Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

Ligur posted:

Or crushing skulls like melons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

mewse posted:

If you don't wear handwraps while jogging, people might mistake you for a runner

Seriously.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Your chosen martial art involves raping and pillaging from your tender teenage years, and cleaving people in half with Zweihänder swords. And walking around in full plate.

Send us trip report and tell us where you found the club to train this at!

I'm also pretty sure there's a huge business opportunity involved in this amongst young adult males right now.

edit: a less swole/gargantuan practitioner of your preferred style: Behind you... CLEAAAARRR! (is what he actually screams in English), I bet Thomas Marshal can't head crush with his bare hands tho.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 9, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ligur posted:

Well. If you run and wave your arms simultaneously, you're getting roadwork and arm exercise at the same time, for better overall conditioning, aren't you? I often have people jog and punch for a warmup for striking class. Better than just doing one or another. And if you like boxing, every punch or somewhat punchlike* movement you perform is towards home.

Also IIRC this really talented, like, Olympic level American wrestler who also competed in pro boxing in the early 20th century ran his 7 mile or whatever morning run holding a brick in each hand to condition his shoulders and mitts to stay up.

So you could try that too!

Oh and if someone doesn't have girly 2lbs weights around, and you are too cheap to buy a pair or are in a cabin in the woods or something just drink two 0,5 liter bottles of sugary water (or pour on the ground while screeching like an ape) and fill the bottle with sand. Now you have a light, improvised weight for shadow boxing and it's a tad annoying to hold so you also improve your grip strength, and you'll be better at massaging your girlfriend!

Or crushing skulls like melons! Although I'm not sure if a small sand filled bottle is enough resistance training to make melon skull crushing gripz.

*I would not count the arm... motions most hobbyists make while running or even walking as "punches".

Jogging with a light medicine ball and alternating extending it in front of you and above your head is one of my favorite endurance/cardio exercises.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Jogging with a light medicine ball and alternating extending it in front of you and above your head is one of my favorite endurance/cardio exercises.

You actually do this? Sounds torturous. It's like saying "I actually like burpees and prefer to do them over other calisthenics".

(I actually started loving burpees when I developed me legs to a point they can explode me up repeatedly for minutes on end.)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ligur posted:

You actually do this? Sounds torturous. It's like saying "I actually like burpees and prefer to do them over other calisthenics".

(I actually started loving burpees when I developed me legs to a point they can explode me up repeatedly for minutes on end.)

I mean, I "like it" in the sense that it gets you really exhausted, really fast and is a little closer to the full-body activity you're doing in a martial art than just regular running.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Ok kinda I "love" burpees. It's fun...

Afterwards, when you're finished with the loving burpee tabata.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Dolemite posted:

A lot of trainers and students seem to have the curved Fairtex pads. Having used those, both as a pad holder and as the person kicking the pads, the curved ones are much nicer. They're easier for both the pad holder and the person striking them to keep things on target. If your kick or punch hits the pad, but misses the sweet spot, you'll still know it. But, the fact that the pads are curved means the failed kick or punch won't accidentally slide up the pad and hit the pad holder in the face.

That particular model you linked to (the white, curved Fairtex set) is particularly nice. They have long elastic buckles, so you can cinch them down to fit you. But the straps are made in a way that once you've set them to be tight enough for your tastes, you can slip the pads off and on without having to redo the straps every time. And unlike a lot of the other brands I've used, the Fairtex pads' straps don't keep coming undone in the middle of training.

They also seem to be pretty durable. A lot of our trainers have had their sets of these pads for a good while.

I'm probably going to pick up a set of those pads myself after I get paid.

Well alright then. Guess I haven't used them enough. They're a bit pricey outright but fairtex makes good stuff so

Just checked and their $122 on amazon from $140 today. Weird. Going to take the plunge I think

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 9, 2014

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

deadlyrhetoric posted:

How the Hell am I supposed to clean my hakama?

e: other than febreze.

