Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
The other thing that matters quite a bit is the resource system that the classes use, not counting focus, obviously.
Esper and Medic use very similar resource systems of builders and consumers, so it is easy to translate between the two.
Spellslinger spellsurge is a completely different playstyle. It's probably more difficult to grasp imo, and I personally don't like the playstyle (having played 3 different iterations of it during beta, I liked none of them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005
The Spellslinger vs Medic/esper dynamic on the healing front is also further complicated by Spellslinger healing output being capped based on cooldown timers as of opposed to medic or esper heals which have their larger heals generally tied to secondary resource consumption.

Spellslinger heals are going to be tricky to balance around having their heals still feeling effective without spellsurger up but not having them becoming game breakingly powerful while spellsurge was active (which was more or less the case focus pre-nerf).

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Minsky posted:

If you're looking for the strongest healer "by the numbers" at launch, I have a hunch that Esper may be the class to pick though.

Esper seems to have the most build options, but it could be that we're used to seeing classes that work like Esper. I think Esper needs less tuning than the other two classes though, so it's a nice, safe class to take if you know you want to do PVE support.

The classes are surely going to look different over time as the devs work on balance, but I dunno about the SS as a support role. It's probably a safer choice for PVP where you can really maximize the effectiveness of your burst surges. In PVE the SS will shine best in well-organized groups who will take advantage of surges for particular mechanics. I do a lot of PUG PVE content so I'm scared to death of the class. Also, I feel like the devs just can't figure out exactly what they want the surge mechanic to do. It's bounced back and forth from a button you press to WIN for a few seconds to something the Slingers work into regular DPS or healing rotations.

I think the Slingers will eventually be buffed and tuned into an awesome state for sustained healing in PVE raids, but it could be a painful process getting there. I remember druid tanks from vanilla WoW and they were such sad sacks. No one wanted them to tank anything hard and they were always seen as the black sheep of the community. I don't think Wildstar development will be that backwards, but I'd hate to roll a Slinger to do full time support and find myself getting locked out of PUG content because my glass is considered gimped by the community. (Always play with Goons, I know.)

I also think that Slingers have interesting play in managing their positioning, heals, and knowing when to pop surges, but I don't think they're being properly rewarded for high skillcap play in the current state of the game. It seems like the devs want a high-risk, high-reward type of play from the spellslinger but at the moment they're more high risk, medium reward. It's frustrating if you have to play a class like Jesus the Lord Our God Incarnate just to keep up with what the other healers can do with regular play.

I'm really enjoying hearing other people's perspectives on the healer classes, let me say. I've really had the least chance to try SS during the beta so I'm glad not everyone feels the sky is falling. Maybe I'll have to roll one after all. Realistically I'll probably roll all three support classes then just stick with the one that feels best post release.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
So PvP is just in battlegrounds and arenas and the PvP guild is a guild that focuses on PvP versus raiding, correct? On the PvP server do I need to worry about getting randomly ganked when playing PvE?

Xploited
Jul 18, 2013

Canuckistan posted:

So PvP is just in battlegrounds and arenas and the PvP guild is a guild that focuses on PvP versus raiding, correct? On the PvP server do I need to worry about getting randomly ganked when playing PvE?

If you're in the opposing faction's zones, yes, you'll be ganked.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

Minsky posted:

unlike Espers, the big Medic heals that require a secondary resource still also eat up focus.

Why do people keep saying this? The two big psi point spender heals, Reverie and Mending Banner, both require focus as well as psi points. The focus cost scales with the number of psi points used. Espers spend focus on their secondary resource heals just like medics do.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Canuckistan posted:

this is wrong, the PvP guild is rolling on a PvP server where you can PvP anywhere. There will be an equal amount of PvE and PvP players doing whatever they do.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Gameko posted:

I think the Slingers will eventually be buffed and tuned into an awesome state for sustained healing in PVE raids, but it could be a painful process getting there. I remember druid tanks from vanilla WoW and they were such sad sacks. No one wanted them to tank anything hard and they were always seen as the black sheep of the community. I don't think Wildstar development will be that backwards, but I'd hate to roll a Slinger to do full time support and find myself getting locked out of PUG content because my glass is considered gimped by the community. (Always play with Goons, I know.)

