Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
I played a game as Austria and I didn't realize that I could have sphered all the German cultured nations in bizarre places to annex them when I formed Germany. Although Hamburg is the only one that's conveniently placed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
By the way, after we retake Mexico City, I'm totally save-editing our capital there (because it turns us into a New World country and we get the benefit of mega-immigration and it'll make us ridiculously powerful).

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Vicky 2 is 66% off on Steam now, if anyone's interested. However, the expansions aren't on sale and the expansions make the game playable.

I played another 20 years of Secret Denmark today. This campaign is actually surprisingly fun, just a pain and a half to write about.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Patter Song posted:

By the way, after we retake Mexico City, I'm totally save-editing our capital there (because it turns us into a New World country and we get the benefit of mega-immigration and it'll make us ridiculously powerful).

How many people emigrate from the Mexican Raj each month at the moment?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
OK guys, here's what's up. This Mexico Secret Denmark run is incredibly fun to play and terrible to write.

I've played up to 1860 and I'm halfway through retaking Mexico. My thought is continue playing until about 1870, finish retaking Mexico, do short (no frills) updates showing that, and then stopping the campaign there for the thread and just playing it for myself.

I just can't write about this world. Java in Anatolia was annexed by the Ottomans and then reappeared a few years later...in Java. I can barely keep this straight in my head.

I do want to do something else for this thread, though. I just want it to be a project I enjoy.

I've been toying with the idea of a campaign from the ordinary game from the 1861 start date, both because that inherently means a less daunting project and because no one's that familiar with that date. I was also considering showing off an unciv, but because most of those are thoroughly hosed in 1861 it narrows down the list a bit. If you guys are still interested, after I pump out an abbreviated Secret Denmark wrap-up, I was considering starting, maybe in a new thread, a V2 run from 1861 start as Persia. This would be new territory for me, as I've never done a campaign from 1861, but still familiar, as Persia is an old fallback of mine. Any interest in that?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'd definitely be interested in seeing both Persia and an 1861 start, since I haven't dipped my toe into 1861 since I managed to lose the American Civil War as the Union in Victoria 1.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

That would be interesting, yes. I've never played from the 1861 date before.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The only time I've played an entire Paradox game from start to finish was as Persia in Victoria 2, so I'm real interested to see just how much you'll outclass me at it :p

I've also never played a game from 1861 before except for a brief test to see if the Civil War was winnable as the Confederates which I quit as soon as I found out (yes, it is), so I'd like to see that start date too, see how much it changes everything.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

The only time I've played an entire Paradox game from start to finish was as Persia in Victoria 2, so I'm real interested to see just how much you'll outclass me at it :p

I've also never played a game from 1861 before except for a brief test to see if the Civil War was winnable as the Confederates which I quit as soon as I found out (yes, it is), so I'd like to see that start date too, see how much it changes everything.

Vicky 2 is the only Paradox game I ever actually play all the way through.

Although I've never gotten Persia to work out the way I want it to.

And the Civil war is totally winnable, it's just that the Union will constantly declare war on you forever.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Could you at least stop the Secret Denmark LP and do a quick show-through of Ultimate Vicky before starting a new LP? I can't seem to get it to play on my end. :sigh:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Could you at least stop the Secret Denmark LP and do a quick show-through of Ultimate Vicky before starting a new LP? I can't seem to get it to play on my end. :sigh:

Just loaded up the new, updated, v 0.35 to see if they fixed anything.

In the 1946 start date, the capital of the UK is in Belfast. There are also no people in Ireland. The capital of France is Dunkirk, the capital of Poland is Krakow, the capital of the USSR is Smolensk, and the capital of Austria is Innsbruck. The UK has a military of 0 ships and 4 brigades, which is still mighty compared to the completely unarmed Soviet Union. Either would be at the mercy of France and its 56 brigade army.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I want to see an honest-to-god successful Ottoman Empire game. Every single time you play as anyone else, they impotently disintegrate into their component parts. They start off as a giant blob but it must be a tougher start than you'd think.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

JT Jag posted:

I want to see an honest-to-god successful Ottoman Empire game. Every single time you play as anyone else, they impotently disintegrate into their component parts. They start off as a giant blob but it must be a tougher start than you'd think.

They actually finished this LP's world considerably bigger than they started, even if they actually had fewer pops in 1936 than 1836.

Ottomans start out with absurdly low literacy (7%) and that tends to keep them technologically backwards, the AI lacks the patience to reclaim its Egyptian land in one war and takes it piecemeal over several decades, and the Greeks never stop stirring up crises. Eventually the Young Turks get in power and whatever rudimentary industry the reactionaries have gotten running goes bankrupt because it can't compete without subsidies.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
My very first game of Victoria 2 was as the Ottomans and I wound up as like the number four Great Power, so I presume it can't be too hard for an actual player (as opposed to the AI) to salvage their situation.

