Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Geirskogul posted:

Why does it seem like the driver's side suspension is blown on all three of the small cars?

Fat guys in little cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Camera perspective fuckery and a slope to the parking lot, but mostly

Voltage posted:

Fat guys in little cars.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

New title is kinky. :pervert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Why does it seem like the driver's side suspension is blown on all three of the small cars?

Stiff breeze coming from the right.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

T1g4h posted:

All of you guys talking about your experiences driving manuals and teaching other people how, I feel like an AI failure because I've never learned to drive stick. All of my cars have been slushboxes. Always been afraid of trying because I don't want to grenade someone's trans learning how :v:

If you do your driver's exam in an automatic over here, you get a class BA license instead of B, and have to do it again in a manual to upgrade. Fairly strong motivation to learn a manual in the first place - and all the driving schools seem to only use manuals, anyway. (And we have a lot of obligatory courses , so you can't just learn on your own and show up for the test.)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

"Slipping the clutch" usually means people who gas + clutch between 2nd and 3rd, 3rd and 4th, etc. You usually have to slip the clutch a little to get going from a dead stop in 1st, but between all the other gears it's completely unnecessary and puts unneeded wear on the clutch.
Wet clutch superiority. :smug:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You take that back, there's nothing sad about an Impreza L. :)

Slow is Fast posted:

I argue the L is the better car anyway...

Why is this? I thought it was always the famed "IMPREZA 2.5RS" that got everyone's dicks hard from that generation, pre-WRX.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Less fragile. You can be down right ignorant with the 2.2L and it wont die. Doesn't make enough power to destroy the gearbox either. They're cheaper and relatively bulletproof. If you find them slow just do bushings and tires and bring your bean bag. Or boost it. The 2.2 will make good hp boosted with a head swap and some horrible other banjo hack bolt ons.

RS's people want 5k for them BECAUSE RS and then you get to listen to sad rod bearing sounds.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Computer viking posted:

If you do your driver's exam in an automatic over here, you get a class BA license instead of B, and have to do it again in a manual to upgrade. Fairly strong motivation to learn a manual in the first place - and all the driving schools seem to only use manuals, anyway. (And we have a lot of obligatory courses , so you can't just learn on your own and show up for the test.)

Ya, but in the US, it's only like 15% of cars are manual any more. In Europe and other places with culture, manuals are the standard. Here in the US we have to be able to stuff our face and text while driving, so that 2nd hand can't be tied up using a shifter.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Computer viking posted:

Unless your friends are car guys, it's really common to not know anyone who owns a stick here in the US. I've had younger acquaintances and coworkers not know what a stick is, or shocked that you can still get a Mustang with a manual transmission.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Leperflesh posted:

My wife's been driving stick since she was 16. When we first started going out, she drove an '86 CRX.

I, on the other hand, learned to drive on a stick-shift '79 rabbit in San Francisco. The third time I got behind the wheel, my dad made me parallel park. In Chinatown. During rush hour. (If you're not familiar with San Francisco: Chinatown is built on one of the city's famous steep hills, has tiny narrow streets, and is absolute gridlock during rush hour.)

Coupled with the stress-aura my dad projects, that experience kind of put me off sticks, so I have mostly driven automatics since then. My current ride is a 2003 Protege5, which has the 'manumatic' so I can select a gear I want when I want to do that, but mostly be lazy and drive in automatic mode for freeway cruising and for comfortable driving on steep hills.

When I met my wife she was driving a '79 Celica 5-speed coupe (wish we'd kept that car,) and has had manuals only since, with the exception of our Astro Van.
My dad taught me the basics on a VW dune buggy when I was, oh, 12 or so, and I refined my skills on my first car: a '79 Fiat 128 sedan. I spent quite while practicing smooth starts and stops. When I finally moved on to gear changes, I was surprised by how easy that was in comparison.

kastein posted:

The first stop after getting in an auto for the first time in months is always rough, I usually nearly put my head through the windshield :v:

Big dumb automatic brake pedals and big feet trying to find a clutch don't go well together.

Been there, done that, more than once.

veedubfreak posted:

I grew up hanging out with old people and air cooled people, so knowing how to drive a clutch was just sort of the default. One time I snapped my clutch cable about 20 miles from home and had to limp the car home. Luckily it had a freshly rebuilt transmission and new starter. Put car in first gear, start car, shift every 3000 rpms and turn car off when next light turns red. Rinse > repeat.

I had to do similar once when the clutch cable mount RIPPED THROUGH THE FIREWALL on my '78 Chevy Monza (legendary GM build quality) and I had to get it to a friend's house where there were tools to build a reinforcing plate. that old Saginaw 4-speed took it in stride. Kind of wish I had kept that car, too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slow is Fast posted:

RS's people want 5k for them BECAUSE RS and then you get to listen to sad rod bearing sounds.

I've seen coupes sell for more than that in rough shape. 2.5RS looks cool, but that is it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

I've seen coupes sell for more than that in rough shape. 2.5RS looks cool, but that is it.

