Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Please understand, the name of the game is the game. What more could you want? Oh, Nester!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Come on guys, this year it's all about the games. *gestures vacantly towards vast expanse of sun-bleached wastes across which reggie's voice echoes into eternity and reaching the ear of no being living or dead*

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I once took a public speaking class in college and I studied Reggie announcements and I ended up getting a D in that class

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

The_Frag_Man posted:

Maybe they got fired for taking too long to translate SMT4.

E: Also, what happened to Japanese companies never firing anyone? I'm sure that's been discussed in this thread.

It happens quite often and very few companies use a 'work for us forever' arrangement. However, we first have to talk about the culture of Japanese companies. While it's changed significantly during the 90s when the Japanese economy slowed down, there is a concept of being a 'lifetime employee.' They company will try to keep on through thick and thin. However, you might not have mobility within the company or have agree to an informal demotion if you screw up spectacularly (think Final Fantasy XIV 1.0).

Much of this concept is gone but it continues to have roots in many Japanese companies. There is actually pressure not to bounce around companies every few years in case your resume makes you come off as unable to fit within the company. So there is social pressure to stay within your company and not get kicked out.

For firing managers/designers who majorly screwed up, it usually tends to be very passive aggressive. The offending employees are pressured out without causing scandal through an informal demotion. They can be stripped of their power or forced onto inconsequential or dead end projects. It's what happened to Koji Igarashi who went from working on major projects to producing the Japanese localization of Scribblenauts before finally leaving Konami.

This is commonly referred to as as being 'window-seated.' It's a soft pressure to force them out of the company or prevent them stepping out of line again. If you watched the recently aired season of Mad Men, the stipulations on the new contract Don signed with the company's partners wouldn't be very different. They can even be directly told to come up with an elegant exit to avoid scandal and bad press if they botch a project and cost the company millions of dollars.

There are several reasons why a game developer would accept these terms. Most of the major Japanese publishers are downsizing and don't have job openings. They might not get poached by a rich mobile gaming company, such as GREE, if they lack the right resume or skill set. Venture capitalists are hard to come by in Japan. New Japanese Studios, such as Tango and Tokyo Vikings, are funded by Western publishers.

Laying off low-level employees who get caught in the crossfire is bit more straightforward with severance or support towards new employment. While we don't hear about it as frequently as with Western publishers, it's been occurring for the big Japanese publishers over the last generation. It usually is done quietly and you'll have to crawl Japanese message boards to find out what happened.

However, there are a few things to take into account, such as a psuedo non-compete clause. The Japanese government heavily subsidizes failing companies. Even if a company cuts an employees hours/freezes salary/takes away benefits, the government will step in to make up a significant portion of their hourly wage. So you end up with employees that may get saddled with dead end projects and create no valuable work but still be able provide for themselves and their family. It would be riskier for them to seek new employment with higher pay and better work opportunities than accept their current position.

So, it's a wacky situation where honesty and tough decision making would save everyone a lot of headache. As it is, you have the white collar equivalent of entire swathe of employees digging up a hole and then filing it again with the dirt they shoveled before staring over again.

This is a bit off topic but I'm very concerned with the amount of downsizing going on the Japanese gaming industry. Most of the job growth is occurring in mobile gaming companies. However, many of the smartphone companies are small and require a different skillset. Many openings for mobile games tend to be support roles, such as customer support/marketing/sales rather than game development. There simply aren't enough spots to go around for an industry full of highly skilled developers who specialize in traditional gaming.

A lot of talented people have effectively vanished from the Japanese game industry. Many members well-known development teams, such as Team Silent from Konami, are gone or entered an entirely new field. For example, Hiroki Kato, a designer for God Hand and Vanquish, now works as a farmer.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I have to say that this in particular:

Sunning posted:

For example, Hiroki Kato, a designer for God Hand and Vanquish, now works as a farmer.

struck me as absolutely goddamn hilarious for some reason.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

gay skull posted:

I once took a public speaking class in college and I studied Reggie announcements and I ended up getting a D in that class

sick burn on reggie right here

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

unimportantguy posted:

I have to say that this in particular:

struck me as absolutely goddamn hilarious for some reason.

