Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

the plot is silly, don't think about it too hard.

Your asking the internet for something it literally cannot do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Geostomp posted:

So why does she fiddle with the soul-stealing necklace after a fight? Is it just her designated victory pose?

It's OCD, please do not mind-shame.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

the LP update posted:

Oh hey, we can switch between schemeta to make a finishing move.

You have no idea how happy I was to hear that being said, because the game and tutorial do not say ANYTHING about combined and chain finishers. It might hint that, yeah, you probably should changed schemes every time you run out of energy, but they never explain why you would change if you had energy to spare.

Example A: Your Basic Melee Attack

You hit 4 times, and then on the 5th Attack, assuming it connects, you will do a cool sort of finishing blow animation, dealing a decent amount more damage than any of the single previous 4 Attacks. Which brings us to...

Example B: Your Spells, and Chain Attacks, and How to Kill Everything

Same 4 time cast and then a finisher as before with the attack, but that's not how you're really supposed to use magic or abilities. Let's say you cast Blizzard 4 times. The right next move is to cast Blizzard again, to create a Blizzard finisher, right? Wrong. You switch to a different spell and start it's combo, because the game is still waiting for you to make a magic finishing blow, regardless of what it is. The 4 cast/switch and 4 cast/switch scheme/repeat move is both great to get a stagger built up, because you have no downtime after that final 5th blow, and when said enemy does inevitably get staggered from a never-ending chain of magic, you switch back to your original spell and watch the enemy die by way of some 20x combo and a finishing blow.

This also works with attacks, but you haven't found any other attack junctions (I know its the wrong word, but it feels like it), but the game is incredibly generous at having monsters drop them. Whether or not they're useful to whatever scheme you have going or how you play is all down to a coin toss or a roll of the dice.

N.B.: Check the resistances, because casting something that heals your enemy or is outright never going to hit will probably mess this up, unless you're quick enough on the draw to get a new spell/attack going.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Geostomp posted:

So why does she fiddle with the soul-stealing necklace after a fight? Is it just her designated victory pose?

Has to make sure the battery hasn't run out. It would be pretty embarrassing to rip someone's soul out from their chest and not have anywhere to put it because your soul-catcher is off.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Geostomp posted:

The latter.

e: Didn't notice the next page, d'oh.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Geostomp posted:

You have to check whether the pokéball has stopped shaking, you know. Otherwise it might break.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Faust IX posted:

Example B: Your Spells, and Chain Attacks, and How to Kill Everything

I...played through the game one and a half times and never knew you could chain like that o_O

Do you know if building up a big chain gives Artemis Arrow a boost? 'Cause that would be even sicker than it already is.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

Suzaku posted:

I...played through the game one and a half times and never knew you could chain like that o_O

Do you know if building up a big chain gives Artemis Arrow a boost? 'Cause that would be even sicker than it already is.

That's going into obscure, but relevant spoilers there. Might want to edit the name out. But for the record, if you really want to know that answer.

by the time you can even get that ability, you will be decimating everything. The 0 starting ATB gauge that you have to wait about 30 seconds to charge makes Artemis Arrows just...slow, in my opinion, because of all of the other stuff you can get up to there. Unless you use another spoilery ability that I never found until Day 9, ATB Charge, which is Guard, but without guarding. Just standing still and regenerating ATB in your current scheme at the cost of most of your defense. It rocks.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Faust IX posted:

That's going into obscure, but relevant spoilers there. Might want to edit the name out. But for the record, if you really want to know that answer.

by the time you can even get that ability, you will be decimating everything. The 0 starting ATB gauge that you have to wait about 30 seconds to charge makes Artemis Arrows just...slow, in my opinion, because of all of the other stuff you can get up to there. Unless you use another spoilery ability that I never found until Day 9, ATB Charge, which is Guard, but without guarding. Just standing still and regenerating ATB in your current scheme at the cost of most of your defense. It rocks.

Given all the plot spoilers kicking around the thread, I doubt ability names are a big deal.

I had stuff set up so that I started in a stagger-boost schema and the schema with AA was geared to regenerate ATB at a significantly increased rate, so that by the time I was through with the first stance I could pop over to the second and unleash three or four of the things.

It's also not hard to get access to well before midgame.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
I bought this game because of this LP.