Wash it.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Ahh, off to teach basic coursers in the fearsome, too dangerous to train techniques of Savate cardio-kickboxing in a few minutes. First basic course class for me this year and it's their second class ever. So many questions which make me tremble in anxiety.

Can any of them perform a push-up, if the group is 90% girls again? Are they interested in actually breaking a sweat? If so, are any of them in the physical condition that even induces sweating under strain? Because it's a beautiful summer day, will anyone even be there?!

edit: wow, it was only 70% girls and everyone could do several push-ups, except the large girl who was roughly 110lbs overweight, but she turned out to be easily the best puncher of the whole group. Like, natural right cross, weight shift, turning her hip, side, shoulder and then releasing, fully extending the arm, twisting the fist 0,05 seconds before impact, all down to a finished product.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 12, 2014

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Ligur posted:

Ahh, off to teach basic coursers in the fearsome, too dangerous to train techniques of Savate cardio-kickboxing in a few minutes. First basic course class for me this year and it's their second class ever. So many questions which make me tremble in anxiety.

Can any of them perform a push-up, if the group is 90% girls again? Are they interested in actually breaking a sweat? If so, are any of them in the physical condition that even induces sweating under strain? Because it's a beautiful summer day, will anyone even be there?!

edit: wow, it was only 70% girls and everyone could do several push-ups, except the large girl who was roughly 110lbs overweight, but she turned out to be easily the best puncher of the whole group. Like, natural right cross, weight shift, turning her hip, side, shoulder and then releasing, fully extending the arm, twisting the fist 0,05 seconds before impact, all down to a finished product.

I'd say that usually when girls end up in the kickboxing gym they actually have at least a bit of basic fitness covered and are actually interested in the sport somewhat. Those who don't are probably joining Elixia's cardio boxing classes. I know our gym also has a separate "fitness boxing" group for people who want that.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

General Emergency posted:

I'd say that usually when girls end up in the kickboxing gym they actually have at least a bit of basic fitness covered and are actually interested in the sport somewhat. Those who don't are probably joining Elixia's cardio boxing classes. I know our gym also has a separate "fitness boxing" group for people who want that.

I used to teach basic courses every week in 2011 and 2012, and the answer is actually "no" in our case. We're located in a great place, have a ton of different "fitness" classes in the mix and we're cheaper than the Elixia's of the world.

Over the years I have seen many surprised, confused and terrified faces when I teach a Savate Formé class like I would teach a kickboxing class (just minus the contact) :v:

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

What about the pleats? One guy in my dojo says to leave it folded, submerge it in water with salt and a bit of detergent, and then step on it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

deadlyrhetoric posted:

What about the pleats? One guy in my dojo says to leave it folded, submerge it in water with salt and a bit of detergent, and then step on it?

I am so glad I do a martial art where I don't have to worry about keeping my pants pleated.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Take a cue from selvedge denim owners and just stick it in a plastic bag in the freezer to kill the bacteria.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Freezing doesn't kill bacteria, it just inhibits further growth.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
So clinch question:

Every time I get double unders into a decent bear hug or body lock (from there I transition into back control, work takedowns etc) my sparring partners have started doing this thing where they create a tiny amount of space and then essentially overhook both of my elbows and squeeze together (causing a lot of tendinitis pain and forcing me to let go). I usually give up on the lock and try to separate with a couple of strikes or a leg kick whenever this happens, but I've already wasted a lot of energy getting the bear hug to where it feels unfortunate that they can defend it so easily.