I did spend a while as not even a Secondary Power in the early years, though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My Persia game I mentioned earlier had the Ottomans make a ton of powerful alliances and colonize the poo poo out of Africa (seriously, they must have had almost half the sub-Sahara) so they not only survived to the end but were like the number 10 or 11 power; not amazing but still a competitive force on the world stage. I was able to launch a few successful wars to steal Iraq when the Turks got worn down by the constant crisis wars the Europeans launched against them to free the Balkan states, but once international attention focused on China instead the Ottomans were able to completely block my western expansion.

So if the AI can do that I'd imagine a player could be pretty successful.

Although to be fair that one game was a huge aberration. In every other one they either crash and burn completely or quietly slide into irrelevancy.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
I had a PDM game as Japan where the OE was able to hold strong and even start pulling chunks of Egypt off of it after Britain had it in it's Sphere.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I played the Ottomans in Vanilla as well and as others have said a human player certainly was able to turn them into a prime power (I ended up challenging the UK in power) but it does involve tackling your literacy issues early.

The main thing I'd be worried about playing them now is something Patter Song touched on. The Ottomans (like Austria-Hungary) have shedloads of minorities and cores of other countries in their territories whcih can be used to trigger crises. Not having played them in AHD I don't know how much of an issue it ends up being though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Munin posted:

I played the Ottomans in Vanilla as well and as others have said a human player certainly was able to turn them into a prime power (I ended up challenging the UK in power) but it does involve tackling your literacy issues early.

The main thing I'd be worried about playing them now is something Patter Song touched on. The Ottomans (like Austria-Hungary) have shedloads of minorities and cores of other countries in their territories whcih can be used to trigger crises. Not having played them in AHD I don't know how much of an issue it ends up being though.

Crises are usually pretty tame. Normally they peter out into white peace or never even get to the point where GPs pick sides because nobody wanted to support the minor. And of course, if you're playing the Ottomans, you can just butter up to the Russians and be forever safe.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

In the cataclysmic lategame Great War that dismembered France and basically established the endgame balance of power (in the next Great War, Russia briefly climbed back to #8 and then got destroyed as well), my allies in Germany didn't even bother calling my Ottomans into the war, which annoyed me but shows how much you can just glide through crises as the Ottomans if you play your cards right (or wrong, in my case).

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Worth pointing out that, rather counterintuitively, the Ottomans are actually better off in 1861 than they are in 1836.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Decided to do a test-run of a few years as Persia in 1861 start to make sure I knew what I was getting into.

I saw one thing I've never seen before:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

What exactly are we looking at here? Even after reading the LP, I still am not very familiar with the interface.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

What exactly are we looking at here? Even after reading the LP, I still am not very familiar with the interface.

The Papal States is a reactionary presidential dictatorship rather than, you know, a theocracy. It probably got hit hard by reactionary rebels or something like that.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Technowolf posted:

The Papal States is a reactionary presidential dictatorship rather than, you know, a theocracy. It probably got hit hard by reactionary rebels or something like that.

welp

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Technowolf posted:

Although V2 abstracts them to an Absolute Monarchy in their normal state because V2 doesn't have Theocracy as a government.

Normally though any revolution should change their name to Roman Republic.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Technowolf posted:

It actually was annexed by Italy and force-released by France so took France's govtype. V2 for some reason represents Napoleon III's government as a Presidential Dictatorship rather than a monarchy (which would be accurate for 1848-1851, but...just...isn't by 1861).

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Instead of doing 1861, you could also give an alternate scenario like Divergences a try and show off uncivilized mechanics there.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Actually, rather than Persia I'd really like to see an attempt at creating Arabia. Granted that's probably not great for a 1861 start but Persia is just so...easy.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

With regards to the Ottomans, in my recent Egypt game the Ottomans were a GP almost up to 1900, colonised almost half of Africa, and they kept kicking my rear end so badly that just because I got tired of fighting them off every five years I cheated, loaded up as them and released all the possible states I could.

I don't know if thats because in the early game, when they declared war on me I just made peace for whatever state they wanted ASAP because I could see the writing on the wall and it just snowballed from there, but yeah, the Ottomans can do pretty well for themselves sometimes.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Zeron posted:

Actually, rather than Persia I'd really like to see an attempt at creating Arabia. Granted that's probably not great for a 1861 start but Persia is just so...easy.

