Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Speaking of 'next gen' experiences, I remember seeing Call of Duty (2? 3?) in 60 frames per second, and being blown away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It was impressive back in the day, even if it is the distilled essence of improbably musclebound gruff Unreal BADASSERY. The cover mechanic really was interesting and new back then, and the combat has a nice chunky feel to it. I never played past GOW2.

Yeah but it already felt really loving stupid when it came out. Maybe it's intentional?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of 'next gen' experiences, I remember seeing Call of Duty (2? 3?) in 60 frames per second, and being blown away.

It was 2. I remember having that moment where I was like "Whoa, the future is now" after playing it. Which is hilarious to me now, because CoD2 is so basic now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think GTA is a good yardstick for how far we've come. Comparing 2008's GTA4 to last year's GTA5 is like looking at two completely different generations of game.

I've also been thinking about how other games that were out in the console's early days stack up - Assassin's Creed seems to have had relatively minor graphical advances, Mass Effect changed from a Bioware RPG with shooter elements to an action RPG, Call of Duty destroyed gaming as we know it and Fable got prettier but stupider.

It's been a long nineish years...

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 17, 2014

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My favourite thing about the Gears trilogy is imagining legions of dudebros pretending they have something in their eye in 3 when Dom dies.

The music choice for that part made it so goddamn out of place fake-dramatic and dumb I had to pause the game because I was laughing so hard. I really liked the game (didn't like GW1, 2 was a lot better but I felt it got boring and repetitive towards the end), but that scene just didn't work at all as a super serious plot point in a game like that.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Veib posted:

The music choice for that part made it so goddamn out of place fake-dramatic and dumb I had to pause the game because I was laughing so hard. I really liked the game (didn't like GW1, 2 was a lot better but I felt it got boring and repetitive towards the end), but that scene just didn't work at all as a super serious plot point in a game like that.

The music was a callback to an ad for the original game but yeah, it was so over-the-top dumb that I laughed at it, too.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

ixnay posted:

The music was a callback to an ad for the original game but yeah, it was so over-the-top dumb that I laughed at it, too.

Yeah I know, and that didn't really help at all.

Now if it was the original Tears for Fears version of the song however...

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ZeeBoi posted:

Avatars were the dumbest thing ever to come to Xbox.

I don't know, as someone who posts a LOT of hatemail for one particular game, I think they can be pretty hilarious when paired with horrible language.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

EC posted:

I don't know, as someone who posts a LOT of hatemail for one particular game, I think they can be pretty hilarious when paired with horrible language.

I don't care much for Dark Souls, but this I can appreciate.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jQkxsEbnS4

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

This is great.

"I'm so skilled at Guitar you loser nerd" *plays one of the easiest openings to a song*

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

scr0llwheel posted:

What's the best (non-simulation) racing game on the 360? Played a good amount of DIRT 2/3, PGR3/4, Paradise back in the day. What else is out there?

Midnight Club LA is $4 with Gold right now, would that fit into this category? I always could use a fun game to play while having a few drinks.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Deadfall Adventures is on sale this week. It is ok, it's probably the closest we'll get to an Indiana Jones game.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
There's also a demo of it in the proper demo's section of XBL, which is criminally ignored right now. I expected to see some new poo poo as E3 went off.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

RDR is back on sale at £4.99, bagging a copy now because I was too stupid to grab it last time it was on sale mere months ago :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I haven't played a Street Fighter game in at least a decade, and I just downloaded SSF4 and beat somebody online with Dan. Good to know there are people much worse than me at this game out there.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think you can pretty much button mash your way through most fighting games until you get to players who know how to block consistently

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The next barrier in SF is learning to block a jump in attack followed by crouching poo poo. I still have problems with that but I'm still steadily moving up the leaderboard for Hugo and have beat players ranked in the top 300-200s for theirs.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

skaboomizzy posted:

Midnight Club LA is $4 with Gold right now, would that fit into this category? I always could use a fun game to play while having a few drinks.

I bought this a few weeks ago and it's a cool game. I like the way the online cruise mode is handled and after playing it, I can't believe how lovely Forza Horizon did the same concept all those years later. It's got kinda wonky handling that I'm not too crazy about though.

