Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
None of them have any hops but they all somehow can stay in the air for three seconds at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Doltos posted:

He totally was a shooter, at least better than anyone on the court that day. His team completely ran the other team off before me with only 7-8 possessions since he nailed five threes (we count threes as 2's and play to 12).

I just put my hand in his face and he flustered himself trying to talk poo poo. Not anything special, he just got himself mad. I also had a crazy rear end 6' Spanish dude that was nailing flying reverse layups like a somebody and no one on the 'shooters' team could guard him, so he was getting pissed and running his mouth at that too.

Yeah hand in the face is enough to bother anyone I'd say, especially in their personal space on the arch. I was more on the aspect that I could never talk poo poo whilst in the act of shooting from deep but I realize now that that did not add much to the discussion. :)

I'm glad you beat that tool and would like to add that foreigners do seem to hang for an eternity.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

None of them have any hops but they all somehow can stay in the air for three seconds at a time

I did that to make a game winning bucket this week. Split the defense at the free throw line, jumped about four inches off the ground, stayed in the air until all the hands trying to block me disappeared and then finger rolled it in

Feels good man

Everyone was laughing about how it was the slowest layup anyone had ever seen for the rest of the night

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I bought a pair of Starbury's off Ebay. Thanks Pick Up Basketball Thread.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

JRizzle posted:

If there's a Nike outlet anywhere near you and you care about having ~cool looking shoes~, you can find some for pretty cheap there. Or Amazon like Bizort said.

I spent too much money on

They're kind of annoying to lace up because the strap gets in the way, but man are they comfortable. I tried on some KDs when I was getting them and I have no idea how anyone wears them to play basketball. They feel so weird.

I haven't tried the KD VIs but the Vs are my regular game shoe. The KDs feel weird at first because they have some weird adaptive poo poo that molds to your foot. After a couple of times playing in them they feel like socks with ankle support and tread or something, it's great. I assume the new ones are the same way but I get too nervous about turning my ankle to go all in on low-tops.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I would never even consider playing wearing anything but high tops. I feel like you're just guaranteeing an ankle injury.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

You don't have to worry about ankle injuries if you play with a total lack of athleticism, guys. That's my secret

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

RCarr posted:

I would never even consider playing wearing anything but high tops. I feel like you're just guaranteeing an ankle injury.

Guards can for sure get away with low tops I feel like.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Intruder posted:

You don't have to worry about ankle injuries if you play with a total lack of athleticism, guys. That's my secret

I feel like that's when you're most prone to ankle injuries, but I feel you regardless

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

thompson posted:

Yeah hand in the face is enough to bother anyone I'd say, especially in their personal space on the arch. I was more on the aspect that I could never talk poo poo whilst in the act of shooting from deep but I realize now that that did not add much to the discussion. :)

Eh, while technically legal, faceguarding is incredibly annoying, I can understand that the guy felt the need to do something.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

RCarr posted:

I've played in low tops for my entire life and never had a serious ankle injury. I've rolled my ankle but never badly enough to stop playing and never badly enough to cause pain for more than a day.

On the flip side, I've had at least 3 major knee injuries. Ergo, high tops prevent knee injuries.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
My ankles are like the only thing I haven't injured playing basketball and I've played in sambas pretty much exclusively for the last 5 years. Granted I am terribly nonathletic and don't jump a ton so that probably has something to do with it.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I've never rolled my ankle on offense, but I've rolled it plenty of times on defense and crashing the glass.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Mandrel posted:

I've never rolled my ankle on offense, but I've rolled it plenty of times on defense and crashing the glass.

This. Ankles are hosed if you sit down low and rebound all drat day.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Mandrel posted:

I've only ever rolled my ankles when on offense, usually coming down from a layup attempt.

Maybe you should get better at defense so that your man isn't constantly breaking your ankles with sick crossovers? hth

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I sprain my ankles from layups and rebounding. I haven't had a bad sprain in a while, though (knock on wood). I also regularly bust my rear end from getting upended rebounding; it's weird as hell.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

JRizzle posted:

I also regularly bust my rear end from getting upended rebounding; it's weird as hell.

I almost broke my tailbone after blocking a guys layup attempt at a basketball camp in high school. I got my hand on the ball as he went up, but both his hands were still around it and he didn't let go, so my momentum carried my lower body forward in a weird way while my upper body stopped full, and I landed square on my rear end from about 4 feet in the air. I was walking like an 80yr arthritic cripple for 3 days, and I was only 14 at the time. Worst injury.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I've rolled my ankle a hundred times, two of them severely. The last time I was on crutches for a week and took about 6 weeks before I could play ball again. I remember hopping off the court and the whole drive home it literally felt like I was holding my ankle over an open flame. Just constant blinding pain for almost an hour. It's been almost a year since it happened and I still can't play unless I tape the poo poo out of it AND wear a brace. I don't think my vertical will ever get back to where it was before the injury. :(

Every single time I've rolled my ankle was coming down with a rebound and landing on someone's foot. I suggest not rebounding.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 30, 2014

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I'm just now getting 100%ish from an ankle roll in mid February. I tore a ligament while I did it. This was while getting an uncontested rebound. poo poo happens

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I agree, but jumping in traffic has got to be the most dangerous thing you can do in basketball.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

RCarr posted:

I agree, but jumping in traffic has got to be the most dangerous thing you can do in basketball.

