Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Maxwell Lord posted:

This happens a lot in animation, because re-using models is economical. That's why The Simpsons has so many recurring characters.

My man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Alan Smithee posted:

Adult Swim doesn't typically leave their shows up on their site right? How long are they gonna keep R&S streamable?

They've been running a commercial pretty heavily about how they have everything up for streaming for good now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RICK&SMORTY ONE SUNDRED SHEARS, RICK&SMORTY.SCOM RICK AND SMORTY

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

RICK&SMORTY ONE SUNDRED SHEARS, RICK&SMORTY.SCOM RICK AND SMORTY

Fascinating, it's a universe where all nouns begin with S!

E: Actually, that got old pretty quick.

Dr. Witherbone fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 14, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Goddamnit I got Dark Souls on the mind

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

...Maybe Roiland and Harmon each rein each other in in complementary ways...
It's because of the way that the Genius Waves interact with the... Roiland Waves.

Kirbychwan
Mar 19, 2009

Nuclear fusion causes confusion!
Finally got around to watching Rick and Morty, wasn't sure what to expect.

But drat, it is amazing stuff. Watched all the episodes in one go.
I really love the occasional stumbling delivery on the lines and the sci-fi concepts in general.
Pretty psyched to see future episodes.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Alan Smithee posted:

Goddamnit I got Dark Souls on the mind

Rickstein & Smoughrty?

Someone please draw this.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Does anyone know where I can find that early commercial where Morty turns around and he's not complete? I've been looking for it but haven't had any luck finding it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Cerony posted:

Does anyone know where I can find that early commercial where Morty turns around and he's not complete? I've been looking for it but haven't had any luck finding it.

Here you go.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Oh my God, that was amazing!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I love the bit at the end where morty starts saying "This is just a big cromo prommercial" in his flustered state

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQYVI5Ugz44

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

MrAristocrates posted:

You're a fool if you thought this wouldn't happen anyway. I'm betting people start turning on this show before the second season premiere is finished.

they will, yeah.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

drat, even the commercials are amazing.

That was pretty entertaining. Is this show worth watching?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Very much so. Great themes, and characters. It's like the Simpsons, but with more supernatural stuff. Lil bit of Zim in there too.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Mr. Meeseeks, can you fix my avatar?

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 15, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Frungy! posted:

That was pretty entertaining. Is this show worth watching?

re: Gravity Falls - Yes. It's a really great show. It's certainly a little more on the 'kid friendly' side of things, but it's still very clever, funny and unique.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Canned Panda posted:

Awesome.

He's gonna start gettin antsy after a couple of days though.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
My cousin showed me the pilot of this a few weeks ago. Found it funny, but the pacing of the dialogue a bit annoying (too much burping and rambling). Decided to watch the second episode a few days ago out of boredom and was hooked. Cue over the next few days watching the rest of the series, House of Cosbys, and obsessively reading all 71.5 pages of this thread.

I love that this show can take you to both dark and ridiculous places, then do something heartwarming shortly after. The dark being the King Jellybean incident, while the ridiculous being Rixty Minutes. I can't believe a cartoon can evoke such strong emotions from me, but it does. I felt so bad for Morty after his run-in with King Jellybean*, but also happy that he defended himself and that Rick protected his grandson. Conversely, all the insanity of Rixty Minutes culminated with the moving reunion of Jerry and Beth. Also, the family vacation to hamsters-that-live-in-butts land was so :3:, and it gave you some comfort that, ultimately, they really are a happy family.

The show does a great job making you like and care about every character, even when they can all be assholes at times. I wasn't really expecting the whole family to get much screentime, but I'm glad they did. So far only Beth's really lacked much storytime, but she's still a great character and will hopefully get some spotlight in S2.

Now that I'm caught up, my life feels empty. :(

*I must say the Jellybean arc was extremely well done and moved me emotionally more than any other show has on the subject of rape.

Dr. Witherbone posted:

Fascinating, it's a universe where all nouns begin with S!

E: Actually, that got old pretty quick.

72 pages and nobody mentioned one of my favorite jokes until now. Guess people aren't big fans of Shmloo's the Shmloss. It never gets old for me - I would kill for a whole episode to be in that dimension.

Are the Rick and Morty of that dimension Shmlick and Shmlorty?

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Canned Panda posted:

Wow! Thanks Mr. Meeseeks!

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
For me the core of the show takes place during "Rixty Minutes" with Morty's confession to Summer.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

johntfs posted:

For me the core of the show takes place during "Rixty Minutes" with Morty's confession to Summer.

Rixty Minutes is probably my favourite episode in the series. It has the best serious moments AND some of the best comedic ones.