That said, the servers for it are just awful, good luck actually using the online cruise because you'll probably have to try like 20 times to get online.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

I think you can pretty much button mash your way through most fighting games until you get to players who know how to block consistently

The first time I did the MK Arcade mode I got an achievement for not blocking and I did not mean to get that achievement.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

raditts posted:

I haven't played a Street Fighter game in at least a decade, and I just downloaded SSF4 and beat somebody online with Dan. Good to know there are people much worse than me at this game out there.

I killed so many evenings in high school playing SF2:SCE and MK2 on the Genesis. I might get into this later tonight and lament how old and useless I am at fighting games now.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
So many street fighter newbies seem to think it's okay to jump against Blanka. :getin:

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Note that as part of the Rockstar sale, Bully is on sale for ~$4 and Max Payne 3 is ~$6. This is a good deal for :10bux:. The competitionist in me is thinking about getting the MP3 season pass for $3 even though I imagine the online community is nearly dead.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

skaboomizzy posted:

I killed so many evenings in high school playing SF2:SCE and MK2 on the Genesis. I might get into this later tonight and lament how old and useless I am at fighting games now.

Be warned that you will probably be cursing frequently because the lovely 360 d-pad doesn't pull off the move you need to win precisely at the time you need it.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Well in my first Endless Battle on SSFIV:AE I won a fight and was kicked by the host before the next one. Hooray!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

owl_pellet posted:

Well in my first Endless Battle on SSFIV:AE I won a fight and was kicked by the host before the next one. Hooray!

I hope you left a negative review. That'll show him!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
http://woobox.com/4hdv7q

Free $5 credit, needs your Facebook though

owl_pellet posted:

I was playing Persona 4 Arena and lost, and the host kicked me, but I kept rejoining his lobby (it was the only one) and he got really mad at me and kept saying "you're not skilled enough to fight me", despite us being literally the only two people online.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

Hat Thoughts posted:

http://woobox.com/4hdv7q

Free $5 credit, needs your Facebook though

Dead now.

Anyone on the fence about buying Bully for $4, don't be. Fantastic game, especially if you don't know anything about it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jerry Cotton posted:

I hope you left a negative review. That'll show him!
I ran into a few kids while plzying COD who bragged on their negative rating, and came to realize that there's only one rating you can never brag away (ie Unsporting = "I was too good for them" or the deaf guy who had a hilariously bad "Trash-talking" rating despite having no mic) is "Quit Early". I've heard at least few people chalk up their negative reviews as proof of their mad skills rather than proof of their being lovely players, but Quit Early always means Quit Early (true or not).

Also, Avatars are rad, it was the best part of Age of Booty - forcing your opponents' avatars to walk the plank into the sea. :glomp:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

coyo7e posted:

I ran into a few kids while plzying COD who bragged on their negative rating, and came to realize that there's only one rating you can never brag away (ie Unsporting = "I was too good for them" or the deaf guy who had a hilariously bad "Trash-talking" rating despite having no mic) is "Quit Early". I've heard at least few people chalk up their negative reviews as proof of their mad skills rather than proof of their being lovely players, but Quit Early always means Quit Early (true or not).

Yeah CoD goons got pretty lovely after CoD4.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I have like a 30% avoided for trash talking and the only time I use a Mic is if I'm partied up with friends, which is always private, otherwise it's unplugged.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I'm having more fun with Street Fighter 4 than I thought I would when I found out it was going to be a GwG selection. I'm not super big into fighting games and I'm using a controller instead of a stick, but the matchmaking in all online modes seems to be quick and pairs me with people of appropriate skill level. This makes all the difference in the world to my enjoyment. When the last Mortal Kombat came out, it seemed like the matchmaking took a good one to two minutes to find me someone who would tear my rear end in a top hat out and then I'm back to the lobby. I think I played less than 5 matches before never touching that multiplayer ever again.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well, I beat Saints Row IV. So until there's some sale on SR2/3/4 DLC, I'm pretty much done with Saints Row for a while.

