Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
That level seemed so much better than the earlier ones! Despite not being experienced at FPS games, they seem to have a full grip on how to do good old fashioned corridor shooting. If only they had concentrated on that, rather than including all those bullshit sniper sections earlier in the game.

I laughed at the Guinan asteroid belt in the Delta Quadrant, which is linked to the wormhole activity in the Delta Quadrant... how many Star Trek references are you going to throw at us at once?!

Once again, your music got me super pumped. I'm tempted to take a page out of your book for one of my future LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

your evil twin posted:

That level seemed so much better than the earlier ones! Despite not being experienced at FPS games, they seem to have a full grip on how to do good old fashioned corridor shooting. If only they had concentrated on that, rather than including all those bullshit sniper sections earlier in the game.

I laughed at the Guinan asteroid belt in the Delta Quadrant, which is linked to the wormhole activity in the Delta Quadrant... how many Star Trek references are you going to throw at us at once?!

Once again, your music got me super pumped. I'm tempted to take a page out of your book for one of my future LPs.
This level is seriously a strong contender for being the best in the game. The first part doesn't really give that impression, but the next video will show why I enjoy it so much.

Also, thanks for spotting that reference as it flew completely past me! Guinan seemed familiar, but I couldn't place it. Never really enjoyed Star Trek that much myself.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Chapter 7 - Genetics Lab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBWLgpiVp_Q
While making his way through the main laboratory, Mace discovers something...

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
Well now I am hyped as gently caress for the next Perturbator album. That'll learn me to not have Soundcloud notifications on.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

That was very cool. Of course, the whole "lab with monsters in tubes" thing has been done a ton of times... but Mace Griffin did it well. The morgue where you open each individual drawer was a nice interactive touch. Loads of nifty sciency things all over the place. Really dig those molecule holograms, I want one in my home. The way that monster moved when you got close to the tube was great!

While many of the security cameras were pointless, they did make sense - those scientists would to keep an eye on all those tubs. From the safety of other rooms.

I'm guessing they are creating hybrids of several species, to try and create something that has best attributes of each? Because SCIENCE!

The tricky jump into a vent with a fan was a bit of a dick move, especially since there hadn't been a checkpoint for a while so if you messed it up you would have needed to spend a minute running back up there again to retry it again.

Also you've now got me listening to Perturbator. I've half way through the TERROR 404 album.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Genetics lab full of freaks inside an exploding asteroid?

This game has been pretty good for at least presenting neat ideas for space adventure.

Diogenes Bub
Jun 21, 2013
When I first saw the thing in the test tube I thought, "My god, they're breeding Metroids! Will those Space Pirates never learn?!" :argh:
But when you got closer it turned out to be something... much more... yeah :stare:
Glad the plot starting to get interesting though.

Great music choice when the poo poo started to go all Dead Space.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Kiavahr posted:

Well now I am hyped as gently caress for the next Perturbator album. That'll learn me to not have Soundcloud notifications on.
Same. I Am The Night and TERROR 404 had some pretty sick tracks on it.

your evil twin posted:

That was very cool. Of course, the whole "lab with monsters in tubes" thing has been done a ton of times... but Mace Griffin did it well. The morgue where you open each individual drawer was a nice interactive touch. Loads of nifty sciency things all over the place. Really dig those molecule holograms, I want one in my home. The way that monster moved when you got close to the tube was great!

While many of the security cameras were pointless, they did make sense - those scientists would to keep an eye on all those tubs. From the safety of other rooms.

I'm guessing they are creating hybrids of several species, to try and create something that has best attributes of each? Because SCIENCE!

The tricky jump into a vent with a fan was a bit of a dick move, especially since there hadn't been a checkpoint for a while so if you messed it up you would have needed to spend a minute running back up there again to retry it again.

Also you've now got me listening to Perturbator. I've half way through the TERROR 404 album.
I liked that they kept it classic, you know? Weird monsters that jump at you, while the level goes dark and everybody fights. It's simple but effective. And really, a proper space-game needs a freaky monster infestation. It's just not right otherwise. I kinda wish that they had gone the same route with the spiders. Like having you explore a derelict ship that turns out to be infested with the drat things. And possibly with a large spider queen in the center. I would have loved that! I actually like the basic idea behind the spiders, but the game doesn't really make good use of them. They're just a nuisance.

I also liked the details/environment in this level. As said before, they really did a good job at giving you a diverse setting for every mission. And really, there is not very much repetition aside from the standart bandit guys.

The exact reasons behind the SCIENCE will become clearer in the future. The senator will actually decrypt the data and tell us about it. I tried giving a few wrong hints, but I think it's not too hard to figure out what went into the creation of the creatures. Aside from the Valleakan faces, the large and hairy creatures clearly had Jaldari in them. However, we don't really know if there actually were human parts in them. Mabye in the babies because they only had two legs? Hard to say. And the tentacles/spider legs are :tinfoil:

And yeah, that jump was bullshit. Like, your normal jump velocity will always carry you to the ledge above the hole, and you can't just drop down into it. So you have to figure out that you have to make your jump early, instead of being close to the edge of the platform. I walked back and forth so much on my practice run :(

Glazius posted:

Genetics lab full of freaks inside an exploding asteroid?

This game has been pretty good for at least presenting neat ideas for space adventure.
That is really the fundamental problem of the game. So many nice ideas that somehow failed during their execution :shrug:

Diogenes Bub posted:

When I first saw the thing in the test tube I thought, "My god, they're breeding Metroids! Will those Space Pirates never learn?!" :argh:
But when you got closer it turned out to be something... much more... yeah :stare:
Glad the plot starting to get interesting though.

Great music choice when the poo poo started to go all Dead Space.
Haha, yeah, I also thought about metroids when I saw the first tube. It's probably because of the dangling legs/tentacles.

And yes, the game will get more interesting now that we're in the last stretch. The next mission will move us away from the plot again though. However, we'll meet an old firend of Mace and get to see a new setting, so it's not a bad level. It's kinda weird how they spaced the important story bits though. It's hard to keep up with the bits and stay interested in what's going on, when you have so many missions that don't really play into it.

Speaking off the plot, I deliberately kept the description of the new gun brief and underwhelming. Because really, when you pick it up and use it, you'll be dissapointed that your new laser rifle is just a crappy tazer-beam. It will become crucial in the end of the game, but I can't say why without spoiling the twist :ssh:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Diogenes Bub posted:

I think that would have been preferable to the Flood-style things that they ended up being.

So Tim, is that comparison good, is this the "Meet the Flood" moment of Mace Griffin where you'll be facing off against the aliens you've been fighting and now these things all the time? For whatever reason that sort of change over has been popular for years now. I can think of a few games off the top of my head (Red Faction 2, Gears of War 2, Warhammer 40k Space Marine, Far Cry, Crysis) where you fight the same kind of things for half to most of the game and then they just throw some new monster or mutated enemy type at you that changes the pace of the game and can sometimes ruin it instead of mixing it up like the developers intended.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Well, that was alarming. :stare: I mean, I knew that we were probably going to run into freakish creations in the lab, but those things are still pretty creepy. I do like though that they built up slowly to the actual confrontation with them rather than throwing you in there immediately.

I'm not sure if anyone would agree with me, but I also appreciate that the level designers at least tried to give the lab a logical lay-out (even if some of the jumps were blatantly bullshit :argh:).

Lazyfire posted:

I think that would have been preferable to the Flood-style things that they ended up being.

So Tim, is that comparison good, is this the "Meet the Flood" moment of Mace Griffin where you'll be facing off against the aliens you've been fighting and now these things all the time? For whatever reason that sort of change over has been popular for years now. I can think of a few games off the top of my head (Red Faction 2, Gears of War 2, Warhammer 40k Space Marine, Far Cry, Crysis) where you fight the same kind of things for half to most of the game and then they just throw some new monster or mutated enemy type at you that changes the pace of the game and can sometimes ruin it instead of mixing it up like the developers intended.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. In my opinion these things can be really hit and miss, especially since they sometimes abandon the "old" enemies wholesale rather than having them continue to pop up at least occasionally as a change of pace.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Nah, the freaks will not become our new enemy.

If that would have been the twist, I would have said that it's dumb. Their creation, or rather their creator, plays into the story, but it's not too important overall. Thing is, I really can't say too much at this point without spoiling the plot, so just trust me there, okay?. There are four chapters left, and I already said that the next one will take us away from the plot again. Though, at least the person that we meet is important to Mace, and will stick around for a bit. So everything will be explained in the last three chapters. The twist includes a new faction that we haven't seen so far, but it's also not a simple as that. I don't want to make it sound too complicated, or better than it is, but I really can't say more without ruining it.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Soup Inspector posted:

I'm not sure if anyone would agree with me, but I also appreciate that the level designers at least tried to give the lab a logical lay-out (even if some of the jumps were blatantly bullshit :argh:).

