Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Buy the house of your dreams and have another kid.

Make sure not to let some smooth talker sucker you into a 529 plan for them either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Man, my pension value transfer finally happened.

I had it assessed in October 2012, they estimated the value at 55k.

The markets have gone up like a shitload since then, so the value must be huge, right?

Nope. The value has plummeted to 34k. :psyboom: :suicide:

But, whatever. I wasn't going to do anything interesting with those tens of thousands of dollars I put into my pension since I was 19, no big deal!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

tuyop posted:

Man, my pension value transfer finally happened.

I had it assessed in October 2012, they estimated the value at 55k.

The markets have gone up like a shitload since then, so the value must be huge, right?

Nope. The value has plummeted to 34k. :psyboom: :suicide:

But, whatever. I wasn't going to do anything interesting with those tens of thousands of dollars I put into my pension since I was 19, no big deal!

...don't you have a website where you can check your balance?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

...don't you have a website where you can check your balance?

Hahahaha

This is the Canadian Forces Pension Services, man. They can't even tell you how the value is calculated. There is no "balance" or "account", it's a super secret arcane actuarial estimate that takes 8 months to produce an answer (and the deadline is 12 months so hurry!).

It's either a dude in Ottawa throwing files down a staircase and sending you money based on which stair your file lands on, or the whole thing is done with punch cards and checked by 13 year olds with abacuses.

I only know approximately how bad it is because I can look back at my pays and add up how much I put in.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Great news! I had a little chat with my boss's boss's boss on Monday, he was trying to convince me to stay. I was polite but of course he did not convince me.

But! He said at the end of our meeting that since he has to do workforce reduction anyway he's going to put me on the list and try to get me laid off, since it will help him to not have to fire someone else. I might get severance pay for quitting! :lol:

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Great news! I had a little chat with my boss's boss's boss on Monday, he was trying to convince me to stay. I was polite but of course he did not convince me.

But! He said at the end of our meeting that since he has to do workforce reduction anyway he's going to put me on the list and try to get me laid off, since it will help him to not have to fire someone else. I might get severance pay for quitting! :lol:

That's awesome!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
You guys knew it was coming: :siren:YNAB for $15 on Steam:siren:.

And yeah, you can just download the standalone version from the YNAB website and plug in your product key. There is no need to run the program through Steam.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

tuyop posted:

You guys knew it was coming: :siren:YNAB for $15 on Steam:siren:.

And yeah, you can just download the standalone version from the YNAB website and plug in your product key. There is no need to run the program through Steam.
Thanks, I just picked up a copy.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
Dropped some cash into Questrade and started my low MER portfolio of broad market ETFs today. Entered my transactions into Portfolio Slicer, and now I'm trying not to look at the prices until I make my next contribution in a few weeks....

Oh hey, I'm up $1.41!!!!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I decided not to go with that place I was looking at renting. The cost was just a bit too much for my blood.

BUT!

I went and looked at another place a few days ago, and while I didn't really like it either… the woman who showed it to me went back and spoke to her boss who gave me a call yesterday.

She owns some townhomes she rents out. $695 for a 2br 1.5 bath 2-story townhome. All utilities paid! And kitty cat friendly. :3: So, my rent would only go up $45.

I will get to go look at it in the next few days. Here's hoping.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grouco posted:

Dropped some cash into Questrade and started my low MER portfolio of broad market ETFs today. Entered my transactions into Portfolio Slicer, and now I'm trying not to look at the prices until I make my next contribution in a few weeks....

Oh hey, I'm up $1.41!!!!

I was supposed to sell all my XRB and instead sold all my ZRE because finance dyslexia I guess? Now I have to rebuy it all back. Bad news is transaction costs, good news is it hasn't spiked yet.

Also set up a schedule to distribute my meager pension funds. Hopefully everything crashes in the next three weeks!

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Juanito posted:

Thanks, I just picked up a copy.

So did I. Thanks, tuyop! :woop:

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Got a new job. Was not able to find 3D work here in Iceland and did not want to move, so took a gig learning to paint cars, which pays well for "unskilled" work, but less than 1/3 what I get in 3D. After 2 weeks of destroying my hands and back (oldest guy there), managed to find a job back in 3D for a significant raise. Finances were in order even on the lower salary, but this will allow us to save more.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

poopinmymouth posted:

Got a new job. Was not able to find 3D work here in Iceland and did not want to move, so took a gig learning to paint cars, which pays well for "unskilled" work, but less than 1/3 what I get in 3D. After 2 weeks of destroying my hands and back (oldest guy there), managed to find a job back in 3D for a significant raise. Finances were in order even on the lower salary, but this will allow us to save more.

