Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daned
Jan 14, 2008

C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
C - We shall stand around and wait as none have ever stood around and waited before!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

our waiting shall break the world

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Ralith posted:

C - We shall stand around and wait as none have ever stood around and waited before!

Waiting, we have the patience of ten patient men.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
e:

Aades posted:

Maybe we should do some warm ups while we wait to get the Blood flowing. I prefer jumping jacks.

Fortune favors the prepared.

*Enkidel starts rehearsing an ever-growing script of questions*

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 9, 2014

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

Maybe we should do some warm ups while we wait to get the Blood flowing. I prefer jumping jacks.

Fortune favors the prepared.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

C Looks like that priest needed to spend a few more decades at the high temple in Baitel before being trusted on his own.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Diog, I know you're busy. Would you like a count done for this vote?

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
Whoa, a completely unanimous vote, good job everyone involved.

I vote B!

I'd like to amend my vote.
I want to get our armor on and wait alone, but I'd also like to wake the others, have them get their armor on and have them wait alone.

GloriousDemon fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 9, 2014

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Vavrek posted:

Diog, I know you're busy. Would you like a count done for this vote?

i think d won

GloriousDemon posted:

Whoa, a completely unanimous vote, good job everyone involved.

I vote B!

reporting this post for voting wrong

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Cause why not join the bandwagon.

I'm disappointed in no apocalyptic divine firestorm, but perhaps these guys will join our pilgrimage to make it even bigger and more ridiculous? By the time we reach Baitel we'll probably outnumber the actual city.

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat
c

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

C what they want.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
As an irrelevant aside, we did not experience Drip in the [???] Bucket upon delivering the message. This might mean that our task is somehow not completed, even though we delivered the message as per our Pledge. It could also mean a bunch of other things. Just wondering if we are job done here or not.

In fairness, the message does not say a calamity will befall you at sunset. It says get out by sunset or a calamity will befall you. Doesn't say when really. The city may even still fall.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I'm going to be a contrarian and vote A. El accepted King Zobah's amends, and the King is now going to do what any King would do to a doomsday prophet whose prophecy didn't come true.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Sogol posted:

As an irrelevant aside, we did not experience Drip in the [???] Bucket upon delivering the message. This might mean that our task is somehow not completed, even though we delivered the message as per our Pledge.

We aren't doing this for [???]. We are doing this as a servant of El in repayment for divine healing. We got a bump in [???] after committing a heroic act in the presence of witnesses. Being a messenger is not innately heroic. If the wicked king lunged at us and we slayed him then maybe we would have gotten a boost.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

You wake your companions and together you all put on your armor quickly. You tell them "We have some visitors, be ready but I wish to see what they have to say."

You watch as the group approaches from the direction of the city. As they come near to your camp fire you see that several of the men were your captives a short time ago. The men who butchered the village of Ashkalon. Most don't seem to be from the attack, or at least you don't recognize them as your former captives. They have shields and spears however their armor is of a poor and cheap quality.

One of them, a former captive of yours named Gideon speaks for the men. He tells you that "I warned them about what would happen. Um, I mean my friend Yaakov. I warned him. Say hello to the Hero Yaakov." One of the other men mumbles a "ello" to you.

Gideon resumes speaking and says "So I says to Yaakov, I says, we are gonna die if we stay here tomorrow, you said so, so we better pull a runner. And Yaakov says to me, he says, yeah, okay, sure, but I want to bring my friend Ephal cause we known each other since we were kids. Say hello to the Hero Ephal." Another one of the men looks to you briefly and says "'lo milord(*)."

Gideon then says "Well Ephal thinks thats a good idea but wait, we gotta bring his brother too, on account of he can't just LEAVE him here, so we gets him too and um... his neighbor and their nephew and their friend and um.... we really wanna come with ya, ya Worshipfulness, on account of we don't wanna die with tha rest tomorrow."

After questioning the man you learn a few notable details. Most of the men are all from the same village, a village on the eastern edge of Harmath's domain. Most are young men who have not married, some are.

You also learn that the army at large does not know of your warning. Gideon overheard you talking about the message with Jobe on the way here from Ashkalon.

It seems that the men want to desert. You are aware that if they are caught, they can expect to be executed so they can't go home. If they flee on their own and are caught... it won't go well for them either.

Uriah frowns and says "Absolutely not. These men are murderers." Gideon pleads that "We only did as we were told your lordship!" Danal remains silent. Jobe says that "I... do not think we should get involved further. You delivered the message but the ways of these cities are bad ways, we should not get further entangled in their problems."

