Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

You've done it. You've beaten the movie. You win. Your prize is you no longer have to discuss the film with anyone, at all. Other points of view are Officially Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Yoshifan823 posted:

Note I said "No one who isn't an idiot."

Also, holy gently caress you are placing too much emphasis on a "plot hole" that would be filler in a loving Buzzfeed article. You are right that in the real world, Jenny probably wouldn't know that Superman was the one out saving the world and that kept her from dying, but guess what, It's a movie! Movies do not have to be 100% accurate to real life, and if this is the thing that bothers you (which it probably is just a symptom as opposed to a root), then you are missing the point in a spectacular way.

Wyoming can be abrasive but I don't believe he is an idiot. He made a good post just above, with the pictures.

Also BrianWilly never said anything about plot holes or accuracy. He's talking about directorial choices and the impact they have on the whole piece. When you have characters, even minor ones, say and do things that don't follow from what they just experienced, it creates a certain effect. That's not always a bad or wrong or inappropriate choice to make but BW was accurate in describing the effect it creates. Your take is basically "small choices don't add up to a larger whole! It's just a movie, not a sculpted experience where everything that the director makes happen conveys something!"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Man. Why are you still arguing this incredibly pedantic crap?

The original quote I was responding to claimed that Superman didn't save Jenny and in fact didn't really save anyone because he is a failure. This is objectively false because he destroyed the terraforming machine and literally saved everyone, including Jenny. The author of the original article was blatantly lying to make Superman and by extension the movie seem bad, but it turns out he was wrong and stupid like Yoshifan said!

You chose to nitpick my argument by zeroing in on an aspect of it that neither I or the original author made any claims about. You apparently thought this was the best point to plant your flag in because it seemed like the easiest to argue, but to your surprise people are arguing against it and it is so frustrating and :psyduck: for you.

Even if everyone was to concede this point, what does that mean about the original article? Is it now validated because a point the author never made has been successfully argued by you?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

DNS posted:

Also BrianWilly never said anything about plot holes or accuracy. He's talking about directorial choices and the impact they have on the whole piece. When you have characters, even minor ones, say and do things that don't follow from what they just experienced, it creates a certain effect. That's not always a bad or wrong or inappropriate choice to make but BW was accurate in describing the effect it creates. Your take is basically "small choices don't add up to a larger whole! It's just a movie, not a sculpted experience where everything that the director makes happen conveys something!"

The thing Jenny said did follow from her direct experience, though, since her direct experience was to go from almost dying while alien machines flew around overhead to being alive and safe with an empty-except-for-Superman-holding-Lois sky overhead. You have to begin with the assumption that the character we're talking about is ignorant and stupid to argue that it's actually unreasonable for her to conclude that she was saved by Superman. Now, if you actually want to talk about the film as though it were a film rather than a historical document, you can just take it as given that Jenny represents the takeaway of Superman the man-on-the-ground has developed and not worry about the precise sequence of between-scene events that allowed her to develop that understanding - the back-and-forth between her being about to die and Superman taking down the world engine/scout ship tells you everything you need to know.

In general, I am sympathetic to BrianWilly's desire to attack the movie, just perplexed by the way he's going about it. Man of Steel subverts normal Superman stories by telling a completely by-the-numbers Superman story (bad guys come to earth and threaten it, but Superman saves it, the end) whose details and tone don't match up with viewer expectations. The plot is very mechanistic and logical and pretty much every scene arises from the material conditions postulated by the film's premise, so you're only going to flounder if you start asking inane questions about how character X knew Y or why character P didn't do Q. That's all in there already and it's pointless to use it as a proxy for your actual complaints about the main character's decision making being so abstract and calculating or about the consequences of the story's action being so brutal and uncompromising. I liked that Man of Steel unfolded in such a coldly logical way, while good friends of mine found it offputting. This is completely fine and has nothing to do with whether Zod should properly have been able to beat Jor in a fistfight or something.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 2, 2014

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Ferrinus posted:

The thing Jenny said did follow from her direct experience, though, since her direct experience was to go from almost dying while alien machines flew around overhead to being alive and safe with an empty-except-for-Superman-holding-Lois sky overhead. You have to begin with the assumption that the character we're talking about is ignorant and stupid to argue that it's actually unreasonable for her to conclude that she was saved by Superman. Now, if you actually want to talk about the film as though it were a film rather than a historical document, you can just take it as given that Jenny represents the takeaway of Superman the man-on-the-ground has developed and not worry about the precise sequence of between-scene events that allowed her to develop that understanding - the back-and-forth between her being about to die and Superman taking down the world engine/scout ship tells you everything you need to know.

