Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I assume that the cutscene we just say is identical for all three of the chapter openings until we pick who gets the rune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
I vote for Hugo, lets keep Geddoe with his lightning.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Hugo makes the most sense. And since he's more of a fighter, he'll use it less, which is good because Fire is so dangerous to use in this game.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Hugo for fire god. Suits him better than Chris and Geddoe's already got a true rune.

I suspect the TL;DR version of Geddoe's sections are just "TLR;D"*, and let's keep it that way.

* = True Lighting Rune; Dead

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Chris because I want you to suffer I have never actually seen it for myself. I did Hugo the first time, Geddoe the second.

Also, I regretted taking away Geddoe's TLR. It should not be done.

I think it depends on the rune how easy it is to remove it. Soul Eater didn't seem to mind being passed around; Punishment was a dick about it.

yokaiy posted:

Say what you will about Graham Cray and Suikoden IV, but I appreciate the man for being one of the very few (probably ever) to have the guts to tell a True Rune "no."

Of course, he loses points for then wanting it back later.

Yes.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Hugo. It seems like somewhat of a dick move to give Geddoe the TFR after he's had the TLR for so long.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
If you pick Chris for this, the game almost outright goes "What, are you dumb?"

That being said, just do it with Hugo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nephrite posted:

That being said, just do it with Hugo.

Aahahahaha does it really? I need spoilers for this, or private messages, or something

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I vote that we have Yokaiy hack the game, and give Geddoe all three True runes. Lightning on the Right, Fire on the left, Water on the forehead. Then he can just kind of hover in the air and float through the rest of the game murdering everything around him with barely a thought.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Nephrite posted:

Captain Oblivious posted:

Aahahahaha does it really? I need spoilers for this, or private messages, or something

I vote spoilers because I would like to see this too and I don't have private messages.

Captain Bravo posted:

I vote that we have Yokaiy hack the game, and give Geddoe all three True runes. Lightning on the Right, Fire on the left, Water on the forehead. Then he can just kind of hover in the air and float through the rest of the game murdering everything around him with barely a thought.

But then we couldn't have him running Lightning/Thunder/True Lightning, which would be hilarious.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I feel like it's either Queen or Hugo

All wrong. It's none other than Thomas, with an A+. None of the currently recruited characters come close.

Ponder that as we enter the next chapter.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 22, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hugo is my vote for becoming the Pyro.

I mean, True Fire Rune bearer.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ignoring the obvious poll (my vote goes in for Hugo, for what it's worth): Is this the only game in the series that spells it "Cyndar"? I distinctly remember at least Suikoden 2 and 5 referring to them as "Sindar".

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the true rune must go to....thomas...........

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

Hugo is my vote for becoming the Pyro.

I mean, True Fire Rune bearer.

Requesting yokaiy depiction of Hugo as the Team Fortress 2 pyro

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Chris because I've always done Hugo's route, Geddoe and the TLR are a match made in heaven, and what could possibly go wrong

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

All wrong. It's none other than Thomas, with an A+. None of the currently recruited characters come close.

Wow I really should have predicted that in retrospect

I don't think I ever really thought to give Thomas a rune in my playthroughs. He's a pretty solid swordsman if you can level him up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Looks like I caught up with the LP (I read everything after Geddoe's first chapter today) just in time for an interesting decision, and I have no idea who to vote for.

edit: I think I'm going to vote for Hugo just because it'll be funny when we see Lilly again and tell her she's found the Flame Champion.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 22, 2014

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

KataraniSword posted:

Ignoring the obvious poll (my vote goes in for Hugo, for what it's worth): Is this the only game in the series that spells it "Cyndar"? I distinctly remember at least Suikoden 2 and 5 referring to them as "Sindar".

Yup, this is the only game in the series that spells it that way, and I'm not sure why. I guess it was a different translation team.