Heavier than any wagon too, even an OBS.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Darchangel posted:

When I met my wife she was driving a '79 Celica 5-speed coupe (wish we'd kept that car,) and has had manuals only since, with the exception of our Astro Van.
My dad taught me the basics on a VW dune buggy when I was, oh, 12 or so, and I refined my skills on my first car: a '79 Fiat 128 sedan. I spent quite while practicing smooth starts and stops. When I finally moved on to gear changes, I was surprised by how easy that was in comparison.

Been there, done that, more than once.

I had to do similar once when the clutch cable mount RIPPED THROUGH THE FIREWALL on my '78 Chevy Monza (legendary GM build quality) and I had to get it to a friend's house where there were tools to build a reinforcing plate. that old Saginaw 4-speed took it in stride. Kind of wish I had kept that car, too.

Thinking about it, I actually learned manual by driving my grandfather's old international tractor as a kid. He paid me like $10 an hour to mow his grass when I went to visit :)

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Got bored did stuff

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Heavier than any wagon too, even an OBS.

Buncha 2.5RS haters.

If I had to do it again, I'd have started with an L. Less poo poo to pull out.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
can you lift the seats out one handed? I imagine there small enough to.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Discovered that even though I've been parking it in the garage, and the weather is nice that the horsehair padding was still wet and moulding so I scraped all of that out.

The carpet which I thought I could save was actually dissolving for some reason causing it to melt down into a sticky sludge and it even softened the tar insulation underneath into poo poo.

The rest of the floors looked really good actually, just some surface rust and the one spot noted before.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

veedubfreak posted:

Ya, but in the US, it's only like 15% of cars are manual any more. In Europe and other places with culture, manuals are the standard. Here in the US we have to be able to stuff our face and text while driving, so that 2nd hand can't be tied up using a shifter.

I can eat pizza while driving a badly undergeared stick-shift in NYC traffic :v:

(tested this empirically back in 2012. The Nalgene bottle of water goes between your legs, else it'll tip over because they don't fit in cupholders.)

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

kastein posted:

I can eat pizza while driving a badly undergeared stick-shift in NYC traffic :v:

(tested this empirically back in 2012. The Nalgene bottle of water goes between your legs, else it'll tip over because they don't fit in cupholders.)

My Audi doesn't have cupholders that fit jack all. Drink sizes tend to be smaller in Europe anyway. I broke my day cupholder with my coffee mug one morning. ECS wanted $180 for a new one. My buddy just gave me his when his A4 finally bit the dust. Gotta have my gallon of coffee
damnit.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Guess who's rear end decided to give me a call and leave me a voicemail today?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MikeyTsi posted:

Ben Kingsley?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MikeyTsi posted:

It wasn't a butt dial.

It was the spiders.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hmm spotted a rusty silver 2 door in front of Hale's Ales.
All I got was this picture though. :(

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

SierraEchoBravo posted:

My Audi doesn't have cupholders that fit jack all. Drink sizes tend to be smaller in Europe anyway. I broke my day cupholder with my coffee mug one morning. ECS wanted $180 for a new one. My buddy just gave me his when his A4 finally bit the dust. Gotta have my gallon of coffee
damnit.

I have a Saab, which has probably the worst cup holder ever (not counting the 1.5" deep molded jokes on the inside of the glove box of certain old Chevy trucks). It's really clever; you push a little button and some fancy clockworks do their thing and a little ring spits out of the dash and then flips completely over and drops down a little ledge to rest the cup on. It's amazingly fragile (I've had the car not two years and I'm on my second cup holder) and I only use it to hold the ash tray because that's something else that apparently you simply can't get any more. My Suburban has seating for 8 and only one ash tray. The windows in the far back don't even open, WTF are they supposed to do back there, eat the ashes? (I bought a bunch of "Butt Buckets"; even sprang for the fancy ones with cigar rests. What do my friends do? I loan the truck out, because when you own a truck you will end up loaning it out, and those drat things get nicked every time. I've had it so long that now all of it's an ash tray, though (another joy of truck ownership; eventually it reaches a stage where you don't have to care about the interior any more).

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
it's because most people don't smoke anymore and smoking in a vehicle is kinda gross.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Even when I smoked I didn't do it in the car, because ash is gross and the smell two days later after a rain was gross. Same with the one friend I had that smoked. I mean, to each his own, but sometimes if the majority of the population doesn't smoke (and half of those that do will pretend they don't in certain public situations) features like ashtrays go by the wayside. Just means you have to get a bit creative, really.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Even when I smoked I didn't do it in the car, because ash is gross and the smell two days later after a rain was gross. Same with the one friend I had that smoked. I mean, to each his own, but sometimes if the majority of the population doesn't smoke (and half of those that do will pretend they don't in certain public situations) features like ashtrays go by the wayside. Just means you have to get a bit creative, really.

