Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

ThinkTank posted:

Capitalizing on turnovers is how a large portion of goals are scored in the NHL. Defences and goaltenders are so good that, unless you can pounce on a mistake, you're not going to do too well.

Yeah, it's a dangerous rabbit hole to go down because you can dial back any goal far enough to find someone on one team or the other making a mistake that lead to it getting in the net. Whether it's a defensive assignment breakdown, someone mishandling a puck, a bad pass, a blown edge, whatever. Even pucks off skates and legs aren't just "blind luck" because teams are firing pucks into the crease for the express purpose of looking for those pinball bounces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Voynov may have kicked it into his own net, but he really shouldn't have been in a position where he was forced to desperately race back to stop an attacker while on the PP.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Overwined posted:

^^^ How many times did Hagelin make the Kings look like fools last night when he busted out of the zone?

About the same number of times Marleau, Couture and Pavelski did and they're all better than Hagelin.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Who knew comparing LA to Buffalo and ratings chat would be LAS' rallying cry.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ok, it makes a lot of sense to limit the proximate cause analysis of goals because then otherwise it would be a giant mess but I'm still wondering why Tailored Sauce made a comment about the avoidability of Stepan's giveaway if the large majority of goals is made on one's ability to capitalize on a mistake? I mean are there mistakes and then MISTAKES and if so did Stepan commit the latter (still not sure what Stepan did)?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Furious Lobster posted:

Ok, it makes a lot of sense to limit the proximate cause analysis of goals because then otherwise it would be a giant mess but I'm still wondering why Tailored Sauce made a comment about the avoidability of Stepan's giveaway if the large majority of goals is made on one's ability to capitalize on a mistake? I mean are there mistakes and then MISTAKES and if so did Stepan commit the latter (still not sure what Stepan did)?

This isn't hard, dude. Just as capitalizing on other's mistakes is a skill, so too is limiting your own. There are parts of the ice that are particularly dangerous at different times, but sufficed to say the closer you are to your own net, the more a turnover is going to hurt you. Stepan gave the puck away at the absolute wrong time and it cost him. What DyneAvenger said sort of applies here, but sometimes it's a clearcut case of: If you didn't do X, then Y wouldn't have happened. And that's what happened with Stepan and I'll say to a lesser degree the Doughty giveaway. And I say to a lesser degree because he gave the puck away in his offensive zone and there was a lot more ice between the Ranger and the net whereas Stepan gave it away right in his own back yard.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Overwined posted:

The Kings simply don't have an answer for the speed of the Rangers. When the Rangers were using it (via good puck possession and capitalizing on turnovers) the Kings had to make risky borderline penalties to counter. There are at least 3 dudes on the Rangers faster than any dude on the Kings, save Gaborik who will likely only use his speed offensively.

Holding them to 2 shots in a whole period doesn't count as "an answer"? Do you think AV said to them before the start of the period "okay guys, NOW stop going fast. That'll really mess with their heads!"?

Apparently New York is suddenly the only team in the NHL with fast players and Chicago and San Jose were just a bunch of loving pikers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VJeff posted:

Apparently New York is suddenly the only team in the NHL with fast players and Chicago and San Jose were just a bunch of loving pikers.

It was somewhat amusing to watch how closely the pattern of game 1 matched games 2 and 3 of the series against Chicago. The Kings only get better as the game wears on, almost like they're giving up possession to let the other team wear themselves out.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

Furious Lobster posted:

Overwined dove into it specifically, but honestly it's not just that "our mistakes were less mistake-y than their mistakes" or whatever. He's commenting on NYR's poo poo because he's a Rangers fan and is viewing it through the scope of what his team did and/or didn't do well. It's not an indictment on the Kings, per se, just a fan talking about his team and going "aw shucks, that was a bad goal to give up".

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Furious Lobster posted:

Still really new about hockey so foot-in-mouth statements otherwise, if the subject is avoidable goals, wouldn't the two goals by the Rangers also fall into that category? Doughty made a turnover that shouldn't have happened and the other goal was a misfortunate bounce/deflection? off of Voynov's skate that would have been a save otherwise. Looking back at the game, it seemed like the Rangers' goals were by chance or a rare mistake from a fairly good player and nothing really happened because of their skills or abilities.

When I said "avoidable" it was within the context of the Rangers' inability to get out of the zone with better passing. Stepan had some time to make a better pass but gave it up, resulting in the goal.