Back when I first played Half-Life, Questionable Ethics was one of my favourite chapters. It was awesome discovering that the Black Mesa facility had been experimenting on the aliens before the disaster. The labs had cool unique architecture and textures. But even back then I found the layout of the labs ridiculously unlikely.

The scientists would have to walk through labs full of dangerous creatures to get to other labs full of dangerous creatures. There was an emergency button that opens an exit AND releases a monster. A main corridor with glass tanks of headcrabs, that you had to pass through to get to the stairs leading up to the laser and weapons labs, and there wasn't even a door to seperate upstairs and downstairs. The labs were clearly built to look cool and to play well, but with no consideration on believability.

Gearbox's bio-labs in Opposing Force were a hell of lot more believable, with the labs all being sidedoors off central corridors that would have been 'safe' if they themselves weren't full of marauding creatures or blocked by rubble. And Mace Griffin's labs have nice details like lecture theatres and monitoring rooms where scientists watch banks of cameras.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I love looking at game levels and trying to discern exactly how people would have to react to the place if there weren't a one man army tearing the place at the moment. They almost never make any sense. I was playing Space Marine the other day after buying it on a random sale and you can tell the designers really spent time making the layout of the structures a bit more believable. Other games, like this one, go for making a good level first and then throw in background stuff and assets and make it a lab or a ranch or whatever. It's not really a big deal, but if you notice some really strange layout it can take you a bit out of the game.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Except the layout in this game's labs comes across as pretty plausible. It was Half-Life's labs that I was mocking. (That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Mace Griffin's previous levels had ridiculous layouts, I didn't pay enough attention.)

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
It's something you can see in the Thief series too. The levels in the second game feel like they have a more natural layout than in the first.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Chapter 8 - Rescue Krugo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqqG6575gys
Mace discovers that an old friend of his got himself into a bit of trouble.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Sorry for the delay! I haven't been slacking, but it actually took me a while to practice and record this level. It's surprisingly challenging and has a super tough ending. Well, maybe I slacked a bit too because the sun was shining, but that's beside the point :)

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

'Sonic Cannon'. Sounds like some kind of non-lethal weapon, like those shockwave shotgnus in Minority Report. Wait... it's actually a Quake-style instagib railgun?! Awesome.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The only bad thing I can say about it is that the sound effect is a little whimpy. But then again, it makes gibs forever :allears:

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Honestly, the two of you just need to make a coop-LP of Serious Sam or something, the way this is going.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Lol, I'm actually planning something along those lines :ssh:

It's not exactly what you say, but co-op Serious Sam would rock too.

I'd really like to have Twin and Lazyfire guest before the Lp is done, but currently my schedule is wonky, so I haven't found a good way to make that happen. Hell, I haven't even asked them so far :v:

But if all else fails, I'll try to rope them into the last video or something like that.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Co-Op Serious Sam is the best way to make friends over the internet and I won't hear otherwise :colbert:

I'm really happy you get a ridiculous gibs gun, they're always fantastically hilarious in any game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Tin Tim posted:

I'd really like to have Twin and Lazyfire guest before the Lp is done, but currently my schedule is wonky, so I haven't found a good way to make that happen. Hell, I haven't even asked them so far :v:

It's OK, I'm like two videos behind and would be totally lost at this point. Time to watch the new videos.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
That one really hard jump in the latest video made me wince - I could easily forsee someone smacking into the wall again, and again, and again trying to finally nail it.

By the way, since I don't believe you addressed it in the video - does the Sonic Cannon's secondary fire mode have infinite ammo? The charge bar seemed to suggest so, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you did mention it then never mind I am a gigantic idiot who lacks basic listening skills. :saddowns:

e:

Also when it comes to people who hire out mercs it seems like it's Valleakans all the way down. :v:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Nah, the secondary fire does use up your ammo. However, it's only 10 for charging that thing, while the beam takes 20, so it's easy to miss. And I also didn't point it out.

And yeah, Valleakans are apparently the only race that knows how to make business :v:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Chapter 8 - Rescue Krugo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no7_eG39UKo
Mace heads into the depths of the slave mine, while Connor still blocks most of the security with his hacking skills. Can Mace find Del Krugo before the warden and his goons crack down on him?

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

The 'disco death' is amazing. Especially cause as they stagger around they fire energy beams off in all directions.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Oh no, dude over the headset and actually shot at dudes died :effort:

I love your evasive manoeuvres though :allears:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Tin Tim posted:

Chapter 8 - Rescue Krugo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no7_eG39UKo
Mace heads into the depths of the slave mine, while Connor still blocks most of the security with his hacking skills. Can Mace find Del Krugo before the warden and his goons crack down on him?

