Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If a catcher drops a foul tip is it then considered a foul ball? Like if the catcher saw a runner going could he intentionally miss or drop a foul tip to prevent the runner from stealing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Popete posted:

If a catcher drops a foul tip is it then considered a foul ball? Like if the catcher saw a runner going could he intentionally miss or drop a foul tip to prevent the runner from stealing?

I don't think that's physically possible.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pander posted:

I don't think that's physically possible.

How so? Runner goes catcher sees the steal attempt catches the foul tip but lets it drop out of his glove. Is that then a foul ball and the runner has to return to 1st?

From Wikipedia:

quote:

However, the rules are very narrow: it is not a foul tip if the ball touches anything else on the way to the catcher's hand or glove or if it is not legally caught and held

Popete fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 28, 2014

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Slightly related, but if you're gonna try that at third, you have to be a bit more convincing than Mike Lowell. Ump called the infield line drive rule on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7HlWfsHEuM

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Popete posted:

How so? Runner goes catcher sees the steal attempt catches the foul tip but lets it drop out of his glove.

Because there's no way to know whether the batter will make contact until .01 seconds before you have to catch it. Nowhere near enough time to react. And if he swings and misses, you have to make the throw.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sure but you could intentionally drop it. Is there specifically a rule saying a catcher can't drop a foul tip similar to the infield fly/drive?

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

Popete posted:

Sure but you could intentionally drop it. Is there specifically a rule saying a catcher can't drop a foul tip similar to the infield fly/drive?

No there's nothing in the rules against dropping a foul tip. The only times intentionally dropped balls would still result in an out would be an infield fly situation, or an intentionally dropped line drive to an infielder with a runner on first and les than 2 out.

With a foul tip the thing to remember is that if it's caught properly it's just a swinging strike, and if not caught it's just a foul ball.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Groucho Marxist posted:

Because you just can't order your manager to make the lineup the way you see fit.

I'm sure they come into play in terms of the evaluation of the manager but, yeah, lineups are the manager's job and most gm's appear to respect the separation of responsibilities.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

Faxman posted:

or an intentionally dropped line drive to an infielder with a runner on first and les than 2 out.

:crossarms: Christ I thought I'd finally gotten to the bottom of all the convoluted minutiae in baseball's rules and could no longer be surprised by something, but sure enough, rule 6.05 (l):

quote:

An infielder intentionally drops a fair fly ball or line drive, with first, first and second, first and third, or first, second and third base occupied before two are out. The ball is dead and runner or runners shall return to their original base or bases;

APPROVED RULING: In this situation, the batter is not out if the infielder permits the ball to drop untouched to the ground, except when the Infield Fly rule applies

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Kittle posted:

:crossarms: Christ I thought I'd finally gotten to the bottom of all the convoluted minutiae in baseball's rules and could no longer be surprised by something, but sure enough, rule 6.05 (l):

Pretty much, if you can think of some kind of weird trick to get around the rules, someone thought of it 100 years ago and they made a rule.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
oops, wrong thread.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

Mornacale posted:

Pretty much, if you can think of some kind of weird trick to get around the rules, someone thought of it 100 years ago and they made a rule.

Yep, that's why blowing on the ball is considered touching it for the purpose of determining whether the ball is fair our foul, which is my favourite one of those rules.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Mornacale posted:

Watching baseball in the 1890s and 1900s must have been so awesome. Well, except for the racism, anyway.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bob Ojeda posted:

Watching baseball in the 1890s and 1900s must have been so awesome. Well, except for the racism, anyway.

But the mustaches

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

R.D. Mangles posted:

But the mustaches

Dope hats too

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Popete posted:

How so? Runner goes catcher sees the steal attempt catches the foul tip but lets it drop out of his glove. Is that then a foul ball and the runner has to return to 1st?

From Wikipedia:

Try it sometime. Have someone throw a ball at you, hard, and make a conscious attempt to let the ball drop out of the glove at the last second instead of catching it.

None of that is probably going to happen at baseball speed either (80-95 MPH) under the stated conditions (foul tip while crouching), but the gist should be similar: your body will have an instinct to catch the drat ball as a baseline. Only adjusting that baseline on the conditional of noticing a runner going with the additional coincidence of a foul tip? I sincerely doubt in the fraction of a second that spans the difference between a foul tip being hit and a ball hitting your glove that you can consciously decide to drop the foul tip. It's just too little time to react to.

At that point, your body is likely committed to throwing the runner out based on the expectation of a swing-and-miss or no-swing. The relatively low-likelihood event of a foul tip is a wild card that will either spawn its own dropped ball or be just a slight variation on a swing-and-a-miss. A catcher's been trained to throw to second in this event the vast majority of the time, and would not have a set plan to drop the ball on the off chance of a foul tip that an umpire may not even know was a foul tip.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pander posted:

Try it sometime. Have someone throw a ball at you, hard, and make a conscious attempt to let the ball drop out of the glove at the last second instead of catching it.

