Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I rest my case.

Your society's hosed Americans, deal with it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
First they came for the MRAPs, and I did not speak out because I did not own an MRAP.

Then they came for my red dirtbike, and there was no one left to speak for me.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
And I thought it was bad when the local bobbies were allowed to wear black combats instead of slacks...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, that was a new one. The teenage girl across the street backed into my bike and knocked it over...while I was standing next to the bike, working on it...after she'd spent 45 minutes standing 30 feet away from the bike across the street while I was working on it. :psypop:

I'd been out there trying to narrow down my intermittent brake light issue (found it, I think: the switch itself is flaky and randomly flickers on and off. Easy fix.). I had the seat, cowl and tank off and was digging into the wiring harness. The girl had been out there across the street screwing around with her cell phone and yelling at someone (boyfriend?) for 30 to 45 minutes while I was out there working. Eventually she went into her garage, got into her car, and backed out across the street towards my bike...and kept backing...and kept backing...and then when she was about four feet away suddenly I noticed she wasn't going to stop and I jumped up and lunged for her trunk...and she kept backing up as I pounded on the trunk and rear window and yelled "STOP! STOP!"...and she backed up another foot and ran into the tail of the bike and tipped it over onto my leg and then stopped the car.

I crawled out from underneath and started shouting "Jesus Christ! What the gently caress!" and she got out of the car and stared and said "I'm sorry."

I picked the bike back up and yelled at her for a while about how these things break when they fall over, and do you at least have insurance?, and jesus you have to look BACKWARDS when you're backing up, and how could you not see me you were RIGHT THERE for half an hour and I don't even know what you did and how the hell can you do something like this and so on.

I spent a few minutes looking the bike over. The only obvious damage was the shifter (bent inwards) and the left bar cluster. After I'd calmed down a bit I got her insurance information and she said "Yeah I'm sorry" again and left.

After going over it some more, the damage is minor. The left bar and mirror looked all hosed up at first but they turned out to just be tweaked to a different position so I unbolted and reset them and they're okay. The shifter was definitely bent, but I pried it mostly straight again with a claw hammer and ran the bike up and down the street and it still shifts normally. The bike still rides true and there aren't any funny noises. The little peg feeler on the bottom of the left peg got torn off but I guess I don't really care about that piece. The clutch lever is all bent forwards like the seat on one of those stupid German streetfighters but that's the only part that will need to be replaced, it looks like. I was really lucky that I had the tank and cowl off the bike when this happened, so they didn't get cracked or scratched.

So I don't know. Should I report this to insurance? Part of me wants to just say gently caress it, I don't care, it's like $20 for a new clutch lever and she's just a dumb teenage girl. The other part of me wants to say no, you don't get away with this kind of thing, you need to be taught to loving look backwards when you reverse the car (so many people I know don't do this or just use their mirrors and it drives me insane), and reporting the accident would be a fine way to do do that. She was really unapologetic too -- I've had people run into my car before and they were almost hysterical but she only said like three sentences the entire time and sure didn't sound upset. But would it even matter to the insurance if there's no damage beyond the clutch (and, theoretically I guess, the shifter)?

What would you do? Report it to insurance? Ignore it? Talk to her parents? Even though it seems pretty much okay, I kind of want to take the bike to the shop to get looked over but I'm not sure how to make that happen.

VVVV yeah if I'd been standing behind the bike instead of beside it, I would have gotten pinned between the bike and the car instead of just having it knocked onto me.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 22, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I don't know how it works if you didn't get a police report, but you should definitely have a shop look it over and bill her insurance for anything that may have been damaged.

Live and let live or whatever aside, people need to learn that they need to be loving CAREFUL when they are driving cars. They are dangerous as gently caress in the hands of inattentive assholes and man that coulda been so much worse. She could have just come flying out and hit the bike and half run you over!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Well, that was a new one. The teenage girl across the street backed into my bike and knocked it over...while I was standing next to the bike, working on it...after she'd spent 45 minutes standing 30 feet away from the bike across the street while I was working on it. :psypop:

I'd been out there trying to narrow down my intermittent brake light issue (found it, I think: the switch itself is flaky and randomly flickers on and off. Easy fix.). I had the seat, cowl and tank off and was digging into the wiring harness. The girl had been out there across the street screwing around with her cell phone and yelling at someone (boyfriend?) for 30 to 45 minutes while I was out there working. Eventually she went into her garage, got into her car, and backed out across the street towards my bike...and kept backing...and kept backing...and then when she was about four feet away suddenly I noticed she wasn't going to stop and I jumped up and lunged for her trunk...and she kept backing up as I pounded on the trunk and rear window and yelled "STOP! STOP!"...and she backed up another foot and ran into the tail of the bike and tipped it over onto my leg and then stopped the car.

