Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Just had a month 2 medium ufo tank 13 avalanche shots and still not die. wtf? I have never seen a medium ufo take that many shots before. Do medium UFOs regenerate now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Anonymous Robot posted:

Operation unceasing pipe indeed.

Also, I still cannot get the MEC's punch to work. I can get it to attack cover elements, but it doesn't do any damage to enemies. Even if I'm adjacent to them, and not diagonal, and I can hilight them with the reticle, when I click on them it just makes a "can't do" sound effect.

Edit: Also, what's the point of EXALT guns?

That's really weird and you should consider verifying your game files or something.

It's not on a ramp, right? XCOM's engineers are consistently foiled by those things.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

wolfman101 posted:

Just had a month 2 medium ufo tank 13 avalanche shots and still not die. wtf? I have never seen a medium ufo take that many shots before. Do medium UFOs regenerate now?

There are two types of medium UFO in LW. Raiders have scout-like armor, destroyers have much heavier armor. I don't recall for sure, but it's something like 4-6 stingray hits to take them down.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Edit: Also, what's the point of EXALT guns?

Sometimes countries will ask to buy a bunch from you for stupid prices, and if they get lasers at the right time it can be worth it to use captured laser weapons and save your alloys for plasma. That's about it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Beagle posted:

What weapons would you lovely people like to see added to XCOM, either as entirely new weapons or just flavour choices? I'd love to see something like an AK-104 added as a ballistic rifle alternative deco, for example. What's your favourite gun/launcher/grenade design you think would be cool to have in the game?

I'd love some options for the pistols so they're not just 'Welp I'm out of ammo or want to save ammo and need to do 1-2 damage'. Off the top of my head without thinking too much about the balance issues it might cause, it'd be nice to have a revolver and an akimbo set. The revolver could only have 1 shot before reloading but either do something like +2 damage, or simply ignores DR. Akimbo pistols because hey why the hell not. Don't know if it's possible, but the idea would be to slap the rapid fire perk on them so that you take two (weak) shots. Range dropoff for both would be around shotgun ranges so that you're not sniping aliens from 20 tiles away with a revolver.

Along those same lines, it'd be nice if the snipers could get some kind of HEAT variant of a sniper rifle that either did more damage against robotic enemies or ignored DR, at the cost of doing less damage to organic enemies. Just to give the player more options when it comes to the lategame so that you're not just using the same 2-3 methods of dealing with mechtoids/cyberdisks/sectopods.

bokkibear
Feb 28, 2005

Humour is the essence of a democratic society.
I'd like to see some weapons that reward crafty positioning. Thinking back to games like Space Crusade, I remember that the Heavy Plasma gun could shoot through multiple enemies in a row, which would be an interesting variation on the typical area of effect.

I think a major weakness in the XCOM weapons set is the lack of variation. I looked into writing a mod that would make the rapid fire weapons actually fire multiple shots, which could miss or hit independently. Not only would this give them more damage variation than single shot weapons, but in mods like Long War, it would make enemies with armour much more dangerous (e.g. if your pistol did 3 1-damage hits instead of a 3-damage hit, then an enemy with 1 point of damage reduction would be effectively immune to pistols).

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Pistols should allow overwatch without a penalty to aim, but high range drop off and no benefit from steadying.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I haven't gotten into Long War yet (though it's tempting... How buggy is the EW version anyway?) but I'd definitely like to see some more weapon variety. Perhaps more "light" weapons like the Light Plasma Rifle in vanilla. A PDW and Light Laser Rifle would be nice to see: a +10 Aim bonus but lower overall damage.

Also similar alternatives for shotguns/LMGs/Sniper rifles. A full-auto shotgun with a steeper range penalty but more destructive power (and the ability to chew up cover)? A miniaturized chaingun that offers a higher base crit chance but slightly lower damage? A scout rifle that can be used after moving, but lacks the stopping power of its larger cousin?

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

HundredBears posted:

There are two types of medium UFO in LW. Raiders have scout-like armor, destroyers have much heavier armor. I don't recall for sure, but it's something like 4-6 stingray hits to take them down.

