Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So if when it breaks down can you just call your buddy with a pickup truck and throw it in the back? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

88h88 posted:

This made me howl.

But there's kids running modded Power Wheels and there's no way to tell so he may still end up getting embarrassed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4vwOdn26Bk

Late to the party, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqcYie8LPMM

Very cool car, 13", sad to see the Panther go but maybe next time I'm in Seattle I'll try to come by your shop. Hopefully I'll be in a relatively interesting vehicle, maybe a Panther of my own, we can JO but no gay poo poo.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I found this whilst looking at Honda Beats. It's got quite a backstory...

http://www.kgfclassiccars.co.uk/details.php?cid=295

quote:

An incredible story befitting an incredible car!

This example was built in 1975 and first registered on 1 April 1976 to a wealthy Japanese lady living in London. Much of her time was spent outside of the UK and the Honda subsequently was kept alongside her Jenson Interceptor in a heated underground garage owned by Iniveral Parking Ltd, who held the keys and were instructed to start the cars regularly. The lady for some reason never returned from one trip and the two cars spent 26 years in the garage accumulating a hefty parking charge whereupon non-payment, Iniveral Paking Ltd applied through the courts for legal title of the cars and became the second registered owner. A Mr Townsend purchased both vehicles thus becoming the third registered owner of the Honda, but he only wanted the Jenson and subsequently sold the Civic to the last registered owner Mr Preston on 30th November 2003. An avid collector of early Honda Civics, Mr Preston has owned over 50 of them including no less than seven at one time! This example being the pinnacle piece in his collection was fully re-commissioned and has benefitted from fastidious storage and no-expense spared strict annual servicing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vxwlTwrlY0

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

LoreOfSerpents posted:

I don't know if it's just placebo effect, but the car seems to handle so much better that you should take the credit even if you didn't work on it.

It's not placebo effect.

It's spiders. Lots and lots of spiders.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There's gotta be a reason why all of our handling and suspension goodies come from Australia of all places, I guess.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There's gotta be a reason why all of our handling and suspension goodies come from Australia of all places, I guess.

Redback juice?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:supaburn:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Heh, finally something that makes the honda look normal sized :)

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Brigdh posted:

Heh, finally something that makes the honda look normal sized :)

Is this the opposite of compensating, or something?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, there's no reason it can be smaller than-

86.6 vs 95.3

Holy poo poo the Civic is small.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 226 days!)

It's still easier to laugh at someone elses' misfortune when it is self-indu...OH NOW I GET IT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LM0CZZ9Uw8

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dante Logos posted:

Is this the opposite of compensating, or something?

Not really, no. I don't feel the need to brag about the size of my penis.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Me neither.

Not through my user name or anything.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

13 INCH DICK posted:

:golfclap:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

13 INCH DICK posted:

But by not bragging aren't you really bragging?

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

But by not bragging aren't you really bragging?

Reverse psychology, baby.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
The humblebrag. Oldest trick in the book :smuggo:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

13 INCH DICK posted:

More of a trouser clockspider, really.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think we have a new thread title.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

IOwnCalculus posted:

Cockspider?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

KozmoNaut posted:

Cockspider?

They call him.. Spider.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

What in the ever loving gently caress

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you've never watched The Mighty Boosh you really owe it to yourself.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's hit and miss but when it hits there's fatalities from laughing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you remember when Old Greg was a thing a while back, that was from Mighty Boosh, if that sways you one way or the other.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't post much in ai but i am nodding approvingly at this thread. Cannot wait for the day the biturbo finally happens

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Your enjoyment of the Mighty Boosh is completely based on whether you want to strangle Noel Fielding or not after watching for five minutes.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Starter failed. It makes the most godawful I'm eating myself alive internally noise trying to crank over. The plus side, I can bump start it easier than any other car I've ever owned, even from full cold in the morning!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
It only weighs six ounces. I'm not surprised you can lean start it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Adapt a kickstarter from a 70's Goldwing and problem solved

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

13 INCH DICK posted:

Starter failed. It makes the most godawful I'm eating myself alive internally noise trying to crank over. The plus side, I can bump start it easier than any other car I've ever owned, even from full cold in the morning!

