Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Those are some expensive donuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
A dozen for only $5700

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMXEvNUjgCg

This guy actually uses his modulars for real songs. Thread doomed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

magiccarpet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMXEvNUjgCg

This guy actually uses his modulars for real songs. Thread doomed.
Goddamn. Between that and their light show, no wonder they had like 30 guys setting them up on their Europe tour.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
He's back with NIN? :woop:

e: Hey it's the best Behringer product!

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 15, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
:negative: don't buy more modular stuff.

My new favorite sequencer is the Zillion algorithmic thingamajig from Future Retro. Computer music!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

A bunch of Native Instrument stuff is 50% off. I'm picking up the Maschine update for $50 and it still comes with the $25 voucher. Cool.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

It's only upgrades/crossgrades that are on sale FYI.

My Komplete crossgrade came in the mail just as I saw the email. Thankfully they're cool about it and I'm getting the difference refunded.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Oh good god. I don't need more instruments (it's not like I've even scratched the surface of Massive), but $200 for Komplete 9 may be too good to pass up.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's frickin' bananas.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I almost bought it but stopped because it's not for immediate download and I want it now. :mad:

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Not really a synth question, but I'm bad at schematics and was hoping this would be child's play to you fine folks here:

I've always wanted to try some ultrasonic recordings of my pet rats which laugh at 55kHz, but previosuly had only came across like $1600 ultrasonics mics, or articles about using bat detectors as mics that never ended up working very well. So when I heard of some Knowles mics that can record up to 100kHz for $30 I figured I'd give one try, wanting to connect it up to XLR. Well, the mic is a tiny electret mic which doesn't take normal XLR/Phantom power. I asked Knowles and one of their engineers said it wasn't possible at first, then another one said the preamp/converter that a Shure SM93 comes with might work, so I said screw it and ordered one of each.

Well, now I have both in hand with rats waiting to be freaked out by hearing themselves real time pitch shifted and vocoded :shobon: Can anyone be so kind as to explain how to wire up this Knowles FG-23629-P16 $30 ultrasonic electret mic

with the Shure SM93's preamp? (which apparently converts phantom/XLR to bias power)

Mic has red, blue, yellow... Red = pin 2 sure, but what about blue = 1 and yellow = 3 perhaps?

(I could care less about the phantom power and that Shure SM93 phantom-to-bias preamp thing if there's a simpler way to get this tiny mic hooked up to XLR, I just picked up that SM93 in the hopes of being as lazy as possible. I soldered a phat-boy once but that is coming up on 20 years ago now, drat.)

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I'm drunk in between war thunder matches but without looking at the schems if it's like every other electret mic just run a 9v between ground and output with appropriate for the element current limiting resistor. That shure sure is fancy for doing such a thing. I used to make little mics out of the old rat shack element that was a buck back in the days. Like this. Then just plug phono in, or use a phono/xlr that's a lot easier to find/have kicking around.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Dessert Rose posted:

Oh good god. I don't need more instruments (it's not like I've even scratched the surface of Massive), but $200 for Komplete 9 may be too good to pass up.

If you want 3 or more NI plugins (or 2 and one of those is Kontakt) Komplete is a really good deal. I bit the bullet to go from 9 to 9 Ultimate, it's worth it just because you're not shoving DVDs all night.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Seemingly relevant to folks here: An IndieGoGo project that just barely made their goal awhile back seems to have actually released their intended album---said album being largely wrought from synths both vintage and/or ludicrously expensive/rare(I think nearly every single one in the Equipment infographic has had the requisite lust/hate thrown at it here in the thread) in the spirit of Blade Runner.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/moments-lost#home

Pretty sure they'd have met their stretch goals if only they'd thought to have a nice cat or 2 captioned there into the gear pic...

Based on the little sampler tune in the recent updates---seems like it turned out to be pretty swell.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Question for those with Elektron gear, is saving patterns different from saving kits? I'm having difficulty grasping the concept on my Machinedrum.

To my understanding you can create your kits but the pattern you have on when you save it is not saved. If I wanted to save the pattern I would have to create a song using the kit instead. Am I understanding this correctly?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

magiccarpet posted:

A bunch of Native Instrument stuff is 50% off. I'm picking up the Maschine update for $50 and it still comes with the $25 voucher. Cool.
I got the Maschine update too, even though for my purposes, Maschine's role in my studio is "World's Most Expensive Drum Sample Library."

I was interested in the drum synth, though. Hope to check it out this weekend.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

It's the same for the lot of them— Kits->Patterns->Chains/Songs
Kits are the only* thing that you can save/load yourself. Patterns are automatically saved after any change. Kits are tied to patterns and any changed saved will affect all patterns, since they're referencing the same kit. That joining is saved on load/save of a kit so what I usually do is just "load" a blank kit if I'm starting from scratch to prevent loving myself or immediately save to a new slot any cool tweaks if using an existing kit. MD is a little unique in that it has "Classic" mode that will continue using the same kit from the pattern you started with as you change patterns, like an old pre-set machine. This does not affect the actually married kit in those patterns. Tweaking a kit and then reloading it with [Function]+[Classic/Extended] only reads the kit again and doesn't affect the kit or the pattern.
It is a unique patching structure but easy to work with once you get your head around it. The biggest thing is to save early and often, messing a kit up on accident is not hard.