How are you supposed to know what weapons to use when all you can tell is if it is medium or small? Are destroyers only sent on satellite hunts? Is there even time to change weapon loadouts before the UFO bugs out?

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Pistols should allow overwatch without a penalty to aim, but high range drop off and no benefit from steadying.

I don't think you can Steady a pistol anyway. I'm not sure about giving pistols a range drop-off though - they already get punished by damage reduction so you're in real danger of just making them irrelevant.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I haven't gotten into Long War yet (though it's tempting... How buggy is the EW version anyway?) but I'd definitely like to see some more weapon variety. Perhaps more "light" weapons like the Light Plasma Rifle in vanilla. A PDW and Light Laser Rifle would be nice to see: a +10 Aim bonus but lower overall damage.

Also similar alternatives for shotguns/LMGs/Sniper rifles. A full-auto shotgun with a steeper range penalty but more destructive power (and the ability to chew up cover)? A miniaturized chaingun that offers a higher base crit chance but slightly lower damage? A scout rifle that can be used after moving, but lacks the stopping power of its larger cousin?

You'll be happy to know that all the "assault rifle"-class weapons have some sort of carbine equivalent. They trade reduced damage for a 10 point aim bonus and a 3 point mobility bonus. It's good for scouts and people with low move.

There isn't a massively expanded suite of weapons, but there are plenty of items you can build which give your soldiers specific perks like HEAT Ammo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

wolfman101 posted:

How are you supposed to know what weapons to use when all you can tell is if it is medium or small? Are destroyers only sent on satellite hunts? Is there even time to change weapon loadouts before the UFO bugs out?

It takes several days to refit, so if you aren't prepared gently caress off.

Seriously the air game is bullshit.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Zore posted:

Exactly. If it takes three days just to switch the type of missiles you use on your plane, then you need some new loving planes.

If you rush-build a Firestorm, it takes 11 days. It takes 7 days to install a Laser or Phoenix cannon on it. The fighter is pre-existing technology, so I can kinda-sorta understand, but Shen is an rear end in a top hat if he doesn't build the Firestorm with a modular weapons capability.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

It's pretty solid. The main issues at this point are balancing, with the one notable exception of the overseer bugging out in beta 9a to always explode, making it impossible to complete the game. :gonk: there's a quick fix that involves a small edit to a game file with a hex editor floating around, and presumably this will be fixed relatively quickly.

Long war is a hard slog. I'd say you should be well comfortable with classic difficulty before attempting it.

wolfman101 posted:

Only new UFO classes are unidentified. Once you shoot a particular type now, and I think maybe you have to successfully raid the crash site, you will recognize that type in the future. There's also a new research item, once you raid a UFO type you can research "UFO analysis: Raider/scout/etc" and get bonus damage against that type.

Zore posted:

Avalanche/stingray swap only takes 12 hours, but yeah, if you aren't already fitted out properly you won't be able to swap, but that was true in vanilla. You want to have a couple of each on hand. The medium UFO in question was probably a destroyer. Damage is also pretty variable in long wars air game, one of my fighters shot down a scout with a single avalanche, and I don't have any upgrades. It was his first shot too, that pilot was definitely :smug: when he got back to the hangar,

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm glad that the air game is getting changed in Long War but it sounds really really difficult now.

The second episode of Long War Ironman Impossible on Beagle's channel just made it look like a huge pain, it took him four fighters to take down a single small UFO, and he missed the first two.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm glad that the air game is getting changed in Long War but it sounds really really difficult now.

The second episode of Long War Ironman Impossible on Beagle's channel just made it look like a huge pain, it took him four fighters to take down a single small UFO, and he missed the first two.

Planes are relatively cheap and expendable in the early game, as are your rookie pilots. One piece of advice I've seen is that if a plane is damaged and looks like it's going to take more than a few days to repair, transfer it to another country and buy a fresh one for that slot.