The Rangers' two goals were not luck, they jumped on a mistake made by the Kings and took advantage of the play. All of that happened because of their skills and abilities, we've seen Hagelin do this the entire playoffs.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
This is kind of funny: https://nplusonemag.com/online-only/my-life-and-times/stanley-cup-preview/

Especially this part:

quote:

Kopitar lives off of the siphoned vigor of other teams’ best players. Imagine a spread cape, enveloping you. That’s Kopitar. He is, for all intents and purposes, undead, unkillable, and unloved. The team he leads is likewise.

The only man who could have vanquished him—Jonathan Toews—was himself vanquished in the previous round. Toews. He of the Lincolnian chops, who skates as though made entirely out of stovepipes. Toews is the least-articulated superstar athlete in the world. Vanquished, he walked into a small, bare closet on Monday morning, shut the door—and there he will stay, unblinking, until the fall.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

It's an apt description, Kopitar looks like loving Dracula.

Re: NY Speed Advantage, it sure was scary to see those breakaways. However, I think the Kings will adjust. They always do. They may not be able to eliminate the risk completely, but they'll find a way to manage it to a reasonable level. Tightening up the passing is step one. Their puck movement was shakier than it was against Chicago.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

xzzy posted:

It was somewhat amusing to watch how closely the pattern of game 1 matched games 2 and 3 of the series against Chicago. The Kings only get better as the game wears on, almost like they're giving up possession to let the other team wear themselves out.

Agree 100% with this part. I've seen it the whole playoffs, Kings know how to build momentum throughout a game like it is an art.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Agree 100% with this part. I've seen it the whole playoffs, Kings know how to build momentum throughout a game like it is an art.

The media grabbed on to the unkillable cockroach analogy but I prefer to call them a horde of zombies for this very reason :v:

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

The Casualty posted:

You're thinking of the wrong Big Wangs. That's the original, and it looks like a crusty dive bar inside. The one I go to is in Noho

Nay, I'm thinking of the right one. Across from the Federal, next to Panda Express. Still garbage! /wings chat

Also, this Scott Niedermayer/Drew Doughty career comparison is pretty eye opening and apt. Both played under coaches who removed the ability to make defensively risky moves to engineer scoring opportunities. Scott also didn't win the Norris until age 30 (thanks Lidstrom), and Doughty already has 2 Olympic gold medals and is knocking on the door of his 2nd Stanley Cup at age 24.

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 5, 2014

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

This is actually a pretty great write up ahahha

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That was great

quote:

Jonathan Quick, Los Angeles, #32
He tends goal with the careening gusto and coltish glee of an origin-story teenager who’s just discovered his superpowers. Sometimes, after impossible saves, he just looks at his upturned hands.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Foodchat during the finals, you two should be ashamed. :colbert:

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

VJeff posted:

Foodchat during the finals, you two should be ashamed. :colbert:

Our cities, our teams, our rulez. :colbert:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Tailored Sauce posted:

When I said "avoidable" it was within the context of the Rangers' inability to get out of the zone with better passing. Stepan had some time to make a better pass but gave it up, resulting in the goal.

The Rangers' two goals were not luck, they jumped on a mistake made by the Kings and took advantage of the play. All of that happened because of their skills and abilities, we've seen Hagelin do this the entire playoffs.

Eh, they're not lucky goals in that they deflected off the ref's HOCKEY rear end or something, but they also don't seem like the type of goals you look at and say "if we keep playing like that, we have a chance this series." Two fairly flukey breakaways -- one with the Kings' last D (Muzzin?) just totally wiping out and not putting any back-pressure on Pouliot, and one with and own-SHG after a save. I mean yeah, Voynov shouldn't have been in the position to put in an own goal, but still -- if I'm a rangers fan, scoring those two goals doesn't do a lot for my confidence, especially given that they came early in game before the kings looked like they 'woke up'. i think the rangers look dangerous as hell on fast break odd man rushes/breakaways, but that makes me uneasy in the same way that the Pens PP success made me uneasy -- pretty risky to rely on to win games.

that said, i'm not saying there's no chance that the Kings DON'T tighten up like they did in the 2nd and especially 3rd periods in subsequent games and NYR keeps generating/capitalizing on these chances -- it's just not something i would bet on.

two of the kings goals also came almost directly from turnovers, and i think girardi's was pretty lucky/flukey for the kings. but i don't agree with Overwined that stepan's giveaway was worse than doughty's because it was in the kings o-zone -- if you have to choose between an uncontested breakaway starting in the neutral zone or a bad angle shot with traffic near the goal line, i think you'd probably choose the breakaway every time. IMO stepan's turnover was more a result of good forechecking than anything

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

MaoistBanker posted:

Nay, I'm thinking of the right one. Across from the Federal, next to Panda Express. Still garbage! /wings chat
Then why recommend a place that's closer to the old one :argh:. I'll be honest, I don't go anywhere for their wings, I just want a good place to watch the game. I will have to check Ye Rustic Inn out sometime though, I've been to Fred62 a bunch for late-night grub but never even heard of that spot, and it's right around the corner.

