Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The collective bile and tears of 15 teams' worth of playoff posters would make up the last two feet. Obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

Deer_fire posted:

Edit: I guess it's cruelly ironic that the posts saved Montreal's season vs. Boston and it didn't even take 1 game for one to probably end it vs. the Rangers.

The posts giveth and the posts taketh away.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Budaj isn't a dumpster fire so I'm hoping the Habs can keep it competitive, but we'll see. I'm just really pessimistic right now.

Basically just don't get swept :(

The team itself is going to be playing worse in front of Budaj to begin with though. Losing a key player like that really bums a team out, especially this close to the finals. They will be swept, so now my hope is that Budaj can minimize the damage.

At least I still have the Hawks. for now

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm so bummed out that I literally don't know if I'm going to bother watching.

I might just go do other stuff.

Typically these kinds of posts drive me nuts but now I'm the one making them. So :emo:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

darkwolf220 posted:

Do you really think the subway is only 8 feet deep? If it is anything like the DC subway, 20 feet is probably generous. That poo poo is already below sea level, only water at the surface is going to flood it a la Sandy.

I meant that the water doesn't have to get up to 8 feet high to flood the subways. Hell, I'm pretty sure most of the tunnels have pumps that are constantly trying to keep out water that's always flowing in.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'd say how much luckier could the Rangers get but even if they prevail here they are still going to run into one of the two most vicious meatgrinders the West has to offer.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Grimby posted:

The posts giveth and the posts taketh away.

If only we could take away all the posts from the few pages, am I right? :haw:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Furnaceface posted:

The team itself is going to be playing worse in front of Budaj to begin with though. Losing a key player like that really bums a team out, especially this close to the finals. They will be swept, so now my hope is that Budaj can minimize the damage.

At least I still have the Hawks. for now

Eh I could see them rallying for Budaj instead of folding.

Ginette Reno posted:

I'd say how much luckier could the Rangers get but even if they prevail here they are still going to run into one of the two most vicious meatgrinders the West has to offer.

This series isn't over at all so I'm not going to act like they got this in the bag, but if we're going off hypotheticals I think I'd want the Rangers to face Chicago. I think they matchup better than against the Kings...Kings are big enough and skilled enough that it gives the Rangers some trouble whenever they play, Chicago isn't as big and plays a style closer to the Rangers plus the Rangers beat them twice this year (and that means exactly nothing but still).

Also gently caress LA I don't want them to win another cup so I'd rather Chicago win two in a row than LA win it, if the West absolutely HAS to win the cup.

I think if Montreal went to the Finals I'd probably cheer for them though

But in the end man you just hope you can get to the finals because at least you have a chance to win the cup. Can't win the cup if you get knocked out in the first 3 rounds.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I actually like the rangers, and like seeing teams that haven't own it in awhile, so I'm appropriately disposed to cheer for the rangers.

it's just that, this MSL hate flows too strong.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Wonderllama posted:

I actually like the rangers, and like seeing teams that haven't own it in awhile, so I'm appropriately disposed to cheer for the rangers.

Blame Stevie-Y for that one. :colbert:

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Wonderllama posted:

Dude, your hate literally killed his mom. Haven't you done enough :smith: Let it go.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate the Rangers since I began to post. There are 387.44 million miles of composite nanofibers in wafer thin layers that fill my hockey stick. If the word "hate" was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for the Rangers at this micro-instant. Hate. Hate.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have no goaltender, and I must win.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Well it was a good playoff run. Sucks that we have to protect our goalie so hard in order to have any chance of winning these. Don't know what else we realistically could have done differently to avoid what happened last year. Really wasn't expecting it to go like this against the Rangers or for their to be any possibility of bad blood with this team, but then that's what I get for starting to get confident for a moment or two after the Boston series. Habs have owned and pretty well shut this team out for a while now at home, maybe it's just some form of karma or them getting a break here.

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 19, 2014

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Go on. :allears:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Martytoof posted:

I have no goaltender, and I must win.
:golfclap:

Seriously: what are the odds of Devan Dubnyk making an appearance for the Habs? He was pretty good before he completely broke at the start of this season

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Seriously: what are the odds of Devan Dubnyk making an appearance for the Habs? He was pretty good before he completely broke at the start of this season

Zero

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A shame the Habs couldn't sign and start Ryan Miller now.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Just heard the Price injury news. I'm sorry, HAS. :( This brings back memories of 2006 where Roloson got injured in the Cup Finals and Conklin hosed up Markkanen came in and helped us get within one win of the Cup. Maybe Budaj/Tokarski will help you make the Stanley Cup Finals and then Price will be good to go and you'll win the Stanley Cup. :unsmith:

Albino Squirrel posted:

Considering that

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris May 18
Beyond Dustin Tokarski, the #habs are also carrying Mike Condon with their Black Aces. Devan Dubnyk has gone home to be with his family.