Well first of all, slingers excel more at burst healing than sustained. They're just reasonably competent at the other things too, but this case exists for all the healers.

Second, nobody actually thinks "I'M NEVER GROUPING WITH A SLINGER HEALER" except the slingers themselves. Hell, the other healing classes are jealous of some of the stuff they get. Espers complain about their mobility and innate power, medics complain about focus and range issues, and spellslingers complain about spellsurge/focus issues and risk vs. reward. Everyone else thinks the other classes that aren't theirs have it better. I guess what I'm saying is it's the usual "grass is greener" problem that happens in every MMO, and when it does it usually means your class balance is better off than you think. Once they work the actual bugs and fix some of the remaining design/"feel" issues things will probably fall into place (and then get messed up again, and then get fixed, and over and over like any other MMO). Just pick what style of healing you like the best and let the balance work itself out.

Also, here's a thread where a guy did some testing with dungeon healing post-focus-changes. As you can see he still managed to handle it, he just had to work fairly hard for the idiot pub groups (compared to the organized ones). Whether that sort of challenge is something you enjoy is kind of dependent on your MMO playstyle.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I strongly prefer espers to medics. I don't want to say i'll never group with a medic because their DPS is terrific and they can burn actuators for emergency healing if they need to.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
OK thanks guys. PvE for me!

Minsky
May 23, 2001

roboticbears posted:

Why do people keep saying this? The two big psi point spender heals, Reverie and Mending Banner, both require focus as well as psi points. The focus cost scales with the number of psi points used. Espers spend focus on their secondary resource heals just like medics do.

My mistake. I only played Esper very little and was quoting from official boards which was probably my first mistake.

Also I think a recent patch nerfed Esper focus regeneration so maybe the two classes are closer together now efficiency-wise.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Canuckistan posted:

OK thanks guys. PvE for me!

I'm pretty sure only the pvp guild will have enough people to do raids, so keep that in mind.

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias
We are figuring out the email issues with new registrations. Forums should be functioning fine for regular users right now.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

On the PvP server do I need to worry about getting randomly ganked when playing PvE?

of course you do, that's the loving point

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Canuckistan posted:

The PvP server guild will be doing PvE things! Sure there's a chance you can get ganked but you'll have plenty of people to call on to help you roll someone.

e: welp i guess i left this open too long other people responded

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist

wtfmoses posted:

We are figuring out the email issues with new registrations. Forums should be functioning fine for regular users right now.

The activation email still links what I assume is the old base-URL of the forum wildstargoon.com/forum/blabla. After removing the /forum/ bit, it accepted my activation just fine.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Esper felt really strong to me in beta, more so than Medic and SS and I tried all three up to about level 15. Idk my SS probably did more damage overall but Espers dish out the biggest numbers by far - that mindbird and the slam thing that bashes stuff into the ground hit like trucks.

If you like being more stand-offish and dishing out the big hurt at the opportune moment Esper is probably for you.

SS is a lot of fun, especially in pvp, but as others have said to really perform you need to weave in Spell Surge at the right time, all the time which I found to be a hassle. I'd rather get a baseline buff and not have to hit Q every 20 seconds when fighting bigger things than having to just to keep up. Granted this will be tweaked endlessly the coming months but unless they go really nuts the mechanic itself probably won't change much. It feels like weaving auras or blessings or whatever to min-max.

Medic is crazy durable, has surprisingly good mobility, but healing others as a medic was a pain to me because it relies as much if not more on what the other players are doing/where they are standing than my actual ability to heal. If you're only playing with people that know what to do I can see medic excelling though!

I'll probably just do what I always do and roll Warrior. I always end up playing warrior type classes...

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias

y_y posted:

The activation email still links what I assume is the old base-URL of the forum wildstargoon.com/forum/blabla. After removing the /forum/ bit, it accepted my activation just fine.

Believe I've just fixed this.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Minsky posted:

I'm set on Medic because I like the playstyle, but the official boards for them are full of end-game complaints about DPS Medics parsing lowest on meters on most fights and healing Medics having focus problems because, unlike Espers, the big Medic heals that require a secondary resource still also eat up focus.

Not exactly. They eat up focus only in the sense that something around 60% of your healing cast is building/spending Actuators, but that's because everything else has a CD.