I crawled out from underneath and started shouting "Jesus Christ! What the gently caress!" and she got out of the car and stared and said "I'm sorry."

I picked the bike back up and yelled at her for a while about how these things break when they fall over, and do you at least have insurance?, and jesus you have to look BACKWARDS when you're backing up, and how could you not see me you were RIGHT THERE for half an hour and I don't even know what you did and how the hell can you do something like this and so on.

I spent a few minutes looking the bike over. The only obvious damage was the shifter (bent inwards) and the left bar cluster. After I'd calmed down a bit I got her insurance information and she said "Yeah I'm sorry" again and left.

After going over it some more, the damage is minor. The left bar and mirror looked all hosed up at first but they turned out to just be tweaked to a different position so I unbolted and reset them and they're okay. The shifter was definitely bent, but I pried it mostly straight again with a claw hammer and ran the bike up and down the street and it still shifts normally. The bike still rides true and there aren't any funny noises. The little peg feeler on the bottom of the left peg got torn off but I guess I don't really care about that piece. The clutch lever is all bent forwards like the seat on one of those stupid German streetfighters but that's the only part that will need to be replaced, it looks like. I was really lucky that I had the tank and cowl off the bike when this happened, so they didn't get cracked or scratched.

So I don't know. Should I report this to insurance? Part of me wants to just say gently caress it, I don't care, it's like $20 for a new clutch lever and she's just a dumb teenage girl. The other part of me wants to say no, you don't get away with this kind of thing, you need to be taught to loving look backwards when you reverse the car (so many people I know don't do this or just use their mirrors and it drives me insane), and reporting the accident would be a fine way to do do that. She was really unapologetic too -- I've had people run into my car before and they were almost hysterical but she only said like three sentences the entire time and sure didn't sound upset. But would it even matter to the insurance if there's no damage beyond the clutch (and, theoretically I guess, the shifter)?

What would you do? Report it to insurance? Ignore it? Talk to her parents? Even though it seems pretty much okay, I kind of want to take the bike to the shop to get looked over but I'm not sure how to make that happen.

VVVV yeah if I'd been standing behind the bike instead of beside it, I would have gotten pinned between the bike and the car instead of just having it knocked onto me.

poo poo into a plastic bag. Put the bag into your freezer until it's solid. Sneak into her house and distribute the poo liberally using a cheese grater.

It's the only choice.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The only insurance claim you're realistically going to be able to make is on your comprehensive, and unless you've got zero deductible, there isn't much point. Just get new lever, and if they're decent folk, talk to her parents about it. She's probably on their policy anyway.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

poo poo into a plastic bag. Put the bag into your freezer until it's solid. Sneak into her house and distribute the poo liberally using a cheese grater.
Is that what people do in New Zealand when they're done wheelieing red dirt bikes with no exhaust around all day?

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

what in the gently caress man...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was on a training course last week and someone shared that gem. My first reaction was that I don't want poo in my freezer.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd claim it, you aren't going to be dealing with a deductible since she was at fault. Her liability should pay you out 100% for what you need to fix. Heck insist to have it safety inspected and get a free checkup out of it :)

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Seriously, gently caress not making a claim. Even if it's only a few hundred dollars she deserves to have the rate hike. Take it to the dealer and have them do a full inspection just in case you missed anything. She pretty much ran you over as well. If I felt a twinge of pain from having my bike dumped on top of me and then having to hoist it off I'd be at the ER right now.

You just know she wouldn't have noticed (or stopped if she had) if you hadn't been right there. Instead you would have come outside and your bike would be laying in a pool of gas with bent levers and turn signal plastic bits all over the ground.
I'm usually a settle things without dealing with insurance companies, but in this case I would be all about it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
She was texting, gently caress her

RE: Cops and MRAPs, it's not like cops ask for MRAPs, it's that we bought a bazillion of the things right at the tail end of the war, the Army doesn't want them, and there's all this Homeland Security money sloshing around, so the states can 'buy' the MRAPs and hand them out and say they're helping cops be tough on crime etc etc. There's no money for parts and, in most cases, fuel, so these things will be trotted out to DARE shows, accidentally run over pedestrians, and generally rust out in parking lots.

Also there's two (one more and one less serious) cop threads in GiP where you can ask actual no poo poo po-lice men what they think of this poo poo, you might even see some names you didn't realize were fuzz (not me.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

She wasn't texting while driving (that I could tell) -- she was doing that earlier in the half hour she was sitting outside while I was working on the bike right in front of her. I think she literally just wasn't looking backwards at all while reversing, not even in her mirrors, because she ran almost perfectly straight into the bike. Dead center on the rear bumper. Idiot.