That's excellent news :)

We got back from vacation yesterday, it was a good time and we managed to have about $500 left over from the money we took down there, which is good because I think I might need a new dehumidifier for the basement, ours has been acting up :(

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I've decided to go back to school to get my Masters. :smithicide:

The good news is, if I can complete it in two years, it will practically be free!

The cost is around 15k at WGU. I have 7k remaining in Teacher Loan Forgiveness that I didn't use on my loans from my Bachelors. And I can qualify for TEACH grants at 4k per year. 7k + 8k = 15k.

Free Masters! :) Plus it translates into an immediate 3.5k per year raise.

All in all I have paid a grand total of… 1.5k for my higher ed.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
That's pretty cool. Do you also have to work during it? If not that's extra good.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Yeah, I'll continue to work. I don't think it will be horrible though as I've really hit my stride within my classroom. Plus a lot of the work for my Masters will involve designing, implementing, and evaluating instruction within my classroom.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

spinst posted:

Yeah, I'll continue to work. I don't think it will be horrible though as I've really hit my stride within my classroom. Plus a lot of the work for my Masters will involve designing, implementing, and evaluating instruction within my classroom.

I've wondered about that. It seems like doing "research" on your own students would lack rigour and could be ethically problematic.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

tuyop posted:

I've wondered about that. It seems like doing "research" on your own students would lack rigour and could be ethically problematic.

Here's what the course says: "Capstone Project: Students must also complete a capstone project. For this project students will design, develop, and evaluate an instructional product for which there is an identified need. The capstone course of study is your guide to the completion of a successful capstone project." This is of course followed by an oral defense.

If I am going to spend time designing and developing a good product, I'm sure as heck gonna use it in my classroom!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

spinst posted:

Here's what the course says: "Capstone Project: Students must also complete a capstone project. For this project students will design, develop, and evaluate an instructional product for which there is an identified need. The capstone course of study is your guide to the completion of a successful capstone project." This is of course followed by an oral defense.

If I am going to spend time designing and developing a good product, I'm sure as heck gonna use it in my classroom!

What age are you teaching? The obvious solution, being what subforum you're in, is some sort of budgeting curriculum assuming the kids are old enough.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

spinst posted:

Yeah I would do exactly the same thing, but the course description doesn't say "implement" so I would probably omit the fact that I did, and just use the results of implementation as hypothetical consequences and the basis of contingency plans. I'm sure you know what you're doing though.

dreesemonkey posted:

What age are you teaching? The obvious solution, being what subforum you're in, is some sort of budgeting curriculum assuming the kids are old enough.

Yeah... I'd be more likely to do some project based thing with a group of students responsible for "finances". It's only tangentially related to most curricula, in Social Studies it would fit in with all the leadership and cooperation outcomes. For example, students could work to make a mural in the cafeteria (on, say, multiculturalism or whatever). The finance students act as constraints and make sure the plans are financially feasible so the students don't say they'll make the thing out of 600 iPads. That group's products are spreadsheets and such, they can even tie in with the business or accounting classes if that kind of thing exists. Then we do another project with different students in the finance group.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I teach students with moderate mental retardation. So, finances would go something like: "What is this? A quarter? How many cents?"

I focus a bit more on independent living skills and vocational skills. Also, staying awake and not hitting the teacher. :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

spinst posted:

I teach students with moderate mental retardation. So, finances would go something like: "What is this? A quarter? How many cents?"

I focus a bit more on independent living skills and vocational skills. Also, staying awake and not hitting the teacher. :)

Well :smith:.

What are you planning to do?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

spinst posted:

Ahhh ok, that's tough. My wife is an ID (MR) case manager so I get it.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I'm a project coordinator for a construction company. My main job duty is basically bookkeeping. My degree is in communications and before this I worked at an insurance call center for three years. I'm happy with my job right now, but I know this won't be enough forever. What career paths do people in this situation normally take? I'm seeing that other people at my company move into real estate, and one person got a project management certification and left for a promotion to project manager at another company.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

legsarerequired posted:

I'm a project coordinator for a construction company. My main job duty is basically bookkeeping. My degree is in communications and before this I worked at an insurance call center for three years. I'm happy with my job right now, but I know this won't be enough forever. What career paths do people in this situation normally take? I'm seeing that other people at my company move into real estate, and one person got a project management certification and left for a promotion to project manager at another company.