Pilots level up like ground troops now, so you may well end up with a few aces later on.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dominic White posted:

Planes are relatively cheap and expendable in the early game, as are your rookie pilots. One piece of advice I've seen is that if a plane is damaged and looks like it's going to take more than a few days to repair, transfer it to another country and buy a fresh one for that slot.

Pilots level up like ground troops now, so you may well end up with a few aces later on.

Yeah, but the bonuses they get from leveling up are matched by enemy upgrading their tech. You don't end up with any permanent bonuses until you get Firestorms, your guys are only keeping up at best before that. Oh and they level up by scoring kills and the enemy gets better at dodging when not killed. A small scout can fairly easily take out all your starting interceptors.

Air war is total bullshit.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
By the way, when you do build Firestorms, it automatically transfers your most experienced pilot into it, so don't worry about losing your best pilots when you upgrade.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

So I used the play the gently caress out of Enemy Unknown and a couple of days ago finally got Enemy Within since it was -50% off at GMG.

Except now every time I try to play I get this problem where every couple of minutes the game crawls to a halt and all I can do is sit there and wait for the lag to go away. This happens without failure on certain intervals. I had no problems playing Enemy Unknown on max settings.

I tried googling the internet and the official forums but no dice. Anyone here have any inkling as to what the gently caress's going on?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Are SHIVs any better in EW, or are they still pretty much a waste of research time and money? Do they offer any advantage over just having another soldier?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Are SHIVs any better in EW, or are they still pretty much a waste of research time and money? Do they offer any advantage over just having another soldier?

Yeah, they get a lot of upgrades. There's one that makes them regenerate 2 hp per turn forever, one that gives them a reaction shot if an enemy moves within 4 tiles, one that increases their movement, one that increases their health and one that gives them suppression. Flying SHIVs can fly longer than regular soldier too and they do more damage with their weapons than anything in the equivalent tier.

They still aren't as good as Colonels, or majors, but Hover and Alloy SHIVs are definitely viable and fun now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
SHIVs are also one of the three or four main things you can use to get past the First Terror Mission hump. They're quite good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They're also quite useful in the early game because their weapon is much more powerful than your basic rifles, which is extremely important against drones which will just absorb most of your rifle bullets. You need heavy weapons in the early game.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Surprise, there's some pretty big changes in the next LW patch.

quote:

NEW FEATURES:
- Before most missions you will receive some general information on the type of map you'll be on. This won't apply on council missions.
- Many new types and classes of weapons will be available, including a line of Marksman rifles (for scouts and snipers), submachineguns, Scatter Blaster and Reflex Cannon (no longer foundry projects but distinct weapons), two new MEC laser weapons, and a new SHIV laser weapon. Also see lines of battle rifles, machine pistols, SAWs, LMGs, the Arc Rifle (with Disabling Shot perk) and a sawed-off shotgun. These will use existing models, but they will be sized differently than other weapons of the same "look."
- A more involved encumbrance system will now be in use. The net effect is that some powerful and large small items will impose larger movement penalties on soldiers, and you can gain mobility by taking no small item at all.
- Added Ready for Anything and Pararescue perks
- Lock N' Load now grants +1 ammo in all cases, and if you take it as a perk ability, using reload as your first action does not end your turn

BALANCING:
- Spaced out early Drone DR upgrades
- Sniper Rifles and Marksman Rifles will have much greater aim falloff at close ranges
- Adjusted several perk trees
- Ignored UFOs raise panic by 2 (just like damaged ones), so there's no reason to game the system by quick-intercepting/retreating UFOs
- Adjusted panic rolling so the chances of catastrophic panic outcomes are lower, but panic remains a problem for longer in the campaign. You will now get some onscreen feedback about your panic rolls.
- HEAT Ammo perk now only applies to your primary weapon.

I don't particularly like the encumbrance system, since it sounds like it's going to just be a penalty most of the time or be annoying to deal with (you know, like basically every encumbrance system in any game). There's no way I'm not taking two items on every soldier, especially at the start of the game, even if it gives a mobility boost. Having my scout or assault run 2-3 spaces more isn't worth not having a grenade, or flashbang, or plating. I'll wait to actually play to see if it makes a significant difference, but that's one of the few LW changes that I haven't really looked forward to.