In general, I am sympathetic to BrianWilly's desire to attack the movie, just perplexed by the way he's going about it. Man of Steel subverts normal Superman stories by telling a completely by-the-numbers Superman story (bad guys come to earth and threaten it, but Superman saves it, the end) whose details and tone don't match up with viewer expectations. The plot is very mechanistic and logical and pretty much every scene arises from the material conditions postulated by the film's premise, so you're only going to flounder if you start asking inane questions about how character X knew Y or why character P didn't do Q. That's all in there already and it's pointless to use it as a proxy for your actual complaints about the main character's decision making being so abstract and calculating or about the consequences of the story's action being so brutal and uncompromising.

I don't feel confident that I can argue from a character motivation perspective whether or not she should've emerged from the rubble hailing Superman a hero or not. We don't know a lot about Jenny, and we get little sense of her POV, so you can probably fudge it in either direction. I will say I believe, going back to your (very good) posts about the final battle's lack of clarity, if she came out from under the rubble and exhibited uncertainty about what happened, who won and why, it would've recalled the cinematic approach to the Zod fight and the film would appear more patterned and purposeful. When we watch the fight that we got, and we presume Jenny saw it too and she comes to the immediate conclusion that Superman is an Epic Hero, it creates a disconnect and gives the appearance of not having been thought through. It's a character telling us one thing after showing us something else.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What I really want is for Superman to save us from this conversation.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
There is a flying alien going all over the place saving people, the horrible gravity well that was crushing everything has stopped, the alien spacecraft have been blown up by a flying object, this flying alien just floated down for some R&R with Louis. I can't possibly imagined who saved everyone. I am just stumped.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

DNS posted:

I don't feel confident that I can argue from a character motivation perspective whether or not she should've emerged from the rubble hailing Superman a hero or not. We don't know a lot about Jenny, and we get little sense of her POV, so you can probably fudge it in either direction. I will say I believe, going back to your (very good) posts about the final battle's lack of clarity, if she came out from under the rubble and exhibited uncertainty about what happened, who won and why, it would've recalled the cinematic approach to the Zod fight and the film would appear more patterned and purposeful. When we watch the fight that we got, and we presume Jenny saw it too and she comes to the immediate conclusion that Superman is an Epic Hero, it creates a disconnect and gives the appearance of not having been thought through. It's a character telling us one thing after showing us something else.

Jenny emerges from the rubble before the Zod fight, though (I don't think the Zod fight was supposed to be unclear, incidentally). There's no question in the audience's mind as to what went down with the world engine and the singularity bomb and so on - Superman and The Troops had a plan to defeat the two Kryptonian spaceships and executed that plan pretty much to spec. There's no confusion in the viewer's mind as to what happened, so why should we see confusion in Jenny's?

I mean, she probably did come out of the rubble confused and scared and so on and was only able to piece together even a broad-strokes version of what happened when she saw her friend Lois together with Superman in a calm and peaceful endboss arena, but we the audience weren't shown the entire sequence of Jenny's reasoning because the film isn't actually about Jenny.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Yeah I couldn't remember when the rubble emerging actually happened. I assumed it was at the very end or something.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Oh man, yeah, it would've been bizarre for some side character to emerge from the ruins and cry "he saved us!" right after the neck snap, both in terms of tone and in terms of logistics.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Guy A. Person posted:

Man. Why are you still arguing this incredibly pedantic crap?
The claim of tone-deafness from the original article is entirely valid due to the delusional nature of Jenny's realization. For a citizen of Metropolis...a citizen of Earth...to recognize and verbalize Superman's heroic nature should be a significantly triumphant moment for the character, and that is what the film intended to portray. However, the significance of the moment is soundly ruined by the fact that it makes no bloody sense for the character to say this. Despite the fact that Superman genuinely earned this moment because he was genuinely pivotal to saving everyone, the moment still ends up feeling unearned and forced because the citizenry's recognition of his efforts comes from an nonsensical source. Hence, tone-deafness.

This isn't nearly the worst thing about the film, but it's symptomatic of the larger issue wherein the film attempts to depict some sort of significant moment but ends up ruining it with some sort of absurd narrative choice. The Pa Kent tornado scene is another good example of a similar problem.