Well, that's a bit of a lie. I really liked FFXIII's combat system and skipped on XIII-2 because it seemed like mostly the same. I watched the XIII-2 lp and am one of those idiots who cringed any time there was slightly sub-optimal play. This game seems to have a significantly different combat system, it is very engaging but in a different way than 13/-2's. I will enjoy the LP, but I'd like to have a cohesive understanding of the game beforehand rather than looking at it through the LP-looking glass, otherwise it's probably going to ruin it for me.

The story is still awful. I'm a sucker for this, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Gensuki posted:

I haven't played the 3DS game or RE: Coded, but Kingdom Hearts proper doesn't have anything missable.

Is it a Bravely Default thing?

The closest thing to being missable in Re:Coded is D-Firaga and D-Blizzaga, which are annoying to unlock due to requiring using multiplayer functions, like, 100+ times.

Bravely Default and KH3D don't have missables, though KH3D can have its secret boss span in a place with treasure chests. So you have to get those before it shows up if you can't beat him.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGd9d7Fn3Sc

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
This game seems like it is fun! Thank you for showing me the light(ning)!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Oh god 25 seconds in Pokecapn makes a huge loving discovery, i had no idea that thing is there and i've walked by there so many goddamn times! The hosed up part is that the sidequest associated with that thing makes you think you have to do dimension hopping shenanigans or some other weird poo poo. But it's just right by the catboy!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Erotica makes everything grow.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Gensuki posted:

In order:

sniiiiiiip

So, :spergin: aside does this clear it up? Did I miss anything? Any names or processes that need elaboration? I love talking about this game, its plot, its characters and the timeline. Oh yes... Timelines.

Is uh... pulse the name of the world or something? Thanks though, that was probably an accurate summary but it read like a Henry Darger novel.

By the way, I probably can't watch this LP, it feels like the ending of the Sonic 06 LP where all of you guys just couldn't give a poo poo about the game anymore. Have fun with the thread though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TheModernAmerican posted:

Is uh... pulse the name of the world or something? Thanks though, that was probably an accurate summary but it read like a Henry Darger novel.

By the way, I probably can't watch this LP, it feels like the ending of the Sonic 06 LP where all of you guys just couldn't give a poo poo about the game anymore. Have fun with the thread though.

Gran Pulse is the world of the game, yes.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

TheModernAmerican posted:

Gran pulse is the name of the world, and incidentally Pulse is the name of the patron god of Gran pulse. Lindzei is the patron god of Cocoon and whether she saw human as lamb or cattle is up to interpretation. On the one hand, it led to the cataclysm/catastrophe/ whatever word they used to say the moon fell, on the other hand, pulse sucked and everyone who lived there died or became a zombie.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Oh god 25 seconds in Pokecapn makes a huge loving discovery, i had no idea that thing is there and i've walked by there so many goddamn times! The hosed up part is that the sidequest associated with that thing makes you think you have to do dimension hopping shenanigans or some other weird poo poo. But it's just right by the catboy!

I think playing too much Sonic has trained me to react to crosshairs appearing randomly on the screen. Hilarious thing I read about that sidequest when I was looking at some other stuff: She's looking for the green doll. There is a red doll that spawns right by her. If you give that to her instead, she flips out and you fail the quest. Brutal.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

I think what bothers me a bit is how easily Lightning has fallen into the "savior" role. In the first game she was just doing what she could to survive, then she's ripped out of time by Etro the Nincompoop and fights Caius a bit and then she's turned into a crystal, wakes up hundreds of years later and totally buys into being called the Savior by Galvanize. Lightning just didn't seem like that kind of person in the previous games, it was like she thought herself tarnished and unworthy. But here she's not stunned that Galvanize chose her, she has no qualms over how qualified for this role she is, she immediately hops to it and calls herself the Savior. And again, considering Lightning doesn't have the best track record when it comes to deities this is pretty odd. Come to think of it I don't think Lightning has ever questioned a god over why they created the Fal'cie, why they thought it was a good idea for them to run around, why did they abandon the humans, etc.

Of course there was that brief mentioned by Hope and Lightning that their emotions are...absent? So that sounds like an easy out for the writers to not address these very important matters. "Oop, characters have been stripped of emotions so they don't give a poo poo la la la."