I'd say there's almost no chance at this point.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
So Krieder is going to win the Conn Smythe now, right?

The Rangers are my east team, and after the Avs were eliminated I began rooting for them. That said, I'll happily cheer for the Habs if Flanders starts. I've a soft spot for that lug. :3:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well that sucks.

Maybe I'm just being stupid, but why don't teams just get better backup goalies? Or is it more they don't get as much experience playing actual games and that's why they always seem worse?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

LumpyGumby posted:

So Krieder is going to win the Conn Smythe now, right?

The Rangers are my east team, and after the Avs were eliminated I began rooting for them. That said, I'll happily cheer for the Habs if Flanders starts. I've a soft spot for that lug. :3:

Only if they get to the finals and the takes out LA/Chicago's starting goalie

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
so the Rangers marched to the SCF facing

Emery/Mason
MAF
Budaj

lol

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

McDragon posted:

Well that sucks.

Maybe I'm just being stupid, but why don't teams just get better backup goalies? Or is it more they don't get as much experience playing actual games and that's why they always seem worse?

It's not that easy to find a goalie who is high quality but also doesn't mind being a backup, especially on a team like the Habs where they don't play the backup often.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Budaj is perfectly fine as a serviceable backup that takes spot games during the season. It's the fact that the dropoff from Price to him is significant and there are many games in these playoffs that were it not for Price weathering a flurry of chances, the Habs would not have won that game. I do not feel that Budaj would have had success in those situations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Dirty Burger posted:

Emery/Mason
MAF
Budaj

lol

not only that but they had to go to game 7 in the first two series

basically, they're going to get swept so loving hard by LA/CHI

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

It's one game cmon people. Rangers won game 1 against Philly and Pittsburgh too and still took 7 games to get there, and remember that Emery was in net for Philly!

I'd be totally unsurprised if the Habs win tonight and their goalie looks good

e: everyone seems to be saying that Tokarski is gonna get the start so he's either going to be cool and collected and own the poo poo out of the Rangers or he's going to be nervous and shaky and own the poo poo out of the Rangers

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there a reason why Tokarski isn't getting discussed much? He is really drat good.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

canuckanese posted:

not only that but they had to go to game 7 in the first two series

basically, they're going to get swept so loving hard by LA/CHI

Nope, ya'll gonna be crying when the Rangers win the Cup. Metro division, the best division.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Tailored Sauce posted:

Nope, ya'll gonna be crying when the Rangers win the Cup. Metro division, the best division.

this but unironically. If only they had a captain to Guarantee it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The Dirty Burger posted:

Emery/Mason
MAF
Budaj

lol

Also Emery, Mason, and MAF all looked like superstars at some point during those series :sad:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

At this point, when the Rangers take out the Habs I'll still be cheering for NY without much reservation.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Martytoof posted:

At this point, when the Rangers take out the Habs I'll still be cheering for NY without much reservation.

They have a pretty likable team if you ignore Kreider at the moment (though he's a pretty likable guy when he's not crashing into goalies)

who doesn't look at Rick Nash and think "drat that's a happy lookin' chubby dude"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not the Toxx thread, but if the Habs win the series I'll make some sort of suitable arts dedicated to Budaj or whoever helped the Habs in net most during the series, because I'll have been so overwhelmingly wrong against all reason.

Levitate posted:

They have a pretty likable team if you ignore Kreider at the moment (though he's a pretty likable guy when he's not crashing into goalies)

I still don't really have anything against him. I think Gallagher did basically the same thing vs Buffalo (?) and I was all "well that's just a thing that's gonna happen, sorry" so it would be pretty two-faced of me to say anything different now. Does it suck? Of course. I'm not going to be too mad at Kreider though.. I even got a mild laugh out of his "wish I'd put it in the net" comment.

Maybe I'm trying to be too level headed about this. Should I be madder? I don't know. I've had all the emotion sucked out of me with this development so it's kind of :effort: from here on out.

But this isn't really livejournal or whatever so I'm not gonna go on about it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 19, 2014

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't like Dorsett, Carcillo, and Boyle.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh well, at least I quite like the Rangers most of the time.

evenworse username posted:

It's not that easy to find a goalie who is high quality but also doesn't mind being a backup, especially on a team like the Habs where they don't play the backup often.

Ah, that makes sense.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Levitate posted:

They have a pretty likable team

Dan Carcillo

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

evenworse username posted:

Not to mention most big dollar goalie contracts have been laughed at for the past several years. Even if they were fine backing each other up, you're not going to ice much of a competitive team if you're paying 2 goalies $5M+ each against the cap.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
What was the injury to Price? Did they ever specifically announce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rich Radbards posted:

Dan Carcillo

How is this not likable?

• Locked thread