Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

onemillionzombies posted:

Giving the Rangers a power play was pretty much punishing them at that point.

A lot of us joke about the teams we cheer for being bad on the PP, so much so that they are better off declining them. Rags fans can say it pretty legitimately though, which is impressive. As a non-fan anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Anyone else looking forward to game 4 where the Rangers are down 0-3 in the series and Daniel Carcillo leads the Rangers to hoisting the cup with 10 goals in 4 games?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Shyfted One posted:

Anyone else looking forward to game 4 where the Rangers are down 0-3 in the series and Daniel Carcillo leads the Rangers to hoisting the cup with 10 goals in 4 games?

I would very much like this, yes.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Fart Amplifier posted:

You can mosey into the crease. Attacking players are allowed to be in the crease.

He wasn't "touched". He was checked/pushed directly towards the goal. The initial kick from his leg to Lundqvist is all that's really debatable as far as "reasonable effort to avoid goalie contact" can be concerned. After the kick King's leg is pinned behind the goalie pads and he is being pushed into the goalie. He cannot move away from the goalie at this point and trips.

There is no way to conclusively make this call, even with video review.

Mosey into the crease, on a course with their goalie, obstructing a shot on goal? No, even if you do get contacted by a defensemen. You're acting like King got thrown across the crease into the goalie, the rule is meant to allow positioning but it still doesn't give you a bump the goalie and stop his save for free card.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Re: Brad Richards, I feel like if the Rangers win the cup there's a pretty good chance he stays because Sather, but if they lose or God forbid get swept, I would think they toss what's left of his career into the East River for whatever dumb team wants to fish it out. I hope I am wrong and they both win the cup and send Richards to Toronto or something.

Also, what game were the refs watching last night!? rabble rabble

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

joeburz posted:

Mosey into the crease, on a course with their goalie, obstructing a shot on goal? No, even if you do get contacted by a defensemen. You're acting like King got thrown across the crease into the goalie, the rule is meant to allow positioning but it still doesn't give you a bump the goalie and stop his save for free card.

Oh come on. He wasn't on a course for the goalie until the collision. The overhead replay is very clear. You're totally misrepresenting what I said, which was also clear.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the GIF McDonagh comes in and makes initial contact diagonally away from the crease. The Kings player then seems to make sure to fall towards Lundqvist on that contact.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Aphrodite posted:

In the GIF McDonagh comes in and makes initial contact diagonally away from the crease. The Kings player then seems to make sure to fall towards Lundqvist on that contact.

I kind of agree with you. To me, it looks like King intentionally heads into the crease after the initial contact. Now I can understand why because he is trying to make a play, but it still doesn't mean he can contact the goalie and get away with it.

My real problem with it is that if you are going to call the Rangers for interference earlier in the game, then you have to call King for the interference on that play.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

Chicago had both a netting goal called against them

In the replay the netting didn't bounce, did someone do some sort of forensics and prove that it actually did hit the netting or what?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Doesn't matter because the Scrappy kings would've come back some other way

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

I think the Rangers are going to destroy the Kings in Game 3 at MSG. Game 4 is probably going to be the craziest (read: most controversial, scrappiest) game of the series.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Aphrodite posted:

Watch as Dwight King moves back, and to the left as he falls into Lundqvist...

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

There was a second defenseman in the crease. :monocle:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Obviously, Magneto was responsible.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Quick has pretty good magic puck luck, Magneto makes as much sense as anything for the Kings.

Zybl0re
Aug 10, 2002

I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SHIT!
Make NHL refs give post-game pressers so they can explain to everyone why they made whatever controversial call. I'm sure it would clear up a lot of things.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Zybl0re posted:

Make NHL refs give post-game pressers so they can explain to everyone why they made whatever controversial call. I'm sure it would clear up a lot of things.
Do this and then make Torts a ref.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Alright people, since I toxxed myself into using "Nazi-Fighting Hockey Nostradamus"* as my next title(and my playoff toxx is over since Montreal have been eliminated) I need a fancy image to go with the text. Död Snö 1 didn't use hockey equipment against nazis but I haven't seen Död Snö 2, anyone know if it's in that movie? Or any other fitting stuff?

*http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3625761&pagenumber=10&perpage=40#post430205097

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Rutkowski posted:

Do this and then make Torts a ref.

"No, you're a bad call, Jonesey! You gently caress!"

Cascul
Jan 27, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Because it is pretty hard to fall away from where you are being pushed. Rangers still had the lead after that goal and had the whole third, first OT and half of the second OT to make a goal and couldn't. Every game has some bad calls, just have to move on.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Zybl0re posted:

i liked 24/7 a few years back when it showed the refs room after a game with a controversial call and one guy said to the guy who made the call "yeah that was alright, i wouldnt have done it differently" then they slam some beers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSE5sV8V1WI

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Rutkowski posted:

Alright people, since I toxxed myself into using "Nazi-Fighting Hockey Nostradamus"* as my next title(and my playoff toxx is over since Montreal have been eliminated) I need a fancy image to go with the text. Död Snö 1 didn't use hockey equipment against nazis but I haven't seen Död Snö 2, anyone know if it's in that movie? Or any other fitting stuff?

What the gently caress, there's a sequel?

