Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I'm going to play a Stalker because the idea of DPSing as an assassin and also being able to tank group PVE content is extremely attractive to me. So far I like their solo play style the best, PVP was good but I've only gotten to like level 10 so I don't even know how it plays with a full skill outlay. I wanted to do more of a scrapping fighter in PVP than a burst assassin but I guess I will see how that idea plays out. I haven't gotten to tank anything and I have no idea how that works on the Stalker but I am curious to see as well. So a lot of mystery left for me but overall I definitely find the class appealing and I do not usually gravitate towards MMO rogue/assassins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

flipoff posted:

Anyone who played a medic much in beta, did you also use steer or was it more trouble than it's worth? I liked steer when I was playing spellslinger, but I could see it getting awkward when using all of the medics aoe abilities. Is there a way to make it worthwhile or should I just not bother with it?

I made a post about this before, but I honestly think that Steer should only be for people that outright have physical problems with holding RMB, because as convenient as it is to use Steer, you're always going to have to work around everything else for the same functionality.

Using Steer and casting your zone abilities should drop them down immediately underneath you, which is workable but not optimal, especially when it comes to using Barrier. The fortunate thing is, if you're playing a DPS Medic, their zone skill Nullifier is only particularly relevant until you pick up other abilities to fill up your bar, as its damage per second is quite low. The unfortunate thing is that Field Probes has incredibly utility and dropping it right under you will not get the most out of it.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I played last night for a long while. It was my real first (probably only due to time) poopsock session with this game. It really feels like EQ2's Echoes of Faydwer meets Neverwinter... which to me is a good thing. The developers are smart in placing objects in their world. Every time you go over a vista or around some corner there is something there to explore. Smart revealing in level design that I haven't seen since EoF/Kunark.

The combat is actually great. I didn't follow this game in development really so I was pleasantly surprised. It's as fast moving as DCUO with the floor telegraphs of Neverwinter but more complex in design yet easier to understand. It keeps you on your toes. No class I played had a stand there and win button. You actually have to move and do things in a video game. Say what? I know right.

Basically, it kills TESO in the "make an old school MMO fun again" territory.

Allow me to nitpick two minor things:

Housing
When it comes to housing, what's the point of the plugs/plots stuff? It seems weird that you have to choose a predesigned area for that stuff instead of spawning it and placing it wherever you want on your plot like all of the other objects. The tools are a bit wonky but get the job done. Personally I'd prefer if you could choose the axis you want to work on and then spin the mouse wheel for better control instead of clicking little arrow buttons. Meh.

NPCs/MOBs
One day we will get an MMO that looks like a real world with moving people! It's strange to me that in 2014 developers still use the EQ1 model of NPCs don't move! You want to go visit some NPC from when you were level 5? No problem because 10 years later he will STILL be standing in that exact same spot. "But Aaron, if NPCs moved it would take longer to find them and turn in your quest" gently caress YOU is what I say to that! :)

Solid game which is more than I can say for most MMORPGs I've played in the last 8 years. If I had the extra time to play it I would probably pick this up.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

a cat on an apple posted:

I'm probably going to be the only person that thinks Steer is disadvantageous. It's nice and all, since you don't have to hold RMB so much, but it also kind of removes your ability to do camera-look without turning your character (LMB). When I'm playing I'm constantly switching between LMB and RMB to keep an eye on my surroundings, and having turning be automatic with camera movement would be kind of off-putting for that.

Additionally, you end up having trouble with the admittedly few skills that require clicking on the ground to place a zone, and you have to work around that.

If for some reason you can't stand to hold RMB for extended periods of time, which is understandable by all means, Steer is great, but I think anyone that can handle holding RMB should for the inherent additional camera control it offers.

You are definitely not alone in this. I think Steer is disadvantageous for pretty much the exact same reasons which is why I'll never use it.

That and it's just weird to me.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp6kqa_Rh28

Found this posted on reddit. The guy was mad about how the Medic wouldn't die.

