Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I cannot recall a year where I've had this much fun watching the Brewers (2011 was ruined, as ever, by the Cardinals)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Farchanter posted:

If you guys haven't seen it yet, here's Phillies' PBP broadcaster Tom McCarthy calling, and then catching a home run in center field.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/70087564/v34084831/atlphi-mccarthy-catches-homer-throws-the-ball-back

He then throws it back when Jamie Moyer tells him to

N: Jamie Moyer looks old

V: How the hell was he still pitching up until two years ago?

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

N: Brewers first to 50 wins
V: Cardinals fans still insisting "it's a marathon not a sprint."

The Giants were the first to 40...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zakharov posted:

So how much of the hype is Red Sox Fog of War, and how much is legit?

Betts is legit. He's gotten on base in every game he's played in AAA. Had a streak of like 70 games getting on base in AA. This season he has 33 K to 51 BB. I don't know if he's ready ready, but since Victorino and Middlebrooks are both dead (they've both been completely poo poo down from baseball activity) the team needed more bats; until today they were carrying 13 pitchers..

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
In Minor League News, the Lynchburg Hillcats (High A-ATL) of the Carolina League No-Hit the Wilmington Blue Rocks (High A-KC)

Twice.

In a row.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

Nut Bunnies posted:

Oh goody, an opportunity to bring up the 2005 Orioles!!

Pretty strong October.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

Pretty strong October.

Well let's take into account that they did play 200 points over their pythag that month

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
There's a pretty interesting review going on in Cardinals-Dodgers right now regarding the plate blocking rule. On a wild pitch Dee Gordon tries to score from second, Lance Lynn ends up lying on the dirt in front of the plate, almost on top of it actually. So Dee has absolutely no lane to the plate. I think Dee would have been out anyway, but why should Lynn be able to block the plate like that, given the new rule?

(while I was typing this, they ended up reviewing and calling Dee out. But I think they're going to need to explain their reasoning).

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

The Born Approx. posted:

There's a pretty interesting review going on in Cardinals-Dodgers right now regarding the plate blocking rule. On a wild pitch Dee Gordon tries to score from second, Lance Lynn ends up lying on the dirt in front of the plate, almost on top of it actually. So Dee has absolutely no lane to the plate. I think Dee would have been out anyway, but why should Lynn be able to block the plate like that, given the new rule?

(while I was typing this, they ended up reviewing and calling Dee out. But I think they're going to need to explain their reasoning).

Isn't it the correct call because Lynn was in possession of the ball when he blocked the plate?

E: Quick and dirty from wikipedia: "By the rules of baseball, a runner has the right to an unobstructed path to a base. However, this right is not granted if the fielder guarding the base possesses the ball or is in the process of catching the ball."

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
I can't pull up the replay online, but it seemed like he was blocking the plate before he had the ball, which is what the new rule is about. But maybe I'm remembering it wrong now.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

The Born Approx. posted:

I can't pull up the replay online, but it seemed like he was blocking the plate before he had the ball, which is what the new rule is about. But maybe I'm remembering it wrong now.

I'm fairly certain he wasn't blocking before he had possession. Lynn had the ball before he started sliding.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
*checks date*

Hm yes, the Tigers are bad but also still good. But really they are really really bad, but sometimes good.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
The bullpen is just bad though, there is nothing good in there. Ever.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Thank goodness the Phillies have come to their senses and are back to tanking again. Whew

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Born Approx. posted:

I was at the game, he had the ball before he starting sliding.

It also didn't matter. Good lord, Cardinals.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Sooooooooo apparently Bryce is ready to roll.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

*checks date*

Hm yes, the Tigers are bad but also still good. But really they are really really bad, but sometimes good.

The Tigers: A Bad Good Team, or a Good Bad Team?