Personally I really loved those commercials. The Two Brothers advert guy cracking up as he finishes was perfect, and the real fake doors advert was a stroke of genius. In fact pretty much every second of inter-dimensional TV was hilarious.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

PootieTang posted:

Personally I really loved those commercials. The Two Brothers advert guy cracking up as he finishes was perfect, and the real fake doors advert was a stroke of genius. In fact pretty much every second of inter-dimensional TV was hilarious.

Cracking up at the end of Two Brothers was great, but "Bwooooo, this is the sound I make when I'm trying to run fast!" from Babylegs has made me laugh harder and more consistently than anything else on the show.

Also I love how Roiland/Harmond's cynical attitude towards the police shines in that episode, with "Guilty! Sentenced to murder." and "Good luck you two, there's a criminal to kill"

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

PootieTang posted:

The Two Brothers advert guy cracking up as he finishes was perfect

The trailer itself ran a bit long for me, but it's all worth it when he cracks up at the end. In addition to his laughter being infectious, there's something very endearing about it. Probably in how it shows that they're really have fun doing what they do.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Cracking up at the end of Two Brothers was great, but "Bwooooo, this is the sound I make when I'm trying to run fast!" from Babylegs has made me laugh harder and more consistently than anything else on the show.

"Ahhh gently caress, I'm the killer. I'm runnin', I'm runnin' real quick."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Really broad and vague question, but do you blu ray buyers even find it worthwhile to get animated shows on BR? Do they even offer more extras than dvd?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drifter posted:

re: Gravity Falls - Yes. It's a really great show. It's certainly a little more on the 'kid friendly' side of things, but it's still very clever, funny and unique.

Permission associate co-granted!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Alan Smithee posted:

Really broad and vague question, but do you blu ray buyers even find it worthwhile to get animated shows on BR? Do they even offer more extras than dvd?

It's usually worth it anyway so long as the show was animated in HD unless it's lacking in details and such. Upscaling really does go a long way with a lot of shows, but you can probably see the difference on youtube with a show if you have it at full-screen and switch between 480p and 1080p.

The main reason for BR though? You don't have to deal with a dozen loving discs (or more realistically 2~3), usually whole seasons are on a single disc with the commentaries and extra poo poo included.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Buzkashi posted:

I don't know why, but this line made me laugh harder than almost anything in the whole series.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Brightman posted:

The main reason for BR though? You don't have to deal with a dozen loving discs (or more realistically 2~3), usually whole seasons are on a single disc with the commentaries and extra poo poo included.

Is it still :filez: if you buy it besides? Because throwing a bunch of eps into VLC random play is one of life's simple pleasures.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

mclast posted:

Is it still :filez: if you buy it besides? Because throwing a bunch of eps into VLC random play is one of life's simple pleasures.

This might be total made up nonsense I heard on the internet, but I do remember something saying that when you buy DVDs and stuff, you're not actually buying the disc or the content, but rather you're buying the right to view that content.

So theoretically it wouldn't be :filez: if you bought them anyway, and even if what I've said is total bullshit who gives a gently caress if you bought it anyway, it's the same thing as just ripping the files from the BR yourself right?

And something I only just noticed re-watching, alternate reality Game of Thrones where everyone is a dwarf but Tyrion.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

PootieTang posted:

This might be total made up nonsense I heard on the internet, but I do remember something saying that when you buy DVDs and stuff, you're not actually buying the disc or the content, but rather you're buying the right to view that content.

So theoretically it wouldn't be :filez: if you bought them anyway, and even if what I've said is total bullshit who gives a gently caress if you bought it anyway, it's the same thing as just ripping the files from the BR yourself right?

And something I only just noticed re-watching, alternate reality Game of Thrones where everyone is a dwarf but Tyrion.

I have no idea what current laws actually saw, but when MP3 players came out, there was no way to buy just MP3s yet. The idea was that it is legal to copy poo poo you own into whatever format you want for your own use. Media companies fought this a lot in the last decade and I have no idea where it landed because I don't care.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
:filez: because Australian.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Yarbald posted:

I don't know why, but this line made me laugh harder than almost anything in the whole series.

Same here. I think it was partially because the voice was less disguised and more obviously the same guy who was doing all the other voices.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am a firm believer that animation, just like video, looks better as the resolution goes up. You can definitely tell the difference between SD/DVD animation and 1080P/BD animation. Its worth it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

mclast posted:

Well I was talking about BR vs DVD, but as everyone else has said, that should be fine.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Buzkashi posted:

This loving line. Made me crack up so hard for some reason.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

this will be me next week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Typical posted:

this will be me next week!

Is that you? Or a young Rick Sanchez??

• Locked thread