Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
With the dust settled (for the moment) on the Republican House Succession, I wonder if you guys know: does McCarthy have the chops to be Speaker? I know Majority Leader is often the training ground for the speakership, but with the little I know of McCarthy, he strikes me as extremely milquetoast (in a way that someone like Boehner isn't). Is it too early to tell, or is he a total caretaker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
McCarthy is the one who has managed to get the need-to-pass bills through the House, even with Ted Cruz actively working against him. He was quite good at his old position of keeping the troops in line while giving them *just* enough to prevent a revolt. But now he's in a more
difficult role and one he hasn't been in before: he's going to have to work with the Democrats occasionally, including *gasp* Obama. That's the thing to watch.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

If you look up the full speech on YouTube you'll find a bunch of 3+ hour videos.

eta: Oh, you probably meant the bit about the contract. :downs:

In case he meant the actual speech: http://galtse.cx/

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Kalman posted:

So you agree money doesn't buy results, and that the influence it provides requires the politician to already be inclined to agree with you?

Or just have the politician not have a strong opinion on the issue. Your average Christianist anti-abortion crusader probably doesn't give two shits what the minimum wage is until the Chamber of Commerce folks start talking about how horrible a minimum wage bump would be while at some fundraiser. And heck, it can even be more subtle than that - who gets to give policy briefings to caucuses and staffers?

Not to mention that it kinda doesn't matter - whether you're actively bribing a Congresscritter or just using that suitcase full of money to make sure the "right one" gets elected, you're still using money to pervert the process.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

kelvron posted:

ZerglingMinor was a saint.

He was also a frost giant, check out his SAclapedia entry: http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1705

RIP :smith:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Armani posted:

He was also a frost giant, check out his SAclapedia entry: http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1705

RIP :smith:

Oh gently caress I had no idea he died. I just thought he wasn't in any recent threads I've been following... For the last 5 years. :smith:

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Can he replace Clarence T-dog? That would be exquisite.

Ah, hahahahahahahahahaha.

Hahaha.

{wipes eyes}

Hahahahahahahah.

Why didn't I think of this. (I hope someone who counts has.)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

In case he meant the actual speech: http://galtse.cx/

There are two websites that can change a net-dwelling fourteen-year old's life: goatse.cx and galtse.cx. One is a disgusting, vile image of a man that engenders a lifelong disdain towards one's fellow human beings, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves an anus.

I was legitimately hoping that would be goatse and not that galt poo poo

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Magres posted:

There are two websites that can change a net-dwelling fourteen-year old's life: goatse.cx and galtse.cx. One is a disgusting, vile image of a man that engenders a lifelong disdain towards one's fellow human beings, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves an anus.

I was legitimately hoping that would be goatse and not that galt poo poo

Actually, https://goatse.cx now hosts a two-minute advertisement for Dogecoin. I am completely serious, check the link if you don't believe me.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
They're ruining my childhood :negative:

And for the second time today, I have been dismayed that clicking a link did not result in a now familiar picture of a man's gaping anus. Today is a weird day.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
vote to repeal the 2001 AUMF failed in the house 157-260

NSA funding to install backdoors in telecoms got axed though.

There was talk that there would be a similar vote on the Iraq AUMF, not seeing if that got added to the list of how the vote went though.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Ballz posted:

Oh gently caress I had no idea he died. I just thought he wasn't in any recent threads I've been following... For the last 5 years. :smith:

Goddamnit, me too. Thread ruined.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Because “funds spent by, in support of, or in opposition to such candidates” is a euphemism for political speech. Let's say Mitt Romney is leading in the polls and I want to protest his probable election. Now nobody could object if I went onto the lawn and told anybody passing by how awful he is. But what if I want to do something more flashy? I go buy a flag, spray Romney's face on it, and burn it on the lawn. Oops! Since I spend funds “in opposition to such candidates“, my speech now exists at the whim of Congress.

That's obviously an inflammatory example (heh), but I'm using it intentionally. It's easy to get caught up in inequality rhetoric and forget just how much of a blank check we're giving to Congress here.