And I'm "still arguing this incredibly pedantic crap" because the excuses people continue to come up with to try to explain away this bit of bad writing are just about as specious and faulty as the scene itself. Case in point:

Ferrinus posted:

Actually, I didn't make up that Jenny works at the news organization most closely tied to Superman or that you have founded your claims on the premise that she is an idiot. You even said she'd be as likely to believe that Lois saved everyone as Superman! It boggles the mind.
Nope, wrong. Once again you've either misunderstood the film or are deliberate attempting to be misleading. The Daily Planet is only the news organization "most closely tied" to Superman in the same way that a drop of water is the wettest thing in a desert, which is to say, Superman isn't closely tied to the Daily Planet at this point in the film at all. The only thing he has to do with the Planet is that Lois was pursuing a story on him, which she eventually agreed not to publish! To try to portray this as if the Daily Planet had some kind of inside scoop on his demeanor and activities is a flagrant contortion of the storyline. And even if they did (they didn't), what the heck does that have anything to do with them knowing his activities with the military operation?

I said that it would be as logical for Jenny to believe Lois saved everyone as it would be for her to believe Superman did so, not to mean that it was very likely for her to believe these things, but show that both situations would have been equivocally dubious from her perspective. "Superman is physically present right now so it must mean he stopped the attack" is not a logical deduction, because Lois is also present at the exact same time and place. Moreover, any number of things could have stopped the attack...and did! Superman may have stopped the monstrosity in the Indian Ocean to allow the military planes to do their jobs, but it was the military that actually sent the Kryptonians away, without ending up conveniently located in front of Jenny for her to wonder at.

I'm beginning to think that the only way people can defend the problems and dissonances of this film is to flat-out think up storylines that didn't exist and invent background information to fill in the gaps that need to be filled so that things can actually make sense, or else to alleviate the criticism that all the mean ol' naysayers keep on being mean about. Superman didn't cause so many deaths...because Metropolis was virtually empty all this time! Jenny knew exactly what Superman was all about...because she was in secret contact with the US military!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

The claim of tone-deafness from the original article is entirely valid due to the delusional nature of Jenny's realization.

Even if you choose to use the same language to describe a completely different flaw, it is still a completely different flaw.

The article is saying that the scene was tone-deaf because Jenny's declaration was at odds with what actually happened, hence the scene was supposed to be triumphant but was instead horrific (because Superman failed them). You are saying that the scene is tone deaf because Jenny's declaration is confusing, so while the scene is still triumphant, your immersion was ruined by the character saying something confusing and nonsensical. "Confusing" isn't even really a tone.

BrianWilly posted:

I'm beginning to think that the only way people can defend the problems and dissonances of this film is to flat-out think up storylines that didn't exist and invent background information to fill in the gaps that need to be filled so that things can actually make sense

Jenny says Superman saved them and she is correct, he saved them. Even if you are 100% right in all of your arguments you cannot deny that the preceding sentence is a fact. Those of us who don't believe/care about how nonsensical this is are not "thinking up storylines" or "inventing background information" to make things make sense, they make sense because they are objectively true. We do not need a full backstory to this single line of dialogue.

Jenny says Superman saved them and she is correct. Nobody else but you cares how she reached those conclusions because she is speaking the truth regardless.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
BWilly you have really bad problem solving skills.

Very few people died in the context of the entire world being saved.

Supermen is a metaphorical character. Jenny's rescue by Perry White is intercut with Superman fighting the machine. Supermen represents the good in all humanity, including Perry. Perry was fully prepared to die, but there was a small hope that Superman would stop the machine. This was, again, represented by the intercutting of the two sequences.

Perry told Jenny, offscreen, that Superman must have saved them.

If you asked Superman, he would say that they saved him, because it was Perry's courage that gave him the power to defeat the machine.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Nope, wrong. Once again you've either misunderstood the film or are deliberate attempting to be misleading. The Daily Planet is only the news organization "most closely tied" to Superman in the same way that a drop of water is the wettest thing in a desert, which is to say, Superman isn't closely tied to the Daily Planet at this point in the film at all. The only thing he has to do with the Planet is that Lois was pursuing a story on him, which she eventually agreed not to publish! To try to portray this as if the Daily Planet had some kind of inside scoop on his demeanor and activities is a flagrant contortion of the storyline. And even if they did (they didn't), what the heck does that have anything to do with them knowing his activities with the military operation?

I gotta tell you, it would be a lot harder to retort you if you didn't do me a solid by contradicting yourself in the space of a breath. Yes, Lois knows everything about Superman and furthermore has a circle of friends at the Planet who've been following her exploits. They've had ample opportunity to read the story she wrote about Superman and then leaked through that internet guy. Lois had plenty of time to get in touch with them (as well as her family members or whatever) between her touchdown in Kansas and her participation in the kamikazi plan.