What's the counter (besides disengaging) to what my partners are doing? Against the cage it isn't a big deal because they can't make space, but I can't maintain a bear hug anywhere else long enough to generate a takedown or throw just out in the center or somewhere else on the mat. If I let them pinch my elbows together, I end up either getting screwdrivered into the fence or the ground, or having the jerk away with my hands low. The only solution I've tried that consistently works is disengaging with strikes as soon as I feel them stick their rear end out and create space.

e: Followup strikechat:
A big group of guys including me are training for fights over the summer, and one or two of them don't have any cardio and don't block bodyshots so 5th or 6th round sparring always turns into a massacre (not because we are all good, but because they gas so fuckin fast and let us tee off on their body). Last night I ended up dropping a 2 of these ones with knees and then backing off and letting them recover, but my coach is screaming that I need to dive on and simulate finishing a fight (with lighter strikes obv) when this happens, and also to tee off on partners who are obviously gassed and can't properly defend their body or legs. I came to this new gym from one where a lot of the sparring was less brutal, and my current striking coach wants way more in terms of swarming my partners and capitalizing on them when they're gassed and taking endless bodyshots because we're all fighting and they 'have to be ready' for it to happen. I guess my question is:

what's the etiquette for this sort of thing? We're not constantly throwing knockout shots to head, but my new coach is reaaaaally stressing that being gassed and beat up is something that just has to happen if you're not defending the body. Do I just roll with how the gym operates in this case? It's just weird/feels bad

Eat Bum Zen fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 12, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Eat Bum Zen posted:

So clinch question:

Every time I get double unders into a decent bear hug or body lock (from there I transition into back control, work takedowns etc) my sparring partners have started doing this thing where they create a tiny amount of space and then essentially overhook both of my elbows and squeeze together (causing a lot of tendinitis pain and forcing me to let go). I usually give up on the lock and try to separate with a couple of strikes or a leg kick whenever this happens, but I've already wasted a lot of energy getting the bear hug to where it feels unfortunate that they can defend it so easily.

What's the counter (besides disengaging) to what my partners are doing? Against the cage it isn't a big deal because they can't make space, but I can't maintain a bear hug anywhere else long enough to generate a takedown or throw just out in the center or somewhere else on the mat. If I let them pinch my elbows together, I end up either getting screwdrivered into the fence or the ground, or having the jerk away with my hands low. The only solution I've tried that consistently works is disengaging with strikes as soon as I feel them stick their rear end out and create space.

Well the first thing would be to get your underhooks deeper and stronger and get a nice drag on their lats/back so they can't do that. And underhook should really be up in there and lifting them off balance, it's not for chilling. You're not ever going to have an easy time bear hugging a good grappler, as soon as you get the hooks they're going to be hipping out and pummeling and whizzering. When I get the double unders that says to me it's GO TIME, I start getting really aggressive with my foot trip combinations. They're spacing out backwards, and if you're not not deep enough to stand them up straight-on, leverage one of your hooks to make them move to one side so they have to shift their weight in one direction, and use their adjustment to stand them up to get deeper or sweep as they have to replant their foot.

One useful thing that guys who don't train with a jacket don't do enough is if you want a deeper hand fighting position, walk your hands up inch by inch. So you've got a shallow underhook, use your fingers to "crawl" your hand up their back to get a deeper position. This also works for stuff like when you're in a front headlock and want to get deeper for an anaconda choke, you drag their armpit/infraspinatus and "walk" your hand through to your bicep.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 12, 2014

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

deadlyrhetoric posted:

I assume this is for kendo, right?. And that it's a proper cotton hakama and not one of the awful synthetic ones?
There's a lot of stupid advice out there, but simply throw it in the washing machine, don't use any softener and then when it's finished, take it out, fold it as normal (except for the last big 2 folds) and then hang it to dry.
I have a drying rack and just lie it on top. If you need to hang it, hang it from the bottom and use pegs to keep the pleats in place.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I had the same problem with double unders especially vs stronger people and learned that you shouldn't come straight on the majority of the time but should still angle a bit one way or another.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A question:

I just recently started doing Aikido at a small dojo, I'm enjoying it quite a bit (funny how good being slammed into mats can feel). I mostly got into it because the peaceful ideas behind it appeal to me, but my sensei has been pushing me to diversify and attend the American Kenpo classes they have as well in order to have a quick response to an actually life-threatening situation, or at least to be able to tap someone in the nose before trying to pin them.

However, I haven't been able to find out much about American Kenpo. Is it a practical fighting style like Kyokushin Karate, or more the flashy like Aikido? Is it worth diversifying into?

E. It's not a matter of him trying to make me spend more money, it would be free anyways.

VVVV I don't really give a poo poo about beating people up, I was just curious about the format. It's flashy, got it.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 14, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

A question:

I just recently started doing Aikido at a small dojo, I'm enjoying it quite a bit (funny how good being slammed into mats can feel). I mostly got into it because the peaceful ideas behind it appeal to me, but my sensei has been pushing me to diversify and attend the American Kenpo classes they have as well in order to have a quick response to an actually life-threatening situation, or at least to be able to tap someone in the nose before trying to pin them.

However, I haven't been able to find out much about American Kenpo. Is it a practical fighting style like Kyokushin Karate, or more the flashy like Aikido? Is it worth diversifying into?

E. It's not a matter of him trying to make me spend more money, it would be free anyways.

American Kenpo is some super dumb Wing Chun-style bullshit. It even dumber than aikido.

If you want to get better at defending yourself but don't want to pay for another martial arts class, spend that time lifting weights.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 14, 2014

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I did Kenpo for a bit in high school and found it slightly more practical than Aikido/TKD, but nowhere near as practical as Jujitsu. The kungfu criticism doesn't jive with my experience, but this was a while ago for me.

If you want something practical, take up boxing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Clanpot Shake posted:

I did Kenpo for a bit in high school and found it slightly more practical than Aikido/TKD, but nowhere near as practical as Jujitsu. The kungfu criticism doesn't jive with my experience, but this was a while ago for me.

Yeah, about what I expected. I really don't have much interest or cause to punch people square in the face, I am in aikido mostly for the side benefits.

Thanks for the help.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Clanpot Shake posted:

"American Kenpo" is a specific, incredibly dumb thing distinct from stuff like, say, Okinawan or Japanese kenpo, which are basically karate, or Hawaiian kenpo, which is basically MMA.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 14, 2014

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I'm a karate guys so I'm kinda obliged to throw out the obvious not-aikido-but-still-Nihon-desu option. A good kyokushin dojo would be good, sporty, and practical, but a (good, very important that it be good) shotokan place is going to have a lot of your aikido meditation/forms work mixed in with practical-ish stuff.

Ignore music, observe practical shotokan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ywqKAnDJXE

2:30 on is of course the crane kick money shot from like 8 angles but no Machida-as-shotokan highlight reel is not going to abuse that.

e: Every American Kempo person I know was terrible at everything. They seem to like teaming up with :airquote: 'Shaolin' :airquote: Kung Fu people. I dunno, maybe they're like the Krav Maga of the TMA world.

the JJ fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 14, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

American Kenpo was invented in the 60's by a stupid fat guy named Ed Parker who authored a book called "Secrets of Chinese Karate". So...yeah.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you want to get better at defending yourself but don't want to pay for another martial arts class, spend that time lifting weights.

No no no no: running. I have never met a guy who lifts weights first and does something else second who can also operate for more than 5 seconds (and even that extremely slowly). If you want to defend yourself, don't lift weights.

Instead buy an orbital satellite laser station.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Remember that there is only one real American martial art. And it also focuses on the most practical things for real fights:
http://youtu.be/gyXhysmMNhE

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ligur posted:

No no no no: running. I have never met a guy who lifts weights first and does something else second who can also operate for more than 5 seconds (and even that extremely slowly). If you want to defend yourself, don't lift weights.

Instead buy an orbital satellite laser station.