Eh, I get that some people smell it, but I just don't. My dad has always smoked, so I grew up around it. I have to get my nose down in an ash tray to really get the smell of it, and even that doesn't really bother me. Now if someone's smoking nasty-rear end cheap cigarettes, I can tell the difference between those and something that's just plain tobacco (I try to always smoke additive-free cigarettes, no point in making something like that even more dangerous). But it's still something like 25% of the population smokes, and one in four just seems like an awful lot of the population to raise the middle finger to, figuratively speaking.

I do get the creative bit, the best impromptu ash tray is the big aluminium drink bottles that "Jolt" used to come in, now I think some of those battery-acid-tasting energy drinks come in them; they're the ones that look like a cylinder of refrigerant and have a twist-off aluminium top. They're gas-tight and you can even fit a whole cigar in one, if you've been unlucky enough to buy/be given a truly awful cigar. Which I was. I turned 18 and promptly bought the cheapest cigar in the Mobil Oil in downtown Lowell. It wasn't very nice, let's just say.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Red_October_7000 posted:

Eh, I get that some people smell it, but I just don't. My dad has always smoked, so I grew up around it. I have to get my nose down in an ash tray to really get the smell of it, and even that doesn't really bother me. Now if someone's smoking nasty-rear end cheap cigarettes, I can tell the difference between those and something that's just plain tobacco (I try to always smoke additive-free cigarettes, no point in making something like that even more dangerous). But it's still something like 25% of the population smokes, and one in four just seems like an awful lot of the population to raise the middle finger to, figuratively speaking.

I do get the creative bit, the best impromptu ash tray is the big aluminium drink bottles that "Jolt" used to come in, now I think some of those battery-acid-tasting energy drinks come in them; they're the ones that look like a cylinder of refrigerant and have a twist-off aluminium top. They're gas-tight and you can even fit a whole cigar in one, if you've been unlucky enough to buy/be given a truly awful cigar. Which I was. I turned 18 and promptly bought the cheapest cigar in the Mobil Oil in downtown Lowell. It wasn't very nice, let's just say.

The big rockstars still come in those cans, and yeah they do make perfect car ashtrays. What I really don't understand is people who smoke in the car with all the windows up. That poo poo is just weird.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sudo Echo posted:

The big rockstars still come in those cans, and yeah they do make perfect car ashtrays. What I really don't understand is people who smoke in the car with all the windows up. That poo poo is just weird.

When I smoked, I did that poo poo once or twice due to rain (Florida summer downpour, not the kind of light drizzle you can put up with for a few minutes.) Quickly decided "gently caress it, I'll just wait a few minutes."

Before I quit, I got to a point where I'd smoke like a fiend at work or hanging out with friends, but I could go for 2-hour car rides without lighting up. Just not worth the hassle.

Plus speaking as a former smoker, quit for a year and sniff a heavy smoker's car and tell me that poo poo doesn't smell. It cannot be conveyed how much you get used to it until you stop and your sense of smell comes back.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I quit 9 years ago. I'll still smoke if I'm really drunk, but otherwise it doesn't appeal to me. (:420: on the other hand... eh, few times a week)

That said, when I bought my car it had a little bit of a new car scent in it (despite being 7 years old). I was a bit surprised to find a few cigarette burns a couple of weeks later, especially since it doesn't have an ashtray of any kind. I guess someone ran an ozone machine in it at some point.

I can smell a heavy smoker's car when I walk past it in a parking lot; I gag if I have to sit in one now.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I know you want a Biturbo but you may consider this fine alternative: http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4508443772.html

blk fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 7, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pffft, that's a Cavalier with chrome, mechanical parts are everywhere. Too easy.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
No pictures released, and not even available to purchase yet! They're really building the hype on this one.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

blk posted:

I know you want a Biturbo but you may consider this fine alternative: http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4508443772.html

I'll second the "meh". It would be much, much better if it had the stick; I understand that the combo of the V-6 and the stick made it rather spritely, or at least a far cry from the horrid pig that the 3-speed 4-cyl jobs were.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still keeping my eye on the $1600 Biturbo in Fife that's been for sale for about a year. It's gonna happen, it's just a matter of coming up with the funds.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
13 INCH DICKSTARTER

Help make the world's first crowdfunded torture campaign become a reality for one foolish brave man.

Rewards:
$25 - 13 INCH's 13 Month calendar, with a sexy shot of 13" splayed over a different engine bay every month

$50 - 13" Nightmare Pig replica (soul not included)

$150 - 13" will smoke a natural material of your choosing!

$500 - A box of spiders, signed by 13". Also a mention on Twitter

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

este posted:

13 INCH DICKSTARTER

Help make the world's first crowdfunded torture campaign become a reality for one foolish brave man.

Rewards:
$25 - 13 INCH's 13 Month calendar, with a sexy shot of 13" splayed over a different engine bay every month

$50 - 13" Nightmare Pig replica (soul not included)

$150 - 13" will smoke a natural material of your choosing!

$500 - A box of spiders, signed by 13". Also a mention on Twitter

You forgot to include a paypal where I can send my $500 to.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
You need to add a $1000 tier: you get to send a box of spiders to 13". And he smokes them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I bet we could get 1k for him to smoke a box of spiders.

• Locked thread