Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
How is it not Tom Benson in a laugher? Guy literally tries to steal money from the players and somehow that's not as douchey as Mike Tomlin MAYBE trying to interfere with a kick return?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Alter Ego posted:

How is it not Tom Benson in a laugher? Guy literally tries to steal money from the players and somehow that's not as douchey as Mike Tomlin MAYBE trying to interfere with a kick return?

Maybe his stupid law would've been ruled unconstitutional anyway, or wouldn't apply to athletes with a nation-wide CBA or something? Also everyone says Tomlin has a cool-guy persona but I just don't see it, I suspect it's a charade.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Being a douche and being evil are not mutually exclusive. You can be one, both, none or some shade in between.

Tomlin: douche bag but not evil.
Benson: douche bag AND evil.
Incognito: douche bag and rotten and scummy.
Colin Kaepernick: just regular ol sack lunch douche.
Russel Wilson: none. :angel:

I mean duh.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Alter Ego posted:

Benson by a country mile. Tomlin was more of a wrong place, wrong time type of douche maneuver. He has a punchable face. He like wearing caps. He is "too hip hop" for one front office team. Tomlin is the coaching version of noted-minor douche Colin Kaepernick.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Vaders Jester posted:

What Benson is doing is tantamount to actual evil, anyone that tries to influence legislation to make themselves more money, especially at the expense of their own players goes beyond mere douchery and well into active malignancy which isn't really what we're voting for here.

Tomlin did a genuinely douchey thing by stepping onto the field and trying to disrupt a play in a tight game. And then got a pretty lenient punishment because he's a "cool" dude.

gently caress yeah, I love this logic. It's why we also never up-vote for rape, sexual assault, or spousal abuse. Those guys are just evil, but when they go up against someone with three popped collars, they'll lose that douche-off every time.

Three popped collars is definitely more douchey than beating your wife. :shepface:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Chilichimp posted:

gently caress yeah, I love this logic. It's why we also never up-vote for rape, sexual assault, or spousal abuse. Those guys are just evil, but when they go up against someone with three popped collars, they'll lose that douche-off every time.

Three popped collars is definitely more douchey than beating your wife. :shepface:

I'll admit, I voted for Ray Rice and his total wife-beating cuntery over McCoy and it's pretty hypocritical of me to point out Benson's evil over Tomlin's douchery in that case but I'm still going with Tomlin on this. I mean, I could just say something like "gently caress the Steelers" if that helps?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Let's just take a poll of which teams people like and which teams people hate and call the most hated team and everyone who works for it the douchebags and be done with it I guess.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Vaders Jester posted:

I'll admit, I voted for Ray Rice and his total wife-beating cuntery over McCoy and it's pretty hypocritical of me to point out Benson's evil over Tomlin's douchery in that case but I'm still going with Tomlin on this. I mean, I could just say something like "gently caress the Steelers" if that helps?

Many other goons resorted to that, and I think it's generally acceptable to just vote for clearly inferior douche-bags just because they play/work for a hated rival.

I hate the Saints, but as luck would have it, the Saints owner is clearly the bigger douche here.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The crux of my position is that Benson's action is self-defeating in how it would only reduce his own team's ability to sign free agents. Compared to Schiano's ongoing issues and his ability to scoot by with little penance, Benson is not long for the bracket.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Gerund posted:

The crux of my position is that Benson's action is self-defeating in how it would only reduce his own team's ability to sign free agents. Compared to Schiano's ongoing issues and his ability to scoot by with little penance, Benson is not long for the bracket.