And I'm curious about the people not aging thing. Is it just people not aging, so they have food to eat? Or has time stopped for everything and people don't need to eat? Because it would be a great source of turmoil if plants could no longer grow and animals no longer breed but people still got hungry. There was a talk about a feast in the wake of the end of the world but I don't know if that was symbolic or not.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Bricoleur posted:

There was a talk about a feast in the wake of the end of the world but I don't know if that was symbolic or not.
The LP has shown that there are working cafes, where you restore HP. Too bad we won't see Lighting eat like the guy from River City Ransom.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bricoleur posted:

Of course there was that brief mentioned by Hope and Lightning that their emotions are...absent? So that sounds like an easy out for the writers to not address these very important matters. "Oop, characters have been stripped of emotions so they don't give a poo poo la la la."

The first game had its characters develop by having them fight Autobots Eidolons that suddenly popped out of them, making them somehow realize that they were being assholes this whole time.

"God did it" is only a little less subtle.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

pokecapn posted:

I think playing too much Sonic has trained me to react to crosshairs appearing randomly on the screen. Hilarious thing I read about that sidequest when I was looking at some other stuff: She's looking for the green doll. There is a red doll that spawns right by her. If you give that to her instead, she flips out and you fail the quest. Brutal.

That's so stupid! I didn't even find the red one either, the description literally says somthing like "she left her doll somewhere, but perhaps it's in a different dimension?" or something stupid like that.

Of course that's just the start of stupid sidequests in this game that give you no indication of where you're suppose to go. I'm not asking for a Elder Scrolls style arrow pointing to everything and not having to figure stuff out but there's one in a later area that's just "A lady lost her dog, go find it" and that's all you ever get.

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost

Bricoleur posted:

It's not like you could tell a difference with Lightning in the first place. Though if they supposedly have no emotions, why does she still care so strongly about Serah, to the point of going through with this? That would imply a pretty strong emotional connection. From what I remember of the first video, it was specifically the option of bringing back Serah that made her accept.

But yes, "stripped of their emotions" sounds more like a cover story for the continuously inept writing. Thinking about it, I can't actually come up with an example where this was handled well by a video game writer. You either see it being plain wrong or with writing going down the route of just stoicism instead of no emotions whatsoever.

Ztarlit_Sky fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 22, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Mind you if I was a god and I wanted a human to actually get some poo poo done I'd probably take away or heavily mute their emotions too, that's actually a pretty smart move if you want your chosen human to actually do things instead of moping around all day whining about how the world is ending and everyone is dead.

Zatch P
Dec 24, 2013
Honestly, I'm wondering if we're ever going to see Noel again. After everything in the last game, what ended up happening with him? I hope it gets at least a mention at some point.

Having just gotten through the latest video, I remember a mention of how much harder the fights are. I played through 13-2, and the non-boss fights were super easy, but I'd say the game could've gone without changing the strength of the enemies here, and it'd still be something of a challenge. The two things that really made the enemies easy were that you healed after every battle, and you could just have the game auto select attacks for you. The auto-attack thing seems to be gone, and in normal and hard, you don't heal. I know even late game in 13-2, I still took some damage each fight; it just didn't matter since I would win way before it'd be an issue and then heal. Without getting healed, and having to actually pick and choose your attacks, normal enemies still wouldn't be a problem individually but you would need to put at least some thought into it. These normal enemies are taking as long as some bosses in 13-2. It's made worse by the fact that they seem to spawn just as often, so effectively you have a little boss fight every half minute. Common enemies shouldn't be able to eat through multiple potions, then cause a death on easy mode.

That said, some parts of the game do seem more interesting. The new way of leveling up seems interesting, as does the clothes thing. The ability to actually run is great. The fact that you can't seem to catch monsters anymore is a disappointment. That was a nice feature. That quest where you had to follow the Etro followers seemed interesting. Maybe there's more kinds of quests than just go here, get item/kill monster, talk to quest giver. Overall, seems like a game I might be willing to buy, if it's not too expensive. I have to wonder how Bhunivelze is able to tell you what to do, and everything, when apparently the justification for him not both doing it himself and ending the world now is that he's asleep. What, is he perfectly aware of what's going on and just started sleep talking? And age shifting Hope. Also kind of wondering why he decided to wait until 13 days before the end of the world, instead of starting someone on this sometime in the centuries since time broke. But then, these are story concerns. Not like anyone really was expecting much from that anyway. Anyway, glad to see more from you guys, looking forwards to more.

Zukhramm
Feb 9, 2014
In the Final Fantasy XIII games, if there is a number it has to be 13. It's a rule!