Also not super excited about UFOs you don't shoot down still giving panic now. The air game is already frustrating enough without making it more punishing. It's not like I'm going to actually try and engage medium UFO's, battleships, and supply/transports now. I'm just going to ignore them because there's literally no chance to take them down before you have a ton of upgrades, so this is just straight up additional panic that I'll have to deal with.

VDay fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 17, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VDay posted:

I don't particularly like the encumbrance system, since it sounds like it's going to just be a penalty most of the time or be annoying to deal with (you know, like basically every encumbrance system in any game). There's no way I'm not taking two items on every soldier, especially at the start of the game, even if it gives a mobility boost. Having my scout or assault run 2-3 spaces more isn't worth not having a grenade, or flashbang, or plating. I'll wait to actually play to see if it makes a significant difference, but that's one of the few LW changes that I haven't really looked forward to.

Also not super excited about UFOs you don't shoot down still giving panic now. The air game is already frustrating enough without making it more punishing. It's not like I'm going to actually try and engage medium UFO's, battleships, and supply/transports now. I'm just going to ignore them because there's literally no chance to take them down before you have a ton of upgrades, so this is just straight up additional panic that I'll have to deal with.

If they're wanting to make the air game more punishing, they can gently caress off.

Garbo
May 30, 2011
Gonna stick to Beta 9 if the major changes in Beta 10 are Encumbrance (which is already dumb and weird), an even more screwy Air Game, and weirdly sized weapons.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

VDay posted:

Possibly not available in Beta 10 but definitely planned is a new Psi ability: Pyrokinesis. Does exactly what you would expect.

I don't think encumbrance is going to be particularly annoying. Just lets you min/max a bit more since each point of movement gives you 2/3 of a tile. I might make a feature request to JL to convert movement to tiles for ease of use.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
My MEC punch is definitely broken, because you guys keep talking about how it gives you three extra squares of movement and it definitely doesn't do that, let alone attack enemies. I wanna use it, it sounds cool :sigh:

Is there a way, in vanilla EW, to bring countries back into the XCOM project? I'm getting close to losing from loss of support.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Whatever change was supposed to affect thin men acid spit didn't seem to hinder them at all. They still spit the entire weapons range and i've never seen them miss.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

My MEC punch is definitely broken, because you guys keep talking about how it gives you three extra squares of movement and it definitely doesn't do that, let alone attack enemies. I wanna use it, it sounds cool :sigh:

It sounds like you've misunderstood. You don't get 3 extra squares when you push the punch button; you just have 3 extra movement all the time while you have the mighty boosh equipped. If you have 1 punch mec and 1 burny mec, the punch mec just moves further all the time, all else being equal.

Here's how you punch:
1) Walk onto one of the four squares orthogonally adjacent to the thin man.
2) Punch thin man into the ocean.

If you're not directly next to the enemy, you can't punch. If the enemy is in flight mode, you often can't punch.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is there a way, in vanilla EW, to bring countries back into the XCOM project? I'm getting close to losing from loss of support.

At the main menu is an option that lets you bring all countries back as often as you want. It's labeled as 'new game'.

:xcom:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Already low on troops, and then this in less than 12 hours. Sigh.

Hopefully I can scrape through that terror mission. The UFO I'll just have to ignore. Hell, it's a large one so probably an abductor trap. Not good, aliens are already getting out of hand with their research. Had 8 meld per canister on a mission. Which is completely useless because I am constantly out of cash so can't quick-build poo poo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Deuce fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 18, 2014

Garbo
May 30, 2011

Deuce posted:

Already low on troops, and then this in less than 12 hours. Sigh.

Hopefully I can scrape through that terror mission. The UFO I'll just have to ignore. Hell, it's a large one so probably an abductor trap. Not good, aliens are already getting out of hand with their research. Had 8 meld per canister on a mission. Which is completely useless because I am constantly out of cash so can't quick-build poo poo.