*The analog family machines also throw "sounds" into the mix. These are a separate patch object that can be loaded into a machine slot and safely tweaked/saved without affecting the saved "sound". They can be on/off-loaded from +drive and inter-project. Can't speak to song mode because I've never spent time on it, I think there's song slots on the MD not sure. NFC how samples are handled on that thing.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 17, 2014

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Can someone recommend a solid 2 tier keyboard stand setup? Something preferably that I can buy on Amazon, and would be suitable for live shows. Right now everything is just sort of on the floor / my desk. I'd like to either rock a 61 key thing on the first level or my turntables out of the coffin, and the second tier for my microbrute + tr-8. I'm planning to use MDF or something like that as a baseboard since nothing seems to be made specifically to hold a pair of small instruments. Cheers

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Craigslist is great for this if you have enough people in your area. I've gotten 3 tier stands for $30 just because keyboard stands can be hard things to sell on something like eBay. I'd recommend most brands if you just need something in the studio. I've used planks of wood and unused bookshelf shelves to make a little table for other gear on one of the tiers. The 3 tier thing I had before was made by OnStage and I never had any issues with it.

If you're pressed for space and want to spend $$ I'd look at the Spider Pro stands (they can go up to 4 tiers from what I've seen).

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
ohmygod.

DubTurbo 4.0 is going to be an actual DAW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UytdF8p9EFs

In other news: The current product is a Flash app?

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Seemingly relevant to folks here: An IndieGoGo project that just barely made their goal awhile back seems to have actually released their intended album---said album being largely wrought from synths both vintage and/or ludicrously expensive/rare(I think nearly every single one in the Equipment infographic has had the requisite lust/hate thrown at it here in the thread) in the spirit of Blade Runner.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/moments-lost#home

Pretty sure they'd have met their stretch goals if only they'd thought to have a nice cat or 2 captioned there into the gear pic...

Based on the little sampler tune in the recent updates---seems like it turned out to be pretty swell.

Thanks a lot, now I just spent all night with a brass patch and some reverb.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

DaVE Smith is cooking up something new and interesting looking from the pics they have chosen to share. An official announcement should be coming soon.

https://twitter.com/DaveSmithInst/status/478961960977854464/photo/1
https://twitter.com/DaveSmithInst/status/479314677608886272

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Does anybody know ship dates on the Sub 37?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

insert bitching about dsi unfinished products here

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I swear to god if they allowed user samples in the Tempest it'd be one of the best grooveboxes ever.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Trying to find a decent mixer (for ~$300ish) with 2+ aux sends, and a pre/post toggle.
That Yamaha MG12XU looks nice, otherwise I'm considering the Mackie Onyx 1220.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I have zero complaints about the Yamaha so far, and it plays nice with an iPad so I may start using the Animoog as my dedicated polysynth for shits and giggles.

edit: Does anyone know how to set up (in live) a reverb that only effects the upper frequencies of a channel?

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 19, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I have zero complaints about the Yamaha so far, and it plays nice with an iPad so I may start using the Animoog as my dedicated polysynth for shits and giggles.

edit: Does anyone know how to set up (in live) a reverb that only effects the upper frequencies of a channel?

Send track, EQ in front of the reverb with all the frequencies you don't want pegged at the bottom. Or switch to a reverb with shelving filters on the input.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

e. Slow again, staring at screenshots in GIS

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

From screenshots I can see Live's native Reverb plugin has an input processing section with a filter that can cut the lows out of the input signal. That should be all there is to it. I'm assuming that it doesn't affect what is coming through as dry signal. If it does, you can still set it up 100% wet in a return channel and use the send. If you're using a different reverb plugin that doesn't offer the built in input filter, set it up in a return channel but add a filter or equalizer in front of it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've had a similar mixer for the last 3 years - the Yamaha MG166C. It was an absolute steal compared to pretty much any other unit we saw in the price range, it lacks solo buttons but that's about it. Yamaha just always seem to nail being able to provide good quality gear at reasonable prices, their guitars were always the same too.

e: that's really weird, the MG12XU is more expensive than mine, despite mine being 16 channels. I lack the effects unit on board, but I can't see how they can value that above a chunk of extra inputs/busses. I must be overlooking something, but I can't work out what...

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 19, 2014

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Dave Smith revealed his new synth: The Pro 2.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

"Comments are disabled for this video."

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Startyde posted:

"Comments are disabled for this video."

Well he certainly knows the GearSlutz crowd.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I didn't know that they were getting into the modular game? I guess that was a fun tease of them showing the Curtis filter eurorack module.

It's definitely an interesting synth and I think I'd prefer it over the Sub37 not that I'll be buying either anyways...

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

VoodooXT posted:

Dave Smith revealed his new synth: The Pro 2.

Holy smokes. Not sure I need another monosynth in my life -- especially one with a street price of $1999 -- but that looks and sounds fantastic.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
You had me at using wheels for pitch and mod controls. Lovely on-board controls, nice rear, fine sound and sequencer, looking forward to that Japanese guy demoing it on youtube for a proper demo of its capabilities.

(On the other hand, two of those are more than a Kurzweil Forte.)

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

That's how you're supposed to intro a synth. That step sequencer is seems pretty simple to rock.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So on a similar DSI note, I'm thinking of replacing my Mopho but I'm not sure what monosynth would be similar and have as much functionality. I dig the Mopho but the menu diving drives me mad (and don't say use the editor because it's frustrating too).

Suggestions on similar synths? What I liked most about the Mopho was the flexibilty it had thanks to the DCO's. In the end I may try and just sell it to get the keyboard version of it tbh.

e: No System-1 please I don't need to scatter myself TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

treasureplane posted:

Holy smokes. Not sure I need another monosynth in my life -- especially one with a street price of $1999 -- but that looks and sounds fantastic.

Hooray for more synths I guess but I hope the recent resurgence isn't just becoming a monosynth overload and then market crash.