If you're muscular people will be less likely to start fights with you though! Also that guy does aikido so I'm sure his cardio is already superb.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 14, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you're muscular people will be less likely to start fights with you though! Also that guy does aikido so I'm sure his cardio is already superb.

i dunno I feel like my buff friends get a lot more poo poo from people generally. Like I've never had anyone pick me out of a crowd to fight for no apparent reason but I have seen it happen to other people I know who are 60 lbs bigger.

the supreme martial art in capoeria anyway because you'll be too exhausted from all the dancing and sex to get into trouble.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

TKD is definitely the most proven martial art for defending yourself from referees, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CecGsG_4yoc

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

TKD is so silly. I respect their athleticism and some of the kicks look really cool and maybe can be effective if you can actually land it. But you watch poo poo like Olympic and its literally them just exchanging the same kicks left right left right really fast with their arms down. Seriously so lame.

I'm still pissed none of you saved that Muay Thai Kata video from awhile ago :colbert: what was that McDojo again where the dude sold crossfit styl levels of MT certification?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 14, 2014

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

tonberrytoby posted:

Remember that there is only one real American martial art. And it also focuses on the most practical things for real fights:
http://youtu.be/gyXhysmMNhE

Very happy to be reminded of ameri-do-te

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

the supreme martial art in capoeria anyway because you'll be too exhausted from all the dancing and sex to get into trouble.

With capoeira you'll have so much sex the rest of the world around you will simply quit wanting to fight and instead have sex with you

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

TKD is so silly. I respect their athleticism and some of the kicks look really cool and maybe can be effective if you can actually land it. But you watch poo poo like Olympic and its literally them just exchanging the same kicks left right left right really fast with their arms down. Seriously so lame.

I'm still pissed none of you saved that Muay Thai Kata video from awhile ago :colbert: what was that McDojo again where the dude sold crossfit styl levels of MT certification?

A dude I know who did TKD for two years did really well when he transitioned to muay thai for two reasons, he learned how to throw a side kick in TKD but learned how to sink into it for MT and flat drilled motherfuckers to the body with it and he was able to land effectively with the ball of his foot when he threw a high kick so even with boxing gloves and arms folded into a cover he was able to drive the ball of his foot into someone's jaw through the small gap. It was funny to see him go out to fight and throw poo poo like an axe kick and drill people in the ribs with a side kick when he's step away from a teep.

It's a useless martial art but some of the dexterity and techniques when modified into an actual hurting people martial art can be effective.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

They definitely have a lot of speed, flexibility, and decent power in some kicls I'll give them that. So I could see how it'd easily carry over if they could get rid of bad habits like arms down.

Although his fighting career was less than impressive I always liked Serkan Yilmaz. He was a TKD dude that did K1 but really applied those fancy kicks with a ton of speed in an effective way, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6SMai7ekUQ

sorry about the music

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I've posted about this earlier, but we've had a few people with TKD past show up and they are funny. Like, really nice people, but also, when someone, somewhere close to them (not necessarily AT them) throws a kick they *ZIP* IMMEDIATELY DROP THEIR HANDS and start a weird cross-step shuffle to prepare a neat kick. Or perhaps to confuse. I am not sure.

They are just fine as long as we kick a bag or pads and can even punch it a bit if they try but it's hilarious when they see this kick being thrown somewhere during a moving/striking or themed sparring exercise with a bit of freedom built in, their eyes glace over, the hands drop, and then you just nudge them in the face with a jab and ask "hey, bro, you alright, why'd you do that!?!"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hello, I've been thinking about taking up a martial art and my local gym has shotokan karate classes that fit my schedule. Has anyone here had any experience with shotokan karate (Probably a stupid question)? What do you think of it? I currently do historical fencing but fancy adding something more without weapons, though we do a little grappling in he fencing school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Ultragonk posted:

Hello, I've been thinking about taking up a martial art and my local gym has shotokan karate classes that fit my schedule. Has anyone here had any experience with shotokan karate (Probably a stupid question)? What do you think of it? I currently do historical fencing but fancy adding something more without weapons, though we do a little grappling in he fencing school.

If it's located nicely just go there and do some workouts, and if you like it, do it more.

If you do historical fencing (which I think is awesome) you are probably not already interested in learning to the most Street Efficient Martial Art anyway nor the one which will beeline you to the UFC minors in a month, so it's all good.

• Locked thread