Note, though, that really all this establishes is motive. You don't need any kind of top secret military clearance to know that Superman is a super strong alien who fights the other super strong aliens because he actually, literally did fight the other super strong aliens in a public area, in full view of countless civilians, and to the ultimate approval of the military. That one soldier said "They're calling him Superman, sir." Who's "they"? Are we to believe Superman's been in personal, clandestine contact with howevermany battalions of troops? No, it's just that Superman stopped being a secret as of the brawl in Smallville. Anyone who cared to familiarize themselves had ample chance to. This is insanely obvious.

quote:

I said that it would be as logical for Jenny to believe Lois saved everyone as it would be for her to believe Superman did so, not to mean that it was very likely for her to believe these things, but show that both situations would have been equivocally dubious from her perspective. "Superman is physically present right now so it must mean he stopped the attack" is not a logical deduction, because Lois is also present at the exact same time and place. Moreover, any number of things could have stopped the attack...and did! Superman may have stopped the monstrosity in the Indian Ocean to allow the military planes to do their jobs, but it was the military that actually sent the Kryptonians away, without ending up conveniently located in front of Jenny for her to wonder at.

Right, because you think that Jenny is necessarily an idiot. Jenny would surely assume that the military finally came through for her - even though she and other Metropolis bystanders watched firsthand as US jets not only failed to so much as scratch the alien warship but actually annihilated countless humans in the process of trying (recall that redirected missiles and pinwheeling jet planes always reached way farther than the slowly-growing Kryptonian gravity zone). Maybe this is because she's really gullible or patriotic or something. Also, having seen Superman and Lois descending from the sky, she'd really have no more justification in assuming that Superman was Lois down than to assume that Lois was flying Superman down, because I guess Jenny is also a radical skeptic and/or solipsist who hasn't grasped even the most basic facts about Superman's properties or allegiances. This is consistent with the fact that Lois spends the entire movie wondering at Superman's secret identity, such that her "Welcome to the planet" line is ironic only to we in the audience, establishing the great privilege our viewpoint has over that of any of the human characters.

The problem here is that you're carrying assumptions about comic book characters over to movie characters, specifically that every human in a Superman story is by necessity an incurious moron who'll never actually reach independent conclusions about things because that would interfere with their ability to be exposited at. Since Man of Steel doesn't need to churn out a new story every month it can afford to be basically charitable even to its least powerful, least important characters, and afford to them the basic dignity of deducing that two and two make four.

quote:

I'm beginning to think that the only way people can defend the problems and dissonances of this film is to flat-out think up storylines that didn't exist and invent background information to fill in the gaps that need to be filled so that things can actually make sense, or else to alleviate the criticism that all the mean ol' naysayers keep on being mean about. Superman didn't cause so many deaths...because Metropolis was virtually empty all this time! Jenny knew exactly what Superman was all about...because she was in secret contact with the US military!

See, none of this is true. No one needs to be in secret contact with anything. This stuff follows obviously from the events of the movie... to anyone who doesn't have a preexisting axe to grind with the themes and tones of the movie, such that they deliberately forget, misread, or just plain fail to extrapolate from the incredibly simple stuff that happens onscreen.

Like I said, criticisms of "plot holes" - and I'm not just talking about Man of Steel, here - are fundamentally dishonest. They always boil down to "I'm going to pretend that the movie screen is actually a window into a really-existing and internally-coherent alternate universe... except for the part of that universe I don't like." It's, like, an attempt to summon the collective will by which some offending element can be blasted from canon. But that doesn't work - if you want to start being empirical about it, you have to be empirical the whole way through, taking events that didn't make sense to you at first blush and figuring out how to explain them rather than whining about not wanting to explain them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Guy A. Person posted:

Jenny says Superman saved them and she is correct. Nobody else but you cares how she reached those conclusions because she is speaking the truth regardless.
I'm the only one who cares if there are illogical events or nonsensical characterizations in this film? Screw having coherent rationales for things as long as these character-mouthpieces are able to make broad expositions telling us what we're supposed to feel?

Well that certainly does explain a lot.

Just to be clear, Jenny's declaration isn't confusing...not in the way you suggest. I understand what she's meant to do perfectly. She just does it in a way that makes no sense. Characters doing things they shouldn't logically do is a form of bad writing.