Just to be clear here: your fear if Congress is given the power to regulate campaign spending...is that they will set the caps at $3.95 and start frogmarching people to jail for protesting with a four-dollar flag?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

no

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Per Talking Points Memo, John McCain is traveling to MS to stump for Thad Cochran while Sarah Palin (or her publicist) is FB posting for McDaniel.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Magres posted:

Ain't nothin' wrong with the Goatman. That's 100% pure bred red-walled American anus. :patriot:

I still remember when, right before they were calling Ohio and everyone was on the edge of their seat, someone spammed goatse into the election night thread. The result was a raccous cheer from the goons and it was kind of heartwarming. The quintessential grossout image on the internet has become our rallying point. :unsmith:

gently caress tubgirl, though, that poo poo is loving disgusting.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

You will pay for your crimes against the people, know this always.

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW
I feel like the GOP should come out against the NSA. It speaks to their core values as a party, would probably fly well with tea party/libertarian extremist wing while probably the one thing they could do to peel off disaffected leftists or the youth vote. And would make the democratic party look like a big treasonous turd by contrast. Is that dumb?

I imagine alot of them are quite fine with a police state, but wouldn't they rather be back in power again?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Wanna feed galtse into a Markov chain with the collected works of Louis Carroll and see what comes out.

Chokes McGee posted:

Ain't nothin' wrong with the Goatman. That's 100% pure bred red-walled American anus. :patriot:

I thought he was French?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

The idea of “purchasing elections” presupposes that voters can't think for themselves.

They sure as gently caress appear to have a problem speaking for themselves.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So then ordinary people are not actually danger of falling afoul of the grand reach of a campaign finance reform amendment when they make minor purchases. Good to know.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

God no.

Filing for bankruptcy blocks the victims from filing suits. Bankruptcy code forbids filing a lawsuit against someone who has filed for bankruptcy. It then filed for a debtor-in-possession, which allows it to get a loan from someone to continue operations for now. The creditor for the DIP also gets first priority over other creditors because they took a risk. Freedom was able to get such a loan from a pair of companies called mountaineer Funding and VF Funding. So payments to those creditors are delayed indefinitely until those two companies are paid, and no lawsuits can be filed by those harmed

Now comes the fun part:
Freedom industries is owned by chemstream holdings. Chemstream holdings has the exact same street address as a company called Rosebud Mining. Which is kinda interesting. More interesting is this, Rosebud Mining owns two mineral financing companies you may have heard of - VF Funding and Mountaineer Funding.

Further, Rosebud and Chemstream are owned by the same person - j Clifford Forrest.

So one guy owns the shells that own the fronts. He poisoned 9 counties, them had one front declare bankruptcy to block lawsuits, them transferred money from a pair of fronts from a different shell to block creditor claims. Then he sold most of the assets to another front they own called Lexycon

So he lost nothing and blocked any claims of restitution by any injured party or creditor, and actually made a little by selling the Freedom Industries assets he didn't transfer

Ain't being rich awesome?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

gagelion posted:

I feel like the GOP should come out against the NSA.

Well it would be nice to sort out the idiots, I suppose. (By which I mean people willing to throw away all social progress in the name of getting some mealy-mouthed slap on the wrist for the NSA).

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 20, 2014

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

VitalSigns posted:

So then ordinary people are not actually danger of falling afoul of the grand reach of a campaign finance reform amendment when they make minor purchases. Good to know.

The edges of a law are the most important part of it, because enforcement tends to expand outward towards them. Someone isn't going to be prosecuted for flag-burning, but campaign finance laws would naturally grow towards the edges of 19.

After all, an anti-crush video law was used to prosecute a guy who sold dogfighting videos, and a chemical weapons treaty was used to prosecute a woman who poisoned her neighbor.

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well it would be nice to sort out the idiots, I suppose. (By which I mean people willing to throw away all social progress in the name of getting some mealy-mouthed slap on the wrist for the NSA).

I'm not saying it would work out for the best of this country, but like, would it work for their party?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

After all, an anti-crush video law was used to prosecute a guy who sold dogfighting videos, and a chemical weapons treaty was used to prosecute a woman who poisoned her neighbor.

Truly grave injustices. I can see now how laws against poisoning people opened up a slippery slope to prosecution of a women who merely poisoned someone. (And the government lost that case 9-0 against, but okay whatever)

But, how does your position differ from "Don't ever pass laws ever"? I mean gosh, I don't see anything in the 16th Amendment limiting income tax rates: Congress has a blank check to raise taxes to 100%, starving us all!