Do you just kind of stick your left foot out the door and scoot yourself along?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
On small, light cars, you can learn to get the car moving fast enough by pushing it, run to the door, jump in and bump it without assistance. Comes with a distinct risk of unintended ghost riding, but it is possible.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

On flat ground (in Florida? I know) I can usually push-start the Protege when needed just by pushing on the door sill. Comes with the added bonus of being able to hold the steering wheel straight, and it's a hell of a lot easier to hop in the seat once you're going fast enough.

We had to help a guy push start a car once (well, several times) when I was at Sears. Dude wanted to do it himself, so we pushed it with him sitting in it. 4 times in a row, he let the clutch out too slow, so instead of turning the engine over it just locked the wheels and skidded to a stop; he kept saying "I don't know, man, I think the clutch is worn out." I finally told him to GTFO, we pushed it one more time and I got it popped the first time. One of those "America need better driver training" moments.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

InitialDave posted:

On small, light cars, you can learn to get the car moving fast enough by pushing it, run to the door, jump in and bump it without assistance. Comes with a distinct risk of unintended ghost riding, but it is possible.

I used to push start my old 1980 Datsun pickup by just sticking my leg out the door and pushing. It's easy as poo poo with light cars.

8ender posted:

Adapt a kickstarter from a 70's Goldwing and problem solved

Looking at the starter on the 1978 Goldwing sitting in my garage, I have a feeling it's much too big for this application.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Fucknag posted:

We had to help a guy push start a car once (well, several times) when I was at Sears. Dude wanted to do it himself, so we pushed it with him sitting in it. 4 times in a row, he let the clutch out too slow, so instead of turning the engine over it just locked the wheels and skidded to a stop; he kept saying "I don't know, man, I think the clutch is worn out." I finally told him to GTFO, we pushed it one more time and I got it popped the first time. One of those "America need better driver training" moments.

...or "a shred of common sense". The phrase is "pop the clutch" because you pop that motherfucker quick. Armed with only this knowledge I successfully pop started my car the first time I tried it. :v:

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
In high school my old Volvo kept going through generators, and during the periods when they weren't working I got awfully good at popping the clutch. I even did it in reverse a couple times :science:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Before I knew what car maintenance was all about I must have push-started my MX-3 10-15 times. I once push started it in my apartment's gravel lot which was only about 40'x40' with a little help. It was nerve-wracking but I got it running.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I popstarted my bike for about 6 months before I decided to buy a new battery.

Now a 2.5 ton truck? yeah nope. you'll drop your nuts on the pavement before moving that hunk of metal.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Now a 2.5 ton truck? yeah nope. you'll drop your nuts on the pavement before moving that hunk of metal.

That's what long, steep hills are for. For a few months I used to only park facing downhill on the nearest steepest hill.

It's hard when you live in the prairies, sometimes I backed into peoples' driveways just to get some of that sweet sweet slope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

este posted:

In high school my old Volvo kept going through generators, and during the periods when they weren't working I got awfully good at popping the clutch. I even did it in reverse a couple times :science:

Reverse typically has the shortest gear (even shorter than 1st) - so it's most likely to spin the engine over when you pop the clutch, if you have enough momentum. :science:

If you don't have enough momentum, it's the most likely to just lock up the wheels.

I've tried to roll start the Ion down a hill a couple of times for giggles, even with a full battery. It'll start, but either it'll run fine, or the throttle doesn't respond at all. If the throttle doesn't respond, it starts around 1500 RPM (cold idle is 1100), and it slowly drops until it dies. :confused: drat COMPUTERS :corsair:

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Your enjoyment of the Mighty Boosh is completely based on whether you want to strangle Noel Fielding or not after watching for five minutes.

I kind of have a man crush on him, so there's that.

• Locked thread