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

Thank goodness the Phillies have come to their senses and are back to tanking again. Whew

I'm just afraid they're going to rattle off a five-gamer immediately after the ASG and the moves the office makes won't be as drastic as they need to be.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Bryce is going to destroy us all, isn't he?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Groucho Marxist posted:

this reads like parody of the awful framing analysis, but it's somehow not

I was going to ask you to give some reasons for discussion, then I read it and it's just a breathless summary of old news leading to a conclusion that Jon Lucroy is better than Trout. Welp.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I still can't believe Trout hit a baseball that far on Friday

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

Yes but only if he can do it before he destroys himself.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Excellent.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mornacale posted:

I was going to ask you to give some reasons for discussion, then I read it and it's just a breathless summary of old news leading to a conclusion that Jon Lucroy is better than Trout. Welp.

It never says this but ok!

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

quote:

Mike Trout, a.k.a. The Greatest Player in the Game. It might be time to reconsider who should have that title.

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower

Abel Wingnut posted:

quote:

Easily the most overrated in baseball

quote:

Wow....really? This is one of the headlines on the ESPN mainpage? This overrated punk? oh, congrats on the hitting display in your MINOR LEAGUE REHAB ASSIGNMENT. We look forward to u returning to the majors to once again post your average numbers. But wait, lemme guess...."he's gonna be great, just not developed enough yet..." Yeah, or, he'll never be great, and what you see is what you're gonna get. He's good, but he's not great. Not an all-star(unless you count all the dumb fans that will probly vote him in). And DEFINITELY not worth all the Trout/Puig caliber hype he gets.

quote:

Did they really just talk about this on SportsCenter? ......a MLB player being able to hit AA pitching is nothing to get all excited about.....c'mon man

quote:

really, it is only the minor league. not big news...hasn't proved anything in the big show...ask mike trout what needs to be done.

:sigh:

e: I don't understand why people hate him. He's white and gritty. He should be loved!!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Storm posted:

e: I don't understand why people hate him. He's white and gritty. He should be loved!!

How many gift baskets has he given out in his career?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
People hate Bryce Harper because the national media won't shut the gently caress up about him. He's the MLB version of Tebow or LeBron. He gets more coverage than Trout or Miggy. Meanwhile, he's spent half of his MLB career on the DL. If everyone would just dial back the hype on him a little bit and stop talking about him like he's a scrappier Babe Ruth, then people could just appreciate his talent.

Also, he sort of is a punk?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Bryce Harper is super loving cool.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Mike Trout should start wearing cool rear end eye black, and destroying his body running into things at high speeds.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?
Also wasn't there an article about Bryce Harper when he was 16 and he had the gall to think he was good at baseball?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

Also wasn't there an article about Bryce Harper when he was 16 and he had the gall to think he was good at baseball?

He happened to be on the cover of Sports Illustrated for that too

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
He also doesn't hustle, which is an unforgivable crime

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

Except when he hustles too much. Then he's being reckless and cocky!

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Wrap it up, Bryce, a man named DeepDickPizza thinks you're a punk

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
The punkest thing about Harper is saying he was a Lakers/Cowboys/Yankees/Duke fan.

And that fauxhawk he had. That was straight Jello Biafra poo poo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DeepDickPizza posted:

People hate Bryce Harper because the national media won't shut the gently caress up about him. He's the MLB version of Tebow or LeBron. He gets more coverage than Trout or Miggy.

This hasn't been true since he was 17. Also there seems to be an implication here that LeBron somehow has not earned having people praise him or talk about him a lot which, what?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

MourningView posted:

This hasn't been true since he was 17. Also there seems to be an implication here that LeBron somehow has not earned having people praise him or talk about him a lot which, what?

When are people gonna get over this LeBron guy? Aren't his 15 minutes over?

network.guy
Jun 20, 2004

So many Cardinals errors yesterday, were they paid to throw the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

network.guy posted:

So many Cardinals errors yesterday, were they paid to throw the game?

Daniel Descalso is not a shortstop

• Locked thread