Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Psion posted:

Speaking of that, what's the easiest way to get a 360 ME2 save edited for minerals? Same process? It's been a long time since I looked that up.

Yup. With the Xbox, you'll want to use Modio to extract the saves so Gibbed can use them. (Also make sure to add money so you don't need to go play minigames to afford upgrades, and give yourself a lot of Paragon/Renegade points so you can do anything you want.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Waltzing Along posted:

The problem with femshep is that the game makes no sense with her as the lead.

I'm curious why you say this, but I disagree. My preference might have everything to do with the fact that I played through with Femshep first, but it made perfect sense to me.

In ME1, they're more interchangeable, although I think -opinions on the delivery of some of the renegade lines vs. the paragon lines aside- Shepard's range of emotion if you're not playing 100% pure Renegade/Paragon makes more sense as a woman.

In 2 and 3 the relationships between Shep and Anderson, Shep and Garrus, Shep and Wrex, and the Star Child make more sense with Shep as a woman. Especially the star child. It just made more sense to me that it bothered femshep as much as it did, to the point that my first response to the conversation was that I had absolutely no problem shooting the hologram in the head for loving with me like that.

I don't know why, but the relationship, especially at the end of 3, with Anderson just seemed a lot closer with Femshep. He felt more like a mentor/father figure than with maleShep. Thematically, Anderson choosing a woman as his successor candidate for the Spectres, especially given the still strong anti-alien racism on Earth, seemed like more of a push for something new and different for humanity as a whole. You're there to prove humanity to the council, doing the same old thing doesn't really get that across. And because of that, it made sense for him to keep standing up for her after ME2, and to call her kid even after everything she has been through. (Also I didn't feel like an over-the-top rear end in a top hat for punching out Al-Jilani as femshep)

For Wrex and Shepard, I think it's perfect that femShep influences Wrex in ME1 enough that his actions in ME2 are more satisfying. Especially when he shoves aside Krogan-Worf to greet her as an old friend and equal, it's just more mud in the eye of the traditionalist Krogans. It also makes a good motivation for his giving Eve as much deference as he does beyond just "She's fertile".

As for Garrus, yeah, Buddy Cops Bonnie and Clydeing it up. Garrus felt like an equal to both characters, but the banter was better between G and Femshep in ME2, Femshep seemed a lot more happy to see him when you recruited him, and I think Garrus was the only romance option in all three games where it felt like the two were actually equals and not in some kind of power-imbalance relationship. Garrus didn't have a position on the ship so he wasn't really subordinate to you, he wasn't hero-worshiping you, he wasn't outwardly confident but really insecure and vulnerabletm, he wasn't emotionally damaged, he didn't have a difficult childhood or other legacy to live up to, and he wasn't your secretary. Maleshep had no equals available as romance partners.

Oh, and I absolutely hate Kaiden as a character, so Male or Female, he's almost always the one who dies in ME1. I don't even care, I went through his conversation tree once and that was enough. I just really really hate Carth Onasi

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 26, 2014

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Carth rules and Kaiden rules.
:colbert:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

My Q-Face posted:

I'm curious why you say this, but I disagree. My preference might have everything to do with the fact that I played through with Femshep first, but it made perfect sense to me.

In ME1, they're more interchangeable, although I think -opinions on the delivery of some of the renegade lines vs. the paragon lines aside- Shepard's range of emotion if you're not playing 100% pure Renegade/Paragon makes more sense as a woman.

In 2 and 3 the relationships between Shep and Anderson, Shep and Garrus, Shep and Wrex, and the Star Child make more sense with Shep as a woman. Especially the star child. It just made more sense to me that it bothered femshep as much as it did, to the point that my first response to the conversation was that I had absolutely no problem shooting the hologram in the head for loving with me like that.

:stare:

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Cool, the ME3 thread got to the special level of stupid again.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

CPFortest posted:

Cool, the ME3 thread got to the special level of stupid again.

The Cycle must continue

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I wonder if there's going to be any news on the Mass Effect game at E3? E3 is like two weeks away, right?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

My Q-Face posted:

The Cycle must continue

The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Organic conversations rise, evolve, advance, and at the apex of their glory they are extinguished. The talimancers were not the first.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I think the way the dialogue unfolded during Thane's goodbye worked much better with Shepard as a woman.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Tirranek posted:

I think the way the dialogue unfolded during Thane's goodbye worked much better with Shepard as a woman.

No poo poo.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I actually like Thane's goodbye with his son reading the last prayers and not Shepard.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

So then what's the consensus on the right background for Shepard? Earth Born? Colonist? War Hero?