Of course you're going to kill your focus if you spam skills with no cooldown. There's no reason this shouldn't be a thing. You need to balance your usage of builder/spenders as well as cooldown skills to minimize Focus cost over time without over-healing.

Tokaii
Mar 8, 2004

Oldest Goon
July 29, 1942

OMG Settler sucks!

Edit: Costume that is.

Tokaii fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 26, 2014

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias
:siren:If your forums activation link did not function or did not send, please try again:siren:

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

It worked for me. I had the forums 404 once or twice. But it's all working fine now.

"I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like them myself. They're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings."-Philip Marlowe

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Tokaii posted:

OMG Settler sucks!

Dom Scientist is a bit too Nazi Doctor Leo Spaceman for my taste, but I'll still probably rock the trenchcoat on my robit.

With regard to rolling classes based on current numbers performance I'd advise against it unless you're a hardcore progression raider and care more about output than playing a class that you enjoy. I personally have moved through multiple classes that were under and over powered at various stages, but my ultimate decision is based on playing the class I found the most fun. The numbers will be tweaked constantly and Carbine's stated desire is for all DPSers to be competitive; that won't be realistic on launch, but I'd expect it to happen within the first few months of patching.

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011
Does anyone know if the GMG 25% off code for preorders is still working?

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias
:siren:Everything works again!!!:siren:

http://wildstargoons.com/index.php?threads/auth-sponsorship.90/

Dump your cache if the site is not loading!

wtfmoses fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 26, 2014

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Really impressed with the classes in this game, I've never really approached a game before where all classes were almost equally attractive. Will likely go Stalker, but still tempted by Engineer and warrior... and medic... and

edit: You tried to visit wildstargoons.com, which is not loading. (got a 404 moses)

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias
You will likely need to dump your cache and stuff since the DNS has changed.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
The link seems to have changed. It used to be:
http://wildstargoons.com/forums/index.php

Now it is:
http://wildstargoons.com/index.php

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias

Yes also that. Update your bookmarks. Wildstargoons.com now default dumps you to the forums.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Forums are still acting like it sent me a password email but I never received one and can't change my password because I don't know the temp one it assigned me. :v: It's not the password associated with my Steam account I signed up using either.

I could always just make a new username in the worst case.

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias

Tensokuu posted:

Forums are still acting like it sent me a password email but I never received one and can't change my password because I don't know the temp one it assigned me. :v: It's not the password associated with my Steam account I signed up using either.

I could always just make a new username in the worst case.

What is your forums username. I am going to delete you and then you can remake it the "conventional" way.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

wtfmoses posted:

What is your forums username. I am going to delete you and then you can remake it the "conventional" way.

Tensokuu, just like here. Thanks!

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm pretty sure only the pvp guild will have enough people to do raids, so keep that in mind.

I'm pretty sure about half the goons wanted to play on a pve server, so keep that in mind.

RiffRoff
Aug 28, 2012

Strike the earth.

flipoff posted:

I'm pretty sure about half the goons wanted to play on a pve server, so keep that in mind.

I really hope we have a big enough base of players who want to do both to keep both active. I'd hate to have to merge with pubbies.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Isn't NC Soft a Korean based company that makes grindtastic games like that vomit covered poo poo heap Lineage?

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

RiffRoff posted:

I really hope we have a big enough base of players who want to do both to keep both active. I'd hate to have to merge with pubbies.

Well having people post that the exile guild won't be big enough to raid so you might as well come play on the pvp server isn't helping that goal.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

vigorous sodomy posted:

Isn't NC Soft a Korean based company that makes grindtastic games like that vomit covered poo poo heap Lineage?

They're only publishing this. Carbine is NA based.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

vigorous sodomy posted:

Yeah but the game wasn't developed by them so that's not an issue. Carbine is mostly ex-WoW devs.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

vigorous sodomy posted:

NCSoft is a Publisher. They Publish games, meaning they handle a lot of stuff dealing with marketing, support, and etc..

They don't make the games themselves, but they are in a position to demand the game developers fulfill certain things, especially if player retention is an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Dr Snofeld posted:

Yeah but the game wasn't developed by them so that's not an issue. Carbine is mostly ex-WoW devs.

Oh hey, that's neat. Watch me fall head over heels into this when it comes out.

• Locked thread