Fister Roboto posted:

Huh. No wonder he gets a Wind Rune in strategy battles in spite of not actually having one on him.

Requesting yokaiy depiction of Hugo as the Team Fortress 2 pyro

Hmmmm, okay. Lemme add that to my list of things I need to get around to drawing eventually.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
Chris seems like a born leader, she's older and more level headed. I feel like she has a better of a chance of uniting the two lands and Hugo seems like the kind of person who'd start out heroic and then end up burning the poo poo out of everyone and every thing in the end.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Voting Hugo because he just fits. And besides Geddoe is clearly meant to keep the lightning rune.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lotish posted:

edit: I think I'm going to vote for Hugo just because it'll be funny when we see Lilly again and tell her she's found the Flame Champion.

poo poo I knew I was forgetting something magnificent :haw:

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Hugo is the boring choice, and Geddoe really needs to keep the TLR.
Thus I'm voting for Chris.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I can't believe the True Lightning Rune would acquiesce to allowing Geddoe to to replace it so easily. Just goes against the whole feel of the True Runes, as I've seen them presented.

That, and Geddoe suddenly stepping out of the shadows to lead a joint defense doesn't fit his personality at all.

Still wanna know why the True Lightning Rune picked him.

Chris has definitely been through more tough leadership challenges than Hugo. She's won the hearts of the people of Zexen, even as she's pissed off the council. Now she's won over the prophesy tribe of the Grasslanders, as well. She has more going for her than it first appears.

Plus, if you're going to take on the burden of immortality, she'd at least get to be with her dad (provided he stays alive). Hugo doesn't have anyone he knows and loves who is also stuck with a True Rune.

--game logic aside on how long her dad is going to live, of course.

Hugo, however, hasn't really won over the Zexens. In that sense, Chris is the better choice.

Thematically, Hugo is the best choice.

Eh - Not Geddoe. Broad hints that Chris shouldn't be chosen, but the points in her favor mean I can't definitively choose Hugo over her.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I always felt Geddoe's personality suited Lightning well. Normally calm and placid, only striking when the time is right but when he does he does so decisively (kicking Boris' rear end, involving himself in the war 50 years ago).

Fire isn't his bag, it implies a certain passion and rashness that isn't his.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Kacie posted:

I can't believe the True Lightning Rune would acquiesce to allowing Geddoe to to replace it so easily. Just goes against the whole feel of the True Runes, as I've seen them presented.

That, and Geddoe suddenly stepping out of the shadows to lead a joint defense doesn't fit his personality at all.

Still wanna know why the True Lightning Rune picked him.

Chris has definitely been through more tough leadership challenges than Hugo. She's won the hearts of the people of Zexen, even as she's pissed off the council. Now she's won over the prophesy tribe of the Grasslanders, as well. She has more going for her than it first appears.

Plus, if you're going to take on the burden of immortality, she'd at least get to be with her dad (provided he stays alive). Hugo doesn't have anyone he knows and loves who is also stuck with a True Rune.

--game logic aside on how long her dad is going to live, of course.

Hugo, however, hasn't really won over the Zexens. In that sense, Chris is the better choice.

Thematically, Hugo is the best choice.

Eh - Not Geddoe. Broad hints that Chris shouldn't be chosen, but the points in her favor mean I can't definitively choose Hugo over her.

the true runes in this game are stupid, is the answer.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Good lord, I come home from work and see 74 new posts in this thread. Not all that surprising given that I had read the update before the one announcing the vote and could thus predict what had come up, but still, drat.

I tend to go with Hugo every time myself, because I'm the type that always goes with the "canon" choice. But I would like to see the other paths for once. Hmm...

While I'd like to see what goes down when Chris or Geddoe gets the TFR, I'm going to vote for Hugo getting the TFR, simply for the benefit of people who haven't played the game.