This is awesome. Like he made the two most badass games ever, where else can you go from there.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Neo Rasa posted:

This is awesome. Like he made the two most badass games ever, where else can you go from there.

Truly a modern Cincinnatus of video game entertainment. :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I just bought a Wii u Mario kart 8 bundle. I haven't owned a console since the ps2/original Xbox. Have I made a huge mistake?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Yes.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

fknlo posted:

I just bought a Wii u Mario kart 8 bundle. I haven't owned a console since the ps2/original Xbox. Have I made a huge mistake?

Not at all. You get to select a free game after registering MK 8, I would suggest Pikmin 3 or Wind Waker HD. Then throw down for a copy of Super Mario 3D World, and congratulations, you've justified your purchase. I think you also get eShop credit with all this, too, so go buy Earthbound with it or something.

Just stick with a PC for everything else. Wii U is the only console you need.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

gay skull posted:

I'm sorry that you're bad at public speaking.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Cyra posted:

Not at all. You get to select a free game after registering MK 8, I would suggest Pikmin 3 or Wind Waker HD. Then throw down for a copy of Super Mario 3D World, and congratulations, you've justified your purchase. I think you also get eShop credit with all this, too, so go buy Earthbound with it or something.

this but get tropical freeze also if you like good games

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Also get Nintendo Land if you have friends, it is the best local multiplayer game.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

deadwing posted:

if you have friends

:smith:

Figured it was cheap enough and had a couple of games I'd dump a little time into to make it worth the purchase. And I do have my pc for SERIOUS games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Sarchasm posted:

The only force greater than Japanese isolationism and xenophobia is their lust for a better cell phone.

Then why are they buying iPhones? Hiyoooooooooo!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

greatn posted:

However I don't think there's four unannounced titles, that's a really dumb assumption to make. 4 video streams? 4 unannounced WiiU titles of course!
Well, we did see three unannounced Wii U titles last E3 (four if you count Art Academy Sketchpad).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ultigonio posted:

Well, we did see three unannounced Wii U titles last E3 (four if you count Art Academy Sketchpad).

Let me rephrase, it wouldn't be surprising for there to be four unannounced WiiU titles. I mean to assume those four streams are all unannounced WiiU titles is unlikely.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'm really interested to see more info on Yarn Yoshi. Epic Yarn was really underrated and it would be neat to see another game in that style

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

greatn posted:

Let me rephrase, it wouldn't be surprising for there to be four unannounced WiiU titles. I mean to assume those four streams are all unannounced WiiU titles is unlikely.

Oh, my mistake. Yeah, that's pretty unlikely. Last E3 was a huge middle finger to 3DS owners, but there were already a number of releases on the way. This year we've got a pretty empty release schedule for fall/winter, and they've even specifically announced that they're going to dedicate a huge amount of time to an unannounced 3DS game, anyway.

Austrian mook posted:

I'm really interested to see more info on Yarn Yoshi. Epic Yarn was really underrated and it would be neat to see another game in that style
Likewise. I just recently went and finished both of Good Feel's games on the Wii. Both timelessly gorgeous games. I'm curious to see what GF does with the fabric style mixed with the household setting.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Cyra posted:

Mind you, the Wii U gamepad does also work as a cheap alternative to display-fitted graphic tablets.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

All aboard the Nintendo of America E3 hype train!

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/474943852243976192

(the replies are amazing)

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Xtina, SHAQ, and Shaun_White sounds like the lame filler crew for Degeneration X.

Cyra posted:

I went into a store pretty convinced that it'd be stupid as gently caress to spend $350 on a lovely console when $50 gets a better one, realized I already owned most everything in the PS4 display, and walked out with Mario Kart. I feel like an utter moron buying a console a week before E3, but on the other hand.

The absolute best part is that it's impossible to convey into words how loving horrible the Wii U eShop is. It's worse than the 3DS one and I can't think of anything else to say because holy poo poo. Also it's the most barren desolate depressing store I've ever seen and I've been in a Sears on the side of an abandoned mall.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The Wii U is literally the only next gen console that's worth purchasing, and its garbage.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The Wii U is literally the only next gen console that's worth purchasing, and its garbage.

Is that too long for a thread title? It's a really good thread title.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yeah, I know I've been very critical of Nintendo in this thread, but this is the absolute truth. When I realized that pretty much everything comes out on Steam, and I can build a top of the line gaming PC for right around $1000, the PS4 and XBOX One look less and less appealing.

They're going to have to drop the price of the Wii U by a lot for me to jump into it any time soon, but I could see myself buying it before the PS4 or XBOX One.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It's amazing how little reason they have to exist when you consider how old the previous gen was. You'd think there were all these new demanding game types that devs just hadn't had the hardware available for (like GTA3 on the PS2) that they'd be going nuts with right now. Instead we're getting Assassin's Smartphone, prettier Forza, and HD phone games.

Maybe it's time to finally go back outside.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I played melee all weekend. I want to play melee but on Steam. I would pay $50 for it full price.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

It's amazing how little reason they have to exist when you consider how old the previous gen was. You'd think there were all these new demanding game types that devs just hadn't had the hardware available for (like GTA3 on the PS2) that they'd be going nuts with right now. Instead we're getting Assassin's Smartphone, prettier Forza, and HD phone games.

Maybe it's time to finally go back outside.

They are at the start of the current console generation. Publishers are not eager to jump all-in on next-generation development because there are fewer than 10 million next-gen console owners combined (and that was unexpectedly good) while there are significantly greater numbers of PS3/360 owners to cater to. The install base is growing rapidly enough that 'next-gen' games will probably start arriving quickly but development takes time and most of the games coming out now or in the next year were made with the assumption of cross-generation play.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 8, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Don't forget that Xbox 360's launch games were, like, King Kong: The Movie and Tony Hawk's American Wasteland.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Quest For Glory II posted:

Don't forget that Xbox 360's launch games were, like, King Kong: The Movie and Tony Hawk's American Wasteland.

I think you mean Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll have you know Gun was a fantastic game that really showed off the power of the X-Box 360.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Count me in the "Good PC + Wii U" crowd. Though for people talking about how expensive the Wii U is, you know you can get a Refurbished Deluxe with NintendoLand for $200? I don't think I would have gotten the system for $350, but with Mario Kart 8 and Super 3D World both $15 off from Target this week I got the system and those 3 games for less than $300 - plus the free game for Mario Kart (going for Pikmin 3) and whatever I'm going to get with the eShop credits.

So that's the system and about half a dozen games for ~$300. I think that's pretty good bang for the buck.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's so bad about the WiiU eShop? I've never had any trouble finding what I was looking for or making purchases, the categories are divided well, each games page has a nice description and trailer.

The 3DS one is terrible, I don't know how you could say it is better. It loads extremely slow, takes forever to exit, the layout is terrible, you can only background download with the system asleep. The keyboard is even worse.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The difference is all the "exciting games" aren't out until 2015+ and most of them look like garbage. At least the 360 had Chromehounds and dead rising less than a year later. PS3 had uncharted less than a year later as well. There is nothing worth owning on either until 2015. Mario Kart is the most impressive looking console game in years and it doesn't even do antialiasing.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
The Wii U now has enough software, but like all Nintendo systems it does not have enough software coming. Thing's gonna gather dust like a motherfucker once you've played what exists.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Cyra posted:

It's pretty telling how poo poo all consoles are if these days a several hundred dollar purchase is "justified" by four games maximum.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Hobo Siege posted:

The Wii U now has enough software, but like all Nintendo systems it does not have enough software coming. Thing's gonna gather dust like a motherfucker once you've played what exists.

Hopefully they can handle a new release every month, but I doubt it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

seizure later posted:

It's pretty telling how poo poo all consoles are if these days a several hundred dollar purchase is "justified" by four games maximum.

Well, as other people pointed out, PS4 and XBOX One only being a couple months old and it's pretty standard to have the first 12-18 months be pretty lean in terms of software. If this time next year, PS4 and XBOX One are still lean on titles, then there's an issue. The problem is that Wii U is at the point where it should be ramping up, and as far as anyone can tell, it's stagnating.

Edit: And the 3DS had a good past year or two, but it's starting to stagnate as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The state of PC gaming is pretty dire to, I can't think of much coming in the next couple of months, not to mention all the unoptimized console ports.

• Locked thread