Back on the topic of hockey, have 15 minutes of the best of Darryl Sutter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1umjn9m_Rc

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 5, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yea but what are the bathrooms like?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stickarts posted:

Yea but what are the bathrooms like?

Toilets are way too small for hockey asses.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

That looked like a fine game that wasn't really dominated by either team (it did go to overtime after all and I don't think the shot differential was a big deal since a lot of those didn't look threatening) and I won't start panicking until the Rangers get blown out on Saturday. They've had some stinkers in the playoffs for sure but they've also shown some resilience and have played pretty well since the halfway point of the second round. I certainly don't share the sentiments that we're in for a sweep/blowout though the Kings probably will win the series. I think the Rangers likely keep things competitive and given the nature of the playoffs (and just watching the game) I don't see how anyone could completely write off any team in the cup finals so early/easily. Lest we forget that the Rangers seem to love playing from behind and they love game 7s, Kings 2014 playoffs notwithstanding.

Also some of you in KAS seem very assured of victory here. That's just bad form. Where's the hand wringing and calls to blow up the team when your dumb and bad goalie gives up a softie? For shame. Must be a western conference thing? smh.

e: what the heck is this? talk about hockey you knuckleheads. despite what you think the series is not over yet and this is not the offseason thread!!!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Anaheim and San Jose and some of Chicago's players are all really fast. The Rangers should probably convert that skating fast into shots on goal if they want to win this series.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Habibi posted:

Some sore rear end winners in KAS today.

It's not even KAS, it's bitter rear end people that are racing each other to write the rangers obituary.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
KAS is like 5 guys and a Red Wings fan.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
a bloo bluh bluh everyone thinks the Kings are better than the team I like and will probably win handily, they're all just bitter losers

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

canuckanese posted:

a bloo bluh bluh everyone thinks the Kings are better than the team I like and will probably win handily, they're all just bitter losers

Yeah man the Kings totally won handily, I'm just a crying baby. :jerkbag:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

canuckanese posted:

That comma should be a period. They're 2 independent thoughts.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Austrian mook posted:

Anaheim and San Jose and some of Chicago's players are all really fast. The Rangers should probably convert that skating fast into shots on goal if they want to win this series.

Why shoot when you have almost endless other options? Like letting the defender knock the puck away, trying for too many passes, pulling a move that makes you lose your handle on the puck? I mean, the Rangers could go on for days

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yea I think the Rangers were trying to get a little too cute with their passing and as we saw, it bit them in the rear end. Stepan's gently caress up was completely avoidable and we've seen Girardi bury himself like he did last night before so that's nothing new.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Rangers did a really good job of having the puck just as much as the Kings, except they didn't do anything when they had it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

canuckanese posted:

The Rangers did a really good job of having the puck just as much as the Kings, except they didn't do anything when they had it.

That's the Quick factor. He's got an intimidating pose, you just can't teach this stuff!

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

AngryBooch posted:

KAS is like 5 guys and a Red Wings fan.

No no, a hot wings fan.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

KAS is right, this series is over. I'm going to phone the Rangers right now to pack it in and fly home.

[edit: going to prep a fine plate of hot wings for them as consolation]

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

The Casualty posted:

No no, a hot wings fan.

to be fair, frank's is a kind of reddish color

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

also i really don't know if anyone but Kite is saying a sweep is inevitable, and he's basically Western Conference Duro. RAS has a weird persecution complex going on. y'all are the underdogs and an inferior team to LA in every facet except goaltending, but y'all are also far from being a Bad Team which means there's always a chance you can win the series right up until you lose it. for LA to beat NY, LA just has to keep playing as well as they've been playing. for NY to beat LA, NY has to start really outperforming themselves or hope that LA's play drops off. yeah, it's possible that the latter happens, but as someone who doesn't really care who wins the cup*, i definitely would not bet on NY

*on the one hand, gently caress NYR for being divisional rivals who knocked the pens out, but on the other hand, i hate them much less than PHI, or BOS, or even NJ, and i like seeing different teams win the cup, so it's really a wash

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I would like for the Rangers to win, I just don't think they will. They are outclassed in every department except goaltending, and even that can be questionable if Quick turns on hockey-Jesus mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The Rangers just aren't capable of those period-long "gently caress You" stretches that the Kings go on every now and again.

• Locked thread