McDragon fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 9, 2014

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So I'm always interested in sports lines, especially in the playoffs. Seeing where the money is moving can tell you about the series, or at least what a broad spectrum of people expect to see happen. I just too this screenshot of the current series lines on a book:

I checked the same lines on Sunday morning and at that time the 3-4 (i.e. Rangers win in 7) paid 13.00 ($13 to every $1 wagered). Today it pays 8.50. That tells me that there are a lot of people who think the Rangers can come back and win this thing. Very interesting.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

HOW COULD YOU posted:

i liked 24/7 a few years back when it showed the refs room after a game with a controversial call and one guy said to the guy who made the call "yeah that was alright, i wouldnt have done it differently" then they slam some beers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSE5sV8V1WI

ahaha that's awesome

"EH BOYS"

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Yeah I don't know, for all the talk of the Kings being the team of cockroaches that keeps coming back, the Rangers have had a similar "get beaten within an inch of death and refuse to die" mentality for the past two months, although I think tonight is about as close to a must-win game as you can get if you have any hope to win the series.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Zybl0re posted:

They did this in the World Series once and it was the coolest loving thing.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zybl0re posted:

Refs are going to start demanding a hell of a lot more money if this turns into a thing. They aren't paid to be PR guys at the moment.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

Refs are going to start demanding a hell of a lot more money if this turns into a thing. They aren't paid to be PR guys at the moment.

If it means some accountability on their part it's well worth the money. As it is now, it's a joke.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Emetic Hustler posted:

If it means some accountability on their part it's well worth the money. As it is now, it's a joke.

They're human and make mistakes, but I've read reports that say they're usually pretty drat good at making the correct decision. I don't think it's fair putting a particular referee under the microscope for a bad call, they have a million things to pay attention to at any given time and calling them out for one thing they get a split second to look is pretty cruel.

I'm alright with expanded video review for things like goaltender interference so long as it doesn't slow the game down (I think giving the coaches one challenge each per game is a decent middle ground), but reviewing every scoring play for things that are essentially subjective will be just as controversial if not more so (see how much debate the King goal thing has caused here, how is the ref supposed to decide one way or another even if he's watching the replay?).

Refs do a tough job, but that's part of the game. I wouldn't want hockey called by perfect referee robots, because that would take some of the human element out of the game. If a team can't recover from one unfortunate instance going against them, it's their failing not the refs. In the long run these things balance out anyways.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

R-Lam with a real interesting statement on Puck Daddy today, which essentially broke down to if the Rangers didn't score 2 goals early each game, then this series wouldn't be a contest at all. Let me just give you the inverse of that: if the Kings didn't score 2 goals late each game, then this series wouldn't be a contest at all.

R-Lam is really dumb.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

I'm alright with expanded video review for things like goaltender interference so long as it doesn't slow the game down (I think giving the coaches one challenge each per game is a decent middle ground),

I support video review, but I'd like it to be similar to measuring an opposing player's stick.

If the review is conclusively against you, you get a delay of game penalty. If the replay is inconclusive or goes your way, you do not.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Loqieu posted:

R-Lam is really dumb.

Your goalie sucks and your team is only winning because they're so deep or their opponent sucks, but none of this has anything to do with your goalie because he sucks. Oh Lundqvist is getting lit up? This wouldn't be close at all if Quick didn't suck. Ryan Lambert signing off.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Let's all discuss our thoughts on rlam again.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
he sucks

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

If the review is conclusively against you, you get a delay of game penalty. If the replay is inconclusive or goes your way, you do not.

Perfect, I like that idea. Care to submit it to the competition committee for consideration?

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

They're human and make mistakes, but I've read reports that say they're usually pretty drat good at making the correct decision. I don't think it's fair putting a particular referee under the microscope for a bad call, they have a million things to pay attention to at any given time and calling them out for one thing they get a split second to look is pretty cruel.

I'm alright with expanded video review for things like goaltender interference so long as it doesn't slow the game down (I think giving the coaches one challenge each per game is a decent middle ground), but reviewing every scoring play for things that are essentially subjective will be just as controversial if not more so (see how much debate the King goal thing has caused here, how is the ref supposed to decide one way or another even if he's watching the replay?).

Refs do a tough job, but that's part of the game. I wouldn't want hockey called by perfect referee robots, because that would take some of the human element out of the game. If a team can't recover from one unfortunate instance going against them, it's their failing not the refs. In the long run these things balance out anyways.

I think reviewing every scoring play is a must. Most of the times it's nothing unclear about them and they move one, but when things like pucks bouncing of the netting and then gets whacked into the goal can't be reviewed because reasons, it's just silly, when it's clear that such a goal should not count. A lot of the whinging caused by dodgy goals has to do with the ambiguous rules too. But knowing the GMs and board of governors they will enact changes at a glacial pace and we'll get the improvement by around 2030.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
The difference in the series is clearly that not enough of the Rangers chose the correct brand of equipment :smith:

fancy stats posted:

Let's all discuss our thoughts on rlam again.
Sports radio on the internet :argh:

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I remember when r-lam posted here and had his twolinepass blog. Whenever somebody made an interesting point here, it would end up in his blog, unattributed.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Emetic Hustler posted:

I think reviewing every scoring play is a must. Most of the times it's nothing unclear about them and they move one, but when things like pucks bouncing of the netting and then gets whacked into the goal can't be reviewed because reasons, it's just silly, when it's clear that such a goal should not count. A lot of the whinging caused by dodgy goals has to do with the ambiguous rules too. But knowing the GMs and board of governors they will enact changes at a glacial pace and we'll get the improvement by around 2030.

I think reviewing every single scoring play would take too much time but instead of reviewing, hockey could follow football's example and use the new Goal Line techology that they're implementing in the World Cup this year just so there's a clear, captured moment of when the puck crosses the line. Even tennis, which is the ideal sport to allow for review because of the sheer number of stoppage breaks available, doesn't allow for every point to be looked at; it has a small, finite number of reviews available and the rest is made with human judgment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Aren't all those different hockey brands owned by the same company or two?

• Locked thread