Holy poo poo at rocket hallway of death. Those guys just let you blow them to bits even after two other waves got the same treatment.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

your evil twin posted:

The 'disco death' is amazing. Especially cause as they stagger around they fire energy beams off in all directions.
It's so ridiculously over the top :allears:

Croccers posted:

Oh no, dude over the headset and actually shot at dudes died :effort:

I love your evasive manoeuvres though :allears:
Connor was a very well established character that we all will miss greatly. And I definitely didn't have to record some of my commentary again because I forgot his name and called him Collin.

Also, I've mastered the corkscrew technique thanks to this game :v:

Lazyfire posted:

Holy poo poo at rocket hallway of death. Those guys just let you blow them to bits even after two other waves got the same treatment.

:) "Hey John, how is the AI for enemies coming along? The game needs to be done soon."

:shrug: "We spent all our cash and time on textures and weapon models"

:aaa:

E: Also, here's something to celebrate the sun finally coming out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp5LavG3Oys
:feelsgood:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 16, 2014

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Burn, baby, burn.

...but disco will never truly die.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

vilkacis posted:

Burn, baby, burn.

http://gifsound.com/?gif=lpix.org/1686617/discoinferno.gif&v=1wwilCs4Jqg&s=77
Sure could of went with Stayin' Alive or He's The Greatest Dancer but I thought we needed some good ol' Space Disco.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I love those little "pew pew" sound effects. Space disco is the best kind of disco.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

vilkacis posted:

Burn, baby, burn.

Yeeeeesssss :allears:

Also, that song sure is something, Croccers. Lmao

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Strangely "this video is not available in your country". (I live in the UK.) This one works, though. I'm guessing the one that doesn't work is the official music video, which I found a working version of here.

(The other two alternative songs Croccers linked to are fine.)

By the way, the singer of I Lost My Heart To a Starship Trooper, Sarah Brightman, has paid £20 million to actually go into space. In 2015 she'll go on a Russian rocket to the International Space Station. She's done lots of charity stuff in the past, I guess she decided it was time to just go nuts and do something for herself. Her personal fortune is estimated at £30 million, so of course she'll still be living very comfortably afterwards with the remaining £10, but still, she's blowing two thirds of her wealth on it. So... yeah, she really really really wanted to go into space.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I wonder how much glitter she's going to take with her. :allears:

Space Disco was an interesting little sub-genre. Here's a song about some lady loving a robot. The album, Cosmic Curves, is some kind of space disco opera too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTFCwKvlKZo
"He's programmed to receive automatic satisfaction"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTBGh9y3BRI
Listen to those 'SPACE' sound effects. And sax solo? Sure why not.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Croccers posted:

Space Disco was an interesting little sub-genre. Here's a song about some lady loving a robot. The album, Cosmic Curves, is some kind of space disco opera too.

But only receive it. He doesn't look very comfortable!

quote:

:allears:

There is also space metal. (It even says so right on the cover!) The cheese goes to eleven.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

your evil twin posted:

By the way, the singer of I Lost My Heart To a Starship Trooper, Sarah Brightman, has paid £20 million to actually go into space. In 2015 she'll go on a Russian rocket to the International Space Station. She's done lots of charity stuff in the past, I guess she decided it was time to just go nuts and do something for herself. Her personal fortune is estimated at £30 million, so of course she'll still be living very comfortably afterwards with the remaining £10, but still, she's blowing two thirds of her wealth on it. So... yeah, she really really really wanted to go into space.
lol what? Well, I guess if you're really loving rich, you eventually look for ridiculous things to blow your money on. Let's face it, how else are you going to spend that much cash in your lifetime? Might as well buy a ride to space with it :v:

Croccers posted:

God drat, that's one funny combination of lyrics and visuals!

Croccers posted:

I...I wanna go to space in a Disco Spaceship. Sarah Brightman can come along too :v:

vilkacis posted:

There is also space metal. (It even says so right on the cover!) The cheese goes to eleven.
Bwahaha, I can't stop laughing about those lyrics!

I mean lots of metal songs have ridiculous lyrics about battle and whatnot, but that is a new level for me.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

vilkacis posted:

I don't think you understand how happy it makes me that someone else knows this. (my avatar gives this away)

Just curious how much of the game is left? There seems to be a lot of levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Spudd posted:

Just curious how much of the game is left? There seems to be a lot of levels.
Three chapters like I said at the end of the last video :v:

The next chapter will finally kick off the reveal, though the juicy part comes at the end of it. And yeah, this game is too long for its own good.

• Locked thread