He is basically the shittiest Spellslinger I have ever seen. God drat.

BQuietNDrive
Dec 2, 2004
Furious Masticator

Jesus...His load out is garbage, and unless I'm blind, he had assassinate up repeatedly and didn't use it?

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

He's probably used to Halo.

dreffen posted:

You are definitely not alone in this. I think Steer is disadvantageous for pretty much the exact same reasons which is why I'll never use it.

Yeah, I read the description and asked myself why I'd want the computer to guess when RMB should be down. Maybe it's a console thing?

straw man fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 24, 2014

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

This medic is keeping himself alive it's noooot faaaairrrrr :qq:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

dreffen posted:

I'm the exact opposite, the combat in the game didn't really click until I was using steer. I found myself holding down RMB the entire time anyway, so it basically just freed up a keybind for me. It's not hard to just set a button to turn it on and off, and while it's on you can just hold down alt to disable it while you're turning it off.

Maybe steer is better for certain classes? I played spellslinger almost exclusively. Being able to stand back and have a wide field of view and having all of my attacks be more along the lines of a FPS could have been coloring my experience.

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013

dreffen posted:

This medic is keeping himself alive it's noooot faaaairrrrr :qq:
Meanwhile that medic is seemingly doing no damage at all. People will complain about everything these days.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SymfonyMan posted:

Housing
When it comes to housing, what's the point of the plugs/plots stuff? It seems weird that you have to choose a predesigned area for that stuff instead of spawning it and placing it wherever you want on your plot like all of the other objects. The tools are a bit wonky but get the job done. Personally I'd prefer if you could choose the axis you want to work on and then spin the mouse wheel for better control instead of clicking little arrow buttons. Meh.

You used to be able to place decor anywhere you wanted, and the plugs would just determine the basic big structures. I don't know why they made it so you have to start an item on one of the plugs, it's annoying. As for adjusting things freely, hit "advanced mode" on the huge dialog with the arrows and it should show poo poo in air that you can drag to rotate and reposition. Problem is to really make this work well they also need to let you move the camera off of yourself.

quote:

You want to go visit some NPC from when you were level 5? No problem because 10 years later he will STILL be standing in that exact same spot.
This is a whole can of worms for whatever MMO debate thread there is out there. Probably the biggest disadvantage from a design standpoint is in order to do this you likely remove most small, dense themed areas because you can no longer predict who will be in that part of the map. Usually I've seen devs handle this by making everything a dull, unremarkable landscape with generic geography and landmarks few and far between. In fact I'm struggling to think of single-player games with heavy action that move enemy populations around, unless it's on a script. It's something that can be done but it's really difficult to make it make sense.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Woland posted:

Its my fault, but the best they could offer was to switch my account to EU to match the key. So yeah I bought an NA key, and now have a surplus EU key to try and get rid of.

Do you still have this? I could be interested if it is a standard edition key. I don't have private messages.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

straw man posted:

He's probably used to Halo.

Yeah, I read the description and asked myself why I'd want the computer to guess when RMB should be down. Maybe it's a console thing?

I guess! I don't know. I tried it and it seemed off for me. If it helps people get into the game though, that's great!

Lionguild posted:

Meanwhile that medic is seemingly doing no damage at all. People will complain about everything these days.

And sometimes that's enough (staying alive that is). Tunnel vision and all that. I hope that guy lost that BG. :v:

dreffen fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 24, 2014

Woland
Nov 7, 2005

tinkerballz posted:

Do you still have this? I could be interested if it is a standard edition key. I don't have private messages.

Yeah if you wanna shoot me an email at tinybabychickens@live.com so we dont junk up the thread that would be great, and yes its the Standard Edition.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CrashCat posted:

... As for adjusting things freely, hit "advanced mode" on the huge dialog with the arrows and it should show poo poo in air that you can drag to rotate and reposition. Problem is to really make this work well they also need to let you move the camera off of yourself...

Thanks, but you didn't need to defend/explain that. Of course I was using Advance mode. I even referenced the arrows you have to click when the advanced window pane opens up. Believe or not, it's still easier to use your mouse wheel a la EQ2. ;)

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

dreffen posted:

I guess! I don't know. I tried it and it seemed off for me. If it helps people get into the game though, that's great!

And sometimes that's enough (staying alive that is). Tunnel vision and all that. I hope that guy lost that BG. :v:

He probably did. At the beginning of the video, a moodie mask was unearthed and he was on the loving bridge. Instead of going for the objective, he chased down the guy that was retreating anyway. He probably would have been the first on the Mask otherwise.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a really interesting poll about racism in wildstar.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Ya i can see why mechari is so low. I like their idea but between the boots thing and their running animation they're kind of annoying.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

I like this Wildstar racism poll better.

Draynar posted:

Ya i can see why mechari is so low. I like their idea but between the boots thing and their running animation they're kind of annoying.

There's your problem right there: wearing boots as a mechari. First thing you do as a mechari is find a stylist and make your first costume slot completely nude. You're a metal man; you don't need armor, you are armor.

Cronodoculous fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 24, 2014

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SymfonyMan posted:

Thanks, but you didn't need to defend/explain that. Of course I was using Advance mode. I even referenced the arrows you have to click when the advanced window pane opens up. Believe or not, it's still easier to use your mouse wheel a la EQ2. ;)
I mean there are ones you can drag around when you push the right magical button on THAT dialog to make them show up out in the world on the object instead of on that window. But maybe you already spotted it. Anyway they shouldn't be buried like that :argh:

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that

SymfonyMan posted:

One day we will get an MMO that looks like a real world with moving people! It's strange to me that in 2014 developers still use the EQ1 model of NPCs don't move!

It sounds like an easy thing to do and would drastically improve *immersion* but it's just not practical for the average player.
I know I'm generally annoyed when I have to chase down NPCs and quest givers in games like the Fallout or Elder Scrolls series. The objective arrow might be a tad too much for finding quest objectives or locations, but those stay in place. It's very convenient for moving NPCs though. They might be somewhere in this town, maybe in the tavern. They also could be at home and locked their door... or they might have been eaten by a bear when they went for a loo in the woods. It's immersive but also annoying.

That said, my pet peeve is that there is no seamlessly connected world. WoW and Rift were the last MMOs to pull this off from the top of my head, and those are quite a few years old now. More recent games like SWTOR, TSW, ESO and Wildstar don't want to do it and it just feels like a huge step back in the immersion department for me.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Syrek posted:

That said, my pet peeve is that there is no seamlessly connected world. WoW and Rift were the last MMOs to pull this off from the top of my head, and those are quite a few years old now. More recent games like SWTOR, TSW, ESO and Wildstar don't want to do it and it just feels like a huge step back in the immersion department for me.

Yes it is? The loading screens are between continents and Farside.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Syrek posted:

To be fair, after the two initial zones (i.e. arkship + starter zone), the continents are "seamless" to some degree at least - you can walk from one end of a continent to the other without encountering a loading screen. There are some bottlenecks used to ferry people forward in zone progression, but you can certainly hike across mountains to another zone if you really set your mind on it (and find a way to scale 'em.)

edit: beaten like a drum at a rock concert.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Yeah, if Wildstar isn't seamless then Wow sure as hell isn't (unless you can fly between continents/outland now, I haven't played for a few expansions.)

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that
Playing all classes on most races to ~lvl 10 instead of playing one class a bit higher doesn't seem like that great of an idea now does it.

Thanks for the schooling, that's great to know.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

I had no idea that Granok were that popular, they look retarded. Also the top 5 are Exile races + Chua :getin:

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

I had no idea that Granok were that popular, they look retarded. Also the top 5 are Exile races + Chua :getin:

Someone fudged the numbers on that poll. Granok are supposed to be dead last. Not saying that because I don't like them. Someone really did submit a ton of votes so Granok would be on top.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

FoolishLobster posted:

Someone fudged the numbers on that poll. Granok are supposed to be dead last. Not saying that because I don't like them. Someone really did submit a ton of votes so Granok would be on top.

That's almost indescribably sad

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tiger Millionaire posted:

I'm using Steer and so i rebound my Q+E buttons to something more useful

Except now whenever I get stunned and have to do the tapping minigame it bugs out and i have to wait out the timer now as i have no options to mash the side directions :(

Guess i'll have to rebind the keyboard camera rotation buttons to like 8+9 or something to sort it, but still kind of annoying as i have literally no use for those directions otherwise!
This is not a Steer issue and is just a bug. I have default WASD movement and I'm not using Steer. Sometimes the stun breakout prompt will highlight a button but not label that button. At that point you just have to suck it up and wait.

It's annoying as hell in PvP.

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that

FoolishLobster posted:

That means that actually Aurin are on top?
That's even more disturbing.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
So, question for those who have tried it, how does engineer tanking feel at the various levels and what do the various kinds of loadouts for a tank engie look/play like? I got to play a warrior to level 20 and tanking with him felt pretty fun if a bit clumsy positioning wise with the tools I had, and I'm curious as to what the general consensus is here about which is the more fun tank style to play, if there's any difference at all. Not really interested in stalkers though.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

SymfonyMan posted:

NPCs/MOBs
One day we will get an MMO that looks like a real world with moving people! It's strange to me that in 2014 developers still use the EQ1 model of NPCs don't move! You want to go visit some NPC from when you were level 5? No problem because 10 years later he will STILL be standing in that exact same spot. "But Aaron, if NPCs moved it would take longer to find them and turn in your quest" gently caress YOU is what I say to that! :)

As someone who makes a living putting those NPCs in places, let me lay it out.

No one wants to make a static world. Ideally, it would be awesome if everything was dynamic and changed accordingly. Simply put, development time most often does not allow for the sort of dynamic changing NPCs you're after.

Most NPC movement and interaction you see in MMOs is entirely scripted, start to finish. Actual combat AI -- in terms of spells used and such -- is normally dynamic and attached to AI itself, but if there's any specific movement (like, say, a mob that jumps from platform to platform), that is scripted, not a part of its little code brain. Why is this? Lag, primarily. Keeping everyone on a server synced up is not an easy task, and a whole lot can happen from point A to point B. Leave it solely up to AI and the conditions that initially caused it to want to do a thing may no longer exist by the time it actually goes to do that thing. Basically, a whole lot can go catastrophically wrong. With scripted NPCs, you know where they're going to be when, and it's safer and saner for a live multiplayer game. I'm not saying it's impossible to do an Elder Scrolls-like schedule for NPCs, but chances are you'll be bugfixing that into the next age.

So, then, why not script out schedules for NPCs? Time, mainly. If I'm questing out a zone, I'm being asked to implement dozens of quests in a matter of weeks, maybe a month or two. Placing an NPC down to turn in the quest takes me five minutes, assuming he's been created already. Making a schedule for him would take me hours to implement and test properly, and that's assuming that's all I'm doing, not doing anything like conditionals (if the town's attacked, then hide in a bunker, etc.) Then I have to make sure there's information in place for players to know where to find the person, since it's no longer a matter of a simple short sentence. You'd need to make sure (as in other games) that your UI could dynamically track where an NPC was at a given time -- even if they were behind a door or beneath you. Doable, but time-consuming.

Players already consume content faster than it can be implemented as-is. It's not feasible to script out NPC schedules -- or bugfix a potential AI system enough to get it to the point where it would be in a shippable state -- within the development time needed to make one of these games. And that's just before it launches. After an MMO launches, you've got customers all of a sudden, people who want content. Generally speaking, making more tangible fun stuff to do is more important than making NPC schedules realistic.