EDIT: I don't know if anyone's said anything yet (because I'm not reading all those posts), but there actually IS a solid reason (in terms of gameplay, anyway) for Chris to get the TFR. But we can discuss that at a later time, when we actually get to it.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 22, 2014

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Despite Hugo making more sense and Geddoe being my favourite of the three characters, I'm picking Chris because I figure there's bigger potential for entertainment value in such a mismatch. Also, she's the only TFR bearer I haven't seen yet.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bufuman posted:

Good lord, I come home from work and see 74 new posts in this thread. Not all that surprising given that I had read the update before the one announcing the vote and could thus predict what had come up, but still, drat.

I tend to go with Hugo every time myself, because I'm the type that always goes with the "canon" choice. But I would like to see the other paths for once. Hmm...

While I'd like to see what goes down when Chris or Geddoe gets the TFR, I'm going to vote for Hugo getting the TFR, simply for the benefit of people who haven't played the game.

EDIT: I don't know if anyone's said anything yet (because I'm not reading all those posts), but there actually IS a solid reason (in terms of gameplay, anyway) for Chris to get the TFR. But we can discuss that at a later time, when we actually get to it.

I struggle to imagine what that would be. Chris is terrible at Fire Magic.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

I struggle to imagine what that would be. Chris is terrible at Fire Magic.

I wasn't going to mention the point, until I saw that other people discussed it in spoilers, so I might as well follow suit. Simply put, the reason to choose Chris is so Hugo gets the True Water Rune. Hugo, mounted on Fubar and holding one of the best sources of healing in the game, is effectively immortal; the two of them can easily kill anything that comes their way without any other help, including the final boss.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

I wasn't going to mention the point, until I saw that other people discussed it in spoilers, so I might as well follow suit. Simply put, the reason to choose Chris is

So basically, nerf Chris's viability so that someone else can be more broken.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bufuman posted:

I wasn't going to mention the point, until I saw that other people discussed it in spoilers, so I might as well follow suit. Simply put, the reason to choose Chris is so Hugo gets the True Water Rune. Hugo, mounted on Fubar and holding one of the best sources of healing in the game, is effectively immortal; the two of them can easily kill anything that comes their way without any other help, including the final boss.

...Ehhhh that's a pretty bad argument for a couple of reasons.

First among them being that time spent using the True Water Rune is time spent not doing what Hugo does best: Flip the gently caress out and kill people. Chris is a much less impressive damage dealer than either Hugo or Geddoe and thusly presents a far lesser opportunity cost when healing

What I'm saying here is that the True Water Rune is a waste of Hugo's time. Chris excels as a tank/healer that can hold her own.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Perhaps I chose my words poorly. I should rephrase that. Rather than choose Chris solely for that reason, it's simply something you can do to compensate for Chris being the FC.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Geddoe because gently caress canon choices, that's why, and I've already played Chris's route.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Bufuman posted:

What Captain Oblivious said. Plus Hugo sucks with water. It's his worst magic skill at C. And with his already painfully average magic stat, he won't get many casts out of it.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Hugo Thematically it fits the best.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Hugo, for all the other reasons people have stated.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well to explain why the runes are 'easy to deal with', at least relative to other runes, they are primal elemental runes. Runes entirely tied with nature stuck in a balance with each other.

The runes themselves probably do not care much for who wields them and for what purpose, caring only if their influence in nature still exists. And as such they shouldnt truly have a (strong) will of their own like punishment or soul eater.

True runes are the font of all life in the suikoverse, the countless children of the true runes form the universe and govern its laws. Which coincidentally is why they can break them so easily. If a true rune is completely destroyed all traces of that rune and its children are wiped off the face of the universe. No true fire? no fire whatsoever, anywhere, ever.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Chris because we've seen enough Impulsive Youthlads Who Learn Of The World And Rise Above Its Challenges To Become The Big Hero to last ourselves a collective eternity and Geddoe's too perfect to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Rythian posted:

Hugo, for all the other reasons people have stated.

This!

• Locked thread