The Patriots organization should be in this bracket and far and away beat Schiano because they A) got Schiano into the NFL and B) gave him another job.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
I admit to being torn. Mike Tomlin is a gargantuan douche, a purified douche, summing the word up in its entirety. I am also inclined to vote for him because of all of the whining from people who don't like that someone might interpret a douchebag contest as a contest wherein one's douchebaggery, separate from other factors, is relevant. Newsflash, guys, when you propose two options for voting, and someone does not vote for the option you like, there are reasons other than "Goon hivemind homer trolls" why they might have done that. Mike Tomlin is a colossal douche, and has been a colossal douche for a decade, and I say that as someone who does not give one poo poo either way about the Steelers. If it's that unreasonable to vote for him, then roll the loving tournament up and just declare your own douches of the year, because I'm not here to play mind-reader. If Colin Kaepernick was somehow a legitimate candidate for the tournament then there's no way Tomlin isn't.

And yet, despite everything, the point remains that Benson is, ultimately, a bigger douche than even Tomlin's entire career. Because while I recognize that evil and douchery are not the same thing, they are also not entirely unconnected. It is hard to split off the elements of things like the Concussion Scandal or the NCAA strikebreaking that are Douchetastic and the ones that are downright Evil, and so one must consider the entire body of work. The base fact is that Tomlin, for all the incipient douchery of his move (and there is no goddamn way it was an accident, I'm sorry. I don't believe that for a New York second), was an idiot who got penalized for the douchery that got him here. Benson shall suffer no penalties, win or lose, for trying to screw his entire team out of money he doesn't need. In a world where the NFL already fucks the players eighteen ways from Sunday, an owner who manages to stand out from the general ranks of NFL plutocracy is quite a thing indeed. Benson cannot be fired, cannot be suspended, cannot be eliminated in any method other than his death, for which all virtuous men must devoutly and fervantly pray. Benson is immune to the consequences of any action he can take now and forever. Benson is untouchable.

Benson, is consequently, my vote for this matchup.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
Gotta say that Benson going around the CBA to save a few bucks is a pretty douchey move.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Chilichimp posted:

The Patriots organization should be in this bracket and far and away beat Schiano because they A) got Schiano into the NFL and B) gave him another job.

Technically he is not employed by the Patriots, allowing him to continue to draw money from the Bucs while he provides "friendship" to the college scouts and defensive coordinators.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Benson is clearly the douchier of the two.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.
The debate going on in this match is a beautiful thing and makes running this thing fun for me.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

The debate going on in this match is a beautiful thing and makes running this thing fun for me.

Everyone is Hitler. 4th Annual Adolf Hitler Hitler of the Year Award. I'll update the bracket with all icons of Hitler and Obama who is Hitler.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

Militree posted:

Everyone is Hitler. 4th Annual Adolf Hitler Hitler of the Year Award. I'll update the bracket with all icons of Hitler and Obama who is Hitler.

I expect a Hitler stache on top of Hitler's Hitler stache.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Benson

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Verisimillipede posted:

TomlinBenson, because every owner in the NFL would try to pull the same poo poo Benson is if they could get away with it.

Benson

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Nystral posted:

Benson by a country mile. Tomlin was more of a wrong place, wrong time type of douche maneuver. He has a punchable face. He like wearing caps. He is "too hip hop" for one front office team. Tomlin is the coaching version of noted-minor douche Colin Kaepernick.
I vote Benson, because even though what Tomlin was a dick move and probably should have gotten more punishment, he is not doing the poo poo Benson has done. That and Tomlin pisses off the racist yinzers who whine that the Rooney's have to fire him because he brings an "urban" element to the team and that he only succeeded because he had Cowher's team. Really Steelers bandwagoners should have been in this so we could have had them vs the 12th man.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

I expect a Hitler stache on top of Hitler's Hitler stache.

<----- Just make sure you put it in the right place unlike the doof who game me this.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Duke Chin posted:

<----- Just make sure you put it in the right place unlike the doof who game me this.

But your name is chin.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Alter Ego posted:

It wasn't really a "maybe". No one really just accidentally goes to the edge of the sideline like that. Hell, there's like 3 feet of solid white that no one is supposed to be on. It was a tight game and he wanted to skirt the line as close as he could.
Before he jumps out of the way he's got his head turned so he can see Jacoby out of the corner of his eye, then jumps away at the last possible second.