I've never played much with Persia, but I have no idea how to get them to be above like a 6th ranked power. The population just doesn't seem to be there.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

theblastizard posted:

I've never played much with Persia, but I have no idea how to get them to be above like a 6th ranked power. The population just doesn't seem to be there.

"Take over China" seems to be the main strategy when the problem is POPs.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Speaking of Divergences and whacky gov type/nation name combinations,

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

theblastizard posted:

Speaking of Divergences and whacky gov type/nation name combinations,
[image]

I noticed that while playing a game myself; they don't seem to have a different name for differing government types. They spent most of my game as a democracy whilst still having the name of the Dual Monarchy. What would you even call a republic of an Anglo-French union of crowns, anyhow?

sureaboutthatthing
Oct 15, 2013

RubricMarine posted:

I noticed that while playing a game myself; they don't seem to have a different name for differing government types. They spent most of my game as a democracy whilst still having the name of the Dual Monarchy. What would you even call a republic of an Anglo-French union of crowns, anyhow?

A democracy is supposed to be called The United Republic, but in a recent patch the Dual Monarchy's tag was changed from FRA to DUA, which broke all the localisations, so it'll be called DM for every government type. (I wonder if it broke all the events associated with the DM as well?)

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zeron posted:

Forming Arabia in 1861 is...just not going to happen. Ottomans start out a lot stronger and Hedjaz starts out as an Ottoman satellite.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
The only uncivs i'd really put ahead of Persia are China and Japan. Population wise Persia is solidly a mid-tier nation overall, but if they manage to eat through Afghanistan and Panjab while uncivilized that puts them in a pretty drat good position when they finally civilize. I mean later they have the problem of bordering Russia, but the Ottomans are a great nation for mid/late game expansion against. 1861 Persia is in a much worse position granted, between 2.7 million Panjab being under British control and the Ottomans being significantly stronger. But if they eat what they can they'll still end up bigger than any other uncivs excepting China and Japan. And while it's literacy isn't anything amazing, it's not bad for an unciv and Afghanistan will add more.

Fair point on 1861 Arabia...it's just something that I'd really like to see. I guess I'll give it a try(in 1836), i've only failed twice before(Abu Dhabi, great lit awful pop, and Oman...which went great till France ate me. Frankly the combo of low overall pop and bordering a usually obsolete but still overall way stronger than you Ottomans is tough to beat. And that's assuming that the Europeans don't just randomly eat a chunk out of you.)

Zeron fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 10, 2014

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

How is Ethiopia these days? IIRC people used to be able to get some joy out of them in the past.

[edit] This is not a suggestion to change countries for the next game.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You should totally go for Babylon and become fascist because that flag is absolutely awesome.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zeron posted:

The only uncivs i'd really put ahead of Persia are China and Japan. Population wise Persia is solidly a mid-tier nation overall, but if they manage to eat through Afghanistan and Panjab while uncivilized that puts them in a pretty drat good position when they finally civilize. I mean later they have the problem of bordering Russia, but the Ottomans are a great nation for mid/late game expansion against. 1861 Persia is in a much worse position granted, between 2.7 million Panjab being under British control and the Ottomans being significantly stronger. But if they eat what they can they'll still end up bigger than any other uncivs excepting China and Japan. And while it's literacy isn't anything amazing, it's not bad for an unciv and Afghanistan will add more.

Fair point on 1861 Arabia...it's just something that I'd really like to see. I guess I'll give it a try(in 1836), i've only failed twice before(Abu Dhabi, great lit awful pop, and Oman...which went great till France ate me. Frankly the combo of low overall pop and bordering a usually obsolete but still overall way stronger than you Ottomans is tough to beat. And that's assuming that the Europeans don't just randomly eat a chunk out of you.)

Arabia's actually ridiculously easy to form if you play as Nejd in 1836, as I'm sure you know. Abu Dhabi doesn't have the people to do anything, Oman will get bullied early by Portugal, and Hedjaz are viable routes.

1861 is different for Persia because Panjab doesn't exist anymore (the Brits ate them up in the 1840s IRL) so after Afghanistan it's just "British India."

Munin posted:

How is Ethiopia these days? IIRC people used to be able to get some joy out of them in the past.

[edit] This is not a suggestion to change countries for the next game.

Jump Egypt while they're getting their asses kicked by the Ottomans, prosper.

EDIT: don't expect an update until a week from today at the earliest, I'll be travelling for a bit soon and my laptop is not coming with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Funky Valentine posted:

You should totally go for Babylon and become fascist because that flag is absolutely awesome.

You can't just say that and not post a picture.

• Locked thread