You're in luck! There's a Career Path Thread.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
A few weeks ago I decided to try bulk-buying some things I use regularly via an online retailer here in Australia. I mainly went for stuff like soaps and deodorant since the foods the website sold all seemed to be alarmingly close to their expiry date. By far my favourite 'deal' from this site was the box of glow-in-the-dark condoms that was being sold less than 3 weeks from when they were due to expire. :wtc:

It all arrived today, I hope I don't die of lead poisoning or something.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Any of you ever have a moment where you look back and think "wow, taking this job was the worst career mistake I've ever made"?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

legsarerequired posted:

PMP cert could help. See if they are willing to pay for it. Also it would help if you had a degree in construction management.

Are you on the job site and how big is the company you work for? Construction is picking up and if you have the right skills you can make some serious cash.

My wife is a field engineer (degree in CM) for a large GC. There is a lot of opportunity to grow and the possibility to move up or move out to other companies.

Your career path is typically 3 choices. Stay where you are, go the site superintendent role or go the project manager role. Or option four is just to get out.

Do you feel underpaid or what exactly?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Any of you ever have a moment where you look back and think "wow, taking this job was the worst career mistake I've ever made"?

MyLife.txt

On my phone so no wall of text but suffice to say that toxic workplaces are a hard thing to recover from if you spend too long there.

Also IT is an epic shitshow, I am a dumbass for not getting a degree... Not as big of a career mistake as 5 years at a hellishly toxic workplace tho.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

CountOfNowhere posted:

MyLife.txt

On my phone so no wall of text but suffice to say that toxic workplaces are a hard thing to recover from if you spend too long there.

Also IT is an epic shitshow, I am a dumbass for not getting a degree... Not as big of a career mistake as 5 years at a hellishly toxic workplace tho.

I think most IT workers hate their jobs after a while. Somewhere around the 3-5 year mark they realise that the nature of their job means it will be a perpetual uphill struggle.

Also, a degree won't necessarily solve all your problems, so don't pin all your hopes on it (unless you're getting knocked back from interviews for that specific reason). I've always had the problem of having a degree but little experience. I still think it's bullshit they advertise for a 'junior' position then knock applicants back due to lack of experience - isn't that the whole point?!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

FrozenVent posted:

teaching high school. Not because it hurt my career (lol at the concept of "careers" nowadays) but because it put me in a really bad mental spot for years afterwards.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

I feel like that at every job I take these days. Turns out there's more to career satisfaction than large paychecks.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sundae posted:

I feel like that at every job I take these days. Turns out there's more to career satisfaction than large paychecks.

Yeah I don't even have that to console me; if I'd stayed on the path I was on before I'd be making twice the money. Literally.

This place is imploding so fast it's funny; a coworker printed out a bunch of job posting and dropped them on my desk this morning. I'm expecting 60% of the staff will have left before November.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

See the world, they said. Join the army, they said.

Actually I learned so many relevant and broadly-applicable skills that I can't consider the army a mistake at all. Just a misstep I guess.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The misstep in your career was when you stepped into that hole with 250 lbs of equipment on your back though.

I did the merchant marine thing for a while, saw a fair bit of the world. Might go back to that if I can't find anything else.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I consider dropping out of college for no good reason a big mistake. I didn't like living in the US and moved back to Chile. I've had a good job for the last 6 years, but drat, now that I'm married and have a toddler, finishing college is going to be so much harder. I've taken online courses before my daughter was born, but haven't even tried since.

Big regret. It would have been much, much easier before.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

I did the merchant marine thing for a while, saw a fair bit of the world. Might go back to that if I can't find anything else.

I see some work as a sailboat helper in my future and I wish I had some history with boats so I knew even the smallest things.

Like what a sailboat helper is called. crew? Watchperson? Boatswain??

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

What the gently caress is a sailboat helper, even?

Go with "crewmember", "deckhand" if you want to be fancy. If it's a pleasure craft, leave it at that, wear your life jacket, get your PCOC at some point if you don't already have it, maybe take a CYA course if you really want.

Boatswain's the lead deckhand, basically. It's a rapidly vanishing position in the commercial world, but traditionally it's the grizzled old guy who's been around forever. Think unit sergeant, something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Paid off another small credit card - this one with no interest over the last year thanks to an interest-free promotion. Still glad to be rid of it. Two more low balance cards to bump off, then I can start moving that money to other things (aka paying off student loans, sigh). Slowly but surely...