Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

crankdatbatman posted:

e: I mean for what it is it's entertaining, but I don't think it's the entire generation that loves it are much more than a kids cartoon with the irony meter dialed up a bit.

that was too much effort for me but your post was the easiest

Popular Thug Drink posted:

its deep for a kids show but some legal adults confuse being a mental child with being an actual child

oh and you just said it, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's difficult to get seriously into adventure time because I don't find any of the characters all that sympathetic or interesting. And there's very little humor to make up for it.

It's a crazy, creative show with a lot of stuff going on. I can enjoy the stream-of-consciousness world of AT when it's on but I don't go out of my way to catch new episodes because the way they write the protagonists makes it difficult to emotionally invest in anything--yet they try to write emotion-heavy episodes. What I've learned from anime is that emotion-heavy episodes based around characters I don't care about are always a slog.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I hate the style of animation where people don't have elbows

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
well reasoned critique incoming:

it is silly and funny and I like it

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Copley Depot posted:

I hate the style of animation where people don't have elbows

All these Cartoon Network people went to the same art school, IIRC, so they all basically learned from some dude that elbows are apparently the anti-Christ of comedy, much like how Japanese people seem to think that someone in an anime with a nose cannot be cute.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
haha, its pretty fun and good, no wonder both kids and grown-ups find stuff they like in it

oh poo poo i am sorry heres my real post:

this show is proof that the friend of the family and the jew have finally loving won
its over
the thule-seed is dead
hail gay satan

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

it's a kid show. it's just a really good (for the most part, although i'm bored of it's "mythology". )kids show.

if you're gonna like a kid show, loving own up to liking a kid show.

No it isn't. Maybe like just hit puberty kids , but not the kind of kids the show pretends to be for

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Ignoarints posted:

No it isn't. Maybe like just hit puberty kids , but not the kind of kids the show pretends to be for

hahaha

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Guns don't kill people.

I do.
This isn't scientific but my 6 & 3 year old kids love the gently caress out of adventure time. It is totally a kid show.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Ignoarints posted:

lmbo

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

you can't blame japan for anime fans, because as we've seen with poo poo like this show and MLP the west is perfectly capable of producing these people without anime

and the latest episode was really bad, you can practically hear Pendleton Ward jerking off about how many layers of the almighty subtext he stuffed into it

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
adventure time is emotionally safe kiddie crap to entertain children that tells you absolutely nothing about life except adolescent irony and a few references to sex. every socially stunted gen-Yer who enjoys it should be ashamed

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

SunAndSpring posted:

All these Cartoon Network people went to the same art school, IIRC, so they all basically learned from some dude that elbows are apparently the anti-Christ of comedy, much like how Japanese people seem to think that someone in an anime with a nose cannot be cute.

the first time I watched Attack on Titan and saw the blonde girl had an actual eastern european nose it blew my drat mind

I mean look at this thing

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Naerasa posted:

the first time I watched Attack on Titan and saw the blonde girl had an actual eastern european nose it blew my drat mind

I mean look at this thing

definitely not for kids

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
this show is still good and stuff also that arm totally orgasmed lol cool. Since people talked about animes; I've never watched an anime, how do I get started? Do I want to? no?

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
I like the cartoon Mission Hill

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

mng posted:

this show is still good and stuff also that arm totally orgasmed lol cool. Since people talked about animes; I've never watched an anime, how do I get started? Do I want to? no?

well understand that being cartoons/comics animes are in large part for children and/or manchildren. if you want to watch good childrens' anime watch FMA Brotherhood and maybe like One Piece. as an adult, Watanabe's stuff like Space Dandy, Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop are very good. there are lot more good adult-ish action animes but he is one of the best. FLCL is a really good coming of age story i think does what adventure time is trying to do except more successfully. Utena is supposedly a very good girls' coming of age story but i've never seen it and it's also supposedly sort of a trainwreck. if you want comedy watch Cromartie High School, there are many more but with most of the rest of those shows it really depends on how much kawaii schoolgirl you're willing to tolerate, watch Nichijou and/or K-on if you want to find out

basically here you go

http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=New%3F

edit: oh yeah also miyazaki

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 7, 2014

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

mng posted:

icantfindaname posted:

well understand that being cartoons/comics animes are in large part for children and/or manchildren. if you want to watch good childrens' anime watch FMA Brotherhood and maybe like One Piece. as an adult, Watanabe's stuff like Space Dandy, Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop are very good. there are lot more good adult-ish action animes but he is one of the best. FLCL is a really good coming of age story i think does what adventure time is trying to do except more successfully. Utena is supposedly a very good girls' coming of age story but i've never seen it and it's also supposedly sort of a trainwreck. if you want comedy watch cromartie high school, there's much more but with most of the rest of those shows it really depends on how much kawaii schoolgirl you're willing to tolerate, watch nichijou and/or k-on if you want to find out

basically here you go

http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=New%3F

In case you didn't want to read all that I can paraphrase for you.