None of that is probably going to happen at baseball speed either (80-95 MPH) under the stated conditions (foul tip while crouching), but the gist should be similar: your body will have an instinct to catch the drat ball as a baseline. Only adjusting that baseline on the conditional of noticing a runner going with the additional coincidence of a foul tip? I sincerely doubt in the fraction of a second that spans the difference between a foul tip being hit and a ball hitting your glove that you can consciously decide to drop the foul tip. It's just too little time to react to.

At that point, your body is likely committed to throwing the runner out based on the expectation of a swing-and-miss or no-swing. The relatively low-likelihood event of a foul tip is a wild card that will either spawn its own dropped ball or be just a slight variation on a swing-and-a-miss. A catcher's been trained to throw to second in this event the vast majority of the time, and would not have a set plan to drop the ball on the off chance of a foul tip that an umpire may not even know was a foul tip.

Yeah I get that you wouldn't be able to consciously not catch a foul tip (I play ball for reference). But you could catch it and just immediately drop it a-la the line drive infield fly play mentioned above. There is no rule saying you can't drop a foul tip even if it looks intentional. Could the umpire do anything about it? Or would the base runner have to return to their base as per a foul ball?

My guess is the umpire would call it a strike/stolen base in a game situation. But technically would the umpire be wrong? There seems to be no infield fly kind of rule for intentionally dropped foul tips.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
How often does a rookie hitter develop a better eye in the majors? I'm looking at George Springer and he's having a great season for a rookie, only problem being he strikes out just about 33% of the time. He's actually on pace for over 230 strikeouts. Are a lot of strikeouts from a rookie a result of major league pitching, or is it likely he'll stay roughly the same?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

gleep gloop posted:

How often does a rookie hitter develop a better eye in the majors? I'm looking at George Springer and he's having a great season for a rookie, only problem being he strikes out just about 33% of the time. He's actually on pace for over 230 strikeouts. Are a lot of strikeouts from a rookie a result of major league pitching, or is it likely he'll stay roughly the same?

Springer actually has a good eye. He doesn't swing a lot and he doesn't tend to swing at bad pitches. He swings really freaking hard which lends itself to swing-and-miss. There are not a lot of players who can do what he's doing but guys like Adam Dunn and Jim Thome had good careers while living in the extremes (three true outcomes or TTO hitters who strikeout, walk, or homer a lot more than other players but that's really hard to do which is why there are only a few hitters who have done it). Don't listen to anybody who says for certain that he will get better or worse at striking out. Those people are picking one side of the argument. There are 3 scenarios (let's call it three true outcomes, if you will) for Springer:

1. Pitchers adjust but Springer adjusts adequately allowing him to continue to walk this fine line that very few players can maintain
2. Pitchers adjust but Springer makes better adjustments allowing him to improve his strikeout rate over time
3. Pitchers adjust but Springer does not and he becomes Chris Carter or BJ Upton or Mark Reynolds at the plate

He's very athletic, though, so he should be a pretty good outfielder for a while which will make up for some of his value if he goes through slumps. Most of the well-known career TTO guys didn't/don't have a lot of value as fielders.

As far as what players do, most rookies struggle with making more outs thanks to major league pitching at first. Most good hitters will adjust over time, because that's what defines them as being a good hitter. For Springer, that means missing less often. I don't think anybody can say with any certainty what he will do at this point.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Will the yankees make playoffs this year?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Will the yankees make playoffs this year?

Depending how much stock you put in playoff odds, probably not - http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/

I mean, bearing in mind there's an entire other half of the season and BASEBALL and all.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

dunno, trade deadline could be good to them

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I know ERA only counts earned runs, i.e. not runs scored off an error. But what if the error is the pitcher's fault, like a wild pitch or a balk? Does any run scored off that count toward ERA or not?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I know ERA only counts earned runs, i.e. not runs scored off an error. But what if the error is the pitcher's fault, like a wild pitch or a balk? Does any run scored off that count toward ERA or not?

Doesn't matter if it's the pitcher's fault or not, if it's an error it's unearned. Wild Pitches and Balks are not errors, though.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Yeah, errors are for fielding. The pitcher as a fielder is essentially considered a different person than the pitcher as a pitcher. But as said, wild pitches and balks are pitching not fielding and therefore aren't errors.

But if the pitcher bobbles or throws away a fielded ball in play, that would be an error and potentially cause runs to be unearned.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Okay cool, that makes sense. Thanks.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So Miggy is up to 34 doubles. Some people are saying he might reach 60 this year. From what I've read, this seems like it'd be a pretty big deal. How much of an accomplishment would that be relatively to the other stuff he's done? Does he have any kind of shot at breaking 67?

Also is there anything to the notion that a player would intentionally hit doubles to keep the opposing team constantly pitching in traffic or is a player pretty much gonna always hit home runs if they can. I ask cause I'm curious if Miggy is intentionally hitting more doubles or if his power is starting to drop.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

He hit a triple the other day which goes to show he's not really serious about breaking the record. Very disappointing in my opinion.

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

VJeff posted:

So Miggy is up to 34 doubles. Some people are saying he might reach 60 this year. From what I've read, this seems like it'd be a pretty big deal. How much of an accomplishment would that be relatively to the other stuff he's done? Does he have any kind of shot at breaking 67?

Also is there anything to the notion that a player would intentionally hit doubles to keep the opposing team constantly pitching in traffic or is a player pretty much gonna always hit home runs if they can. I ask cause I'm curious if Miggy is intentionally hitting more doubles or if his power is starting to drop.

Basically players just try to make solid contact most of the time (sometimes they swing for homers). If a player gets a double, he's super happy cause getting even a hit is hard. If a player hits a homer, he's even more happy because dingers rule.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

VJeff posted:

Could be any number of factors. Could be power dropping with age or some slight injury. Could be change in luck (lower HR/FB). Could be that the air around Comerica has changed density/humidity or some other park factor that's decreasing home run rates slightly.

The one thing it's probably not is him deciding "instead of homers I'm going to hit doubles", because doubles are never better than homers in every single case ever forever.

It's probably just luck.

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.
Is the All-Star Game blacked out for international customers of MLB.tv? Going to be sad if I can't watch it with four Mariners on the lineup.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

Krigen posted:

Is the All-Star Game blacked out for international customers of MLB.tv? Going to be sad if I can't watch it with four Mariners on the lineup.

Nope it's available :)

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.

Kittle posted:

Nope it's available :)

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply, going to call my family/friends now and try to drag them over tomorrow, aim to teach them my love of this Yankee sport. :v:

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

VJeff posted:

Doubles have a strong correlation with power. Players who hit a lot of doubles can potentially see a spike in home runs (think Luis Gonzalez), and players not hitting as many home runs but continuing to hit doubles doesn't necessarily mean their power is gone. Which isn't to say that is not a factor, as it may be. Doubles are good, though!

Outside of slap hits/bunts, basically no type of hit is intentional. You definitely wouldn't "try" to hit a double as opposed to a home run. Home runs just happen with good power.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Lemme ask a random question:

My in-laws are planning on visiting us in Boston this spring and they want to see a Red Sox game.

Obviously the cheaper the better.

1) when does the next years schedule typically come out?

2) would it be possible for me to be able to buy tickets when they go on sale or not? I ask this because looking at games for the rest of the season, everything is sold out and it's all only available on stubhub, etc.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

nwin posted:

Lemme ask a random question:

My in-laws are planning on visiting us in Boston this spring and they want to see a Red Sox game.

Obviously the cheaper the better.

1) when does the next years schedule typically come out?

2) would it be possible for me to be able to buy tickets when they go on sale or not? I ask this because looking at games for the rest of the season, everything is sold out and it's all only available on stubhub, etc.

If you're just looking to attend one game, it is almost always cheapest to wait and pick up tickets on Stubhub.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
MLB releases the tentative master schedule for next season in September but those dates aren't 100% confirmed yet. Most teams start selling individual game tickets in February or March.

And yeah wait for Stubhub, especially for the Red Sox. They have the highest average ticket price in baseball and their "sellouts" are frauds. Unless you want like a weekend game against the Yankees or a special promo/event game you can do better on your own.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElwoodCuse posted:

MLB releases the tentative master schedule for next season in September but those dates aren't 100% confirmed yet. Most teams start selling individual game tickets in February or March.

And yeah wait for Stubhub, especially for the Red Sox. They have the highest average ticket price in baseball and their "sellouts" are frauds. Unless you want like a weekend game against the Yankees or a special promo/event game you can do better on your own.

So wait a sec-could I potentially pay less for tickets on stub hub than buying then directly from redsox.com? I just always assumed I would pay more.

I'm also military, so that could be an option for some cheap standing room tickets-I know neither of the in-laws are fans, they just want to see a game at Fenway.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Drive them an hour up to Manchester and watch the Fisher Cats :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ayn rand hand job posted:

Drive them an hour up down to Manchester Pawtucket and watch the Fisher Cats Red Sox :colbert:

• Locked thread