I don't have any damage coverage on my motorcycle, just the liability and medical stuff. So I can't make a claim against my own insurance and the total repair cost either way is seriously about ten dollars for a new clutch lever. Everything else seems fine; I rode it around for a couple of hours afterwards today and nothing feels different from the way it was before other than my hand is now cramped from using the clutch in its cool new position.

So basically making a claim wouldn't get me anything other than revenge -- knowing she's being "punished" for it -- and I don't think that's a very karmically desirable way to live. I'll sleep on it but I'll probably just end up letting it go or talking to the parents at worst.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress that. I'm not trying to offend you or contest your world view, but empirical evidence leads me to believe that people are cunts and that woman will experience ZERO consequences for her actions if you don't press the issue. I would have been absolutely furious in that scenario.

At the very least you should talk to her parents and make it a Big Deal because that level of irresponsibility makes her a menace to other people; think about what it would be like if it were your kid instead of your bike.

As a side note a mandatory reverse camera would've made a huge difference in that situation :rolleyes:

Pimping Giraffe
Feb 22, 2006
Forum Giraffe Pimper?

Slavvy posted:

gently caress that. I'm not trying to offend you or contest your world view, but empirical evidence leads me to believe that people are cunts and that woman will experience ZERO consequences for her actions if you don't press the issue.

Please tell us more about your opinions about women.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Eh, I don't think the paperwork/phone calls involved in trying to file a claim would be worth it.

RE: MRAPs If someone offered you a free/extremely cheap MRAP, would you take it?

Cause I would.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So just now while I was thinking about it both the parents came over, apologized for their daughter (they asked if she had apologized too, I said "sort of" lol) and said that she's only had her license for three months. The dad said something along the lines of "I've been trying to get her to look around more, but..." and did the pained sort of hands-up gesture that people do. I showed them the damage and told them it seemed small, luckily, and that I was more concerned that she look around and be aware of where she's going because it could have been so much worse. They agreed. The dad asked if a hundred dollars would cover the damage and I decided that yes, that would cover a new clutch lever, new shifter, and an hour of labor for a safety inspection if I decide to do one. No it wouldn't cover any work if something else comes up but I really doubt there's anything else wrong with the bike...I can't spot anything and it rides fine, and one low-velocity drop like that isn't going to cause any hidden internal engine damage or whatever. Also, they literally live across the street from me, so it's not like these people are going to disappear if something else does go wrong, and the dad gave me his card and said "call me if anything else comes up". Seems like an upstanding person.

So I guess this is the universe doing its thing. She (or her brother, who was also in the car) obviously owned up about it to the parents, and I assume they're disciplining her in some way. I got enough money to make things right, and since this is probably her first incident I feel okay about it being a wake-up call rather than saddling her with years on years of heightened premiums. Extra premiums that her parents are paying anyway isn't any motivation to be safer, but the parents putting the fear of God into her is. If she has another accident despite this she'll be paying through the nose soon enough anyway.

I hope she's SO grounded.

re: MRAPs I would definitely take a free one because I could park it on my street regardless of the official hours and what are they going to do with a 25-ton APC, tow it away? I'd make it into a shed and put tools and bikes inside.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 23, 2014

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
That was the right thing. Kids are lovely drivers and generally don't need to be punished even more for their mistakes, as long as they're the kind person that's actually going to learn from it. I know at least I made a few driving mistakes and had people give me a little slack, so I'm glad it worked out reasonably for you both there.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Slavvy posted:

empirical evidence leads me to believe that people are cunts and that woman will experience ZERO consequences for her actions if you don't press the issue.

Pimping Giraffe posted:

Please tell us more about your opinions about women.

"empirical evidence leads me to believe that woman will experience zero consequences"

is not

"empirical evidence leads me to believe that women will experience zero consequences"

:viggo: I'd hazard a wild guess that Slavvy wasn't being sexist there. As to the situation, I think it was handled well - I would have waited on the girl's parents to make things right (as they seemingly did) and if not, I would have been going to her insurance for ~~~my expensive KTM plastics~~~

Pimping Giraffe
Feb 22, 2006
Forum Giraffe Pimper?
The lead up of calling her a oval office kind of offsets that I'd say.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
oval office doesn't have the same connotation for those still under the Crown.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Here in the penal colony calling someone a oval office is one of two things.

"You're a oval office" - I probably hate you.

"Sup oval office" - You're a great person and I love you.

Both can also mean the opposite depending on person.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Pimping Giraffe posted:

You really don't get this whole "reading" thing do you? He said PEOPLE are cunts and that WOMAN probably will have zero consequences.

Pimping Giraffe
Feb 22, 2006
Forum Giraffe Pimper?
I don't have to read if I don't want to.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

re: MRAPs I would definitely take a free one because I could park it on my street regardless of the official hours and what are they going to do with a 25-ton APC, tow it away? I'd make it into a shed and put tools and bikes inside.