The people that said I should play 2 before 4 were definitely right, and whoever said IV was a glorified expansion pack for 3 was spot on - a lot of the game felt very much like a total conversion mod of 3. And then at the end it became Vanquish.

So, well. It was a fun game, but I think I liked 2 beter in general, and 3 still trumps 2. Basically, 2 told the best story, but 3 was the best game.

But man, I played through these fast. 2 and IV I beat in about a week each. 2 I didn't bother to 100%, but IV I did 100% and it was just slightly longer than 2. A lot of that is probably because IV eliminates a lot of travel time, something I ultimately felt detracted a little. I said I'd actually use cars, but I didn't do that a lot. So idk, really.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

owl_pellet posted:

I'm having more fun with Street Fighter 4 than I thought I would when I found out it was going to be a GwG selection. I'm not super big into fighting games and I'm using a controller instead of a stick, but the matchmaking in all online modes seems to be quick and pairs me with people of appropriate skill level. This makes all the difference in the world to my enjoyment. When the last Mortal Kombat came out, it seemed like the matchmaking took a good one to two minutes to find me someone who would tear my rear end in a top hat out and then I'm back to the lobby. I think I played less than 5 matches before never touching that multiplayer ever again.

Yeah, that's doing a lot for me too. It's still maddening when you can't pull a move off when you need to thanks to the poo poo d-pad though. Which of the third party gamepads are supposed to be the good ones? I'm willing to spend a little money for the sake of fighting games but not enough to buy a fightstick.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

raditts posted:

Yeah, that's doing a lot for me too. It's still maddening when you can't pull a move off when you need to thanks to the poo poo d-pad though. Which of the third party gamepads are supposed to be the good ones? I'm willing to spend a little money for the sake of fighting games but not enough to buy a fightstick.
You can buy those Mad Catz Fightpads for like 20 or 30 bucks which are the next best thing to a stick. Has a nice big, smooth dpad and 6 face buttons. I hear the build quality on them kind of sucks though and they break after awhile if you use it hard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The 360's rep system was not very well thought-out. I went to a star and a half after about a month of playing UMvC3 online, and I don't use a mic.

Though that's also a fighting-game thing. Fighting game fans are in the sub-sub basement of humanity, next to MOBA players and people who take their hot dogs plain.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Are Wolvenstein: The New Order and Watch_Dogs worth getting on 360 or are they totally Next Gen material? Anyone played Enemy Front? That seems kind of interesting too.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

But man, I played through these fast. 2 and IV I beat in about a week each. 2 I didn't bother to 100%, but IV I did 100% and it was just slightly longer than 2. A lot of that is probably because IV eliminates a lot of travel time, something I ultimately felt detracted a little. I said I'd actually use cars, but I didn't do that a lot. So idk, really.

I love that the most common complaint against Saint's Row IV was that it made moving around the city too fun and it was hard to downgrade to the (still fun) vehicle transportation.

egg tats fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 20, 2014

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

senae posted:

I love that the most common complaint against Saint's Row IV was that it made moving around the city too fun and it was hard to downgrade to the (still fun) vehicle transportation.

That's not really what he said. It isn't fun vs. not fun, it's just when one option is 100x faster you're going to take that regardless of how fun it is.

If anything SRIV's weird "glide REALLY awkwardly over a long distance" is less fun than driving a car or VTOL. I really wish they had come up with a new "flying" animation rather than just re-using the skydiving one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Anime_Otaku posted:

Are Wolvenstein: The New Order and Watch_Dogs worth getting on 360 or are they totally Next Gen material? Anyone played Enemy Front? That seems kind of interesting too.

Wolfenstein is a good game. It put it in the same league as other narrative-heavy FPS games like The Darkness games and Half-Life 2. That said, I played and finished it on XBox One (here's a PS4 vs 360 comparison) and there's a noticeable leap in graphic fidelity between the generations. It's a smoother, prettier experience to be sure on next gen. But the game itself is great no matter which system you play it on.

The same can be said of Watch_Dogs, though I sure wouldn't call it a good game. I didn't enjoy it very much.

• Locked thread