It seems like it, but every time I've rolled mine bad enough to have to sit, it's been just landing weird or cutting too hard (or just by walking around, I have very weak ankles), not actually from tripping over some other guys feet. The worse one I got was landing on weird on a layup attempt on a parking lot court in university - within an hour, my ankle had swollen up to like the size of my torso. It hurt like a son of a bitch.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

The B_36 posted:

I've only ever rolled my ankles when on offense, usually coming down from a layup attempt.

Maybe you should get better at defense so that your man isn't constantly breaking your ankles with sick crossovers? hth

Yeah and maybe after that I'll perfect my free throw line dunk

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Oooh another dumb basketball injury: I got a black eye the day before I graduated college because some dick wouldn't just let me get a board and he elbowed me in the eye. That was real cool.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Speaking of sports injuries, I just tore my other plantaris tendon playing ball. Guess we're good. Ive torn the left and the right and they dont grow back.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I've never had a serious injury playing basketball despite playing 6 days a week throughout high school. However I do have about 6 corns/calluses on my feet right now that hurt like hell.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Tons of jammed fingers but that's about it. I've gotten more injuries from ultimate frisbee than I ever did in basketball or football.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I didn't get injuries but now my calves and hip flexor will go lame every now and then.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
I've never been injury prone in any sport but basketball. Torn left hamstring, torn right plantaris, torn left plantaris, shattered left wrist, all on the court. (The plantaris stuff is common for tennis players though and they simply wear down until they tear because they are an unnecessary muscle. It was all a matter of time after college tennis I think)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Seeing all you guys with your horrible injuries makes me realize just how lucky I've been with regards to the worst I've gotten being things like muscle pulls, sprains, eye pokes and finger jams

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

Seeing all you guys with your horrible injuries makes me realize just how lucky I've been with regards to the worst I've gotten being things like muscle pulls, sprains, eye pokes and finger jams

I'm guessing Thompson is probably like Bizort and in his early 30's. We'll get there all injured one day too youngin'.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Doltos posted:

I'm guessing Thompson is probably like Bizort and in his early 30's. We'll get there all injured one day too youngin'.

25 sadly. I have a lot of mileage though.

They give you Vicodin though guys!

thompson fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 30, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

I'm about to be 33 :shobon:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Look at how exactly wrong I was

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Question bout shooting form.

Always have shot in an arc, but it's really hard making the ball reach the rim from a little beyond the key using my current form (yes I do use my legs, no jumping forward though). I found that it's extremely easy if extend my arms and raise my arm at the same time, ending up in more of a pushing motion. However I've always been under the impression that proper form should be to raise the shoulder slightly before you extend the shooting arm, resulting in a catapult motion. I've looked in the mirror before to try to see the difference, but it's really difficult to compare the shots since they are extremely similar in appearance. I'd appreciate any input!

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013
I bought the KD VIs two weeks ago. They are pretty nice, but the left shoe is too big. I'm going to start wearing two socks on that foot. Otherwise, the traction/support/fit feel good.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Always have shot in an arc, but it's really hard making the ball reach the rim from a little beyond the key using my current form (yes I do use my legs, no jumping forward though). I found that it's extremely easy if extend my arms and raise my arm at the same time, ending up in more of a pushing motion. However I've always been under the impression that proper form should be to raise the shoulder slightly before you extend the shooting arm, resulting in a catapult motion. I've looked in the mirror before to try to see the difference, but it's really difficult to compare the shots since they are extremely similar in appearance. I'd appreciate any input!

I'd go with whatever works best for you TBH. My two favorite shooters of all time are Allan Houston and Steph Curry. The former has a more "catapult" stroke to it while I always found Steph Curry's form to be more of a pushing motion.

H2O's form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TeaMT8Lw3g
Curry's form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEQ9KXPTCbs

Unless you mean like a chest shot which means you probably need to get stronger if you're struggling from the top of the key.

Unrelated: I played on a concrete floor in NJ on Memorial day, my first time not inside a gym in years and my knees are still paying the price. Being 35 blows.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 30, 2014

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Curry's form would be the best to replicate out of anyone because he gets such arc on it that the ball has a bigger range of area to drop into the hoop and his release allows him to get the shot off in less space. Basically, though, do whatever works for you. If your shot is going in then other people will start copying you

expat
Aug 12, 2013
In terms of arc, outside of the normal culprits like Curry and Dirk a good person to model your shot after would probably be Waiters. He gets plenty of air underneath his shot.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

My knee's back to 90% but I think I hosed up the plantar fascia on my left foot

I hate everything yo

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Whatever gets the ball in the hoop + whatever you can repeat the motion of + whatever you can get off relatively quickly. Those are the only hard and fast rules for shooting (and that third one is less important than the first two).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I have tendonitis in my left tricep right now and am having trouble using my arm. we're all falling apart.

• Locked thread