Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh it's symbolic I get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I couldn't hear, why are the dogs attacking the deer and they have to kill them?

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
I like the premise and some of the actors, but the artsy bullshit has already reached critical mass one episode in

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
I am no elmer fudd but couldn't a moose totally out run those dogs with a head start?

I think I will give it another week or to. I spent most of the time watching the clock to see how much time was left.

nopants
May 29, 2004

SgtSteel91 posted:

I couldn't hear, why are the dogs attacking the deer and they have to kill them?

I assume the dogs attacked out of sport or as part of some primitive ritual.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

I was certainly intrigued. I'll definitely tune in next week... the scene at the end and the parade were pretty neat in my opinion. I hope the "bad poo poo" alluded to starts happening pretty hard and fast

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I mean, gently caress, it's Lindelof...but that was a decent first episode...

This is going to end horribly but that last scene was pretty crazy.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

sd6 posted:

I like the premise and some of the actors, but the artsy bullshit has already reached critical mass one episode in

Yeah, I'm all for existentialist cinema and television and I'm interested in this because of Theroux and Eccleston but this pilot was a mess all around.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Well I'm miserably depressed. Gonna stick around out of morbid fascination but JESUS CHRIST

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

It was fairly intriguing besides the TEEN PARTY bullshit and you all seem to hate it so I'm convinced it's worth watching

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

yo that poo poo was lame

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I mean I'm obviously in because post-BB summers don't have much to offer and there were some excellent scenes, but dear lord the music was way over the top.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

Dogs went wild(maybe rabid) after the not-rapture

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I mean I'm obviously in because post-BB summers don't have much to offer and there were some excellent scenes, but dear lord the music was way over the top.

The acting was fine but the cheesy piano music ruined a few of those scenes. I'm still gonna watch it in the weeks to come as I wait for Boardwalk Empire to come back.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
I'll keep watching for now. I've seen worse

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I wonder if some of that is just a very very slick pilot that may have been a little overproduced. I'll at least tune in next week to see how things shake out but I really didn't find that much that grabbed me. It's extremely pretty however.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I loved every second of it and can't wait for more. The concept of every dog who saw someone disappear just short circuiting and going feral is awesome.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
I agree with a lot of other that I found the show boring overall. It's interesting to contemplate what religious life in the United States would look like after a rapture like event, I'd guess that the country might turn theocratic, but it just seems like the show is just focusing on two little cults. There really wasn't even enough of the plotline with the son and the black prophet character for me to really get any kind of clear sense of what that was about, or really even get invested in it at all. I may try one more episode and hope it gets better but I have to say it did a bad job of hooking me.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I just can't take this show seriously with the ladies in white that smoke cigarettes and try to look menacing thing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

oswald ownenstein posted:

I just can't take this show seriously with the ladies in white that smoke cigarettes and try to look menacing thing.

It helps to pretend that the cult are just really determined IRL trolls.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

The scene with them parading out of the house in slow motion to some song with a huge, prominent beat was really disorienting and hilarious.

I don't get what they're after.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I do dig the piano music because it reminds me of Amnesia : A Machine for Pigs.

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow
So how long till someone makes that app for real?

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
I am about half way through the episode and it hasn't captured me at all. this is just sort of disjointed and weird.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I dunno I thought it was pretty good. It seems like it's intentionally going for a slower, melancholic pace, and that's fine by me. Also a feeling of disorientation is kind of the point. But yeah gently caress stupid moody "teen" storyline, it was the worst part of the pilot by far. I'm not optimistic about Liv Tyler either but I guess we'll see.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I liked it a lot, but I have to admit that it's alarming that pretty much every single quote from Lindelof is saying something along the lines of "We don't ever really need to know why they were raptured! It's about the characters!" That's fine, to a point. But I think it's ultimately a cop out for a show to run, say, six seasons, and then not answer the main premise. Answers or no, I liked Lost, and I think I'll continue to enjoy this, but I'd vastly prefer some kind of resolution at some point.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 30, 2014

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
That was a really cool pilot.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

gently caress the haters. I really really liked it and want to see where this is going.