Yeah quick building seems kind of useless at the moment due to how it increases the costs of everything. What i'm starting to do is ruthlessly sell Meld. It goes for 7 bucks a pop on the Grey Market and all you need is a little bit to save for when a country asks for some.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

VDay posted:

They already did give panic, I think 5 points for a completely ignored UFO (out of 50, as per long war panic changes). This new change is a debuff on alien UFOs, so if you ignore them you aren't penalized more than you are for engaging them and failing to shoot them down.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, it sounds like they're tweaking panic so that it's a slowly rising tide, rather than an unpredictable series of national freakouts. One of the notes for the next beta is a reduced chance of high-panic events.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I'm starting to gain some affection for Flush. Now that it's not an alternative to Rapid Fire, I find myself picking it for my heavies quite often. It's good for finishing off aliens in high cover, but it's also a fantastic dick move if you have an assault with Close Combat nearby.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Well, just got squad wiped on the Zhang mission. Activated three Thin Men on my second move; two more spawned, and from there on they just kept spawning much faster than I could kill them. It didn't help that one of them one-shotted my Scout despite Lightning Reflexes :argh:

e: this is Long War, normal difficulty

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

The Evil Thing posted:

I'm starting to gain some affection for Flush. Now that it's not an alternative to Rapid Fire, I find myself picking it for my heavies quite often. It's good for finishing off aliens in high cover, but it's also a fantastic dick move if you have an assault with Close Combat nearby.

Yeah, when your level up choices are Holo-Targetting, Flush, and Steadfast, suddenly all three of those skills get a lot more useful. I have been getting Holo-Targetting a lot these days, since it combos really well with Suppression, which Gunners will do a lot, and the higher HP enemies have, which makes focus firing a lot more useful than in vanilla. It is almost worthless in vanilla, but in Long War it feels like every hit% chance counts for a lot more.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

John Dough posted:

Well, just got squad wiped on the Zhang mission. Activated three Thin Men on my second move; two more spawned, and from there on they just kept spawning much faster than I could kill them. It didn't help that one of them one-shotted my Scout despite Lightning Reflexes :argh:

e: this is Long War, normal difficulty

Yeah, the pre-spawned aliens on scripted missions now patrol instead of just sitting still and waiting for you. The drop-ins are still the same as always, but the patrols mean you can get overwhelmed quickly. I don't think that feature was thought out very well, a lot of those maps are not designed with patrolling aliens in mind. "Friends in low places," in particular, is a tiny rear end map so if you aren't hugging the sides you will easily activate more than you can handle. Gangplank was another challenge, thin men patrols all take them to the entry way that you are forced to go through. (and that preactivated cyberdisc is even more of an rear end in a top hat now)

In all three of those missions, camping is your best option. First turn on Zhang's map, hide in the gravestones on the back wall and take out the first drop-ins. (the one that spawns out towards the middle of the map wont be visible from back there, make sure he comes to you. If you peek out at him, patrols will find you) Then shift left into the corner so as to not trigger too many patrols at once. On Portent, I like to stay on the back side of the roof of the first building. Send one dude to creep up the left corner and everyone else just camps the skylights. Trigger a pod, fall back. The thin men will generally jump up onto the roof to come after you and get plastered with overwatch fire.

Side Note: Seeker AI freaks out when inside a battle scanner radius.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 18, 2014

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The patrolling pods are interesting, but I wish they wouldn't always do that. Right now a lot of missions are all about finding good defensive positions and just waiting it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Someone give me some hints on Exalt missions in Long War because the buffs to the AI and the super high numbers of them make their missions seem incredibly difficult.

Speaking of council missions though, i had the Van Doorn rescue (ugh) and I could hear loads of aliens in the trench with Van Doorn. Throwing a battle scanner made the game crash, which was fun, so on reloading i moved in to uncover a couple of tiles on the left hand side. I revealed two pods of 4 seekers and two pods of 3 thin men. So the bugging out of the seekers in the battle scanner probably caused the crash.

Killing 8 seekers with ballistics while everyone was acidified was fun though.

• Locked thread