They're actually really small inside, you'd be surprised at the lack of useful space.

This is usually reason #2 to park them, right after "They burn how much fuel again???"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I read that they get between 6 and 9 miles per gallon, which is in line with the F-350 I drove for a job once. Pretty solid for something that outweighs that truck eight or ten times.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pimping Giraffe posted:

Project much?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I would definitely take a free MRAP. Then again I would take a free C47 if someone offered even though I don't have a place to store it, know how to fly it or know how to fix it. Free is free, can't pass it up or you're a oval office.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Bugdrvr posted:

I would definitely take a free MRAP. Then again I would take a free C47 if someone offered even though I don't have a place to store it, know how to fly it or know how to fix it. Free is free, can't pass it up or you're a oval office.

How dare you! Women appreciate free MRAPS too!

For relevancy: I got to sit in on a training scenario with a local SWAT group. They have ridiculous vehicles, and shot a hostage with simunition for the hell of it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Women appreciate free MRAPS too!

How dare you tell women what they appreciate. You're such a oval office*.

*I live in a British Crown Dependency so it's OK for me to use this word, we're taking it back.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

So just now while I was thinking about it both the parents came over, apologized for their daughter (they asked if she had apologized too, I said "sort of" lol) and said that she's only had her license for three months. The dad said something along the lines of "I've been trying to get her to look around more, but..." and did the pained sort of hands-up gesture that people do. I showed them the damage and told them it seemed small, luckily, and that I was more concerned that she look around and be aware of where she's going because it could have been so much worse. They agreed. The dad asked if a hundred dollars would cover the damage and I decided that yes, that would cover a new clutch lever, new shifter, and an hour of labor for a safety inspection if I decide to do one. No it wouldn't cover any work if something else comes up but I really doubt there's anything else wrong with the bike...I can't spot anything and it rides fine, and one low-velocity drop like that isn't going to cause any hidden internal engine damage or whatever. Also, they literally live across the street from me, so it's not like these people are going to disappear if something else does go wrong, and the dad gave me his card and said "call me if anything else comes up". Seems like an upstanding person.

So I guess this is the universe doing its thing. She (or her brother, who was also in the car) obviously owned up about it to the parents, and I assume they're disciplining her in some way. I got enough money to make things right, and since this is probably her first incident I feel okay about it being a wake-up call rather than saddling her with years on years of heightened premiums. Extra premiums that her parents are paying anyway isn't any motivation to be safer, but the parents putting the fear of God into her is. If she has another accident despite this she'll be paying through the nose soon enough anyway.

I hope she's SO grounded.

That is an excellent result and you handled it nicely. Well done!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

"empirical evidence leads me to believe that woman will experience zero consequences"

is not

"empirical evidence leads me to believe that women will experience zero consequences"

:viggo: I'd hazard a wild guess that Slavvy wasn't being sexist there. As to the situation, I think it was handled well - I would have waited on the girl's parents to make things right (as they seemingly did) and if not, I would have been going to her insurance for ~~~my expensive KTM plastics~~~

+

Shimrod posted:

Here in the penal colony calling someone a oval office is one of two things.

"You're a oval office" - I probably hate you.

"Sup oval office" - You're a great person and I love you.

Both can also mean the opposite depending on person.

= grow the gently caress up you big babies.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

= grow the gently caress up you big cunts.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, at least now I have a reason why I will never ever let Fisker MC touch my bike ever again:

I've never balanced a wheel before in my life, but I'm pretty drat sure I could do a better and less mangled job of it than whichever semi-trained monkey did this.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Y'all may think Sagebrush's casual response appropriate, but just a few more seconds or a few more feet and she could've squashed him flat. I hope her parents at least made it very clear how dangerous her inattentive driving was.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

She could also have had a car bomb. Let's focus on what happened and not what didn't.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Reversing a few more feet and hitting him seems a lot more likely than a car bomb lol

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, at least now I have a reason why I will never ever let Fisker MC touch my bike ever again:

I've never balanced a wheel before in my life, but I'm pretty drat sure I could do a better and less mangled job of it than whichever semi-trained monkey did this.

Holy gently caress how does someone manage that? Literally all you do is hammer the weights on. How is that result even possible? :psyduck:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Keep in mind that the stuff that looks like scratches and rim damage are just remnants of tire lube. But still, I have no idea how they managed to mangle the weights that badly.

I know I should probably go back and demand and explanation or something, but I've already mounted it, and it's hot as gently caress outside right now. I think I'll just settle with correcting their poo poo myself and never go near that shop again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Remember to check that your spring loaded kick stand is down all the way before you hop off the bike.