The fights are pretty sensitive to player performance, even the easiest enemies can do some damage and take a lot of time if you don't fight them the right way. That said, the Meonektons are really annoying and I never could figure out how to kill them with any form of efficiency.

The strangest thing about the "no emotions"-thing is that Lightning shows more emotions in this game than in the last one.

Maelaevi
Sep 24, 2013
I dont know if you guys noticed but they were talking about ERECTIONS during that last segment.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Maelaevi posted:

I dont know if you guys noticed but they were talking about ERECTIONS during that last segment.

NO

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Neruz posted:

Mind you if I was a god and I wanted a human to actually get some poo poo done I'd probably take away or heavily mute their emotions too, that's actually a pretty smart move if you want your chosen human to actually do things instead of moping around all day whining about how the world is ending and everyone is dead.

No it's not. That's basically the same thing as depression, and lemme tell you: it's actually really loving hard to get stuff done when you're depressed. See, not only do you not care about the stuff that would be distracting you with making you sad, you don't care about the poo poo you need to do anyway. They wouldn't really see any point to eating food and keeping themselves alive, let alone having people in this new world you're going to create.

If you couldn't find someone who was totally on fire like "YEAH THAT'S AN AWESOME IDEA LET'S STEAL SOULS FOR A NEW WORLD WOOO" you'd probably be better off like, mind controlling someone. And if you couldn't do that you'd be a pretty piss-poor god anyway, so maybe you should let the grown-up gods make a new world while you go play, sweetie.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Dr. Buttass posted:

No it's not. That's basically the same thing as depression, and lemme tell you: it's actually really loving hard to get stuff done when you're depressed. See, not only do you not care about the stuff that would be distracting you with making you sad, you don't care about the poo poo you need to do anyway. They wouldn't really see any point to eating food and keeping themselves alive, let alone having people in this new world you're going to create.

If you couldn't find someone who was totally on fire like "YEAH THAT'S AN AWESOME IDEA LET'S STEAL SOULS FOR A NEW WORLD WOOO" you'd probably be better off like, mind controlling someone. And if you couldn't do that you'd be a pretty piss-poor god anyway, so maybe you should let the grown-up gods make a new world while you go play, sweetie.

You and I clearly have very different concepts of what the term 'emotions' means.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yeah, you'd think that if What's-his-face had enough control over Lightning to mute her emotions, he'd have enough control to actually make her feel positive about his goal and pursue it fanatically to get as much done as possible within the final days. I could see the idea general idea making your soldier logical and capable of functioning instead of weepy and introspective, but some actual motivation would probably do more good. A motivated soldier works harder than a robot going through the motions. Not that's you could tell much difference between Lighting before or after, but still.

Of course, not much about Big B's actions make a lick of sense, like choosing only one of the several empowered humans around to do the harvest instead of just the one that doesn't give a drat about anything but her dead sister or things that remind her of said dead sister, so what do I know?

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Yeah, you'd think that if What's-his-face had enough control over Lightning to mute her emotions, he'd have enough control to actually make her feel positive about his goal and pursue it fanatically to get as much done as possible within the final days. I could see the idea general idea making your soldier logical and capable of functioning instead of weepy and introspective, but some actual motivation would probably do more good. A motivated soldier works harder than a robot going through the motions. Not that's you could tell much difference between Lighting before or after, but still.

They will address why he can't do this pretty soon actually, it's a major plot point.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, several of the points people have brought up end up being plot points. Unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to tell at this point which things should be making you say "that's weird/doesn't make sense," and which ones are just sloppy writing.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
The no aging thing does get explained and does make sense when you think about it.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Is it because flowing time died so now we just have referential time?

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
If you recall Etro was the goddess of death which would make her death and since she died at the end of the last game she is no longer around to do her job and from there it's pretty easy to guess what happens.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Chaos is the langoliers

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

nendymion posted:

If you recall Etro was the goddess of death which would make her death and since she died at the end of the last game she is no longer around to do her job and from there it's pretty easy to guess what happens.

Yeah alright. Except somebody just died in the town square, so clearly people CAN die. Or are you going to tell me that murders are somehow different from just dying of natural causes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I'm going to say that dying of aging has had been halted. Everything else is fair game. Just don't ask me how that is, since in anything else when death isn't around, being able to die usually goes away.

• Locked thread