Though honestly I was sold as soon as I saw the trailer with the James Blake soundtrack.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The actors and actresses in this are so generically LL Bean model attractive that I am forgetting who they are on a scene by scene basis :/

They could have used some actual facial features.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jean Eric Burn posted:

The actors and actresses in this are so generically LL Bean model attractive that I am forgetting who they are on a scene by scene basis :/

They could have used some actual facial features.

Yeah, I have to say, I would be amazed if this didn't start out as a CW project with that casting.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Nichael posted:

I liked it a lot, but I have to admit that it's alarming that pretty much every single quote from Lindelof is saying something along the lines of "We don't ever really need to know why they were raptured! It's about the characters!" That's fine, to a point. But I think it's ultimately a cop out for a show to run, say, six seasons, and then not answer the main premise. Answers or no, I liked Lost, and I think I'll continue to enjoy this, but I'd vastly prefer some kind of resolution at some point.

The main premise isn't 'what happened'. The premise is 'what would happen to a bunch of people if 2% of the world disappeared with no explanation one day', which the show will presumably answer during those six seasons by showing what'll happen to those people.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
I expected to see a third child in the family photo, whose disappearance would've been the cause of the mom going geno. You'd figure your immediate family surviving a mass extinction/disappearance would draw you closer to them and not withdraw completely, but I guess not. So I'm interested in that back story. I could've used some more exposition about what the cults believe in. Smoking = enlightenment? The black guy is magic? The show is intriguing, but I like having Answers (though if the disappearance is never explained that's ok/not what the show is about) and I get the feeling the show will annoy me.

quote:

I do dig the piano music because it reminds me of Amnesia : A Machine for Pigs.
Reminded me of a Google commercial.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Whoa. I'm generally surprised that it seems I'm in the minority here in liking the pilot.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Well, after the choke-jerk scene I regretted recommending this to my dad based on the previews.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I couldn't help but compare this show to "The Returned" while watching it, which is kind of like The Leftovers in reverse. And while I did find The Leftovers compelling and will continue watching, it really pales in comparison.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Promoted Pawn posted:

Though honestly I was sold as soon as I saw the trailer with the James Blake soundtrack.

I love James Blake but I am torn between "hey congrats on the sync that means he got money!" and "man what a terrible usage of an otherwise beautiful song". I didn't think it was possible for me to react this way to that song but I actively groaned. I just don't think it fit at all much like that entire teen party scene.

Notsosubtle
Oct 30, 2008
It's funny that every review talked about this show potentially dividing viewers even though most reviews were positive - but I couldn't quite see how that would happen having read the book and seeing the people involved, etc. This seems like the type of fare one would expect from HBO at this point, and there's so much quality and conceptual richness, you'd figure people would be on board. I could see being turned off by the bleakness of tone, but instead there's a lot of Lost backlash that people seem to be harboring still. I'm glad that I managed to watch that show, enjoy it, be let down by the finale, and then move on - benefiting from the creative environment that shows like Lost help usher in.

Yet, from what I can see in here, that divisiveness is exactly what seems to be happening. However, it seems to me that the first reactions to True Detective were somewhat similar, so who knows. What I frankly can't get my head around is why a show that is so very obviously not concerned with investigating the ins and outs of a Rapture-like event is somehow still entitled to provide said answers. The show is presenting an event that is completely arbitrary and inexplicable - the ultimate "natural" disaster that no one can explain or hope to predict and that robs everyone of any evidence beyond absence - and examining how a small community might react in its wake. Is that really such a grievous sin? The points of interest aren't in cause or explanation they are in musing about questions such as: 'what's the difference between evidence of divinity if it ultimately provides no concrete answers and no evidence at all?'

To paraphrase what Alan Sepinwall just said in his review of this episode: this show knows exactly what it is, and it isn't trying to be anything else. If you want it to be, then its not for you. Personally, I really enjoyed that it prioritized emphasizing the melancholic atmosphere and the sheer aura of confusion that everyone would still be mired in, over substantial plotting and enumerated answers.

Also, for god's sake, James Blake isn't 'artsy' - sheesh - but to each his own I guess.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Cool Cherry Cream posted:

I expected to see a third child in the family photo, whose disappearance would've been the cause of the mom going geno. You'd figure your immediate family surviving a mass extinction/disappearance would draw you closer to them and not withdraw completely, but I guess not.