Actually, under the theory that enforcement maximally expands, all of our campaign spending already occurs at the whim of Congress because they can tax us at 100% whenever they wish, leaving nothing for campaigning.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 20, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

The edges of a law are the most important part of it, because enforcement tends to expand outward towards them. Someone isn't going to be prosecuted for flag-burning, but campaign finance laws would naturally grow towards the edges of 19.

And when they reach those edges is when we get a Supreme Court case on it.

What is your point with those two cases? I didn't read the first one but I'm totally okay with the conviction just from reading your description of it. Should we have never signed the chemical weapons treaty or any future treaty because it might be used/citied improperly at some point?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

VitalSigns posted:

Truly grave injustices. I can see now how laws against poisoning people opened up a slippery slope to prosecution of a women who merely poisoned someone. (And the government lost that case 9-0 against, but okay whatever)

But, how does your position differ from "Don't ever pass laws ever"? I mean gosh, I don't see anything in the 16th Amendment limiting income tax rates: Congress has a blank check to raise taxes to 100%, starving us all!

Actually, under the theory that enforcement maximally expands, all of our campaign spending already occurs at the whim of Congress because they can tax us at 100% whenever they wish, leaving nothing for campaigning.

Raising taxes directly harms Congressmen. And it would likely go down under due process as well.

Actually 16A should contain an exemption on poverty levels of income.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

And when they reach those edges is when we get a Supreme Court case on it.

What is your point with those two cases? I didn't read the first one but I'm totally okay with the conviction just from reading your description of it. Should we have never signed the chemical weapons treaty or any future treaty because it might be used/citied improperly at some point?

The fact that media depicts illegal activity doesn't remove it from First Amendment protection.

Congress should have put thought into writing the CWCIA. Instead the SC had to rewrite it to avoid having to rule on the Treaty Clause issue.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Raising taxes directly harms Congressmen. And it would likely go down under due process as well.

So what you're saying is, there is no reason to worry about ludicrous interpretations of an amendment, because the Supreme Court are not like an evil computer from Star Trek, inescapably bound to follow the letter of the law with pure logic regardless of insane outcomes?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

VitalSigns posted:

So what you're saying is, there is no reason to worry about ludicrous interpretations of an amendment, because the Supreme Court are not like an evil computer from Star Trek, inescapably bound to follow the letter of the law with pure logic regardless of insane outcomes?

Well I consider BCRA to be an insane outcome and it would definitely pass muster under 19 so

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Now that I've read the dog case, I'm curious as to how the follow up law that passed after the decision is allowed going by the ruling. Though, talking out of my legally untrained rear end, I think they court could and should have carved out a 1st amendment exemption regarding recordings of violent exploitation of unwilling persons (or in this case, dogs).

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

this picture should have been goatse

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Fried Chicken posted:

vote to repeal the 2001 AUMF failed in the house 157-260

NSA funding to install backdoors in telecoms got axed though.

There was talk that there would be a similar vote on the Iraq AUMF, not seeing if that got added to the list of how the vote went though.

I wish I could find a better story on this, because the vote broke down mostly along party lines. Democrats voting to repeal the AUMF and Republicans voting to keep it.

I find it hilarious that Republicans voted not to take power away from Obama.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Let's just get rid of constitutional amendments due to broad interpretations, too, then.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Let's just get rid of constitutional amendments due to broad interpretations, too, then.

What do you have against the Nineteenth Amendment? (heyo! :rimshot:)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

FAUXTON posted:

You know, the main body of that document is incredibly vague as well.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Actually, https://goatse.cx now hosts a two-minute advertisement for Dogecoin. I am completely serious, check the link if you don't believe me.

I... I didn't believe you.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

kelvron posted:

ZerglingMinor was a saint.

I think I'd rather have the Slender Man angry at me than ZM.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Brb gonna go murder someone so ZM will accept me and let me live in his woods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

if you can't see how trying A solution is better than trying NO solution, then whatever man, don't come crying to me.

That was a reaction to the linked thread. It's amazing. (I sent money to lessig, so I'm on board with hopeless causes.)

• Locked thread