No.

naem
May 29, 2011

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Hobohemian posted:

In case you didn't want to read all that I can paraphrase for you.

No.

cool

Nog
May 15, 2006

ultimate manchild honeypot thread

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

The Whole Internet posted:

It's difficult to get seriously into adventure time because I don't find any of the characters all that sympathetic or interesting. And there's very little humor to make up for it.

It's a crazy, creative show with a lot of stuff going on. I can enjoy the stream-of-consciousness world of AT when it's on but I don't go out of my way to catch new episodes because the way they write the protagonists makes it difficult to emotionally invest in anything--yet they try to write emotion-heavy episodes. What I've learned from anime is that emotion-heavy episodes based around characters I don't care about are always a slog.

I think you pretty much nailed why I've never cared for it much. Bearing in mind I've seen a grand total of maybe four episodes. If a show has no likeable characters then they need to at least be interesting and Adventure Time has neither. It's well made for what it is but the characters are all sort of jerks.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Fandyien posted:

i like it tok OP the art is pretty and it makes me laugh when i smoke weed. unironically.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
flame princess was horrible. there i said it.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I've watched a few episodes, and it seems like every one had some dark symbolism or connotations in it, but then it also has fart gags and people saying the words poop and butt.

Basically it seems like a show that loving resents having to be a childrens show. Yet the fact that it is a kids show is the only reason it's not absolutely unwatchable (see the other series the creater has up on youtube)

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

icantfindaname posted:

and the latest episode was really bad, you can practically hear Pendleton Ward jerking off about how many layers of the almighty subtext he stuffed into it

Um I think you'll find it was an exceptional episode because of all the phallic symbolism.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/adventure-time-breezy-205476

I want SMG and the AV club reviewer to both watch the same episode and then have a 40 page thread debating which is more relevant to this kids cartoon, penises or zizek.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

abigserve posted:

Yet the fact that it is a kids show is the only reason it's not absolutely unwatchable (see the other series the creater has up on youtube)

Ward is not as involved in the show as you seem to think.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Ork of Fiction posted:

Ward is not as involved in the show as you seem to think.

Really? I've only watched like 5-6 episodes and then heard about it "on the line" so I just assumed he is like the creative director or something

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i enjoy shows for children that have just enough reference to cocks and pussies and assholes that i can say "oh man how did i not notice this stuff when i was a kid????"

wait no i dont because im an adult

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Adventure Time is this generations Ren and Stimpy

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Alexzandvar posted:

counter point

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Probably posted already but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eO5U_uN7DQ

The one I meant to post https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zalYJacOhpo

Theres more of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPPEdZ-rFBw

The Alchemist fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 7, 2014

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Any episode with Magic Man is pretty great

WHAT A JERK

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Adventure Time used to be good, but now it is not, or perhaps I have become less of a manchild. It's 20+ year old dedicated fanbase is awful. Well, bye.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Adventure Time used to be good, but now it is not, or perhaps I have become less of a manchild. It's 20+ year old dedicated fanbase is awful. Well, bye.

Both are correct. There have been a few good episodes recently but it's been coasting on its past success.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Unguided posted:

Both are correct. There have been a few good episodes recently but it's been coasting on its past success.

I watched one episode after not having seen the show in a while and it was all about the wacky ineffectual comedy relief villain's ~*tragic backstory*~ and I haven't watched it since.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

the ice king was my favorite character because he basically represents the show's adult fanbase in that he's a gigantic loser manchild with absolutely nothing going for him. when they tried turning him into a sympathetic character by making him a tragic figure in the show's bullshit lore that's when they started losing me. anyway there's my adventure time opinion. peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Fat Ogre posted:

Speaking of...

I got a probation from AATREK for trolling an Adventure time thread over this

Getting probated by Aatrek is probably the universe's way of proving you aren't a creepy fat weirdo

• Locked thread