That was kind of the point, I thought. Something so profoundly weird and inexplicable happened that an indirectly affected family of four all sort of went their separate ways while trying to cope with it. The mother joined a cult but still has to deal with abandoning her family when the subject is brought up, the brother joined a separate (as far as we know) cult but is still miserable, while the father and daughter still loosely maintain a family unit but separately manage their pain in unhealthy ways. Things are broken at the societal level.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Well, count me into the "I liked it" crowd. Didn't particularly care too much for the daughter being a moody teen but I can see why her life is super hosed up (more below) but the party scene was kinda weird, but it kinda got back on track when she met those two dudes with the Prius and buried the dog.

Barlow posted:

I agree with a lot of other that I found the show boring overall. It's interesting to contemplate what religious life in the United States would look like after a rapture like event, I'd guess that the country might turn theocratic, but it just seems like the show is just focusing on two little cults. There really wasn't even enough of the plotline with the son and the black prophet character for me to really get any kind of clear sense of what that was about, or really even get invested in it at all. I may try one more episode and hope it gets better but I have to say it did a bad job of hooking me.

Cool Cherry Cream posted:

I expected to see a third child in the family photo, whose disappearance would've been the cause of the mom going geno. You'd figure your immediate family surviving a mass extinction/disappearance would draw you closer to them and not withdraw completely, but I guess not. So I'm interested in that back story. I could've used some more exposition about what the cults believe in. Smoking = enlightenment? The black guy is magic? The show is intriguing, but I like having Answers (though if the disappearance is never explained that's ok/not what the show is about) and I get the feeling the show will annoy me.

Yeah, I don't think the show is going to go big on explaining things, they're just gonna toss us into the middle of it. Even Lindelof said himself he isn't sure how, if the show will even warrant going past 1 season if there isn't good material; he's not gonna chug at the mystery machine to keep people watching.

But to answer your questions, it was pretty obvious the black prophet is probably some sort of charlatan who thinks he can commune with all the people who disappeared. The congressman clearly was looking "unburdened" after the visit. I'm guessing all the girls there are the guy's personal harem or something. It's just a straight up cult, probably. He thinks that after 3 years the grace period for mourning is over and it's their turn to shine.

Also it was pretty obvious that the wife that turned to the Guilty Remnant was driven away by her husband. I'm not entirely sure exactly what the GR are doing as of now except to remind people the departed are gone and never coming back; not sure how their silence or weird stalking is about.

And the show pretty much explained why his wife left him from the bar scene, and the other quick flashbacks that establish it. Kevin Garvey (the cop) was cheating on his wife, and the woman she was loving got not-raptured away, which is why he freaked the gently caress out/people sort of know that in this smaller town. The son tried to kill himself (jumping off a roof) to possibly join the departed or something (despite his family still all being there; maybe friends I guess). I'm guessing the daughter was too young, father was hosed up/freaking out, mother left because she wanted to be vindictive or whatever, so yeah, I'm not surprised his daughter is moody.

It's all there guys. I'm sure the fake commission in the start of the episode was also just intentionally trolling people as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Notsosubtle posted:

Yet, from what I can see in here, that divisiveness is exactly what seems to be happening. However, it seems to me that the first reactions to True Detective were somewhat similar, so who knows. What I frankly can't get my head around is why a show that is so very obviously not concerned with investigating the ins and outs of a Rapture-like event is somehow still entitled to provide said answers. The show is presenting an event that is completely arbitrary and inexplicable - the ultimate "natural" disaster that no one can explain or hope to predict and that robs everyone of any evidence beyond absence - and examining how a small community might react in its wake. Is that really such a grievous sin? The points of interest aren't in cause or explanation they are in musing about questions such as: 'what's the difference between evidence of divinity if it ultimately provides no concrete answers and no evidence at all?'

So, yeah, they've said they're not interested in exploring the central mystery of the show but rather the impact that mystery has on the people who are left behind. Fine, good. Where I run into some trouble, however, is when the pilot goes and introduces some increasingly fantastical elements that seem to be adding additional layers of mystery on top of the original mystery; all the while, we're being told by the show's creators, from the outset, that we shouldn't be focusing on these mysteries and that these mysteries will never be resolved.

• Locked thread