Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I wasn't going to vote since I figured Chris didn't stand a chance, but looks like she's gaining momentum.

Voting Chris. I want to see the Grasslanders' reaction to a Zexen becoming their champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I'd much rather have Thomas get the rune. He's my favorite. Stupid game not letting Thomas shine like the crazy diamond he is.

Hugo, I guess.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mountaineer posted:

I wasn't going to vote since I figured Chris didn't stand a chance, but looks like she's gaining momentum.

Voting Chris. I want to see the Grasslanders' reaction to a Zexen becoming their champion.

It's less interesting than you think. Just like everything Chris-based in this game.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Chris the game is easy enough that you never need to optimize and I've never picked her myself.

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013
Hugo for all the reasons already listed plus seeing that it is the canon choice Dogwood Fleet will be able to more easily link events in the manga with future updates.

tinapie
Oct 19, 2013
Hugo, going to go with the canonical choice. I went with Geddoe in my initial playthrough and always did regret him losing the True Lightning Rune.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
Hugo, because why not.

No John
Nov 18, 2012
Another vote for Hugo!

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Hugo here as well!

Also, it would be cute if Thomas was an option.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Digital Jello posted:

Also, it would be cute if Thomas was an option.
That would be wonderful, just for the scene when the Councillor comes back to yell at Thomas some more about land use rights, and the little bastard whips out a True Rune.

edit: do you have to give someone the finger to activate the true fire rune? 'cuz that should be mandatory. better if it takes both hand slots and you have to throw out the double birds.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
I'm going to go with Hugo, because even if it's a little dull, it makes sense, works for the characters alright mechanically in terms of not separating Geddoe from a beautiful thing, and because I'm assuming there'll be something more thematically appropriate for Chris. The balance would be ruined otherwise.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Geddoe because Hugo always struck me as too temperamental to be a leader and I've already done the Chris route. I'm sure it'll be harder from a gameplay perspective, but I'm not the one playing.

ObMeiste
Oct 7, 2003

The Boss doesn't like you. Get out now or you'll have some real trouble.
Ok I just caught up with this thread and I've just finished the game myself; so I'm going to have to vote for giving the fire rune to Chris, which I'm beating myself up for not picking myself.

In any case this has been an awesome thread so far and has given me an new outlook on Geddoe :allears:
I can't wait to get to the end for some good old fashioned :rant:

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Even my tail feathers concur.
My vote is for Geddoe. Hugo makes the most sense for a heartwarming coming-of-age plot, but all of the thread's Geddoe love has swayed me.

Also I've already seen Hugo with the TFR, just so you know my bias.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

PFlats posted:

edit: do you have to give someone the finger to activate the true fire rune? 'cuz that should be mandatory. better if it takes both hand slots and you have to throw out the double birds.

Double Birds is a forbidden technique. There's a reason you need two people to use Combo Magic; no one man (or woman, or dog, or anything else that can have a Rune) is meant to control such power.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Hugo.

Geddoe is already drat good with the TLR, and Hugo is the one good guy with the TFR that doesn't involve gimping the TLR. Chris's magic stats are poo poo to begin with, but she sucks with the TFR to boot.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
Geddoe
Him having it seems to make more sense to me, mechanically as well as stopping it from wreaking too much havoc.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'm going to vote for Ozai Chris because I want to see what kind of industrial revolution Zexen gets and I'm not comfortable with a Rune that can burn water like wood being stored in a place made of dry grass :supaburn: That just seems like a bad idea.

Speaking of, every time I see someone referring to the TFR, I end up thinking they're referring to The Firing Range :jihad: instead of True Fire Rune. :ohdear:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rockopolis posted:

Speaking of, every time I see someone referring to the TFR, I end up thinking they're referring to The Firing Range :jihad: instead of True Fire Rune. :ohdear:

Really, you've got about the same amount of kill power.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, that's an interesting decision to force the player to make.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Votes are dying down, so I did a quick tally.

Hugo - 45
Chris - 15
Geddoe - 8

Not what I was expecting! I guess people think Geddoe is best when he's slacking off in the shadows.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I'm gonna vote for

Sgt. Joe

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

dancingbears posted:

Votes are dying down, so I did a quick tally.

Hugo - 45
Chris - 15
Geddoe - 8

Not what I was expecting! I guess people think Geddoe is best when he's slacking off in the shadows.

It's no mystery really. The TLR is hideously overpowered and nobody but Geddoe can use it effectively.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's no mystery really. The TLR is hideously overpowered and nobody but Geddoe can use it effectively.

Not quite true. Hugo, though only a B-rank Lightning user naturally, can reach S-rank with it if you give him the right equipment setup. But definitely less effort to do so with Geddoe, sure.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Bufuman posted:

Not quite true. Hugo, though only a B-rank Lightning user naturally, can reach S-rank with it if you give him the right equipment setup. But definitely less effort to do so with Geddoe, sure.

Terribly impractical too... Getting more than one Lightning Magic Ring is a crap shoot.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

CmdrKing posted:

Terribly impractical too... Getting more than one Lightning Magic Ring is a crap shoot.

That and no amount of Lightning Magic adjusting gear is gonna fix that Magic stat.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

That and no amount of Lightning Magic adjusting gear is gonna fix that Magic stat.

Granted, but at least he gets level 4 MP at reasonable levels. Unlike Chris, who pretty much needs the level 99 trick (or Stone of Magic + death/continues) to get even one level 4 MP.

I'm just raising the point that Hugo is fully capable of raping face with the TLR. Just not half as much face as Geddoe. And really, everyone in this thread would rather have their face raped by Geddoe anyway. :allears:

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

I'd like to vote for:
Chris

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Vote for:
Chris

just to see something different

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
I'm gonna cast my vote for Hugo. Yes, he is the most JRPG tropey of the protagonists, but I think he also fits the role of successor to the Flame Champion the best.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
I am home now, and so this vote is now over! Thank you everyone for participating, and for hanging tight until I got back from my trip.

And the winner is Hugo!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

That is some swag rear end art and I kind of want to avatar it now.

Suikoden 3 is already one of my favorite games and that is mighty tempting.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

hugo your hand is on fire watch out

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

That is some swag rear end art and I kind of want to avatar it now.

Suikoden 3 is already one of my favorite games and that is mighty tempting.

Here; a hastily cropped and re-sized version, for if you decide to go for it. I'll be sad to see John go, though. I also can't think of any good text to go with it.

GulagDolls posted:

hugo your hand is on fire watch out

:haw:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah the text is the main thing I'm wondering about, to go with it.

I seem to recall Geddoe having some choice words about

The Flame Champion choosing to die, coming up here in the next update. Maybe his quote on cowardice would work. I don't recall

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Yeah the text is the main thing I'm wondering about, to go with it.

I have made a terrible mistake.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Many avatars go well without text.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Many avatars go well without text.

Captain Bravo posted:

Both of these are super compelling options. Gonna sleep on it~

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh snap, I just realized I should have voted for Sgt. Joe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I already have my yokaiy avatar, as everyone should, or I'd be tempted to get that one myself.

• Locked thread