He's also the head coach of the Steelers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Coaches constantly wander onto the field. Not so much during play but they're out there between almost every play. The TV cameras don't point at them much but you can see it if you attend any live game.

I have no idea if it was intentional and don't really care, but it's really easy to see how it could happen unintentionally.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Anyone voting for Tomlin is either a Seahawks or Ravens fan, so that should tell you enough. Tomlin didn't injure, trip, or affect the outcome of the game. Its basically the 12th man and Ravens fans voting not for the douche but against Steelers because they can. Consider this a pre-emptive argument for why you should vote for the 12th man.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

swickles posted:

Anyone voting for Tomlin is either a Seahawks or Ravens fan, so that should tell you enough. Tomlin didn't injure, trip, or affect the outcome of the game. Its basically the 12th man and Ravens fans voting not for the douche but against Steelers because they can. Consider this a pre-emptive argument for why you should vote for the 12th man.

Says a steelers fan.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I count fans of the Bengals, Pats, Giants, a few I can't remember but I don't think they're Seahawks fans and a Chiefs fan (Bewbies I usually have to apologize for Parmesan Basil, stop this and go back to loving Tyson Jackson :mad:). People really hate the Steelers around here.

e: I would say it's worth noting that the one real effort post was for Benson, and most of the half assed ones that took up more than a line or two were for him too. I hope that will push him over the top.

vv--I should probably note that I do think Tomlin did it intentionally and he's a fine contestant. He just shouldn't win this matchup.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 4, 2014

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Coaches constantly wander onto the field. Not so much during play but they're out there between almost every play. The TV cameras don't point at them much but you can see it if you attend any live game.

I have no idea if it was intentional and don't really care, but it's really easy to see how it could happen unintentionally.

Even if it was unintentional, it was probably subconsciously intentional. I'm pretty sure Belichick was somehow involved as well, but I'm still working on how to spin that one in.

swickles posted:

Anyone voting for Tomlin is either a Seahawks or Ravens fan, so that should tell you enough. Tomlin didn't injure, trip, or affect the outcome of the game. Its basically the 12th man and Ravens fans voting not for the douche but against Steelers because they can.

This is very true. If the vote was Tomlin or Belichick vs. Ted Bundy I'd pick one of the coaches, because gently caress the Pats and Steelers.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I just think it's a boring matchup and Benson's bill already got killed so :shrug:

Neither of these guys are going that far in the tournament anyway.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

effectual posted:

Says a steelers fan.

We won fair and square. Deal with it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

swickles posted:

We won fair and square. Deal with it.

How much did the refs cost?

edit: idgi
|
\/

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 4, 2014

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

effectual posted:

How much did the refs cost

The same amount as it cost to win in Lambeau.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

swickles posted:

The same amount as it cost to win in Lambeau.

Fail Mary happened in Seattle :v:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sour Diesel posted:

Fail Mary happened in Seattle :v:

Oh is that what he meant? That was incompetent scab refs. Which I wanted to win the douchedown that year. gently caress scabs. At least they weren't doing something important, like doctors. Imagine scab surgeons like the fail mary - one doesn't want to cut here, another does.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

The funny thing is I think that loss ended up costing the Packers the #2 seed.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Leperflesh posted:

After the whole Sal Alosi thing a few years ago, there's really no excuse for it. The NFL sent out a league-wide memo and a map of the specific boundaries.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Sour Diesel posted:

The funny thing is I think that loss ended up costing the Packers the #2 seed.

Shouldn't have lost any combination of the other 15 games, then. :colbert:

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

effectual posted:

How much did the refs cost?

Oh boy my favorite argument. :allears:

Anyone who says the refs won the game hasn't watched it recently.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Don't care: won a super bowl.

Who's up next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Benson even though Tomlin is definitely also a douche

swickles posted:

Tomlin didn't injure, trip, or affect the outcome of the game.
None of which were under his control, though

• Locked thread