In essence: it would be neat, but priority-wise, it's way too far down the line and takes far too much time to do it in most cases.

BQuietNDrive
Dec 2, 2004
Furious Masticator

Syrek posted:

That means that actually Aurin are on top?
That's even more disturbing.

Aurin had 20% before someone screwed with the poll.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

BQuietNDrive posted:

Aurin had 20% before someone screwed with the poll.

I have to convince myself Aurin being at 20% was someone screwing with the poll for the sake of my sanity.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
been trying this game during ops week because I missed out on the beta. Seems pretty good but apparently the old UI actually ran the game better? 2.0 now lags people.I can somewhat run this game at 20-30 FPS...very scared to see it in action during actual raids/pvp though. ugh.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

noELrunes posted:

been trying this game during ops week because I missed out on the beta. Seems pretty good but apparently the old UI actually ran the game better? 2.0 now lags people.I can somewhat run this game at 20-30 FPS...very scared to see it in action during actual raids/pvp though. ugh.

Given how much performance has improved (ostensibly at least, haven't had a chance to play in a while), it seems like Carbine is intent on delivering on their promises of better optimization. Hopefully, it won't continue to be an issue

BQuietNDrive
Dec 2, 2004
Furious Masticator

flipoff posted:

I have to convince myself Aurin being at 20% was someone screwing with the poll for the sake of my sanity.

I wish. I was surprised at the overall results, but the poll updates in real time and I happened to leave the tab up when it posted.

Granok were neck and neck with Mechari the first two days. It was also obvious that the majority of people taking the poll were going Exile. But as someone pointed out, they may have selected Human without reading further down to see Cassian.

They're all wrong though. Chua is love. Chua is life.

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013

Commissar Budgie posted:

Given how much performance has improved (ostensibly at least, haven't had a chance to play in a while), it seems like Carbine is intent on delivering on their promises of better optimization. Hopefully, it won't continue to be an issue

Hopefully. I should be able to get 120 FPS on lower settings and at least a stable 60 FPS on higher settings. Currently even when setting things on the low end I'm stuck in the 20-40 FPS range.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

No checkbox, no vote. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Sedisp posted:

Playing the Stalker is about picking fights well. Mercing a dude at full health will be difficult since reinforcements have a tendency to show up but anyone near forty percent health is dead. Stalkers played right are the closest thing to immortal this game has.

The issue with Stalker currently is that it doesn't really excel at anything. I was around 90% sure I'd play Stalker from pretty early in CBT up until the last handful of patches. Repeated reductions in the single-target damage and burst damage and a comparatively underwhelming late-game utility kit make it good at a lot of things, but not great at any single one. By level 25 you have most of what you'll be using as Stalker, since the unlocked AMP abilities are largely not good. In PvP you deal mid-range levels of burst well below a Spellslinger or Onslaughted Warrior and have almost no sustain. Recent nerfs to Preparation and further nerfs to Impale have put Stalker in a rough place for PvP. Lower level PvP is where your Stalker will peak since you have all of your control and escape tools and other classes typically don't.

In PvE you will deal top-tier single target damage and mid-tier AoE damage. Stalkers are still solid tanks, but they take much spikier damage than the other tanks and their big defensive CD just got halved in effectiveness this last patch. What is more frustrating to me is the general lack of group utility and the number of abilities that are unusable or useless in their current state. There is no clear role for Stalker now that they aren't dealing more single target damage than the other classes and that's a problem. Devs have posted that Stalker AoE will be looked at, but nothing substantial on their lack of utility and PvP sustain.

I'm leaning much more toward Warrior, having eliminated Engineer out of the running in open beta. I'd still love to play Stalker, but I spent too much time playing a unique snowflake in WoW (Feral) to want to endure it again.

• Locked thread