Superman gaining the trust of Metropolis, if not necessarily the rest of the human race, is one of the key moments of his story. How exactly he manages to do this should therefore be a key moment of his character that is satisfyingly revelatory upon scrutiny. And the way he does this in MoS is...well, evidently he kinda just shows up at the right place and at the right time and someone, who should be in no way informed of these events, simply makes a haphazard deduction as to what he's been up to that just manages to actually be correct by pure happenstance of Truthiness or something.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

It isn't the film's fault you can't make even the most basic of deductions.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

sleepingbuddha posted:

They specifically say 1300 in TF4, which just seems absolutely loving ridiculous.

Maybe he forgot to add a 'per hour' to that number.

However, to derail a bit, every Transformers movies almost feels like it exists in a different universe than the one that came before it. Given how well Chicago seemed to recover in just a few years, in TF4's reality the Battle for Chicago was just a Mission City-level war.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I just watched this movie for the first time a few hours ago and I have to agree with BrianWilly, although certainly not with the manner he's trying to get his point across.

The way the events unfold is that Superman destroys the terraformer and flies to the other side of the planet, knocks a gunship out of the way or something so the military guy from Law & Order can crash his ship into other gravity machine. Superman gets up out of the rubble after Lois begins falling and he rescues her and sets her down and that's when Jenny gets up to exclaim Superman saved everyone. It ends up feeling really weird because you know Superman just got there.

Speaking of the gravity machine ship thing, I guess the producers from the '90s who wanted a mechanical spider in their Superman movie from Kevin Smith got their wish. ;-*

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

setafd posted:

The way the events unfold is that Superman destroys the terraformer and flies to the other side of the planet, knocks a gunship out of the way or something so the military guy from Law & Order can crash his ship into other gravity machine. Superman gets up out of the rubble after Lois begins falling and he rescues her and sets her down and that's when Jenny gets up to exclaim Superman saved everyone. It ends up feeling really weird because you know Superman just got there.

You know he just got there. Jenny only knew she was saved by someone, then saw Superman saving someone.

But of course BrianWilly is correct and Lous logically is just as likely to have saved everybody as the guy who can fly.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This has got to be the worst thread on the whole forum.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Grendels Dad posted:

You know he just got there. Jenny only knew she was saved by someone, then saw Superman saving someone.

But of course BrianWilly is correct and Lous logically is just as likely to have saved everybody as the guy who can fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTl81iYhIJM&t=66s

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

Holy crap Lous

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
The first official pic of Superman in Dark Knight Rises:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Going to guess that's Gotham.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's clearly Sin City.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Even from that skyline, Gotham does not look like a place I want to live.

I'm looking forward to this. :)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Nightmare Superman

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ferrinus posted:

Nightmare Superman

Superman in Crime Alley

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
Everybody seems so drat sad in this movie. Wanna cheer Superman up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Superman in Crime Alley

If they figured out a way to twist it so that Superman was somehow responsible for the death of Batman's parents it would be loving amazing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mister J posted:

Everybody seems so drat sad in this movie. Wanna cheer Superman up.

America is still in a national state of mourning after Superman killed all those people.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Cavill's looking a lot older. I think that hairstyle ages him.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

America is still in a national state of mourning after Superman killed all those people.

World Engine was an inside job.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Even from that skyline, Gotham does not look like a place I want to live.

Yeah, even though that's a temp background, I imagined they used it because it's not far off from what the CGI Gotham will look like in the finished product. Looks like there's oil refineries every other block.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

DNS posted:

I thought it looked a bit different. I really like it. It brings some gravitas.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

setafd posted:

Speaking of the gravity machine ship thing, I guess the producers from the '90s who wanted a mechanical spider in their Superman movie from Kevin Smith got their wish. ;-*

"They told me it was unfilmable! They told me a giant space squid would look ridiculous, they said it would ruin the whole tone of my comic book movie! I'll show them, heh heh, I'll show them ALL!" But really, a giant mechanical spider isn't exactly a ridiculous thing for Superman to fight, Braniac and Hank Henshaw have both taken the form of mechanical spiders before.

DNS posted:

That shot looks to me like they don't want to make this movie happen directly after Man of Steel, maybe they're going to say this is five or ten years after MoS and Superman has been around the block a few times.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 3, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Kush posted:

The first official pic of Superman in Dark Knight Rises:

This looks very much like a painting and im failing to understand why anyone hasn't seen that but instead are gooning out about how old he looks and how awesome Gotham is etc...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What makes you think people have failed to see that?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
It looks like a bad painting that would be on some foil embossed trading cards from the 90s.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Network Pesci posted:

That shot looks to me like they don't want to make this movie happen directly after Man of Steel, maybe they're going to say this is five or ten years after MoS and Superman has been around the block a few times.

It looks very similar to the original poster of Man of Steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What makes you think people have failed to see that?

• Locked thread