Personally, whatever other origin option you pick (Earth Born or Colonist are better because they leave you all alone in the galaxy, making things even more poignant), it has to be Sole Survivor, because the Cerberus connection with Akuze makes their efforts to revive you in ME2 make a lot more sense than just "Shepard is special". Cerberus has been arranging "accidents" like yours for decades trying to find the perfect super soldier/survivor/whatever, and in all that time, you're the only one to walk away. Of course they're going to spend billions reviving you.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
But it makes less sense for Shepard to be working with them, since they were responsible for wiping out his/her unit.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Colonist/Sole Survivor all the way. Maximum :smith:. For added bonus, you need to kill your LI on Virmire.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The space one gets you a conversation and some emails with Shepard's Mother, and I think a bonus scene with Garrus where you both worry about your families being safe. I don't remember your background really mattering anywhere else, exceot that ME3 seems to wish you'd picked Earthborn since the whole hook of the game is TAKE EARTH BACK :911:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, that's the problem with Sole Survivor. You should especially hate Cerberus, but that never comes out in the dialogue.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

rudecyrus posted:

But it makes less sense for Shepard to be working with them, since they were responsible for wiping out his/her unit.

Yeah, it's a shame there's no dialogue directly referencing Akuze except that news report about the other survivor, (and that makes no sense since "A Council Spectre" corroborating his story should have made up for killing the scientist), but the auto-hate for them right from the get-go, and continued suspicion/hate despite Miranda and Jacob doing their own rationalizing does make more sense that way to me. (Especially since my next trilogy play-through Shep never encountered Cerberus in ME1, so the insta-suspicion didn't make as much sense).

Then again, I'm suspicious by nature and never really shook off the idea that TIM was working with the collectors and sent them after you in the first place, something that was only reinforced when you were sent to the "dormant" collector ship.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Most satisfying playthrough for me (other than the first) was Colonist/War Hero Infiltrator who was called a hero because of her ability to kill things but actually wasn't mentally able to deal with the pressure, so the cicrumstances dictated her character and she was pretty much 50/50 paragon renegade. Hale's acting played to that idea really well, I thought.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Colonist gets the best (and most :smith:) side quest in ME1 where you deal with this woman from your colony who was kept as a slave by the batarians.

And then if you talked her down you get an email from her in ME2 about how she's getting the help she needs :unsmith:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I prefer Spacer/Sole Survivor. The perfect combination of Pro-Alliance/Council and Anti-Cerberus. Working with Cerberus makes sense if you rationalize it as Tali puts it: infiltrating them from within to blow up their operations and take their cash and resources.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

My Q-Face posted:

Yeah, it's a shame there's no dialogue directly referencing Akuze except that news report about the other survivor, (and that makes no sense since "A Council Spectre" corroborating his story should have made up for killing the scientist), but the auto-hate for them right from the get-go, and continued suspicion/hate despite Miranda and Jacob doing their own rationalizing does make more sense that way to me. (Especially since my next trilogy play-through Shep never encountered Cerberus in ME1, so the insta-suspicion didn't make as much sense).

Then again, I'm suspicious by nature and never really shook off the idea that TIM was working with the collectors and sent them after you in the first place, something that was only reinforced when you were sent to the "dormant" collector ship.

and spent billions reviving you becaaaaaause?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

JawKnee posted:

You'd be stupid grateful enough to join their cause?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Colonist/Sole Survivor all the way. Maximum :smith:. For added bonus, you need to kill your LI on Virmire.

Colonist/Sole Survivor/kill loving everyone. Kill Wrex in ME1, then kill everyone in ME2 except for two characters who can get killed in ME3. Then kill everyone else in ME3.

e: then pick Destroy just to rub it in

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

You'd be stupid grateful enough to join their cause?

good thing they were right about the stupid bit.

seriously, why didn't I just go "welp, thanks for reviving me; career soldier that I am I'm heading back to the Alliance now, toodles!"

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

JawKnee posted:

Because you were their super soldier, their key to humanity becoming dominant in the universe, because the Reapers were afraid of you, and TIM was going to use that fear to control them, and because you weren't meant to die in the attack, but then you did because you sacrificed yourself for Joker, which is why the rest of your crew survived instead of being taken on the spot by the aliens who seem to exist only to abduct humans.

(edit: and actually, until I played Lair of the Shadow Broker, the question of how Cerberus came across your frozen body pointed to a TIM/Collector alliance. In fact, the Liara saved you to shop you around to different groups for reasons was pretty :downs: in comparison)

JawKnee posted:

good thing they were right about the stupid bit.

seriously, why didn't I just go "welp, thanks for reviving me; career soldier that I am I'm heading back to the Alliance now, toodles!"

Because the Alliance and the council still didn't believe you about The Reapers, for reasons. (Like, I could understand covering it up to not cause a panic, but believing the cover story themselves, after you proved to be right about Saren and about Sovreign, and saved their lives?)

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 27, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

Because you were their super soldier, their key to humanity becoming dominant in the universe, because the Reapers were afraid of you, and TIM was going to use that fear to control them, and because you weren't meant to die in the attack, but then you did because you sacrificed yourself for Joker, which is why the rest of your crew survived instead of being taken on the spot by the aliens who seem to exist only to abduct humans.

"working with the collectors" does not allow for this conclusion.

quote:

Because the Alliance and the council still didn't believe you about The Reapers, for reasons. (Like, I could understand covering it up to not cause a panic, but believing the cover story themselves, after you proved to be right about Saren and about Sovreign, and saved their lives?)

'good thing I'm a Spectre still and can pretty much do what I want then, kind of like in the first game'

increasing Cerberus' role at all was a dumb move, especially since they seem to have been unintentionally painted as totally incompetent in ME2 and then suddenly hyper-competent in ME3 (Citadel jokes aside)

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 27, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

JawKnee posted:

My Q-Face posted:

1. It seemed kinda reasonable for the Council to be dubious on the Reaper claims. Shepard has no proof that thousands of Sentient Dreadnoughts exist and are coming to kill everyone in the galaxy at this very moment. The remains of Sovereign were not conclusive enough to prove any of Shepard's claims.

2. The Council can't make any major military action in the Terminus Systems or it could spark a war. The Alliance can't do much either since they lost a lot of their ships defending the Council and/or they are now part of the Council as well so any major military action on their part can now be seen as an act of war on the Terminus.

3. This is a great opportunity to infiltrate Cerberus. Like an undercover operation except you can not have a cover and voice your distain for Cerberus but they can't do much since they need you as much as you need them to stop the Collectors.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 27, 2014

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

JawKnee posted:

"working with the collectors" does not allow for this conclusion.

It does if you conclude that TIM was playing a game of 12th Dimensional Chess against Harbinger who was playing a different game of 12th Dimensional Chess against TIM.

Let me see if I can plot the logical progression:

TIM conducts Super-Soldier experiment like Mr. Glass in Unbreakable.
Shep is the only one to come out alive/avoid capture.
TIM is going to do behind the scenes stuff for Shep to get pushed into position to be a Council Spectre.
TIM is going to advance the cause of humanity etc through Shep/Humans getting a seat on the council.

Now the Reapers show up and threaten everything.

TIM, like Saren, sees that the fight against them is futile, but maybe there's a way around it -> Merging with or Controlling the Reapers.
TIM looks for ways to do this, finds the collectors learns about what they do (creating a Human Reaper), Knows the Reapers fear Shepard, tries to trade Shep for favor with (or more information on) the Reapers/Collectors, suspects that Shep will be able to survive one way or the other.
The Collectors don't respond the way TIM thought they would, Shep doesn't respond the way TIM thought Shep would, Shep dies, TIM now has nothing to bargain with.
The Collectors capture Shep's body (which is really the only way Shep's body surviving makes sense. Liara finding the body later makes absolutely no sense, because she was in an escape pod on the way to the planet and once away from the remains of the SR-1 would never be able to track Shep down in space), dump it at the feet of TIM.
TIM needs the leverage that a living Shep provides, so spends billions bringing back Shep, continues to feed information to the collectors while thinking of a way to double-cross them.

I think TIM counted on Shepard surviving the encounter and was going to be make himself out to be the Reaper's best hope for stopping Shep.

SgtSteel91 posted:

1. It seemed kinda reasonable for the Council to be dubious on the Reaper claims.

It's almost like there were no devices in the Council Chambers capable of recording video and audio when Saren was standing there explaining the whole plan, or when Sovreign took over Saren's body and started explaining things, or when Saren uploaded a program to the control center of the Citadel Mass Relay device, which itself should have been fairly easy to verify and would have been proof positive.

1. doesn't seem reasonable at all because Shepard has proven to not be prone to wild flights of fancy. 2. is a reasonable explanation for them not doing anything overt, but not for them to pretend there's no threat. 3. is a fine motivation for Shep, but doesn't have anything to do with the council believing or not.

JawKnee posted:

'good thing I'm a Spectre still and can pretty much do what I want then, kind of like in the first game'

On my first playthrough I wasn't a Spectre because I let the council die and said Politics ain't my thing and when I started ME2 said Udina. So I played on as if I was anyway, was rude to the Illusive man all the time, and insisted that I wasn't working for Cerberus every time it came up.

quote:

increasing Cerberus' role at all was a dumb move, especially since they seem to have been unintentionally painted as totally incompetent in ME2 and then suddenly hyper-competent in ME3 (Citadel jokes aside)

I don't totally disagree, I think bumping them up to major player in the universe was a mistake, I think a "Shadow Council" run by the Volus who saw the invasion as good for business would have been just as appropriate.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 27, 2014

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Actually, no, I don't think the story was even thought out that much, and they relied on vagueness instead of intrigue to create suspense and mystery, so it was like most of the Sci-fi/conspiracy fiction from the 00s, sort of poorly made up as they went along. :sigh:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

My Q-Face posted:

It's almost like there were no devices in the Council Chambers capable of recording video and audio when Saren was standing there explaining the whole plan, or when Sovreign took over Saren's body and started explaining things, or when Saren uploaded a program to the control center of the Citadel Mass Relay device, which itself should have been fairly easy to verify and would have been proof positive.

Guess there were none. Or there were some and they all got destroyed in the invasion.
Even if you recorded Saren explaining everything it can easily look like Saren just lying to Sheprad's face about Reaper nonsense. The Council seems convinced that Saren's just jerking Shepard around to throw Shepard off his true goals.
And correct me if I'm wrong but I thought all Saren did was close the Citadel's arms and Sovereign was manually opening the relay?

But it's besides the point. Shepard had no proof in ME1 and no proof was found between ME1 and ME2. Sorry, curse the Reapers for being so good at covering their tracks. Or blame Shepard's luck for finding proof only to have it blow up later.

My Q-Face posted:

1. doesn't seem reasonable at all because Shepard has proven to not be prone to wild flights of fancy.

They believe Shepard believes that there is a threat to the galaxy in the form of sentient starships from beyond dark space. But they need concrete proof of their existence and that they are heading for the galaxy before they prepare for galactic war on the scale Shepard is yelling about.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 27, 2014

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

My Q-Face posted:

I don't totally disagree, I think bumping them up to major player in the universe was a mistake, I think a "Shadow Council" run by the Volus who saw the invasion as good for business would have been just as appropriate.
So what you're saying is, a secret Volus cabal?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

SgtSteel91 posted:

But it's besides the point. Shepard had no proof in ME1 and no proof was found between ME1 and ME2. Sorry, curse the Reapers for being so good at covering their tracks. Or blame Shepard's luck for finding proof only to have it blow up later.

But the fact that the Citadel is itself a Mass Relay ought to be easy to prove, even if all the recordings are gone.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Colonist/Sole Survivor/kill loving everyone. Kill Wrex in ME1, then kill everyone in ME2 except for two characters who can get killed in ME3. Then kill everyone else in ME3.

this character would throw a pretty fun house party during Citadel

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

My Q-Face posted:

But the fact that the Citadel is itself a Mass Relay ought to be easy to prove, even if all the recordings are gone.

No one knows how the everyday-use ones work, so how would they confirm if the city-sized space station was one or not?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

No one knows how the everyday-use ones work, so how would they confirm if the city-sized space station was one or not?

I'd agree that no one would even know how to find out how a city-sized space station relay would work, but there is some understanding of how run of the mill relays work since they can make comm-buoys, which are described as primitive, miniature mass relays.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

sassassin posted:

They're not a complete out-of-reach mystery though, the Protheans were able to build the conduit.

The Dog Patch
May 24, 2014

Some Things Just need some chaos to keep it exciting

Psion posted:

Speaking of that, what's the easiest way to get a 360 ME2 save edited for minerals? Same process? It's been a long time since I looked that up.

If your looking for just any save you can download horizon or modio and they have a lot of save packs or just individual saves. But if you just want yours edited then im sure the Gibbs editor is updated enough to do it.

My Q-Face posted:

They're not a complete out-of-reach mystery though, the Protheans were able to build the conduit.

From my understanding of the lore the protheans had many more centuries to explore and research the citadel before the reapers invaded. And I distincly remember in some dialogs that there were unreachable areas of the citadel that no one has been to yet when the current races found it.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I'm in love with Anderson's apartment in Citadel. Does anyone know if anybody's done any sort of floor plan or architectural mock-up? Where might one go to find such a thing?

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.

Fister Roboto posted:

e: then pick Destroy just to rub it in
Just make sure not to have too much EMS, so that Shepard dies too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

this character would throw a pretty fun house party during Citadel

The barebones guestlist result is pretty sad but I'm waiting for the psycho Shepard party mod, where you're the only attendee and the apartment is filled with cardboard cutouts of your dead crewmembers.

• Locked thread