1. You tell the men...
A. Sure! Come on. On to Baitel!
B. I will see you on to the next city on my route but then, you are on your own. You can't come.
C. I take them back to their home village, I can expect to add about a week and a half to the time I rejoin my caravan if I do this. If King Zobah is still around and kicking, they will be found and killed. If King Zobah dies tomorrow and his army falls, this whole region is probably going to be... an exciting place to live, no one will probably care they deserted.

D. You accept, you will take them away and save their lives but only if they become your slaves.

E. No. I turn them down and give them no other instructions.

I turned them down but I also tell them...

F. Just go back to your villages and hope for the best.

G. Go to another city, on your own.

H. Tell them that El hates deserters, they should go back to their camp and accept their fate at tomorrow's battle.

I. Tell them that the blood of the innocent people of Ashkalon is on their hands. Their punishment has been ordained. Go back to your camp and accept El's punishment.

J. Kill them. Some of them probably helped butcher Ashkalon and according to the villagers, many other villages were attacked.
K. March them back to their army by force, let their own commanders kill them for desertion.

L. None of the above. I go back to King Zobah and try again. Fill in your technique and/or approach.

M. None of the above. I sneak into Tadmor and tell their king the military secrets I gained in King Zobah's tent.

N. None of the above. Go back to the army and go over Zobah's head! I WAS SENT BY EL DAMNIT! LISTEN UP! El told your king to beat it and he said no, so I came back to save the miserable lives of all you soldiers! Refuse to fight! Get the El out of here before I start kicking asses and Smattas starts raining fire!

O. Something else. Fill in.

(*)One of the men called you milord. You know what a lord is. As you know, some cities, according to Tudiya, have something phenomenally wicked called lords. Kings a long time ago started giving land to people and named them lords. At the same time they made most of their people into slaves, as well as their children. They are not freed every fifty years. Not every city has lords but many do. The way they get around the sacred jubilee every fifty years which frees all slaves is that they aren't really slaves! No no no! You see, they just sign contracts promising to farm land in exchange for keeping a tiny portion of what they farm! What a deal! They get to eat! Some months, every day! The contracts also say that if they don't farm enough or quit, they have to pay a bunch of silver as a penalty for breaking the contract. Which being poor farmers they don't have. So it is totally a coincidence that every farmer who walks off their land is tracked down and forced to become a slave to pay their debts. Yeap! A coincidence! It is also a coincidence that the contracts are signed again literally the day after the jubilee(which also extinguishes all debts)! What a bargain!

The people enslaved like this are called "serfs". It is one if many wicked ways of the interior cities, though it is not the way of all of them. The city of Harmath has lords and serfs, as does it's allies. Tadmor does not.

You can question them if you like but I probably won't have time to answer before tonight.

A question which was asked:

quote:

Consult Jobe and ask if offering penance or completing a selfless act may save their souls.

Being a murderous rear end in a top hat wont get you sent to hell. There is no hell and there are a variety of other reasons to want to be in El's good book clay tablet, so it is not a matter of saving their souls.

Before Jobe answers, Uriah says with disdain and contempt "These men are not sorrowful, they are cowards. They do not seek forgiveness, they seek only to not die. They may not be Blooded but that is no excuse. The time for action was when they butchered that poor village. That was the time for them to disobey, not on the eve of their doomed battle."

Gideon cries out again "Mercy milord! We only did as we must!"

Uriah scowls and says "They did not need a Melachin to curse their king to learn El hates those who butcher women and children. We were no match for that Zviv but El was with us and he would have been with these spineless slugs if they made the right choice in Ashkalon. If they are sorrowful, let then give their spears to the Tadmorans and fight for the widows and orphans they made on the morrow."

Jobe answers your question saying that "For what they have done, a proper penance would likely involve death, though not certainly so." You may recall when Tudiya had to deal with the survivors of Bareen's temple, he had those who took a life pray for a week. Two he killed after why exactly those two he never said. The others who took a life he only spared after they watched the others die. Tudiya did not fully explain his purpose but you can draw your own conclusions, he sent them off to be sold as slaves far away. You were told to speak with none of their fates, the city thinks Tudiya killed them.

quote:

Question for the dudes: "You only did what you were told, you say? And what exactly were you told to do?"
Gideon says "We were told to enslave the village, take anything of value and kill any that resisted, but be careful with roughing up the woman too much on account of they won't be worth as much. I .. we... we had no choice!"

Diogines fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 9, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Is H actually true Diog, as far as we know?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -