Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Guys, I've been thinking about no longer wearing safety goggles in my chainsaw fighting league. Is this a good idea?

Definitely ask your paring coach first. Some gyms do it differently (iirc an old gym i used to attend required you to bow on and ask to join class if you didn't bring goggles, sign of respect), but honestly why not? A couple of guys I used to spar with (they overtrained, too many injuries, not enough oxy, etc.) ditched them to work exclusively rib and abdomen flesh before big comps, and it's a good reminder that you're not going for the neck or eye sockets. Otherwise, though, it's just asking for a detached retina or broken orbital imho.

edit: not gonna lie though, it's kind of a pain when guys just happen to 'lose' their goggles right before sparring. just leave it in your loving bag or w/e it's not that hard

Eat Bum Zen fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Re Gloves:

I have the Top King Super Air gloves in 12oz.The leather is great , the room compartment is a little bit tight with some handwraps but with everlast or hayabusa handwraps I don't have problems.Also the construcction of the glove is different than traditional ones, the wrist support is integral instead of being a separate piece sawed into the glove.So take into account if you do a lot thai clinch.

Also the thumb retainer is a very thin leather strap that may not be as resistant as the whole thumb strap of the fairtex and twins gloves.

They were 50€ including shipping so B++,A-

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
e: oops, posted too soon

So I've been boxing for around 4 months now after being advised it will be easier to find quality boxing gyms than krav classes.

Over the next few weeks I won't have access to a boxing gym as I'll be travelling. I figured I would shadow box and throw a jump rope in my luggage, but does anyone else have advice for conditioning routines to do with bodyweight to stay in shape?

Also, I'm not sure that I want to spar - I'm just a little concerned about 1, brain damage, and 2, meeting clients with, like, a giant black eye, 3, I feel pretty bad when I end up hurting people, which did happen once when someone just blocked very badly and got mildly concussed. I've done it twice now, and while I actually enjoyed it even though it was mostly just getting beat up, I'm not sure about continuing. Are there people in the thread who have done boxing without sparring?

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 29, 2014

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
A new study using regression analysis looking at strength/power exercises and punching acceleration: http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2014/07000/Predicting_Punching_Acceleration_From_Selected.6.aspx

If you don't have access, squat power and bench strength link strongly to punching acceleration. More data that backs up the need to do resistance training to improve punching speed/performance.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

A new study using regression analysis looking at strength/power exercises and punching acceleration: http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2014/07000/Predicting_Punching_Acceleration_From_Selected.6.aspx

If you don't have access, squat power and bench strength link strongly to punching acceleration. More data that backs up the need to do resistance training to improve punching speed/performance.

Interesting! I'm going to be continuing my ordinary weight training regardless, so this is good to know.

e: actually, while I have you, how does height interact with punching force? I'd assume more b/c longer lever arm, but I also have always had a hard time with the physics of human bodies.

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 29, 2014

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

That's interesting and good to know. On a related note I have always found punching and kicking with hand and ankle weights helpful for speed and power development but I read that there was potentially a negative effect as your body gets used to doing the pattern of movement slowly.

Anyone know about this? I think it was a study on basketball players using a weighted ball.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I did the "punching with weights in your hands" thing this week. Though I was skeptical, I see value in it now. They were just these 1kg or 2kg rectangular things designed to fill up a weighted vest.

I found shadowboxing with them slowly was cool, it struck me as an easy way to resistance-train keeping your guard up, as well as forcing me to not waste my strength on sloppy punches, have to keep it sharp and technical to minimize the waste of effort. And after a couple of rounds with weights, shadowboxing without weights made my arms feel as light as air.

Maybe the karate nerds are onto something? On the flipside, I'm the worst boxer alive, so

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How many of you judo/sambo/bjj guys are grappling without gi also? I do it so irregularly that sparring without a jacket just confuses me a lot every time I fight like that. Any tips on no-gi grappling?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Our head boxing coach (Ray Medel, a champion from Zarzamora Street Gym, coached by Tony Ayala sr. himself) always makes people first shadow box without weights, shadow box with rubberbands, and then with 1-2kg weights to start about every class. You see, you get all sorts of different resistances that way, and variety is good. If you only ever boxed with weights it might be stupid, but that is a case I have never even heard of. I also get it that yeah you can become pretty slow if you never punch, only bench a poo poo ton of iron, but do both and, well, what Lt. Shiny-sides said. From personal experience, my recent weight lifting activities have not slowed me down much or made my punches any weaker. Sure, my cardio is down when doing striking, but I would expect that if you do less cardio and more lifting.

I'm inclined to think they all are on to something even if I'm not a sports scientist myself. Zarzamora has produced dozens of champions who have won hundreds of medals so I don't think anyone coming from that gives lovely or unproven advice when it comes to punching.

Striking with weights used to have a bad reputation in certain circles at one point, but I think it was because dorks did it with really heavy dumbbells.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ligur posted:

Our head boxing coach (Ray Medel, a champion from Zarzamora Street Gym, coached by Tony Ayala sr. himself) always makes people first shadow box without weights, shadow box with rubberbands, and then with 1-2kg weights to start about every class. You see, you get all sorts of different resistances that way, and variety is good. If you only ever boxed with weights it might be stupid, but that is a case I have never even heard of. I also get it that yeah you can become pretty slow if you never punch, only bench a poo poo ton of iron, but do both and, well, what Lt. Shiny-sides said. From personal experience, my recent weight lifting activities have not slowed me down much or made my punches any weaker. Sure, my cardio is down when doing striking, but I would expect that if you do less cardio and more lifting.

I'm inclined to think they all are on to something even if I'm not a sports scientist myself. Zarzamora has produced dozens of champions who have won hundreds of medals so I don't think anyone coming from that gives lovely or unproven advice when it comes to punching.

Striking with weights used to have a bad reputation in certain circles at one point, but I think it was because dorks did it with really heavy dumbbells.

I mean, 16 oz gloves are already half a kilogram. I don't think shadow boxing with 1kg weights for a bit will destroy your joints.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

How many of you judo/sambo/bjj guys are grappling without gi also? I do it so irregularly that sparring without a jacket just confuses me a lot every time I fight like that. Any tips on no-gi grappling?

Do it more and learn some wrestling.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Depending on what you use for gi grappling, you can substitute slightly different grips to accommodate no-gi for a few moves (wrist instead of sleeve and a few others).

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

ManOfTheYear posted:

Nogi rocks! I do half and half, but I definitely enjoy nogi more. It's just so much more smooth and complex than newaza, you can actually complete a thought instead of having to stutter your way through the positions, pausing every few seconds to dislodge an opponent who's trying to use their grip strength to clamp down and buy enough time to figure out what their next move should be. If you have any specific questions feel free to fire away and I'm sure there are a lot of people here who will have insightful advice.

As for basic tips my #1 piece of advice would be to study Marcelo Garcia's BJJ. He's a world class grappler who started in Judo and has done an amazing job bringing the economy of movement (seiryoku zen'yō) that we prize so highly into the world of modern BJJ.

Ultimately it's all a question of relative hip movement, just like in Judo: It doesn't really matter what grip you have as long as you're drawing out their hip actions into longer movements to find opportunities to attack their weight as it's rising or falling. I'm not saying you can't just slam into people and then wrap around their posting leg to knock them over, but that's almost certainly going to put you in a bad position for following through into groundwork, compared to throwing with good tai sabaki and controlling their fall so you can land right into a pin or submission.

As for the jacket confusion, I've been there myself. I could write a ton about nogi gripfighting, but honestly I'm not sure how much that would help without a live demonstration, so I'm going to just advocate a specific strategy that is very safe and reliable, and trust that it will give you enough of a solid ground to get comfortable and start exploring on your own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3mTuhOvLO8 This same grip pattern works from seated guard, from knees, from standing, vs a standing opponent, vs open guard, etc. You can probably see how it's sort of analogous to the lift in uchikomi (you don't have to do that specific back take, just complete it however seems appropriate to the situation). It's a very solid 'go to' and combines well with the collar&elbow style grip that you're used to from Judo. Hope that helps!

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 29, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ridleys Revenge posted:

As for the jacket confusion, I've been there myself. I could write a ton about nogi gripfighting, but honestly I'm not sure how much that would help without a live demonstration, so I'm going to just advocate a specific strategy that is very safe and reliable, and trust that it will give you enough of a solid ground to get comfortable and start exploring on your own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3mTuhOvLO8 This same grip pattern works from seated guard, from knees, from standing, vs a standing opponent, vs open guard, etc. It's a very solid 'go to' and combines well with the collar&elbow style grip that you're used to from Judo. Hope that helps!

Hah its funny you posted almost exactly what I was going to say. I was going to mention that, for whatever reason, Russian tie-up style grips for no-gi make sense to me coming from a gi background. I wonder if its just coincidence or if there is some reason for that. I'm a taller guy that is not very explosive so I find shooting and quick burst style wrestling doesn't work for me but I can use my height and reach to tie-up and then kinda ride people into the floor or get a single leg.

Its ugly but it works better than other techniques I've tried.

This is what I do for no-gi standup except imagine it way less efficient and smooth with that nice disconnected hi-effort low result flow that comes from not being good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw0PoIBRRcw

What I would love to be able to do is hit lateral drops off a tie-up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JmhIIhKjPM

I can manage it versus much lighter people every so often but can't usually get enough momentum to throw larger or same size guys.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 29, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

I can manage it versus much lighter people every so often but can't usually get enough momentum to throw larger or same size guys.

Usually when you get lateral drops against a guy that's any good it's because you've caught him pushing into you, so if you want to be successful at them with bigger guys concentrate on setting that up.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fatherdog posted:

Usually when you get lateral drops against a guy that's any good it's because you've caught him pushing into you, so if you want to be successful at them with bigger guys concentrate on setting that up.

I do try and lighter guys usually push back hard enough to give opportunities but bigger people can just kind of hunker down when I try to bait/ force them to lean. Maybe I should be looking to get to the back with that reaction?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

e: whoops wrong thread

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

semicolonsrock posted:

Interesting! I'm going to be continuing my ordinary weight training regardless, so this is good to know.

e: actually, while I have you, how does height interact with punching force? I'd assume more b/c longer lever arm, but I also have always had a hard time with the physics of human bodies.

There was a study the came out this year that found that untrained people punch with far greater force when punching down. They linked it to lat involvement. One of the conclusions the authors came to was that this might be part of the reason woman tend to be more attracted to taller guys. The taller you are, the better you are in a fight... If you're a cave man.

As far as lever arms, if you have the strength to move a long lever arm you will have greater force. The thing is, lots of tall humans don't have the strength to move long lever arms like shorter people do.

Dysgenesis posted:

That's interesting and good to know. On a related note I have always found punching and kicking with hand and ankle weights helpful for speed and power development but I read that there was potentially a negative effect as your body gets used to doing the pattern of movement slowly.

Anyone know about this? I think it was a study on basketball players using a weighted ball.

I do believe that striking with a light load (like 1kg) will increase power. If you get too heavy you are fundamentally changing the movement and there won't be carry over. It can even have negative effects, there are plenty of studies that show that loading too heavy or too distally on the limb (greater torque at the joint) will negatively effect performance.

My issue with holding dumbbells while shadow boxing is that you are going to have to decelerate your punches at the end of the movement more than if you were shadow boxing without weights. Those deceleration forces may carry over to your regular punches and result in a neurologically learned pulled punch. I'm going to be answering this question soon doing a study on the acute effects of weighted shadow boxing, weighted bag work, and regular shadow boxing.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

I do try and lighter guys usually push back hard enough to give opportunities but bigger people can just kind of hunker down when I try to bait/ force them to lean. Maybe I should be looking to get to the back with that reaction?

If they're sinking their center and hipping in, pick up the single or hit an inside trip. If they're just lowering their whole level, snapdown and work front-headlocks.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

fatherdog posted:

If they're sinking their center and hipping in, pick up the single or hit an inside trip. If they're just lowering their whole level, snapdown and work front-headlocks.

hmmm nice! I've been getting the snap down headlocks but when they sink and hip in is where I've been struggling. Do you have any videos/pictures for inside trips off the russian single?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

hmmm nice! I've been getting the snap down headlocks but when they sink and hip in is where I've been struggling. Do you have any videos/pictures for inside trips off the russian single?

I could probably help you out but I have no idea what a Russian single is.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Do you mean a russian tie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VApC50a78ak

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

In this case I usually go for the outside trip (a foot sweep, really) first, and transition to the inside trip as they'd want to step over your foot and turn to face you as a defense. Plus if the outside trip works it puts you in a much better position.

I like making some distance after I hit inside trips so I can attack the legs before they can close their guard, assuming I'm not competing under sambo or catch rules that reward pins.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 30, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I like making some distance after I hit inside trips so I can attack the legs before they can close their guard, assuming I'm not competing under sambo or catch rules that reward pins.

If you look at 0:27 of the video where he explains how to put your hand to block the hip - I do that, but instead of the hip I put my hand on his quad/knee so it's held down for a second, which gives me the opportunity to high-leg the leg I'm not doing the trip with over his leg and be in half-guard rather than full guard.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

fatherdog posted:

If you look at 0:27 of the video where he explains how to put your hand to block the hip - I do that, but instead of the hip I put my hand on his quad/knee so it's held down for a second, which gives me the opportunity to high-leg the leg I'm not doing the trip with over his leg and be in half-guard rather than full guard.

Yeah, I do that thigh pin even when I'm attacking the high leg so I can set up a good leg control position where the other guy can't stand up on the free leg. I also consider leg control to be a more advantageous position than half-guard, which isn't really the case in dumb babby sports where you can't reap.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Going to a bjj class tonight after not having trained it on a consistent basis for like 4 years, I'm 4 months out from shoulder surgery and I'm 40 lbs heavier from when I used to train :ohdear: I'm scared

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Just remember to have fun and keep a clear head- I sometimes find that I'm better when I come back after a break, like I know I can trust my intuition to present me with the right answers when I get stuck in a position, but I'm not doing as much active calculation so I move more freely. I've also made the classic mistake of coming back with something to prove and re-injuring myself as a result. It sucks, I wouldn't recommend it. Good luck!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Whenever I come back after a break I am usually hit with some kind of powerful insight that helps me in the long run. One time it was "wait, all my go-to moves are garbage!" and I had to back away to more objectively assess my game and start making changes.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I've been doing kickboxing maybe once a month the past year, and usually on Sunday morning groups where the boys and girls are not the most experienced or don't train contact fighting that much. So basically I've been on a break from Savate, right?

I went to a regular technique class the other day where I was paired with guys from the competition/national team, like, I've done this longer than most of them and I'm pretty much the heaviest guy in the room so naturally?

I had a revelation, too. It was that my cardio for kickboxing is poo poo, up to a point it really doesn't matter what I know because I'm going to be too tired to do it, my legs are very slow, and I suck. :(

That said, I'm slightly annoyed about this, decided to take a short break from lifting and attend a few of these longer classes and see where I'm at in a few weeks. edit: wtf, I edited in the fact it was awful and now most of the text was gone

Ligur fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 3, 2014

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, I do that thigh pin even when I'm attacking the high leg so I can set up a good leg control position where the other guy can't stand up on the free leg. I also consider leg control to be a more advantageous position than half-guard, which isn't really the case in dumb babby sports where you can't reap.

For the life of me I can't secure a russian tie. It's something to do with my shoulder pressure and head positioning. I feel like the tie should work towards my strength advantage, but I must be setting the grab up incorrectly because the amount of time it takes me to secure the arm telegraphs the poo poo out of any single attempt.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Eat Bum Zen posted:

For the life of me I can't secure a russian tie. It's something to do with my shoulder pressure and head positioning. I feel like the tie should work towards my strength advantage, but I must be setting the grab up incorrectly because the amount of time it takes me to secure the arm telegraphs the poo poo out of any single attempt.

Hug the arm to your chest, making it a part of you, like when you do an armbar. Get low and keep circling, while dragging their arm away from them. Your head shouldn't have too much to do with it, the pressure is from your shoulder on their upper tricep. If you can't take a new person all the way down to the mat just with your pressure, you're doing it wrong. You need to keep circling and transition to something else quickly -- taking their back, sweep single, foot sweep, whatever -- since there's nothing else to block them from facing you. It's not a position you're going to be settling into, and then thinking about your next move. If you're doing a single, you don't need to secure the arm first; that split second where they have to adjust to your drag attempt is when you shoot.

Like, if I really secure the arm on a Russian tie, I don't need to shoot, since it's such a good position. I can just foot sweep or take their back and not have to do a shot that might wind up with me on the bottom. Most of the time you shoot because you go for the tie and they pull their arm back or face you and aren't think about sprawling when they do that.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 3, 2014

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

I really like Marcelo's 2on1 game (where you just claw in at their elbow with your hand instead of wrapping your arm all the way over like in the russian tie ), and I've gotta say it has really unlocked some great stuff for me in nogi.

Just reiterating something Mecha already said, it's important that you 'make the arm yours' and hold it tightly to you once you've got the grip. I think the ultimate goal is to achieve some control over their far shoulder through their controlled arm, and that only happens when you've got a lot of tension built up.

For attacks, Marcelo suggests throwing the arm across their body if you need to create openings to shoot in or get under their close hip, but it's also important to know that one of the biggest strengths of the position is that it always provides attack opportunities when they go to break free (most often this means armdrags to the far arm when they reach out to strip you off).

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Ultragonk posted:

A question about protection. In Europe fencing protection generally revolves around mask, gloves, shin pads and a jacket. I'd like to fence without a jacket has anyone done this?

Assuming you weren't joking about this, why would you ever want to do this? I'm mainly a foilist and once got hit in the hand so hard that I bled, and that was just from impact alone - the blade never pierced my glove.
This makes me legitimately curious as to why you want to ditch the safety gear.

BirdOfPlay, I loving love fencing and would love to hear any interesting stories you have.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I went to a combat sambo seminar yesterday and apparently heelhooks aren't legal in sambo. That ruins everything I thought I knew.

On the bright side: ~*SuplexeS*~

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I went to a combat sambo seminar yesterday and apparently heelhooks aren't legal in sambo. That ruins everything I thought I knew.

Sport Sambo is actually a lot more restrictive in terms of holds than people realize.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Sport sambo doesn't have chokes either. However, all that poo poo is legal in combat sambo so people tend to train with them. You won't find many sambo guys who don't know heelhooks.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 5, 2014

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
gently caress heelhooks forever. Heelhooks are pretty much the only grappling technique that makes me cringe just thinking about it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The very first two techniques I learned in grappling were a single leg takedown and a heelhook.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Heelhooks are really easy. You might as well just stick to ankle locks when you train, since pretty much any position you can finish an ankle lock you could do a heel hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The sambo guy showed me a trio of cool throws that were similar to o goshi, harai goshi and o soto gari, but you got the lift by kind of smashing your heel into the ground and I think what generated the lift was the act of your leg straightening. Sambo guys got any idea what these are called? I really like them.

• Locked thread