretty much all good (even the tricks work well within this framework). A nice mix of technical challenges, minor puzzles, and flat-out wierd loving poo poo. One or two in particular seem finicky to the point of being busted (for example, Pyromaniac :argh:), but for the most part I've had great fun grinding out 50+ of the drat thing things today :stare:

• Locked thread